• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Hello! I'm new to Smashboards and was hoping to share some character ideas with others!

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Dang, I'm sad I missed all the gay stuff earlier, but dang I never realized how uhh...revealing some of Link's BOTW costumes were. We could potentially get another swimsuit Shulk kind of alternate costume in the next installment if we're lucky.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Such as...?
Well while playing the SSE one day I got an idea that I'm sure is decently common: Primid being playable as a better rep for Smash than the Mii Fighters ever were! I'm sure we all know the Miis started on the Wii so why are they treated like they first appeared in Smash? It's always bothered me. Primid would be a bit better since it originated in Smash to begin with!

Hey! Welcome to Smashboards! Happy to have ya here.

Anyway, you can share your ideas here if you want, but if ya want a place dedicated to talkin' about character ideas, I'd recommend this thread to you. https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-speculation-discussion.453424/page-15
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well while playing the SSE one day I got an idea that I'm sure is decently common: Primid being playable as a better rep for Smash than the Mii Fighters ever were! I'm sure we all know the Miis started on the Wii so why are they treated like they first appeared in Smash? It's always bothered me. Primid would be a bit better since it originated in Smash to begin with!
It's because they were chosen to represent the idea of character customization. Since their moveset is pretty much completely original to Smash, they became a SSB rep instead.

Plus, their regular movesets you'd expect from other games aren't there, so they clearly don't represent the normal style Mii. Albeit, Miis actually are designed to change per whatever game they're in, so in a sense, they're represented pretty accurately.

D

Deleted member

Gumzilla Gumzilla Have fun and don't forget, you're here forever.
I am interested in how Bayonetta's inclusion in Smash has affected her popularity.

There's sure to be a lot of people like myself who picked up the Bayonetta series after her reveal in Smash, so I'm curious how well Bayonetta 3 will do at launch in comparison to Bayonetta 2 on both Wii U and Switch.
I'm not sure. Smash is known for making a big difference in a franchise's future like opening up Fire Emblem outside Japan with FE7. In fact, I was working on an essay regarding how Smash affected the Mother series before I went on my many hiatus back in July, 2015. I don't know if someone at Source Gaming has taken over that but if not, it's a series I'd like to explore because Smash is such a juggernaut that we underestimate its influence on Nintendo's actions and even the gaming industry.

Unfortunately the Switch version of Bayonetta 1 and 2 did poorly in Japan, less than 50K combined. Granted it was a re-release but you would think that with such a successful console that number would be higher by now. That makes Bayonetta 3 a crucial title for the franchise's future. If it succeeds, we may see further investments and maybe, just maybe, Nintendo buying her out since we all know she's a Nintendo exclusive. In which case, that may lead to say, Jeanne getting in the game. But if it fails, she is done.

Platinum Games makes great games but their games are niche and while Nintendo can advertise the game, only so much can be done. If we want Bayonetta to have a future and to support more third-party efforts on the system, we have to do our part and not only buy the games but also encourage our (adult) family and friends to get it too. It's a lot of effort that I hope fans are prepared to help undertake.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
It's because they were chosen to represent the idea of character customization. Since their moveset is pretty much completely original to Smash, they became a SSB rep instead.

Plus, their regular movesets you'd expect from other games aren't there, so they clearly don't represent the normal style Mii. Albeit, Miis actually are designed to change per whatever game they're in, so in a sense, they're represented pretty accurately.
Well you have a point. But still I'll always get a little peeved seeing the Smash logo every time I win a match with them.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well you have a point. But still I'll always get a little peeved seeing the Smash logo every time I win a match with them.
That's fair. I get ya. Same with any logo one doesn't entirely like. I was hoping for a more interesting Final Fantasy VII logo. It's a bit too generic for my tastes.

BTW, please avoid double posting and edit your messages instead. You can also quote more than one message at a time. :)

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
That's fair. I get ya. Same with any logo one doesn't entirely like. I was hoping for a more interesting Final Fantasy VII logo. It's a bit too generic for my tastes.

BTW, please avoid double posting and edit your messages instead. You can also quote more than one message at a time. :)
Ok! I'll keep that in mind! ^^

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Say concerning a certain space pirate everyone wants in the game. If Sakurai were to put him in how do you think he would go about it? I for one can only think of two options:

1. Give up trying and just make him small
This, for me, would feel odd considering how consistently large he's been throughout the Smash games but make a lot of people happy.

2. Use the Mysterious Creature
This would probably make fans angry but a compromise would be make his recovery involve temporarily growing wings. Though it'd be odd.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Still alive
ok the reason being because of how some past leaks have come and go and how some were actually real. i know that this is a different game but this leak got me thinking about how some leaks can be true even if people nitpick every little detail. anybody familiar with the monsters inc world being leaked for kingdom hearts 3? apparently it was thought to be a early build of the world itself. i was wondering if this current leak could be a developers early build of the game? i know that things look jaggy especially with spring man's animations but aren't more early builds like not really fleshed out right? i'd like to know some opinions on this matter.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Say concerning a certain space pirate everyone wants in the game. If Sakurai were to put him in how do you think he would go about it? I for one can only think of two options:

1. Give up trying and just make him small
This, for me, would feel odd considering how consistently large he's been throughout the Smash games but make a lot of people happy.

2. Use the Mysterious Creature
This would probably make fans angry but a compromise would be make his recovery involve temporarily growing wings. Though it'd be odd.
Well Ridley pretty much was a programmed and functioning character in Smash Wii U. He had a moveset and even a psuedo final Smash. All they would need to do is shrink him down just a bit and maybe pin up his wings and tail a bit more.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
If smash bros gets a rep it should be Tabuu.
Would be a cool throwback
No offense but wouldn't Tabuu be a bit... Overpowered? I mean as a boss like Metal Face or Ridley I'd understand but if Tabuu was playable...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They also have the Smash symbol because this.

True.

Though it still makes sense why they were changed around to be a custom character for Smash and all.

But yeah, that slipped my mind. I blame Diddy's Banana Peels.

Well Ridley pretty much was a programmed and functioning character in Smash Wii U. He had a moveset and even a psuedo final Smash. All they would need to do is shrink him down just a bit and maybe pin up his wings and tail a bit more.
While true, the proportions are still an issue. He needs more than just shrinking down. He needs a workable model that can be shrunken down and balanced well without losing his overall design and options. Even if he was somewhat op in some ways, he shouldn't be effectively a boss still. He needs weakening in some way. There's always ways to do it. We've seen in-air super armor, so he could have super armor moves here and there. His tail could remain retracted, and it could have the most spammable attacks do phantom damage(like Fox's Laser) mostly, to avoid his range being too good.

Stuff like that.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
No offense but wouldn't Tabuu be a bit... Overpowered? I mean as a boss like Metal Face or Ridley I'd understand but if Tabuu was playable...
Any character could become balanced. There's no reason they could tone him down to a reasonable strength as a playable character. Also, welcome!

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
If Smash got a character I'd rather see a playable Master Hand. He has a moveset and can talk around on his finger tips.

Or, just give him an amiibo. He deserves it.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I was just thinking about this, but I actually remember hearing about Bayonetta back when my cousins and I still played Halo Reach. At that point in time there wasn't even a sliver of thought that she could be in Smash, it was just some popular character from an Xbox game.

That's crazy. Imagine if Nintendo basically did the same thing with other franchises? Literally, pick up dying games and make them their own, we could see Nintendo have crazy different IPs than normal.

Actually now that I think about it, isn't Chibi Robo also something Nintendo dug out of the grave to make theirs? I think it was a Namco game at first, if I remember.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Well anyway back to my Primid proposal. The many variants give way to many unique moveset ideas! And the different faces are perfect for alternate costumes!

D

Deleted member

Tbh i kinda want to go back to the style of melee intro, for the big e3(or hidden smash direct) blowout in a similar way nelee was revealed to the public. Show of Old characters while new characters pop out in an new clean cinematic, while also hinting at a story mode. All i want is a clean intro movie,heck psasbr had a cool intro, while both brawl and smash 4 resused old clips.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
ok the reason being because of how some past leaks have come and go and how some were actually real. i know that this is a different game but this leak got me thinking about how some leaks can be true even if people nitpick every little detail. anybody familiar with the monsters inc world being leaked for kingdom hearts 3? apparently it was thought to be a early build of the world itself. i was wondering if this current leak could be a developers early build of the game? i know that things look jaggy especially with spring man's animations but aren't more early builds like not really fleshed out right? i'd like to know some opinions on this matter.
See the thing about this leak and what really gets me is that I tackled it thinking it was a Smash 4 mod that would be debunked in minutes, like most others at first. Then the more we analyzed it, the more we realized that its not a mod and way to advanced in areas, such as the lighting. Some animations are solid and some seem missing or WIP. Either way this mod has caused many more questions then initially thought, and at the end of the day its pretty rock solid when it comes to debunking it. The things people are finding wrong with it are nitpicks and don't really impact one way or another. What really gained my interest earlier was my post about the quality of the direct images being the same quality as Switch images in docked mode. And the in game snapshot mode isn't present in the UI, meaning the game might use the internal system snapshot feature and not its own native snapshot feature. Attention to detail like this means we should keep out eye on this until we get new info to compare it too. Even a simple Mario model in action is enough to work with for the most part.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
That said though Nintendo hasn't taken them down.

I really hope there's a surprise Smash direct on the 20th mainly because there's a good chance of the reveal of my favourite veteran because of a certain game's anniversary happening this week.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
I know no one here really cares but today is the 10th anniversary of fossil fighters <3
(maybe he'll get in smash)
I would LOVE Hunter in Smash! Fossil Fighters was one of my favorite games growing up! If Hunter or some other FF character got in I'd die of nostalgia! :D

(edit) When I was younger one of the ideas I had for a stage was on top of Guhnash! Now I know a better idea is inside Guhnash's mouth! Maybe one of the three brains can show up and mess with the stage like Spear Pillar!

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Well anyway back to my Primid proposal. The many variants give way to many unique moveset ideas! And the different faces are perfect for alternate costumes!
*gasp*

Somebody else who wants Primid in the game! Yes!

I'm not the only one anymore!

I've wanted Primid since Smash 4 speculation began, I remember thinking up a moveset involving the blaster and the boomerang, and such.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
*gasp*

I've wanted Primid since Smash 4 speculation began, I remember thinking up a moveset involving the blaster and the boomerang, and such.
I had an idea where he could spawn a metal box to become a metal primid for a short amount of time and if you hit him at the right frame he drops it so you can use it!

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I hope I'm not late in posting this development

(Minmin screenshot from the same 4chan "leaker")
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/413453709
Yeah it's already been brought up here. Those are pre-existing mods for Smash 4 (that I even use myself). There is no way that the person who posted those images is the same as the person who posted the video. This individual is using 4chan anonymity to ride the exposure the last "leak" got.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Gumzilla made me think of an interesting idea.

What would happen if they made a Smash-Original character? You know, like Tabuu?

So far, it's been established in the canon that the Smash Bros universe is not a multi-dimensional arena that opens up to every world each character comes from (as I'm sure we all originally thought), but is in fact a single mysterious world where all the characters seem to just exist in (and with a predefined set of rules that they all seem fairly familiar with, ergo the trophy condition).

In reality, the only genuine residents of this world (though few) are immensely powerful (Master Hand, Crazy Hand, Tabuu—though Tabuu originates in Subspace, but isn't Subspace merely a parallel dimension to the world of Smash?) or are given no known history. Technically speaking, the oldest residents we know of outside the Hands are the R.O.B.s, but they've been all wiped out save for one. Sm4sh's Battlefield pretty much showed us their history outside of the Isle of the Ancients. And even then, it's questionable if the R.O.B.s have always been there, or if they're in the boats as all the other Fighters.

After this many entries in the series with an established canon, would anyone be opposed to a character that isn't the Hands to be a representative of the Smash world itself?

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
*gasp*

I always wished you could unlock Tabuu in Brawl. That would be a sick move set.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Gumzilla made me think of an interesting idea.

What would happen if they made a Smash-Original character? You know, like Tabuu?

So far, it's been established in the canon that the Smash Bros universe is not a multi-dimensional arena that opens up to every world each character comes from (as I'm sure we all originally thought), but is in fact a single mysterious world where all the characters seem to just exist in.

In reality, the only genuine residents of this world (though few) are immensely powerful (Master Hand, Crazy Hand, Tabuu—though Tabuu originates in Subspace, but isn't Subspace merely a parallel dimension to the world of Smash?) or are given no known history. Technically speaking, the oldest residents we known of outside the Hands are the R.O.B.s, but they've been all wiped out save for one. Sm4sh's Battlefield pretty much showed us their history outside of the Isle of the Ancients.

After this many entries in the series with an established canon, would anyone be opposed to a character that isn't the Hands to be a representative of the Smash world itself?
That'd be cool

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
*gasp*

It honestly sounded like an interesting character option to me. Especially since it has lots of potential moves.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
And as for stages there was the previously mentioned "Guhnash's Mouth" stage I mentioned as a Fossil Fighter's stage. How about making Studiopolis zone from Sonic Mania a stage as well? And maybe even using the stages in the Great Maze when you fight the false characters and combining them into a changing stage?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I always wished you could unlock Tabuu in Brawl. That would be a sick move set.
Yeah, I do think Tabuu also has potential as a Smash character, but like Primid, I don't expect it to actually happen.
It honestly sounded like an interesting character option to me. Especially since it has lots of potential moves.
I remember my idea for Primid involved combining most of its SSE appearances, along with some other aspects of SSE, like say, the trophification guns or Big Primid as a final smash.

They were always my ideal pick for a Super Smash Bros series character for Smash itself, but we got Miis for that in the end, so my wish didn't come true. Granted, I still love Miis, it's just that I wish I could also have Primid too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom