• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
  • Splatoon
  • Killer Instinct(3rd party)
  • Rabbids(as they're their own series now, 3rd party)
  • ARMS
  • The Mysterious Muramasa Castle(Retro Rep)
  • Rhythm Heaven
While some could represent their own series, like Tingle, I don't feel he has that high of a chance. Among the Microsoft options, the two I'd bank on the most are Killer Instinct and Minecraft. Halo is their flagship franchise, so it not being there makes sense. That leaves two other major franchises to consider. As for Rabbids, I think their chances are looking higher than Rayman at this time. The Mario crossover is actually huge in itself, as Nintendo allowing their characters to be Rabbidfied is a pretty big deal in itself.
Killer Instinct. Are you sure you wouldn't go with Banjo or Perfect Dark? :p

ErenJager

Smash Champion
A really interesting post showed up during Jibanyan's RTC rating:

In all my time as a YW fan, I did not know about the manga starting before the video game TBH. But, I am not sure if Sakurai would look into as far of a detail as that, he would probably know Jibanyan more as a video game character than not, given the franchise's huge popularity spike when YW2 came out. The video game itself is the primary root of all the multimedia expansion in Yo-kai Watch. That has been and always has been Level-5's core strategy for marketing their games with their recent franchices like Lady Layton, Inazuma Eleven Ares, and the recent Snack World.

Honestly, I don't think it disqualifies any potential Level-5 candidate like the protagonist of Snack World or possibly the protagonist of the upcoming Inazuma game. The manga was more of a pre-promotion for the video game than anything else. Do recent Level-5 franchises qualify for Smash if the core video game matters, but the anime/manga coming first as a side-thing?
Well you know who else had a manga before a video game?

My boy Kakarotto.

Let's go deeper... What if the franchise didn't start out as a video game... but that franchise has characters that did originate in the video game media of the franchise?

Would an alternate version of Goku from Dragon Ball Online or Heroes or Xenoverse count as a video game character?

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Saw a fun game on Reddit and thought I'd share.

Pick one character that debuted on each Nintendo console to be in the next Smash game:

NES: Excitebike

SNES: Dixie Kong

Gameboy: Giovanni

N64: Paper Mario

Gamecube: Louie

Wii: Captain Toad

3DS: Mimikyu

Wii U: Yarn Yoshi

Switch: Springman
NES: Excitebiker

SNES: King K. Rool

N64: Paper Mario

GBA: Isaac

Gamecube: Chibi-Robo

DS: Sylux

Wii: Ghirahim

3DS: Decidueye

Wii U: Elma

Switch: Spring Man/Rex and Pyra (can't choose between the two)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Killer Instinct. Are you sure you wouldn't go with Banjo or Perfect Dark? :p
Yep, I'm going with the more iconic/important to gaming history franchise. Killer Instinct defined combos, created the announcer chatter, and also created the Combo Breaker, stuff that continues to this day in many many games. I feel that edges it out for Rare options by far. The fact it's still active as a franchise is entirely coincidental.

Of course, you said "think" would get in, so I had to go with something that has more overall merits. Only other choice was Minecraft, and the moveset and character design could have potential issues in comparison. Though it might edge KI out as well. But they're both, imo, the strongest Microsoft contenders with the least hurdles as is.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I'm not a fan of posting negativity about people's wants for Smash, but I think the game is saturated with third parties. The Smash 4 roster is 10% third party.
Personally, I don't want any more third parties in the game. It was supposed to be Nintendo's All Stars, and there's still a LOT of Nintendo series to explore in Smash, plus ones that haven't been fully explored (Zelda, DK, Metroid, Fire Emblem [no archer/axes/lances/etc.], Pokemon [no grass type], etc, etc.)

Last edited:
NES: Mike Jones

SNES: Sigurd

N64: Ricky Winterborn

GCN: Lloyd Irving

Wii: Isa Jo

Wii U: Wonder Red

Switch: Rex

3DS: Dillon

DS: Professor Layton

GBA: Andy

Game Boy: Muddy Mole

Game Boy Color: Shantae

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If there were exactly six new universes introduced in Super Smash Bros 2018, what do you think they would be? You must pick one retro and two third parties (not because that's going to happen, but because I said so.)

And obviously Splatoon has to be one of the six.

IMO:
  • Splatoon
  • Excitebike
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • The Mysterious Murasame Castle (Retro Rep)
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania
The reason I don't count Excitebike as the official stand alone retro rep is because his game has received several sequels, kind of like Punch-Out!!.

The criteria for this little game is that you must pick a retro character with only one installment (I know Kid Icarus had two before Brawl, but whatever. I'm making the rules here.)
  • Splatoon
  • Ace Attorney
  • Mysterious Murasame Castle
  • Persona
  • Golden Sun
  • ARMS
I realize Golden Sun is already represented through Issac's assist trophy, but for the sake of this list, I counted new universe as "has not had a playable character before now".

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't think a universe counts as being represented if it doesn't have an icon.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I'm not a fan of posting negativity about people's wants for Smash, but I think the game is saturated with third parties. The Smash 4 roster is 10% third party.
Personally, I don't want any more third parties in the game. It was supposed to be Nintendo's All Stars, and there's still a LOT of Nintendo series to explore in Smash, plus ones that haven't been fully explored (Zelda, DK, Metroid, Fire Emblem [no archer/axes/lances/etc.], Pokemon [no grass type], etc, etc.)
I always feel this way. It might be because the one third party I want isn't very likely (Travis Touchdown) but I have almost no interest in any more third party characters. All my most wanted are first party and I'd rather that be Sakurai's focus.

I'm always so surprised most people's top 5's if not their number one is a third party character. Or even worse, a second character from a third party series (seriously not trying to be a jerk, everyone's allowed to support who they want).

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
If I could go back in time to May, 2013, and post one Smash picture to the internet, it'd be this one:
upload_2018-4-16_22-20-52.png

Can you imagine?

What would people say?

• Splatoon
  • Ace Attorney
  • Mysterious Murasame Castle
  • Persona
  • Golden Sun
  • ARMS
I realize Golden Sun is already represented through Issac's assist trophy, but for the sake of this list, I counted new universe as "has not had a playable character before now".
Glad to see somebody else hoping for Ace Attorney.
Also, if you could have one Persona character in Smash, who would it be?

For me, I'd be stuck between Yu, Yosuke, Ren, and Haru. They're my favorites.

Last edited:
I always feel this way. It might be because the one third party I want isn't very likely (Travis Touchdown) but I have almost no interest in any more third party characters. All my most wanted are first party and I'd rather that be Sakurai's focus.

I'm always so surprised most people's top 5's if not their number one is a third party character. Or even worse, a second character from a third party series (seriously not trying to be a jerk, everyone's allowed to support who they want).
My number one wanted Nintendo character is Rex, second is a character from FE16. My number one wanted third party is Bomberman, second is Shantae.

In Sm4sh the number one of each was Shulk and Mega-Man.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Yep, I'm going with the more iconic/important to gaming history franchise. Killer Instinct defined combos, created the announcer chatter, and also created the Combo Breaker, stuff that continues to this day in many many games. I feel that edges it out for Rare options by far. The fact it's still active as a franchise is entirely coincidental.

Of course, you said "think" would get in, so I had to go with something that has more overall merits. Only other choice was Minecraft, and the moveset and character design could have potential issues in comparison. Though it might edge KI out as well. But they're both, imo, the strongest Microsoft contenders with the least hurdles as is.
Sorry. Some people kind of threw the "likely to happen" out the window so it was hard to tell.

StormC

Smash Hero

K. Rool has been my most wanted character since post-Brawl. Basically anything on my list after my top 5-7 is filler, although if I got K. Rool I probably wouldn't complain about anything else in 5mash. Bomberman is probably the third party IP I want the most, but other than that I feel like all the bases are covered. Eggman is someone I'd like because he's an iconic villain and Sonic having a second character after three games wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, although that's a bit of a pandora's box to open.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Glad to see somebody else hoping for Ace Attorney.
Also, if you could have one Persona character in Smash, who would it be?

For me, I'd be stuck between Yu, Yosuke, Ren, and Haru. They're my favorites.
If I could have anyone? Probably Yukiko or Naoto.

Joker and Yu are good choices too.

K. Rool has been my most wanted character since post-Brawl. Basically anything on my list after my top 5-7 is filler, although if I got K. Rool I probably wouldn't complain about anything else in 5mash. Bomberman is probably the third party IP I want the most, but other than that I feel like all the bases are covered. Eggman is someone I'd like because he's an iconic villain and Sonic having a second character after three games wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, although that's a bit of a pandora's box to open.
I still think if Sega got a second rep it should be someone from a different franchise and not a second Sonic character.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I still think if Sega got a second rep it shpuld be someone from a different franchise and not a second Sonic character.
I don't really think any other Sega franchises are Smash worthy. None of them have sold 10% of what Sonic has. But they also don't appeal to me anywhere near as much, so there's that.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I'm calling it now. Springman is planned for base roster. Ribbon girl as a planned alt that gets her own last second clone spot.

When things are all said and done, I expect arms to have around 4-5 characters playable in future Smash games after this upcoming one. Nintendo is still pushing the series hard, and I expect it to have a sequel sometime in the next 2 years. I also expect Smash bros will boost its sales further, although the game did decent on its own for a new IP. Its also one of the only other fighting games Nintendo owns and its characters lend very well into Smash Bros.
Mechanica please

ErenJager

Smash Champion
My preference for third parties, is that they not exist.
I loved Smash 64 and Melee, they got on just fine without third parties.
Although I was heavy into Sonic during the Game Cube era, I kinda did want Sonic in melee, but I digress.
I didn't really like Brawl... they scrapped Mewtwo which was one of my favs... they did bring on Sonic.. which was cool but then I felt Snake didn't fit the tone at the time, so I had mixed feelings on third parties.

By the time Smash Wii U rolled out, I had accepted the concept of third parties.
I really enjoyed how it only included Japanese companies.

I hope Switch continues that trend, there's a few Western based companies that have characters I like, but there's also a mass of western owned properties I would just roll my eyes at.

For some reason I really enjoy specifications and confines for third parties. I don't know why that is, but I do.

Any way, If third parties return, which I'm fairly confident they will... I hope Sakurai continues the Japanese trend... and hopefully appeases my OCD by giving each of the companies involved 2 reps. I wouldn't mind seeing Koei get in this time... or even the smaller guys like Natsume and Level 5.

I don't really think any other Sega franchises are Smash worthy. None of them have sold 10% of what Sonic has. But they also don't appeal to me anywhere near as much, so there's that.
It say it to rep different franchises and because we have seen it with Mega-Man and Ryu for Capcom.

Franchises like Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star, Golden Axe, Yakuza, Shenmue, Sakura Wars, and Valkyria Chronices could easily fit. Especially since a good chunk of them is still used on Nintendo.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
If there were exactly six new universes introduced in Super Smash Bros 2018, what do you think they would be? You must pick one retro and two third parties (not because that's going to happen, but because I said so.)

And obviously Splatoon has to be one of the six.

IMO:
  • Splatoon
  • Excitebike
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • The Mysterious Murasame Castle (Retro Rep)
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania
The reason I don't count Excitebike as the official stand alone retro rep is because his game has received several sequels, kind of like Punch-Out!!.

The criteria for this little game is that you must pick a retro character with only one installment (I know Kid Icarus had two before Brawl, but whatever. I'm making the rules here.)
  • Splatoon (Inklings)
  • Joy Mech Fight (Sukapon)
  • Advance Wars (Sami)
  • The Wonderful 101 (Wonder Red)
  • Tomb Raider (Lara Croft)
  • Tales (Lloyd Irving)

My reasoning on the 3rd-parties is that we currently, in SM4SH, have 6, representing 4 companies, with 2/4 having 2 reps each (Mega Man/Ryu, Sonic/Bayonetta), so I used the 3rd-party slots to include a second rep from Square Enix and Namco Bandai.

StormC

Smash Hero
It say it to rep different franchises and because we have seen it with Mega-Man and Ryu for Capcom.

Franchises like Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star, Golden Axe, Yakuza, Shenmue, Sakura Wars, and Valkyria Chronices could easily fit. Especially since a good chunk of them is still used on Nintendo.
Mega Man and Ryu are video game icons that dwarf anybody on that list though. I don't really want a random Sega character as a "Sega rep."

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

We don’t have both Mega Man and Ryu for the sake of Capcom having two “reps”.

We have both Mega Man and Ryu because they’re both important to Nintendo’s history and gaming history as a whole. They just happen to be owned by the same company.

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
We don’t have both Mega Man and Ryu for the sake of Capcom having two “reps”.

We have both Mega Man and Ryu because they’re both important to Nintendo’s history and gaming history as a whole. They just happen to be owned by the same company.
i'm not sure bayonetta is that important and doesn't really have a lot of history with nintendo.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
i'm not sure bayonetta is that important and doesn't really have a lot of history with nintendo.
She got the benefit of the ballot, where Nintendo recently financing Bayonetta 2's development certainly played a big part in her gaining so many votes.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's not why she got in, however. She was a ballot pick. So she's an exception to how 3rd parties are often picked.

In fact, Geno is the only other one Sakurai has clearly looked at that isn't an iconic 3rd party beyond Bayonetta that we've known of.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
She got the benefit of the ballot, where Nintendo recently financing Bayonetta 2's development certainly played a big part in her gaining so many votes.
that doesn't make her iconic though. she barely left her mark on the gaming industry as whole. her games were lucky to get any help at all. the way i see it is that she got in by pure luck.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I can respect having Lara Croft in the game at least, even if I don't think it'll happen(namely the guns in her OG appearance.) The character is pretty iconic. And having Samus fight either her or Chun-Li would be almost as cool as Mario fighting Sonic and Mega Man, or Link fighting Cloud.

Though I can't agree with something like Lloyd if Namco got another character, I don't even hate the guy. I think IF we get third party characters, they need to be fairly recognizable to the general gaming audience. I'm not saying they need to set the world on fire like Sonic, Mega Man and Cloud. The still have to make Joe Everyman at least a little hype. But I feel Heihachi or Jin from Tekken would make the most sense, given Tekken's a pretty popular series, and Heihachi was considered, if only briefly. Unless they made Dig Dug his own fighter. Klonoa's a bit better, but might be too obscure.

This is true. But that was left up to fan votes. I think that's a pretty special case. Though does have two of her own games exclusive on Nintendo consoles, and is playable in Wonderful 101.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
There's like 6 franchises from SEGA I can see happening, but that's mainly because these are the ones SEGA has interest actually pushing for.

-Puyo Puyo
-Yakuza
-Valkyria Chronicles
-Sakura Wars
-Virtua Fighter
-Phantasy Star Online

Even then Virtua Fighter is debatable. It still gets a lot of references, but the series is technically still dormant. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS however did reference the characters Akira and Jacky via those Mii costumes. Everything else I can't see happening because, remember, it's ultimately what SEGA is interested in. Also I didn't count the SEGA of Europe stuff or Atlus, since they act more independent.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
that doesn't make her iconic though. she barely left her mark on the gaming industry as whole. her games were lucky to get any help at all. the way i see it is that she got in by pure luck.
It's not luck when tons of people voted for her.

Of course she isn't iconic. That wasn't the point of the choice. Unlike the rest.

Nintendo was interested in promoting and publishing her games. That could be called "pure luck" if you want. But it had nothing to do with her being in Smash, as that's a completely different scenario.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sooo any....

*sees nonsensical Bayonetta hate and how she's totally unpopular and lucky and just the bane of someone's existence for the 97th thousand time since she was released as a DLC character*

D

Deleted member

That's not why she got in, however. She was a ballot pick. So she's an exception to how 3rd parties are often picked.

In fact, Geno is the only other one Sakurai has clearly looked at that isn't an iconic 3rd party beyond Bayonetta that we've known of.
That makes me wonder, could Sakurai's statement about Geno being very popular be a response to the ballot or is that someone he would have known about for a long time?

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
There's like 6 franchises from SEGA I can see happening, but that's mainly because these are the ones SEGA has interest actually pushing for.
-Yakuza
Give me Kiryu and Majima Mii costumes, and I'm ****in' set.

Of course, seeing Kiryu-chan be playable would be amazing too.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That makes me wonder, could Sakurai's statement about Geno being very popular be a response to the ballot or is that someone he would have known about for a long time?
Could be either or. Although I think he was interested in him being in Smash regardless of that? He considered it during Brawl, which clearly has nothing to do with the ballot, heh.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Considering he also said he wanted to put him in Brawl and had him on a poll before even that?

I think Geno's someone he's had his eye on for a while.

As for Bayonetta. The cutest thing about all the hatred she gets is that even if she hadn't won the ballot. She'd be in Smash Switch.

She's practically Nintendo's character now essentially and they'd be putting the pressure on Sakurai to add her anyways.

So it's cute that the haters think she wouldn't be in Smash either way.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sega, but for all intents and purposes they can only publish Bayonetta 1 to other consoles. Bayo 2 and 3 will always be Nintendo's for the foreseeable future.

So basically what Nintendo has done has created a legit drug deal in the gaming industry as one of my friends put it.

''The first hit is free, but you gotta pay for the others."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom