• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I genuinely don't think Disguise needs to be used when adding Mimikyu. For starters, fighting with a busted head is gonna look hella wierd. Second, its just unnecessary.

Mimikyu can do just fine as another addition to the roster without some wierd gimmick attached to it.
Disguise is the whole identify, theme and flavor of Mimikyu. I don't know how you love the character, yet want it to enter the game without the whole idea behind the pokemon. Just have it be a pokeball summon then.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Zelda also never used Din's fire, Nayru's love and Farore's wind, and that was done way before Zelda being a reincarnation of Hylia was established. Summoning the spirits of the champions when she's literally their leader makes way too much sense imo
I don't have a problem with Zelda taking the Champion moves even though she didn't use them, she's the leader of the champions so I'd rather her get them than Link.

My problem is that it seems like it would be getting a little ahead of the Zelda series. These champions have only been in one game, and Sakurai would just change Zelda's entire arsenal to work around that one game? I don't think that's very likely. Sakurai always goes on record saying that he wants to represent characters to their highest degree, and to what they are in their games. And while sometimes he doesn't quite capture that (*cough*Ganondorf*cough*), I think he hit the nail on the head with Zelda's moveset.

She is the wielder of the Triforce of Wisdom, has always been for many games. In OoT, she is one of the sages, and a skilled mage at that. That's why the goddess powers were incorporated into her moveset, and despite those moves only appearing in OoT, they fit her character throughout the entire series. Plus, her reveal in SS as being a descendant of Hylia further cements having a moveset like this. On the other hand, you have Champion abilities, or even the Sheikah slate. Those only appear in one game; we have no idea if those are going to be mainstays in the Zelda series! What happens when the next Zelda games come out and they're totally different from BotW, have no mention of the Champions, and we still have a Zelda in the Smash series with some weird moveset designed after one game?

I'd like to see what the next main Zelda game or two do. If they continue with the Sheikah slate or bring back the champions, then I'd be more okay with Zelda using them in her moveset. But as for right now, I think her moveset is fine as it capitalizes on who she is in the LoZ series (but please for the love of god buff the **** out of her).

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I still say it doesn't make sense. Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that the Champions are tied down to BotW. Any of the Zeldas can use Din, Nayru, and Farore's powers without it seeming weird or forced. What's the next incarnation of Zelda going to do if Sakurai puts her in Smash over her BotW version? Summon Revali's Gale even though Revali has absolutely nothing to do with her game? Use Mipha's Grace when she never even met Urbosa?

The Champions being in a Zelda moveset might seem okay now, but they won't make a lick of sense in the future. They'd basically be doomed to be replaced, and their abilities are so specific to them that it'll be hard for Sakurai to mask them with something else. How the heck would he be able to work around Urbosa's Fury?

These are the kind of changes I'd like to see. Instead of just throwing everything away and starting from scratch, Sakurai should look at fixing the existing problems. It's not going to be easy, but it's definitely plausible. I could see a handful of notable changes like the ones you mentioned being enough to bump our bottom tier Zelda up to a solid "C" or "D" tier character.
Urbosa's fury is essentially just the Phantom summon anyhow. The champion specials are a good way to fix her specials. They could always be visually changed into other magic or honestly, just kept (without the ghost of the Champion appearing).

Zelda is the avatar of Hylia (the creator of Hyrule) and thus, she possesses the knowledge of lore, mythos, relics and magic of the realm throughout time. She can use anything from any period of Hyrule with the proper study.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I still say it doesn't make sense. Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that the Champions are tied down to BotW. Any of the Zeldas can use Din, Nayru, and Farore's powers without it seeming weird or forced. What's the next incarnation of Zelda going to do if Sakurai puts her in Smash over her BotW version? Summon Revali's Gale even though Revali has absolutely nothing to do with her game? Use Mipha's Grace when she never even met Urbosa?

The Champions being in a Zelda moveset might seem okay now, but they won't make a lick of sense in the future. They'd basically be doomed to be replaced, and their abilities are so specific to them that it'll be hard for Sakurai to mask them with something else. How the heck would he be able to work around Urbosa's Fury?
I see this double standard way too often regarding changing Zelda's Moveset. BOTW Zelda doesn't make sense using the OOT spells just as much as future Zeldas using BOTW powers. It's basically a lose lose. Personally I'm a fan of keeping her Moveset mostly intact but changing the astethic of some of her moves (Naryu's love becomes Daruk's protection). And then in the future they can change it again.

That idea sounds like it would make Elma really imbalanced mechanically. Projectile characters generally don't have big disjointed hitboxes and sword characters usually don't have a way to menace opponents from long range. The characters that DO have both multiple projectiles and swords have either mediocre to bad mobility and recovery (:4robinm::4link:) or mediocre range and kill power (:4tlink:) to compensate. It would make more sense balance wise to have Elma be mainly projectile focused.
But..that's like the whole selling part about Elma, the only thing that interests me about her character. I swear if Elma gets in and doesn't use swords and guns I'll be really bummed :/

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Disguise is the whole identify, theme and flavor of Mimikyu. I don't know how you love the character, yet want it to enter the game without the whole idea behind the pokemon. Just have it be a pokeball summon then.
Being a Smash Run enemy would also be an option for Mimikyu, as you would have to first take down the disguise before any real damage can be dealt.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Because I don't want Mimikyu to be balanced horribly just so it can get some silly gimmick that doesn't even make sense.

Don't call me out for not wanting Disguise to be included when you want Disguise to be put in incorrectly.

For those who do not know Disguise is Mimikyu's unique ability. It won't take damage from the first offensive attack in a battle. It can be restored if you use a revive on Mimikyu after it fainted. Thats it. It does not translate well for Smash.

This whole multiple moveset thing would just make Mimikyu harder to balance for literally no good reason.

EDIT: And Disguise is not everything that makes Mimimyu Mimikyu...there are several things that set it apart other than its ability.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Because I don't want Mimikyu to be balanced horribly just so it can get some silly gimmick that doesn't even make sense.

Don't call me out for not wanting Disguise to be included when you want Disguise to be put in incorrectly.

For those who do not know Disguise is Mimikyu's unique ability. It won't take damage from the first offensive attack in a battle. It can be restored if you use a revive on Mimikyu after it fainted. Thats it. It does not translate well for Smash.

This whole multiple moveset thing would just make Mimikyu harder to balance for literally no good reason.

EDIT: And Disguise is not everything that makes Mimimyu Mimikyu...there are several things that set it apart other than its ability.
You are right about how the mechanic Disguise is utilized in the pokemon game. The purpose of the mechanic is to reflect the nature and personality and reason for existence of Mimikyu.

Mimikyu is an otherworldly creature that is feared in this new realm it finds itself in. So, the solution for the spiritual fairy is to disguise itself as the most loved animal on the planet: Pikachu. Upon its disguise becoming broken, the creature flies into a rage with the intention of beating the crap out of the vandal.

DGAMER

Smash Apprentice
Oh Hi

Sakurai would probably not want to create a fresh new moveset for Zelda in this game. Especially considering the changes he made in Smash 4 to try and make it a better more standalone character.

As a matter of fact, I firmly believe Zelda will remain with the TP design. Considering the fact that the game might just be a sequel/port like Splatoon 2, giving Zelda a new look without changing her entire moveset probably won't be well recieved.

As for Mimikyu, the pokemon just doesn't seem to be fighter material to me. A pokeball summon is way more likely.

osby

Smash Obsessed
As a matter of fact, I firmly believe Zelda will remain with the TP design. Considering the fact that the game might just be a sequel/port like Splatoon 2, giving Zelda a new look without changing her entire moveset probably won't be well recieved.
That's quite exactly what did they in Melee to Brawl period. To be honest, I don't have any problem with name changes to moves, even if goddesses are important, Link got them too.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

If she got the Champion abilities it'd be about as jarring as TP Zelda using ST's Phantom Zelda or transforming into (an albeit, redesigned) OOT's Sheik. Neither ability belong to that particular incarnation of the character, yet she still uses them since they are tied to her in other ways.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
As a matter of fact, I firmly believe Zelda will remain with the TP design.
We already know BOTW Link is appearing at least as a costume, why would Zelda stay the same? Even if her Moveset doesn't change it's all but confirmed her costume will match Link's.

Keeping an open mind however, I will be livid if she keeps her TP model. One of my least favorite Zeldas and will not live through 3 smash iterations with it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
- Change rollout into inflating like a balloon. Jigs floats up while charging.
- Releasing with cause her to fly all over the place like a deflating balloon (with some control).

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I don't really understand why people want moveset swapping. It's just extra work for very little payoff. You guys hated custom moves, and this is basically the same thing except with an entire moveset and not just specials.
Well, not to mention that transformations also change character properties. E.g. Zelda > Shiek. Of course, poor balance isn't excusable. In Melee, Shiek and Zelda were supposed to be two sides of the same coin: Zelda is the slower hard-hitter, Sheik is the fast combo-starter. In initial design, Sheik was supposed to be far weaker than Zelda. There were supposed to be trade-offs.

Keeping balance in mind, there have been notable imbalances between the characters, making transformations significantly less worthwhile. Sakurai stated that all characters are balanced in specific ways, but transformation characters were never balanced against their own counterparts. Because of these imbalances, certain character are played less than others and it makes the whole transformation gimmick pointless since no one uses transform.

Transforming was supposed to be used as a variety tool: in one scenario I use a certain character to face the issue, in another scenario I transform to fit the oncoming threat. This is how transformations were supposed to be used, but this is not how transformations are used in reality. People pick one character, and choose to stay with that character.

Now, it has happened that the transformation would cause the player to use a character they are either no good with or are terrible at using. For me, I knew that ZSS was WAY better than regular Samus in Brawl, but I sucked at using ZSS. And that transformation is FORCED at times (such as Samus has a way to get to ZSS without a Final Smash, but the vice versa does not exist. That's poor balance).

Honestly, all transformations have been handled poorly. Either the characters in question were too far from each other in effectiveness, or there was some sort of stupid gimmick that made it more difficult for select players to enjoy that character.

[Insert End of Rant here]

Speaking of Zelda, BotW design please. She has to pull from the style of the game that Link's design is pulled from. There's no other way they can handle this. The two must remain a pair, they must match each other. As much as I love TP Zelda's design, Link has changed, Zelda should too.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
If she got the Champion abilities it'd be about as jarring as TP Zelda using ST's Phantom Zelda or transforming into (an albeit, redesigned) OOT's Sheik. Neither ability belong to that particular incarnation of the character, yet she still uses them since they are tied to her in other ways.
Those are essentially one move though. Most people are advocating for a complete BotW Zelda. I think it's fine having a move or two representing different parts of Zelda, but having a complete moveset overhaul to only capture BotW is faulty logic.
We already know BOTW Link is appearing at least as a costume, why would Zelda stay the same? Even if her Moveset doesn't change it's all but confirmed her costume will match Link's.

Keeping an open mind however, I will be livid if she keeps her TP model. One of my least favorite Zeldas and will not live through 3 smash iterations with it.
I feel we'll get BotW Zelda as a costume, but I really can't see it be her default. I see Link and Zelda getting their "traditional" BotW gear; Link with his Wild set, and Zelda with her princess garbs. (also I like brunette Zelda, better than being the 11th blonde we have in the game)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Agreed.

Well, apart from Zelda's TP design, that's my favourite. It's nice to see so many people disagree with me, it seems her visual changes will be well received (and I got to see her in two games so I have no reason to complain).

I wonder how her taunts and victory animations will change, Zelda from Breath of the Wild seems a lot less solemn from previous ones in Smash, at least most of the time.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
All I'm saying is if Pikachu and Jigglypuff can be made into fighters so can Mimikyu.

The argument that Mimikyu isn't fighting material makes less sense the more you think about it.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
A single move is awkward enough, but making it to where the entire moveset involves the Champions? That's just too much of a change IMO. It's only acknowledging a single LoZ game (albeit a popular one) and throwing away everything else.

To me, it'd make just as much sense as Mario getting a complete Odyssey-inspired overhaul.

I'd be fine with TP Link and Zelda staying in the game through alts, but having the TP Zelda being the only version of Zelda we get? That's just weird and tacky as heck.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Does anyone think Zelda will be voiced???

In some ways it might be weird because she'd be the only Zelda character from our current veterans, but other characters went from mostly silent to fully voiced.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
A single move is awkward enough, but making it to where the entire moveset involves the Champions? That's just too much of a change IMO. It's only acknowledging a single LoZ game (albeit a popular one) and throwing away everything else.

To me, it'd make just as much sense as Mario getting an complete Odyssey-inspired overhaul.

I'd be fine with TP Link and Zelda staying in the game through alts, but having the TP Zelda being the only version of Zelda we get? That's just weird and tacky as heck.
Yo we are totally in sync with how we feel about Zelda :D

I could see Champions being her new Final Smash honestly. And maybe instead of Phantom Slash, we get Light Arrows? (Idk, I don't like Phantom Slash lol)

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Those are essentially one move though. Most people are advocating for a complete BotW Zelda. I think it's fine having a move or two representing different parts of Zelda, but having a complete moveset overhaul to only capture BotW is faulty logic.

To me, it'd make just as much sense as Mario getting an complete Odyssey-inspired overhaul.
The thing is it already happened before. Pit in Brawl drew heavily from the original game and his moves were derived from the Goddess weapons, in Smash 4 all of his B moves were overhauled (excluding the bow, which he does use in both games) for his moves in Uprising, and a couple of them didn't even work the same in function such as the Angel Ring and Upperdash Arm. Pit is also the same exact character, so he could've kept those moves if Sakurai wanted, yet that didn't stop him from changing up the character to be more updated to his current appearance.

I'm not saying Zelda should use all the Champion abilities, but it's not exactly out of the question either as characters have changed their movesets to reflect the more recent game.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Honestly, I am fine with any incarnation of Zelda using any magic from any game. Zelda is an avatar of Hylia. By seeking magical pools, sages, and other highlights of Hylia, Zelda acquires magic from different eras of the land.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
The thing is it already happened before. Pit in Brawl drew heavily from the original game and his moves were derived from the Goddess weapons, in Smash 4 all of his B moves were overhauled (excluding the bow, which he does use in both games) for his moves in Uprising, and a couple of them didn't even work the same in function such as the Angel Ring and Upperdash Arm. Pit is also the same exact character, so he could've kept those moves if Sakurai wanted, yet that didn't stop him from changing up the character to be more updated to his current appearance.

I'm not saying Zelda should use all the Champion abilities, but it's not exactly out of the question either as characters have changed their movesets to reflect the more recent game.
You don't think that had anything to do with the sheer amount of Uprising content Sakurai added to the game? You gotta admit that is clear bias; of course he's going to overhaul Pit after he rebirthed that franchise.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You don't think that had anything to do with the sheer amount of Uprising content Sakurai added to the game? You gotta admit that is clear bias; of course he's going to overhaul Pit after he rebirthed that franchise.
It's also because Pit's old moveset wasn't directly taken from his old games in every aspect like Angel Ring or his detachable bow. He had a redesign before Uprising was out, so I'd say he's a exceptional case.

(Also Zelda is going get new games, they can't overhaul the moveset every single time)

Last edited:

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Just cause why not. There isnt much to talk about

If dangaronpa got a rep would it be Makoto or Junko? (I know it probs wont happen but why not humor the possibility)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I genuinely don't think Disguise needs to be used when adding Mimikyu. For starters, fighting with a busted head is gonna look hella wierd. Second, its just unnecessary.

Mimikyu can do just fine as another addition to the roster without some wierd gimmick attached to it.
The Disguise is literally what makes Mimikyu stand out among the crowd though, and the basis of its entire identity. IMO either Sakurai adds Mimikyu with a moveset based around Disguise, or he won't add Mimikyu at all. It's way too integral to the character.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight

To me, it'd make just as much sense as Mario getting a complete Odyssey-inspired overhaul.
Ignoring the fact that up until Sm4sh, Zelda's moves have only referenced one game: Ocarina of Time.

Seriously, what do you think they're throwing away here? Zelda's moveset isn't some sort of legacy collection of a bunch of moves that acts as a timeless reference to past Zelda games. They're all references to a single Zelda game... from 1998. The only new one they added in Sm4sh was the Phantom Slash, which referenced Spirit Tracks (and not even Phantom Hourglass where the Phantom originated.)

If they base Zelda's new moveset off of BotW, it still falls in line with how they've treated her thus far. Pulling the majority of her moveset from a single title.

In some ways it might be weird because she'd be the only Zelda character from our current veterans, but other characters went from mostly silent to fully voiced.
Man, I HOPE SO. I loved Zelda's English VA. Listening to her geek on about that frog was adorable.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If we're going to argue bias, then BotW seems to be getting more attention then any mainline Zelda game since TP as Link is getting a redesign from that game and is even switching up to being a righty rather then a lefty like the majority of his other incarnations. That can easily translate to either (or both) Link or Zelda getting moveset changes to reflect the new game, especially since even TP Link came with his own unique tweaks like the Gale Boomerang.

Regardless, the point stands, we've had characters overhaul movesets before and we've had Zelda use moves that do not belong to that particular incarnation. There's nothing saying that Zelda can't get an overhaul with the Champion abilities, especially since BotW was a very new experience and direction for the franchise.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
See I really don't see Zelda's references to Ocarina of Time in her moveset as the same as what some people want her BotW moveset to be like. I really honestly think it makes sense for her to have the goddess powers as that carries over throughout the entirety of the franchise, while champion abilities are just tied down to ONLY BotW as of now, they aren't (and most likely will not be) this huge thing where every Zelda game utilizes them. Meanwhile the goddesses are a HUGE part of Zelda. I can see Champions/BotW play into a part of her moveset, but not completely take over her moveset overall. Or I could be reading too far into it and Sakurai is just lazy.

I'm fine agreeing to disagreeing, we all see things differently. I'd just be happy if they give any attention to Zelda in this game whatsoever.

Last edited:

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
Just cause why not. There isnt much to talk about

If dangaronpa got a rep would it be Makoto or Junko? (I know it probs wont happen but why not humor the possibility)
I would say it would probably be the Upupupu bear himself cuz Monokuma is the main villain that has appeared in every game.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I hope so. I'm a part of the minority who thought Zelda's phony British accent was nice and complimented her regal status fairly well. I'm a little worried about her grunts and screams though. Patricia Sumersett didn't have a lot of variation in her tone when she voiced Zelda. Then again, I'm supporting Mipha, and she was 10x more monotone than Zelda.

And as for Zelda being the only character talking, I refer you to Lucario. Still don't know why they wouldn't let Mewtwo speak like he does in the Japanese version.

Ignoring the fact that up until Sm4sh, Zelda's moves have only referenced one game: Ocarina of Time.

Seriously, what do you think they're throwing away here? Zelda's moveset isn't some sort of legacy collection of a bunch of moves that act as a timeless reference to past Zelda games. They're all references to a single Zelda game... from 1998. The only new one they added in Sm4sh was the Phantom Slash, which referenced Spirit Tracks (and not even Phantom Hourglass where the Phantom originated.)

If they base Zelda's new moveset off of BotW, it still falls in line with how they've treated her thus far. Pulling the majority of her moveset from a single title.
OoT was literally one of the only Zelda games around the time of Melee with enough material for Sakurai to make a moveset for Zelda. There's not much else he could've used back then, and TP didn't really offer much either.

My argument isn't that Zelda needs to have a huge hodge-podge of moves from various titles. I'm just saying that throwing away the entirety of a timeless moveset, one that's been around since Melee, in exchange for something that only represents a single Zelda game is something I can't get behind.

Having a single new move like Phantom Slash and leaving the rest alone is much more reasonable IMO.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
I would say it would probably be the Upupupu bear himself cuz Monokuma is the main villain that has appeared in every game.
I was thinking maybe Junko with monokuma, like she uses him in some moves
(since she and monokuma are one and the same)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
In terms of Zelda characters, I do like the idea of an oddball character (since most Hyrule citizens are whacked in the head) such as Tingle or Beedle.

The Triforce, Sheikah tribe and Hyrule all accounted for.

Staarih

Smash Master
The Disguise is literally what makes Mimikyu stand out among the crowd though, and the basis of its entire identity. IMO either Sakurai adds Mimikyu with a moveset based around Disguise, or he won't add Mimikyu at all. It's way too integral to the character.
I guess, but having two whole different movesets (like suggested here) is a bit much imo, especially when Mimikyu looks more or less the same anyway (and while moving, its "head" will probably be bobbling all around anyway). To me, the actual disguise it wears is its "thing", but the ability called Disguise is just a mechanic in the Pokémon games and those rarely even show up in Smash.

But sure, if a Disguise moveset gets Mimikyu in Smash, then I'll take it lol.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I understand if people do not like a transformation idea for Mimikyu. In the past transformations have not be executed correctly (and as a consequence of splitting attributes difficult to do so) and rob people of devotion towards a single favorite character.

However, I do think that Disguise has to be implemented in some way that is not a simple counter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I understand if people do not like a transformation idea for Mimikyu. In the past transformations have not be executed correctly (and as a consequence of splitting attributes difficult to do so) and rob people of devotion towards a single favorite character.

However, I do think that Disguise has to be implemented in some way that is not a simple counter.
It makes the most sense to me for it to just be a passsive that grants Mimikyu super armor or invincibility to the first attack that would flinch or damage it per stock, while the rest of its moveset is a mix of Pikachu imitations, ghost/fairy moves, and MImikyu's unique charm.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Mimikyu passive Disguise ability: Super armor given to Mimikyu and hit-stun delivered to assailant on any attack that does over 25% (or some other number for balance reasons) to Mimikyu.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I've officially requested off work for Nintendo's E3 digital event and the tournament, as well as the day after. Just over 5 weeks left...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom