• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
If we're getting the whole 3 characters each trailer thing again, I'd love a reveal with Ridley, Mimikyu, and Isabelle.

We get the Isabelle reveal first, she thinks Mimikyu is cute and then it freaks her the hell out, turns the corner and well, there's something big there too. So she just snaps and starts fighting.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Bet you the budget (and other team resources) is bigger for this game being on the Switch. Nintendo has had a very serious change of tone since the end of the Wii U.
Could very well be, but there are a lot of things to consider in that regard, like if it started as a port how big was the initial budget, and how much was added to it when it made the step up to a completely new game? Also, with a shorter pre-release cycle of ~less than half of Smash 4's (assuming the first we see of it is at E3) is it even worth it to make such high quality character trailers again? With Smash 4 it worked extremely well because we'd only get them every other month and it kept the hype going over such a long period of time, they'd have to double the pace at which they release them for this game if they keep it to a newcomer per trailer, and they might feel that kind of rapid fire approach isn't necessary in order to market the game. But of course that also depends on how many newcomers we get this time.

I still think we'll get character trailers again, and I also want us to get them again, so don't get me wrong, but I'm just bringing up that there's a chance they'll do things differently this time for various reasons.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Bet you the budget (and other team resources) is bigger for this game being on the Switch. Nintendo has had a very serious change of tone since the end of the Wii U.
Actually, I could see the budget and resources being smaller this time. Not only is Sakurai working on one game this time, but most of the stuff he needs has already been created in Smash Wii U. Honestly, most of the work would probably be updating the models of pre-existing characters and programming whatever newcomers they have.

I guess Nintendo could possibly increase the budget so Sakurai and his team could add plenty of additional modes and content, but even then, Nintendo would probably be more interested in using that money for a huge marketing campaign, seeing how this will probably be the Switch's big holiday seller.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I'm still in the boat that, at the very least, this game started development as a DX version of Smash Wii U. It probably ended up a whole new game, but I do think the majority of Wii U's content will make it over, and maybe some from 3DS (Magicant in HD please).

I'm still on the fence about the single-player modes (Smash Tour, Smash Run, Master / Crazy Orders), but I'm certain we'll see assets from Wii U get reused. Considering the small leap of power from Wii U to Switch, I don't think having a majority of Smash 4's cast be added back in is much of an issue. Then again, I'm no game developer, so anything I say is a crapshoot.

I do really hope they negotiated w/ SEGA / Konami / Capcom / Bandai Namco / Square Enix to bring back the third-party characters. I have no doubt in my mind Sonic / Pac-Man / Bayonetta are coming back, but there's a small part of me that's nervous when it comes to Capcom and Square Enix being difficult with their IPs.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Wow, just watched the newest Simpsons; "Lisa Gets the Blues."
Which the Simpsons happen to be in New Orleans, and what caught my attention was during Homer's LONG food thing, he suddenly said IN ORDER; Banana Foster, King Kake, Dixie Cake...
^
I was thinking Donkey Kong straight away.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I'm still in the boat that, at the very least, this game started development as a DX version of Smash Wii U. It probably ended up a whole new game, but I do think the majority of Wii U's content will make it over, and maybe some from 3DS (Magicant in HD please).

I'm still on the fence about the single-player modes (Smash Tour, Smash Run, Master / Crazy Orders), but I'm certain we'll see assets from Wii U get reused. Considering the small leap of power from Wii U to Switch, I don't think having a majority of Smash 4's cast be added back in is much of an issue. Then again, I'm no game developer, so anything I say is a crapshoot.

I do really hope they negotiated w/ SEGA / Konami / Capcom / Bandai Namco / Square Enix to bring back the third-party characters. I have no doubt in my mind Sonic / Pac-Man / Bayonetta are coming back, but there's a small part of me that's nervous when it comes to Capcom and Square Enix being difficult with their IPs.
I'm not too worried about Capcom. They got 2 characters in Smash 4, plus I doubt they'll pass up another opportunity for a crossover game, they're basically the kings of crossovers (Marvel, SNK, Tekken, Tatsunoko, etc.).

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Glad to finally have confirmation that we won't get any info until E3.

It's much better than waiting every day for an announcement for a direct that may or may not have been coming. :laugh:

Also, speaking of Campcom I really hope we see more Monster Hunter representation in Smash. Nintendo basically held the entire series for many years since Tri up to XX on Switch, and it's Capcom's most iconic and successful franchise in Japan (and worldwide since the newest title.)

Despite a character like the one in Marvel vs. Capcom being unlikely, I'd love MH music or even a stage in Smash. So many of the songs in-game I hear think "This sounds just like a remix you'd hear in Smash."

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Also... I'm not sure which page I asked it, but...

"Do you think we will get any more news on Smash before we hit 1000th page?"

... We got the news on page 999. THAT WAS SO CLOSE.

domriver

Smash Lord
Sakurai and the team probably got a major huge budget from Nintendo's Switch success. I definitely think there will be CG trailers again.
For sure

Nintendo Boss: Sakurai work on the next SMASH now. Here is an advance check not even half of the entire sum. *hands check*
Sakurai: *receives check* Hmm well all right. How much you putting into this? Whats my budget on this?
Nintendo Boss: Budget? We are way past that here use this *hands Nintendo's checkbook*
Sakurai: :surprised:
Nintendo Boss: Do us proud Sakurai.

Something like that? :laugh:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
The new tomb raider got announced and I'm still screaming, I want Lara Croft in so bad man although the chances are slim to none lmao. Both incarnations are among my favourite gaming characters ever.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Do you want online conquests to return? What ideas do you have for conquests involving new characters?

My ideas:
Guns vs Swords
Guns
  • Inkling
  • Mega Man
  • Duck Hunt
  • Samus
  • Bayonetta
Swords
  • Takamaru
  • Marth
  • Shulk
  • Meta Knight
  • Link

Game Genres
Platformer
  • Mario
  • Kirby
  • Mega Man
RPG
  • Pikachu
  • Rex
  • Tethu
Fighting
  • Spring Man
  • Ryu
  • Heihachi

By Land, Sky, and Sea
Land
  • Sonic
  • Little Mac
Sky
  • Decidueye
  • Charizard
Sea
  • Greninja
  • Starfy

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
On another subject, is anyone concerned about the lack of new amiibo lately? I'm aware that there's a Detective Pikachu amiibo, but I have not seen it anywhere.

Anyway, my closest retail store stopped selling amiibo sets, which has me wondering if the trend is beginning to die off.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
On another subject, is anyone concerned about the lack of new amiibo lately? I'm aware that there's a Detective Pikachu amiibo, but I have not seen it anywhere.

Anyway, my closest retail store stopped selling amiibo sets, which has me wondering if the trend is beginning to die off.
The interactive video game toy market has seen a decline in sales, it was a hard hitting fad.
It started with Skylanders, then slowly but surely each company tried to get a piece of the pie.
ie; Disney Infinity, Lego, Amiibo, among a few other obscure ones too.

Retailers don't like how much shelf space they take up when it can be used for something else.
Some Amiibo's have been sitting there forever, and they aren't restocking because the ones they have now aren't moving (typically an abundance of animal crossing amiibo)
It seems like retailers can't differentiate which ones will be popular and which ones wont.

Also all the second hand video game stores are stock piled with skylanders.

Aurumai

Smash Rookie
Sakurai and the team probably got a major huge budget from Nintendo's Switch success. I definitely think there will be CG trailers again.
My point exactly!

if it started as a port how big was the initial budget,
Very highly doubt that this started as a port and then suddenly became Smash 5. The porting process doesn't take that much time, and I think it stands to reason that Smash 4 probably would have been one of the first ports, if not a launch title for the Switch, considering the absurd sales it would drive. It's not even just that I think it's less likely that this is Smash 4 -- I don't see any reason whatsoever why Nintendo would wait until exactly this time to port Smash 4 to the Switch. They've ported 7 games from the Wii U to the Switch that I'm aware of, and all of them put together probably couldn't drive Switch sales like Smash 4 could have.

is it even worth it to make such high quality character trailers again?
Absolutely! The Switch has barely just hit the market and it's already outsold the Wii U's lifetime sales of over 5 years. Let that sink in. Any amount of money and effort poured into Smash 5's development will probably turn many times more of a profit than Smash 4, statistically speaking.

Actually, I could see the budget and resources being smaller this time. Not only is Sakurai working on one game this time, but most of the stuff he needs has already been created in Smash Wii U. Honestly, most of the work would probably be updating the models of pre-existing characters and programming whatever newcomers they have.
Can't imagine them reusing many assets from the Smash 4 other than the typical stuff like animations, movesets, music, stages, etc. But those are things that have been reused since Melee. Nintendo poured a bunch of money into the development for Smash 4, and it was for a smaller install base and more limited demographic. All I know is that Nintendo has been doing things right ever since the transfer of leadership away from Mr. Iwata, and I'm absolutely sure that they're not going to make this a barebones sequel.

Glad to finally have confirmation that we won't get any info until E3.
Could you link me to that?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Toys to Life in general seems to have hit a dead horse. Look at Skylanders, Lego, and Infinity.

Only reason amiibo are not dead is because people seem to buy them for the figure itself. Not saying that’s what everyone does, but a fair chunk probably care more about who/what over functionality.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Toys to Life in general seems to have hit a dead horse. Look at Skylanders, Lego, and Infinity.

Only reason amiibo are not dead is because people seem to buy them for the figure itself. Not saying that’s what everyone does, but a fair chunk probably care more about who/what over functionality.
According to Nintendo's recent sales report, last year's amiibo sales actually rose from 2016.

I'm not particularly shocked by the hiatus of amiibo announcements. As a whole, the first half of 2018 has been fairly quiet for Nintendo. Making any more new amiibo than what they've currently announced would seem forced (unless y'all want a bunch of Mario Tennis Aces amiibo). As for the retailers clearing them out, I've heard that's because Nintendo wants to make room for their Labo sets. Can't blame em. Labo needs the push more, and amiibo will probably continue to sell well regardless.

It doesn't really makes sense for Nintendo to discontinue amiibo when it's continuing to make them a profit. Personally, I think quite a few will be unveiled at E3 this year to go along with Smash, Prime 4, FE 16, and (dare I dream?) Pokemon Switch. If that doesn't end up being the case, then we can start discussing when Nintendo will officially announce the death of amiibo.

Last edited:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce

i've got an Isabelle and i don't even play Animal Crossing, I just think she's cute. came in handy at the beginning of Breath of the Wild, though.

it'd be cool to see 'em put out a set for this game, even if it's just the new faces. a Wolf or Krystal amiibo would sure pair well with my Fox...

Last edited:

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
Do you think that will have an Adventure Mode like Subspace Emissary in Smash Bros for Switch?
I just wonder what kind of plot have.

With Furukawa?

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Sakurai will be at E3? nice!
Also, I've read some of you say it's been confirmed we won't have any news until E3? In that case, I'm about 95% convinced we will see K.Rool or Ridley announced. Or even both, best case scenario.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
Also, I've read some of you say it's been confirmed we won't have any news until E3? In that case, I'm about 95% convinced we will see K.Rool or Ridley announced. Or even both, best case scenario.
K. Rool is okay, but Ridley is impossible...

Last edited:

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
I have a question. Why does most everyone talk about Ridley in Smash? What is it about Ridley that people can't stop talking about him? To me, he was just a double form boss you fought in the SSE. I have played SSBC a few times, and I don't even care about Ridley in that game.

osby

Smash Obsessed
When there are a lot of other possible candidates, I don't think it's really a good idea to put so much hope into those two. Although King K.Rool's popularity is acknowledged by development team, 95% is still a bit too optimistic.

I have a question. Why does most everyone talk about Ridley in Smash? What is it about Ridley that people can't stop talking about him? To me, he was just a double form boss you fought in the SSE. I have played SSBC a few times, and I don't even care about Ridley in that game.
He ticks the boxes:
*From Metroid
*Heavy weight
*A consistent and evil antagonist
*Popular among hardcore fans

I'm not really interested in him as a fighter (I don't think he really lends himself as a playable character) but I can get why people request him so much. Even though "Ridley for Smash" is pretty much a meme at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Not that I think Ridley's chances have improved that much over Smash 4 (Given the quotes we got from Sakurai and the distinct possibility they could just return Pyrosphere with Ridley intact, I'd very much say his chances are smaller). Still, I just can't help the feeling that maybe, just maybe... they found a way to make him work in the time since (Or at the very least Nintendo worked and/or approached Sakurai with some convincing ways to make him work as playable).

Regardless of Sakurai's feelings on the matter, he and Nintendo likely know how requested Ridley has been all this time. This may be just me sounding like a delusional Ridley fan that won't give up. (When quite frankly I've never been one of those pining hard for Ridley. But I heavily sympathize with the fans who have wanted him for so long) But I just can't shake the feeling we can't count him out completely just yet. Next year is the 20th anniversary of the Smash Bros. franchise. What better way to celebrate that then with one of if not the most requested 1st Party newcomers still yet to get into the game as playable in the game releasing just months before then?

I don't want to give people too much hope. But I feel there's room for at the very least, cautious optimism.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218

CyberJWolf made this pretty creative video about Rayman, Crash, and Bomberman's chances in being in Smash.

You will be surprised how well-executed it is.
Thank you so much for sharing this ^-^. I'm so glad!

Hope you guys all like, although was really hard to roleplay in 3 different accounts, so there's a lot of typos <=P

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Because people like metroid and want the main villain from the series to be playable...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
He's got everything that he needs to be an appealing prospect for Smash: he's incredibly popular within his franchise, has lots of moveset potential, would represent a franchise that's currently thin on characters, has a very rich history, and he's a dragon, everybody loves dragons. In general he's one of the most noteworthy Nintendo characters not yet in the game, and one of very few who can legitimately claim to be an all-star, had he been included back in Brawl, or maybe even Melee, no one would have bat an eye, yet here we are in 2018 with no Ridley.

It should also be noted that one of the big reasons he's talked about so much is also the controversy surrounding his size and how big a divide it's created in the community over the years, and of course Sakurai only stoked the fires with his post-Smash 4 comments.

Last edited:

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
It seems that rage was introduced to Smash 4 to buff heavies, because heavies are generally low-tier with few exception. Is there a better way we could buff the heavies? The best heavy in the entire series I can think of is either Snake, who is not often discussed among the heavies, and PM Donkey Kong. If have never watched ThundeRzReiGN play DK, you don't realize how scary he is. But for the other heavies, Sm4sh DK, Ganon, Bower for sure, how could we help them become viable in the next game?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
If we're getting the whole 3 characters each trailer thing again, I'd love a reveal with Ridley, Mimikyu, and Isabelle.

We get the Isabelle reveal first, she thinks Mimikyu is cute and then it freaks her the hell out, turns the corner and well, there's something big there too. So she just snaps and starts fighting.
That....that is actually a wicked idea. I'm not crazy about Mimikyu but that gives me a perfect way to introduce it to the series.

Apparently Mario Tennis Aces doesn't have amiibo support...
Oh boy that isn't good. Would love to see new amiibo sets but they'd have to edit Peach and Rosalina's attires so no one can hike up their dress

Either one will make the Smash world go nuts.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Not that I think Ridley's chances have improved that much over Smash 4 (Given the quotes we got from Sakurai and the distinct possibility they could just return Pyrosphere with Ridley intact, I'd very much say his chances are smaller). Still, I just can't help the feeling that maybe, just maybe... they found a way to make him work in the time since (Or at the very least Nintendo worked and/or approached Sakurai with some convincing ways to make him work as playable).

Regardless of Sakurai's feelings on the matter, he and Nintendo likely know how requested Ridley has been all this time. This may be just me sounding like a delusional Ridley fan that won't give up. (When quite frankly I've never been one of those pining hard for Ridley. But I heavily sympathize with the fans who have wanted him for so long) But I just can't shake the feeling we can't count him out completely just yet. Next year is the 20th anniversary of the Smash Bros. franchise. What better way to celebrate that then with one of if not the most requested 1st Party newcomers still yet to get into the game as playable in the game releasing just months before then?

I don't want to give people too much hope. But I feel there's room for at the very least, cautious optimism.
I get what you say, but still, if Nintendo is going to "convince" Sakurai for a character, it's more likely it being a recent character who popular among casual fans like, say, Isabelle. Ridley is popular, sure, but he's not a character that can be considered as a treat for players in general.

If we ever see him as playable,I think he'll be introduced as a villain/Metroid newcomer/"look, we can make this huge thing controllable", not "your wishes finally came true" (like Megaman).

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Oh snap, did he confirm he'll be at E3 or?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom