• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
So Nintendo's investor meeting did not yield too much new information (which was to be expected), but a couple of interesting things to note.

Firstly, a big thank you to Kimashima for his dedication and leadership in leading the Switch to the success it has had. Good luck to
Shuntaro Furukawa (been with Nintendo since 1994 and a Director for the Pokémon Company) in taking his place.

In regards to Smash there are two things to note. One is that this game is definitely coming this year and is a new game. They restated 2018 as the release year so last month was not some crazy fever dream. The second thing is that the title, Super Smash Bros., was once again listed as temporary, so no official title reveal here.

Somewhat relevant to Smash, Pokémon is still slated for a 2018 or later release.

Edit: SuperMii3D SuperMii3D beat me to the punch about Smash

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
"Latest entry" would describe it if it was a port or new game. The problem is that it's not nearly as clear as people think it is. While it seems like it's there way of saying it's a new game, it might just be simply putting "yeah, it's the latest game being released among the series".

We'll probably see something a bit more clear later on. I was always leaning towards new game, mind you.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
"Latest entry" would describe it if it was a port or new game. The problem is that it's not nearly as clear as people think it is. While it seems like it's there way of saying it's a new game, it might just be simply putting "yeah, it's the latest game being released among the series".

We'll probably see something a bit more clear later on. I was always leaning towards new game, mind you.
What really gives it up is the (temp.) portion. Why not just mention it's a port of it was?

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
lolllll "latest entry" says approximately ****-all. ain't no info there outside of 'dun worry guys game totes exists!'

we're all still as in the ****ing dark as the inklings in the ****ing trailer XD

money still on port-plus by-the-by cause hooboy radio silence ain't good for new stuff

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
So Nintendo's investor meeting did not yield too much new information (which was to be expected), but a couple of interesting things to note.
The nintendo's investor meeting is tomorrow. Today they just released the sales and the position changes.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What really gives it up is the (temp.) portion. Why not just mention it's a port of it was?
...Now this is a far better point. Though the whole title thing alone isn't really much, but yeah, that clinches it for me. Not enough that it will definitely affect SB itself for the purpose of forum design, but eh.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I have a question, what's the record for amount of music in a single video game? Because Smash Wii U already has nearly 500 songs on it. Is 700+ soundtrack feasible? Especially on Switch cartridges. We've already seen many other companies require a download, will smash have to do this?

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
It should be noted that the total shipment of Xenoblade 2 is 1.31 million copies. It is now the highest selling 'Xeno' title, besting the previous record holder, Xenogears, which sold 1.19 million as of March 2003.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Aside from the comment on Smash, Nintendo also revealed that they managed to sell over 17.7 million Switch consoles, and they're forecasting another 20 million over the course of the next year.

Selling close to 40 million Switch consoles in only two years seems like a difficult feat, but if anything can do it, a Smash Bros./Pokemon double threat being released this holiday season would definitely do the trick.

In other news, BotW has officially dethroned Twilight Princess as the highest-selling Zelda game of all time and has sold over 10 million copies worldwide (including both Switch and Wii U sales). On top of that, over 10 million people have purchased Odyssey. If it can sell about 3 million more, it'll surpass Galaxy.

I have high expectations that both of these games will be fairly prominent in Smash Switch.

(Edit: How could I forget to mention this!? Star Allies has sold over 1.25 million copies in just about a month. That's pretty crazy, especially when you note that the game was released at such an awkward time with no holiday season to boost the numbers.)
It should be noted that the total shipment of Xenoblade 2 is 1.31 million copies. It is now the highest selling 'Xeno' title, besting the previous record holder, Xenogears, which sold 1.19 million as of March 2003.
Just another reason why I think we'll be seeing a Xenoblade 2 rep in Smash. Might not be base game, but I'm fairly confident it's gonna happen.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Just another reason why I think we'll be seeing a Xenoblade 2 rep in Smash. Might not be base game, but I'm fairly confident it's gonna happen.
Eh... You're basically implying that Sakurai did this.

Edit: I apparently can't read. I just woke up and am half-awake.

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Once again, I'm honestly somewhat enjoying this period of absolute silence, it's helping build up anticipation and hype for e3 if we don't hear anything by then. Either way, I actually hope a lot of things in this game are kept under wraps and a lot of it will be surprises for us that we get to see once we get the game for ourselves. For example, they might bring back a Melee style Adventure mode or Break the Targets and not inform us about those modes, with them waiting for us on the menus day 1.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm still extremely salty about Sonic's victory theme still being the one from THAT horrendous and nearly unplayable mess that we consider to be a video game.
Despite how awful Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 was, its music album was still good, for the most part. Compare that to Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, where it's not only arguably worse than Sonic 2006, but its music album is also highly forgettable.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
Investor's info was cool, Odyssey is already knocking on 64's door.

They also hit their already up revised FY projection, even despite the complaining about the meh quarter 4 lineup.

Pokken sold 1.16 million overseas, but we get no Japan data. Nintendo isn't the publisher there, but it probably has sold 1.46 million globally.

The 20 million forecast is neat, only Nintendo systems to hit that were the DS and Wii (GB and GBA were close). Given its current pace, that number looks very realizable.

Also, crazy how it's been like a month and a half since Smash was announced, and we know virtually nothing.

Edit: Also, Switch has 12 retail million sellers. Add M+R, FEW, and Bomberman (all have been confirmed IIRC) to that list. That leaves one more game, I would say Skyrim is probably the 12th game.

Double Edit: FEW is multiplatform, so it likely is not one of the 12.

Triple edit: It was also by FY so Bomberman is out too. This is why I should try fully waking up before analyzing sales data.

Last edited:

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
I'm ready for some basic info. Them not having a date yet is fine but i would like to know what we will be purchasing soon lol. I'm ready happy it is a new game still hoping for mechanical changes.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Edit: Also, Switch has 12 retail million sellers. Add M+R, FEW, and Bomberman (all have been confirmed IIRC) to that list. That leaves one more game, I would say Skyrim is probably the 12th game.
To make it easier, every single first-party game published by Nintendo is a million seller.
  • Super Mario Odyssey - 10.41 million
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 9.22 million
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - 8.48 million
  • Splatoon 2 - 6.02 million
  • 1-2-Switch - 2.29 million
  • ARMS - 1.85 million
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 1.31 million
  • Kirby Star Allies - 1.26 million
  • Pokken Tournament Deluxe - 1.16 million
  • Fire Emblem Warriors - < 1 million
The only Switch game that hasn't technically sold over a million is FEW, but combining the sales of the 3DS version apparently shoves it over the edge.

These sales get me excited for the future Switch games, especially Prime 4. I would love to see that game push past the two million mark and become one of Nintendo's frequent-flyer franchises again.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
How does 1,2 Switch outsell ARMs?
By being a launch title with comparably little competition. It was basically that, Breath of the Wild, Bomberman, and Just Dance.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
After going through the trouble of getting the Diskun trophy in Melee, I think it's for the best that bonuses do not return.
Nobody said you needed to tie anything to the Bonuses other than "for fun". Since that's what made them great in the first two games. No Damage can go away and stay away, anyway.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
About the Kirby tweets. I feel like an idiot, but Kirby's birthday is tomorrow April 27th (which just happens to be mine!)

I'm pretty sure the "thing" they're building will just be a big like statue or some kind of HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIRBY! Makes a lot more sense than a new Kirby game or something. Mayyyyyyybe new dream friends dlc too.

EDIT:
Wait this was posted 5 hours ago

Translation through google is crappy but:

I feel excited when I can find Secret! It is a reporter Waddi. "Star Allize special channel" delivered today in "Game News" of Nintendo Switch 4th! This time it is being talked about secret hidden in "World Map"! It is a necessity check ~!

Doesn't seem to mention what about Dyna Blade though ???

EDIT 2: Apparently Dyna is also a background easter egg. False Alarm.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
To make it easier, every single first-party game published by Nintendo is a million seller.
  • ARMS - 1.85 million
The only Switch game that hasn't technically sold over a million is FEW, but combining the sales of the 3DS version apparently shoves it over the edge.

These sales get me excited for the future Switch games, especially Prime 4. I would love to see that game push past the two million mark and become one of Nintendo's frequent-flyer franchises again.
Thanks, I can't believe I mentioned Pokken in my post and then forgot about it later lol.

I too am optimistic about Prime 4. So many Switch games are setting records. BoTW, Odyssey, and XC2 have or will become the best selling games in their franchises. Same for Splatoon 2 and Pokken DX, but they only have one game to compare to, and both were on the Wii U.

So yeah, 2 million seems definitely possible for Prime 4.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Something interesting I noticed in the Financial report is that Bayonetta 3 is listed under Primary Nintendo Products and not Third Party Software. Really shows how much Nintendo thinks of Bayonetta as a Nintendo character at this point...

To tie this into speculation because I'm dying here, this adds to the E3 floor plan leak, Nintendo thinks of Bayonetta as an important nintendo franchise and thus her props being in the floor plan make more sense than any other 3rd party. (That and shes easier to represent than Sonic or Pac Man).

Roberk

Smash Champion
FEW's sales suffering from releasing a week before Odyssey feels like Radiant Dawn releasing the same week as Super Mario Galaxy. Hopefully they learn their lesson for FE16 with Smash and Pokemon on the horizon.

Edgelord_197

Smash Cadet
FEW's sales suffering from releasing a week before Odyssey feels like Radiant Dawn releasing the same week as Super Mario Galaxy. Hopefully they learn their lesson for FE16 with Smash and Pokemon on the horizon.
It could also be because the roster was pretty bad

Roberk

Smash Champion
It could also be because the roster was pretty bad
Yeah, but it was representing the latest and highest selling FE games technically. If it was planned a few years ago it seems like the best choice from a corporate perspective. I prefer everything other than FatesAwakening, but I can understand why they went that route. FE was still a bit shaky when this game was planned so they had to play it safe. Plus, the developers said that they are saving Ike and Roy for a sequel, so we'll see.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
  • ARMS - 1.85 million

I really do think splatoon will get another rep with the amount of sales it has had on Wii U and Switch.
This also fairs well for ARMS being in the game, even more than before

Edgelord_197

Smash Cadet
Yeah, but it was representing the latest and highest selling FE games technically. If it was planned a few years ago it seems like the best choice from a corporate perspective. I prefer everything other than FatesAwakening, but I can understand why they went that route. FE was still a bit shaky when this game was planned so they had to play it safe. Plus, the developers said that they are saving Ike and Roy for a sequel, so we'll see.
I know, but Fates didn’t need 9 characters.

domriver

Smash Lord
Something interesting I noticed in the Financial report is that Bayonetta 3 is listed under Primary Nintendo Products and not Third Party Software. Really shows how much Nintendo thinks of Bayonetta as a Nintendo character at this point...

To tie this into speculation because I'm dying here, this adds to the E3 floor plan leak, Nintendo thinks of Bayonetta as an important nintendo franchise and thus her props being in the floor plan make more sense than any other 3rd party. (That and shes easier to represent than Sonic or Pac Man).

Interesting, though I thought Sonic Franchise is easier than Bayonetta but why not both? Nintendo stepped in the correct time to save Bayonetta i guess. Microsoft and Sonys loss but they can probably care less. lol Being that Bayonetta is really well received I certainly do see Bayonetta eventually becoming a staple for Nintendo. Nintendo certainly could use more risque women. Heres to hopes that Bayonetta 3 performs very well and if Bayonetta 1 and 2 are great i see it happening again for 3. :050:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I know, but Fates didn’t need 9 characters.
Shadow Dragon got robbed. That was my biggest complaint about the roster. That and Celica being a sword-based clone. Lots of other great things about the game, at least.

I'd argue Sonic is fairly easy to represent using his shoes.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I know I'm a part of the vocal minority, but I'm still not sure how I feel about Bayo being a Nintendo character. I'm glad that the company is trying to branch out to the more mature audiences, but Bayo seems a little extreme. I mean, the lady is essentially a smexy stripper who fights bloody demonic creatures with realistic handguns. Not exactly what first comes to mind when I think of "The World of Nintendo".

Believe it or not, NA and EU sales are what saved FEW.

Surprisingly, Japan is the region where FEW struggled the most, despite the game releasing in September rather than October. Sales overseas were pretty solid, even with the unfortunate timing of Odyssey.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom