• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
I think that they need to go back on the current design. I really like the formulaic approach of Melee, with adjusted knockback settings making it harder as you go on. For a refresher, here's how Melee worked:

Stage 1:
1 vs. 1 Battle

Stage 2:
2 vs. 2 Battle

Stage 3:
Target Test

Stage 4:
1 vs.1 Battle

Stage 5:
3 vs. 1 Giant Battle

Stage 6:
Snag the Trophies

Stage 7:
1 vs. 1 (remember, the knockback settings is making each battle more difficult)

Stage 8:
1 vs. 10 Multibattle

Stage 9:
Race to the Finish

Stage 10:
1 vs. 1 Metal Battle

Stage 11:
Master Hand

I think this could work really well in Smash Switch, with a few extra rounds added, maybe one for 6 or 8-player Smash as well as a 4-Player free for all.

Also, make the Metal Battle a battle with your in-game rival.
I really like what you're going for here, though I'd probably suggest having some rounds randomly choose a different type of battle each playthrough like in Brawl to further increase variety and replayability.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
congrats on 1000 pages guys. lets hope e3 comes quickly rather than later. i really wonder what nintendo has in store for us.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
June 12th is the day I graduate...catch me in my cap and gown screaming over smash in the middle of my graduation ceremony

Danpal65

Smash Lord
i really wonder what the art style for the new smash game will be.
I'm thinking it will build off of what Sm4sh had. So the more colourful and vibrant models. But, I do expect there to a large amount of texture updates, bring characters like Mario and Donkey Kong up to date with their recent counterparts (Mario's overalls and Donkey Kong having more visible fur).

It could, potentially, be given a slightly grittier tone, not to the extent of Brawl, but darken the colour scheme of 4 to match the mood set by the reveal trailer.

In all honesty though there is absolutely no way to be sure what this Smash game is going to look like, which is part of the reason people are frustrated by the wait period I think, we have very little to go on on what the game will even look like :upsidedown:

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
How many newcomers do you think they will present at E3? What if it's similar to the first Brawl trailer and they present us as 5 newcomers? Knowing that soon it will go on sale, it would not look crazy.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
How many newcomers do you think they will present at E3? What if it's similar to the first Brawl trailer and they present us as 5 newcomers? Knowing that soon it will go on sale, it would not look crazy.
I could see this. The Brawl trailer also had a sizable amount of veterans revealed too I believe? If not I can see a newcomer/veteran reveal-palooza.

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
I could see this. The Brawl trailer also had a sizable amount of veterans revealed too I believe? If not I can see a newcomer/veteran reveal-palooza.
Veteran:
Mario
Kirby
Pikachu
Link
Samus

Newcomer:
Meta Knight
Pit
Zero Suit Samus
Wario
Solid Snake

You should also know that in E3 they have always taught a newcomer third-party, in Brawl Snake, in Wii U / 3DS Megaman and then Pac-man, and DLC Ryu.

Surely in the next E3 the same thing happens, I would vote for Rayman.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Veteran:
Mario
Kirby
Pikachu
Link

Newcomer:
Meta Knight
Pit
Zero Suit Samus
Wario
Solid Snake

You should also know that in E3 they have always taught a newcomer third-party, in Brawl Snake, in Wii U / 3DS Megaman and then Pac-man, and DLC Ryu.

Surely in the next E3 the same thing happens, I would vote for Rayman.
You're forgetting they revealed Samus as well.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm banking on them revealing 3 new characters, including the 3rd party.

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
I think they could present to in E3:

Spring man
Rayman
And... a character that we do not expect much, in Brawl I think the most unexpected character was Wario representing the Wario Ware, in Wii U / 3DS the Wii Fit Trainer, so... Nintendo Labo maybe?

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I think they could present to in E3:

Spring man
Rayman
And... a character that we do not expect much, in Brawl I think the most unexpected character was Wario representing the Wario Ware, in Wii U / 3DS the Wii Fit Trainer, so... Nintendo Labo maybe?
Wario unexpected?

No way.

The unexpected reveal for Brawl's E3 was Snake.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If I had to guess

A Ballot Choice (King K. Rool, Isaac, Ridley, Krystal, non-gen 7 Pokemon)
A newer character (BotW chamption, Spring Man, Rex/Pyra, Deidueye/Mimikyu/Incenaroar)
3rd Party (Rayman, 2nd Sonic character, Shantae)

Zippo

Smash Journeyman

Curious, has anyone photoshopped/edited Mario and/or Link's actual faces into these frames? I'd be curious to see them colored in.

Or is that too difficult to do?

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
They ought to show the roster for the invitational at least. Which I'm assuming will have veterans (maybe all the shadowed ones from the first trailer) and some newcomers. A Brawl-style trailer would work really well, with both newcomers and veterans shown one after another.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
If Ridley is going to be in this game he would have to be revealed at E3, no way would he left to be revealed in a Direct. He would be an awesome source of hype and publicity for the game.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
If none of the Wii U roster got cut, then I could see that roster in its entirety being shown during the invitational, with only Inklings and two or three other newcomers in addition.

If there are cuts, I only expect a handful of 'safe' veterans along with Inklings and two or three other newcomers.

Personally, I really want to see Fox. I'm hoping that they're going to be using a Zero-based design, or at least get him a new voice. Zero is tolerable, Smash 3DS/Wii U was atrocious.

D

Deleted member

So, is the Smash Invitational just going to be like a trailer or something like it was in the Wii U? What is it going to be like?
Either way, hyped for it.

Aurumai

Smash Rookie
A Brawl-style trailer would work really well, with both newcomers and veterans shown one after another.
I disagree. Think back to the way the Smash 4 character reveals worked -- Every so often they'd release a new character intro and every single time they did, people got even more excited for the game. Unless you're talking about the actual final trailer, I think that hyping up the game one character at a time would be the best, not only for their publicity, but for the viewers as well. I loved how they handled it with Smash 4.

Personally, I really want to see Fox. I'm hoping that they're going to be using a Zero-based design, or at least get him a new voice. Zero is tolerable, Smash 3DS/Wii U was atrocious.
I'd say it's pretty safe to assume they'll use the most recent versions of most of the characters, e.g. Odyssey Mario, Breath of the Wild Link/Zelda, etc. This has some pretty cool implications for other franchises as well. I'd bet you that the style of the Pokemon characters will give us some insight to the art style of the first Pokemon series installment on the Switch.

Staarih

Smash Master
I disagree. Think back to the way the Smash 4 character reveals worked -- Every so often they'd release a new character intro and every single time they did, people got even more excited for the game. Unless you're talking about the actual final trailer, I think that hyping up the game one character at a time would be the best, not only for their publicity, but for the viewers as well. I loved how they handled it with Smash 4.
Yeah, I liked the character specific trailers as well, but I'm afraid there won't be much time for those this time. We knew about Smash 4 years before it came out so there was time to have trailers every now and then - this time we know the game is coming this year so there's essentially, like, six months max left. I feel we need a big trailer at E3 and after that maybe a few tidbits until the game comes out.

But what do I know hehe!

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
The E3 trailer will be huge. I'm thinking it'll just dump so much information on us we won't be able to keep up.

I'm really interested to see the art style. I remember first seeing the 3DS art style and being kinda disappointed thinking that the Wii U would look the same but it was so nice. I don't know what to expect this time around. Even brighter again? Back to gritty? Something new and stylized entirely?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Ridley is going to be in this game he would have to be revealed at E3, no way would he left to be revealed in a Direct. He would be an awesome source of hype and publicity for the game.
Any "huge" character like Ridley or K. Rool will probably be revealed at E3. If not, start lowering your expectations and prepare yourself for the likely possibility of your character not getting in Smash. Doubt they would save a hype-inducing character like that for a random Direct in October, one month before the game's reveal.

On a similar note, I expect most of the newcomers from Nintendo's AAA titles to also be revealed at E3. If the Mario, Pokemon, or Zelda character you've been rooting for doesn't show up, I'd start getting a little worried. I wouldn't imagine Nintendo really caring about when the next FE and Xenoblade character would get revealed, if they get revealed at all.

If none of the Wii U roster got cut, then I could see that roster in its entirety being shown during the invitational, with only Inklings and two or three other newcomers in addition.

If there are cuts, I only expect a handful of 'safe' veterans along with Inklings and two or three other newcomers.

Regardless of whether or not we get cuts, I think we can expect a Smash Invitational roster similar to what we got last time. The bigger names make up the largest chunk of the roster (Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu) while a few newcomers (maybe three to four) are sprinkled here and there.

Aurumai

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I liked the character specific trailers as well, but I'm afraid there won't be much time for those this time. We knew about Smash 4 years before it came out so there was time to have trailers every now and then - this time we know the game is coming this year so there's essentially, like, six months max left. I feel we need a big trailer at E3 and after that maybe a few tidbits until the game comes out.

But what do I know hehe!
They can still release the character trailers in a rapid fire style though! Let's also remember that they could start releasing info tomorrow if they wanted to -- We have no idea what kind of time window there will be for this stuff. Either way, I feel that incremental drips of information is a lot better for branding and community excitement, and Nintendo's advertising/branding has been 100% on point since the Switch was announced, so I really feel that they'll go that route again.

Who knows though, they might be looking to switch it up (no pun intended) with the announcements every time they release a new Smash.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Actually, the fact that there doesn't seem to be specific character trailers with splash cards can be interpreted as somewhat comforting to anyone who is worried the game is a port.

The fact that they're doing things differently and not in line with the last game hints that it's not a port. If it was the same game but a deluxe edition, Inklings should have got a splash card.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So, is the Smash Invitational just going to be like a trailer or something like it was in the Wii U? What is it going to be like?
Either way, hyped for it.
The smash invitational will be a tournament using the new game, it's all going to be invited players from the competitive smash scene (which I have no information or opinnions on lol).

Side note...have a lot of people here not seen past E3s or been part of smash speculation??? Since the invitational was announced people were freaking out about how it's gunna go down, like, they did the same thing for Smash 4. Presentation in the morning then tournament in the evening.

I feel like anytime I mentioned that they might not reveal anything until E3 people would be like but the tournament?! And I'm just like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
They can still release the character trailers in a rapid fire style though! Let's also remember that they could start releasing info tomorrow if they wanted to -- We have no idea what kind of time window there will be for this stuff. Either way, I feel that incremental drips of information is a lot better for branding and community excitement, and Nintendo's advertising/branding has been 100% on point since the Switch was announced, so I really feel that they'll go that route again.

Who knows though, they might be looking to switch it up (no pun intended) with the announcements every time they release a new Smash.
I don't think we'll get too many lenghty character trailers. One of the things Sakurai noted about them in the last times was they were pretty time consuming. Unless they prepared a bunch in advence, I think we'll get the newcomers in a manner similar to DLC characters, maybe a bit simpler or fancier.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Not surprised at the lack of info until E3. Were in for a BIG one, though.

I doubt they would make a big deal about Smash Bros at E3 with it being the highlight of the whole show, then when the presentation starts shove Masahiro Sakurai onto the screen, have him say "Hey guys, Sakurai here. Just letting you know that Yoshi will infact be playable. That is all. Please stay tuned for a dedicated Smash presentation in September. Have a nice E3!" And then cut to Pokemon 8. They know theyve gotta rock the show floor with those 20-30 minutes of Smash Bros.

Speaking of which, E3 will be the first time in a long while weve seen Sakurai on video! Hopefuly he will continue his hamon anti aging process. Though, if the pictures have anything to say, he kinda let himself go...

:laugh:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Not surprised at the lack of info until E3. Were in for a BIG one, though.

I doubt they would make a big deal about Smash Bros at E3 with it being the highlight of the whole show, then when the presentation starts shove Masahiro Sakurai onto the screen, have him say "Hey guys, Sakurai here. Just letting you know that Yoshi will infact be playable. That is all. Please stay tuned for a dedicated Smash presentation in September. Have a nice E3!" And then cut to Pokemon 8. They know theyve gotta rock the show floor with those 20-30 minutes of Smash Bros.

Speaking of which, E3 will be the first time in a long while weve seen Sakurai on video! Hopefuly he will continue his hamon anti aging process. Though, if the pictures have anything to say, he kinda let himself go...

:laugh:
I am so excited to Sakurai again. His passion for the series always comes across in the videos and he's just such a fun guy. Remembering where he taunted as soon as the match started when he played as Pac Man XD.

Aurumai

Smash Rookie
I don't think we'll get too many lenghty character trailers. One of the things Sakurai noted about them in the last times was they were pretty time consuming. Unless they prepared a bunch in advence, I think we'll get the newcomers in a manner similar to DLC characters, maybe a bit simpler or fancier.
That doesn't necessarily need to be an issue. There were actually quite a few character intros that had little or even no CGI whatsoever. These include Sonic, Pacman (kinda), Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta. The ones with full CGI shorts definitely stood out, but all of the character reveals hyped up the game, CGI or not.

osby

Smash Obsessed
That doesn't necessarily need to be an issue. There were actually quite a few character intros that had little or even no CGI whatsoever. These include Sonic, Pacman (kinda), Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta. The ones with full CGI shorts definitely stood out, but all of the character reveals hyped up the game, CGI or not.
True enough (though most of the ones you listed are DLC characters). Yeah, we can still get pretty trailers, Inklings have them in a sense, too, after all.

I wonder if we'll get at least one animated trailer like Palutena, Little Mac, Robin and Lucina got.

Last edited:

Aurumai

Smash Rookie
True enough (though most of the ones you listed are DLC characters). Yeah, we can still get pretty trailers, Inklings have them in a sense, too, after all.

I wonder if we'll get at least one animated trailer like Palutena, Little Mac, Robin and Lucina got.
Only half of them are DLC! But either way, I think the fact that Nintendo announced characters in the vanilla version of Smash 4 in this format sets the precedent for the next installment. Let's also remember that they can reveal multiple characters in a single CGI short like they did with Charizard/Greninja, Lucina/Robin, Palutena/Dark Pit and to a very TINY extent, Bowser Jr. and the other Koopalings. I think they were pretty smart to do it that way.

And I really highly doubt that there will only be one CGI trailer (like the opener before the title menu) for Smash 5, especially considering that they've already broken the CGI seal for a simple teaser. No way the 6darkened faces of Link and Mario is the only CGI we'll get!!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Whether we'll get fully-fledged cinematic trailers for newcomers like we did last time will also depend on whether or not the CGI team is better served doing something else. I remember Sakurai saying that the character trailers were a replacement for not having any story mode cutscenes, so if there's a game mode where cutscenes will be used, like in SSE, then the cinematic character trailers will probably be sacrificed to make it happen, and the character trailers will be more like the Sonic/DLC ones.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So here's a tiny little addition to the leaked battlefield thing. GU KingofHeart recently posted this.

Apparently, this is supposed to be the center of the stage, and it matches up with the other picture that showed us the stage's edge.

I don't know, I feel like this could end up being legit. Of course, I'm not gonna get ahead of myself here and say it's "100% real", but I don't think we should brush this off. Something small to keep at the back of our heads.

These images were brought up by some users at Resetera. For anyone who's interested, here's the link.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-smash-bros-e3-info-screenshot-leaked.38549/page-8

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Whether we'll get fully-fledged cinematic trailers for newcomers like we did last time will also depend on whether or not the CGI team is better served doing something else. I remember Sakurai saying that the character trailers were a replacement for not having any story mode cutscenes, so if there's a game mode where cutscenes will be used, like in SSE, then the cinematic character trailers will probably be sacrificed to make it happen, and the character trailers will be more like the Sonic/DLC ones.
If that is what it takes to get a new Sub Space then light a fire and sacrifice away!

It would be amazing if we got a whole bunch of animated cutscenes like the Palutena trailer for a new story mode in Smash. It would look so cool!

So here's a tiny little addition to the leaked battlefield thing. GU KingofHeart recently posted this.

Apparently, this is supposed to be the center of the stage, and it matches up with the other picture. I don't know, I feel like this could end up being legit. Of course, I'm not gonna get ahead of myself here and say it's "100% real", but I don't think we should brush this off. Something small to keep at the back of our heads.

These images were brought up by some users at Resetera. For anyone who's interested, here's the link.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-smash-bros-e3-info-screenshot-leaked.38549/page-8
https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-smash-bros-e3-info-screenshot-leaked.38549/page-8[/QUOTE]

Looks like it would match up with what MoH posted. I'm digging how this could look

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
One trailer, two newcomers, then another trailer like Wii Fit Waifu got.

From vets, I expect a lot of familiar faces.

But which vets? My guesses:

-Mario
-Link
-Fox
-Kirby
-Pikachu
-Samus
-Donkey Kong
-Marth
-Peach
-Mewtwo
-Pit
-Olimar
-Diddy Kong
-Little Mac
-Shulk
-Villager

Aurumai

Smash Rookie
Bet you the budget (and other team resources) is bigger for this game being on the Switch. Nintendo has had a very serious change of tone since the end of the Wii U.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Bet you the budget (and other team resources) is bigger for this game being on the Switch. Nintendo has had a very serious change of tone since the end of the Wii U.
Sakurai and the team probably got a major huge budget from Nintendo's Switch success. I definitely think there will be CG trailers again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom