• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
1) I'd be down for a Smash-original character like Tabuu returning. Brawl is probably my favorite nostalgia-wise, and as much as it had some flaws, the SSE was truly epic. A character would be a nice callback to that.

2) Whether she was just lucky or not, Bayonetta isn't back in Smash 5 yet. I'm not willing to roll out the welcome mat until the off-putting British lady sings ;)

3) I'd almost like it better if the Miis got a "universe" of their own (ie No Smash logo). It'd make them feel a little bit more at home with the rest of the roster (that, and find a way to make them playable online).

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Maybe the Miis will get Primid costumes.
That'd be pretty cool actually.

Brawler could get a costume based on regular Primid, Swordfighter could get one based on Sword Primid, and Gunner could get one based on Scope Primid, with the arm cannon designed to look like the scope.

Yeah, I like that idea!

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I do think Tabuu also has potential as a Smash character, but like Primid, I don't expect it to actually happen.

I remember my idea for Primid involved combining most of its SSE appearances, along with some other aspects of SSE, like say, the trophification guns or Big Primid as a final smash.

They were always my ideal pick for a Super Smash Bros series character for Smash itself, but we got Miis for that in the end, so my wish didn't come true. Granted, I still love Miis, it's just that I wish I could also have Primid too.
I like to think their throws would incorporate some other enemies like the jyx and borboras!

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
So I see people saying those jump effects seen in the IC/Mario images don't exist while jumping. Well thats true, but only during the first jump from an idle animation. It does exist upon double jumping though. As seen, its a 6 frame animation. So for Mario and IC to have matching effects on the same frame isn't that crazy, especially if one person presses jump on both controllers at once to show off.

compared to
Landing animations create a different effect, something we see SM create.
Running and jumping creates a jumping effect. Jumping from an idle animation does not. This is why SM's effect doesn't exist during the initial jump.

The only thing I can't account for is whether or not SM double jumped. I went frame by frame and didn't see this effect, but the video is at 15 FPS in 360p, recording a game that runs at 60FPS, so a lot of frames are missing in the video. Its also possible he did just one jump, but it kinda looks like hes doing a somersault right before his aerial, meaning we might have missed his double jump giving the illusion he has mad hops

Last edited:

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
I had a moveset idea for Kirlira (though I doubt they'd get in)! Well actually as of the moment only the specials have been thought of. I would appreciate some ideas for their other attacks! ^^

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
S Senselessbreak If it weren't for your in-depth analysis of the leak and comparisons of the rumored video and screenshots with Smash 4 mods, I'd probably be in the "lol totally fake" camp instead of the borderline mark(so I don't fall for a Photoshopped Mac scenario or Rayman leak).

StormC

Smash Hero
If I was a leaker, why wouldn't I show the most complicated animations impossible instead of jumping up and doing a b-air when there is a new character right there with tons of animations that could be activated by attacking them?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Earlier today I had an idea for a pokemon character.
Careful, try not to doublepost.

I had a moveset idea for Kirlira (though I doubt they'd get in)! Well actually as of the moment only the specials have been thought of. I would appreciate some ideas for their other attacks! ^^
Grab would be similar to either Robin's or Mewtwo's, involving some sort of indirect psychic grab.

Side tilt could be a twirl kick, down tilt could be a low twirl kick.

Side smash could be a psychic field that does moderate electric damage. Confusion maybe?

Down air could be like a twirling psychic drill or something.

Down throw could be similar to Kirby's in a way.

How do those ideas sound?

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Careful, try not to doublepost.

Grab would be similar to either Robin's or Mewtwo's, involving some sort of indirect psychic grab.

Side tilt could be a twirl kick, down tilt could be a low twirl kick.

Side smash could be a psychic field that does moderate electric damage. Confusion maybe?

Down air could be like a twirling psychic drill or something.

Down throw could be similar to Kirby's in a way.

How do those ideas sound?
I like it!

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
If there were exactly six new universes introduced in Super Smash Bros 2018, what do you think they would be? You must pick one retro and two third parties (not because that's going to happen, but because I said so.)

And obviously Splatoon has to be one of the six.

IMO:
  • Splatoon
  • Excitebike
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • The Mysterious Murasame Castle (Retro Rep)
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania
The reason I don't count Excitebike as the official stand alone retro rep is because his game has received several sequels, kind of like Punch-Out!!.

The criteria for this little game is that you must pick a retro character with only one installment (I know Kid Icarus had two before Brawl, but whatever. I'm making the rules here.)
1: Splatoon
2: The Mysterious Murasame Castle (Retro)
3: Golden Sun
4: ARMS
5: Akira Kurusu/Ren Amamiya/Joker (Persona/Shin Megami Tensei series)
6: Doomguy (DOOM)

And seeing some Subspace Emissary throwbacks... Ah, nostalgia at it's finest. Tabuu would be pretty unexpected if they brought him back as a playable character. And for some reason I just had a funny thought of a "Multi-Man Team" being the Primids. That would have been pretty neat back in the days of Brawl...

cipher35

Smash Rookie
If there were exactly six new universes introduced in Super Smash Bros 2018, what do you think they would be? You must pick one retro and two third parties (not because that's going to happen, but because I said so.)

IMO:
  • Splatoon
  • Excitebike
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania
The reason I don't count Excitebike as the official stand alone retro rep is because his game has received several sequels, kind of like Punch-Out!!.

The criteria for this little game is that you must pick a retro character with only one installment (I know Kid Icarus had two before Brawl, but whatever. I'm making the rules here.)
I’d probably have to go with
1. Splatoon
2. ARMS
3. Rhythm Heaven
4. Excitebike (Retro)
5. Rayman (Third party 1)
6. Bomberman (Third party 2)

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
One thing that's been bothering me for a while: Why do we need three distinct Mii characters in Smash? I have my qualms on clones, but at the very least they don't take the development time of any other character. Keep a Mii in, sure, but use the devlopment time spent on the two other types and their distinct alternate moves on more characters people would want, or Nintendo characters that could add something to the roster.

And here's the real stinger, instead of having three Miis, I'd wager we could have gotten Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy in the original roster without having to pay for cut veterans.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
One thing that's been bothering me for a while: Why do we need three distinct Mii characters in Smash? I have my qualms on clones, but at the very least they don't take the development time of any other character. Keep a Mii in, sure, but use the devlopment time spent on the two other types and their distinct alternate moves on more characters people would want, or Nintendo characters that could add something to the roster.

And here's the real stinger, instead of having three Miis, I'd wager we could have gotten Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy in the original roster without having to pay for cut veterans.
I miin I doubt we would've gotten all three of those characters, especially as refined as they are. Roy basically has a new moveset that just draws heavy inspiration from Marth. Mewtwo also feels heavily refined from his Melee counterpart. Also, the purpose of Miis was to be everyone's customizable character to fit their wants/niids, and they accomplished that.
I, too, wish they hadn't put as much dev time into the Miis, but it's understandable that they are the way they are.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
One thing that's been bothering me for a while: Why do we need three distinct Mii characters in Smash? I have my qualms on clones, but at the very least they don't take the development time of any other character.
I feel like it was just a concept Sakurai and the development team really wanted to happen... so they made it happen. Simple as that. The outcome may go either way really but I see where they’re coming from, the Mii’s as a character are a special case in many other games besides Smash as well, so the focus isn’t surprising. What I’m really interested in is to see how the Mii will be handled in the Switch version. I personally wasn’t a fan of the custom moves (like, at all) and not being able to use the Mii’s online, but the three distinctive versions of it were sort of neat and the costumes were especially great.

D

Deleted member

The developers really should make a Bowser Castle stage, but what would it look like?
There are so many possibilities.
Would you like one that is more generic without hazards, or ones with stuff like random enemies, fire, thwomps etc?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Even though I could care less about them, the Miis seem like something that really attract casuals. Making three different versions of them seems like a pretty unique idea, and while I'm not a fan of how customization was implemented in Smash 4, I can't deny that building your own moveset sounds like a cool idea on paper. Just for the sake of "adding whoever you want in Smash", I'd keep the Miis.

And as for the three veteran DLC characters getting in Smash if it weren't for the Miis, I doubt it. Dr. Mario was the only cut veteran Sakurai had planned for, and that was only because he was one of the easiest veterans to include. At best, not including the Miis may have gotten this game to release on its original summer 2014 release date.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Miis really showcase the customization thing more than any other character in the game. They can wear a number of different costumes, have different heights, and of course, faces. And asside from Palutena they are the only ones with a ton of different special custom moves.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Instead of asking what newcomers you expect, I want to try something different. Look at the list of franchises below.

Super Mario
Donkey Kong
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Kirby
Pokemon
Fire Emblem
Animal Crossing
Xenoblade Chronicles

With these nine franchises, try ordering them from most likely to least likely based on the odds you think they'll get a newcomer in Smash Switch (this includes DLC). As an example, here's mine:

:4pikachu:>:4shulk:>:4link:>:4marth:>:4mario:>:4samus:>:4kirby:>:4dk:>:4villager:
Pokemon
DK

Kirby
Metroid

Mario
Xenoblade
Zelda
Fire Emblem
Animal Crossing

But they are all quite likely

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
The developers really should make a Bowser Castle stage, but what would it look like?
There are so many possibilities.
Would you like one that is more generic without hazards, or ones with stuff like random enemies, fire, thwomps etc?
That’s a cool idea. It would probably look something like this:

:troll:

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
What a shock.

I'm totally surprised.

I legit did not see this coming.

How could it be fake?

Okay. I'm done I don't think I can get any more sarcastic without going into lethal overdose.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Miis look stupid. Just put in truly customizable fighters like other games have. And who gaf about balance with custom fighters? People ******* about that last time I talked about this.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Miis look stupid. Just put in truly customizable fighters like other games have. And who gaf about balance with custom fighters? People ******* about that last time I talked about this.
Making a totally new styled avatar for Smash wouldn’t work. It supposed to be about Nintendo characters. Miis work really well as a customizable fighter because they are both customizable avatars, and are Nintendo icons.

Having a generic fighter you create that isn’t from anything would make no sense in Smash.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The case is closed for the leak now I guess:

There were just too many things that was weird about it. The fact that the video @Fuzzy Pickles! wasn't taken down in a couple of hours confirmed it was fake. The shadow inconsistency as brought up by Artsy Omni didn't help.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace

IMO:
  • Splatoon
  • Excitebike
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania

1. Splatoon
  2. Arms
  3. Rhythm Heaven
  4. Ace Attorney (3rd party)
  5. The mysterious murasame castle (retro)
  6. The Wonderful 101

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Smash Direct is announced for 4/20.

Labo rep is revealed on the day of it's release.

This is such a Sakurai thing to do that I want to breath it into reality just so we have something to talk about.

blackghost

Smash Champion
i still call it pure luck. if people didn't vote for her, she wouldn't be in the game.
i fail to see how that qualifies as luck. She won a ballot (unless you are one o f the many conspiracy theory people).

One of the things to keep an eye on regarding Nintendo is management changes. Newer management is younger and less traditional. Dont believe me? Look at breathe of the wild, mario odyssey, splatoon's existence, and ARMS. all had younger teams and new direction. Bayonetta's acquisition and subsequent push mirrors this new direction. Dont be suprised when metroid has online multiplayer. dont be surprised when nintendo starts grabbing more ip's for this game. Even pokemon switch has a chance to be a significant departure from the traditional formula as sun and moon were.
I expect this smash game (assuming it is entirely new which i do because inklings have mechanics that arent in the base game of 4. while bayonetta and cloud mechanics were already in smash) to depart in some ways from the past games.

The second point i wanted to say was how if you know the history of the smash games the progression in 4 and 5 has a clear trajectory: smash 1 was an experiment. no one knew if it would sell or not. melee was rushed to follow up leading to the game we have to day full of clones and glitches. Brawl was the first time nintendo knew what they had and began to use outside characters and also showed fans this is a videogame character showcase and not just nintendo. whether you caught that message or not is on you. smash 4 was the first time Nintendo had dlc capability. And they came out swinging: fan votes, new characters, more third party. Its only on this forum i see negative reaction to third arty inclusion. i cant see third party ever eclipsing more than 25 percent of the roster. acting like smash bros is losing its identity is a huge overreaction. AND THE GENERAL HATRED FOR A CHARACTER needs to stop. Also people need to go read what the ballot actually said which was the following:

Vote for the new Super Smash Bros. fighter

Do you want your favorite videogame character to join the battle in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U? Well, here's your chance. Post a videogame character's name and we'll consider turning that character into a Smash fighter! Votes are limited to one per person.
There was nothing guaranteed about it as all.

Compeitive smash is not even 20 percent of smash purhases in all likelihood. Having ryu, cloud, bayonetta, and more included in smash 4 roster made it not just thebest smash roster it made it among the greatest rosters ever assembled. and look how the market reacted: tekken added auma, blaze blue cross tag battle exists. Crossover rosters are a good thing. people love this stuff.

Spatman

Smash Ace
At that point, the only thing beating it would be Naruto and Dragon Ball Z fighting game, and Tobal 2. But even a roster above sixty-five would be massive, as if this game wasn't already so.
Trust me, Sakurai working on Smash is him ultilizing his talents but I will admit I was disappointed to find out that he went straight to this rather than making another game instead. Hopefully he'll get to do that after this game, preferably a new IP.

Games multiplayer based that last for all the gen must to be out as fastest is possible.
There will be all the time of the remaining switch years for Sakurai to do another game

D

Deleted member

The case is closed for the leak now I guess:

Yeah, the janky Animation on Spring Man really killed it for me. Thank god this leak is dead.

Anyway, should I take down the video or edit it to clarify it’s fake? Also what Discord chat was Poland from when he posted that?

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Making a totally new styled avatar for Smash wouldn’t work. It supposed to be about Nintendo characters. Miis work really well as a customizable fighter because they are both customizable avatars, and are Nintendo icons.

Having a generic fighter you create that isn’t from anything would make no sense in Smash.
Except for making Nintendo characters that didn't get in, without them looking ****ing stupid like Miis.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Except for making Nintendo characters that didn't get in, without them looking ****ing stupid like Miis.
Here's the fundamental and very logical problem with what you are saying, because even you should be able to deduce this.

There's no way to make a Nintendo or Third Party character in Smash who didn't get in look anything better than a Mii, because Mii's a generic and simple thing.

A complex system that let you create any character in Smash would be next to impossible because take a look at Nintendo/Third Party icons and requests. Very few of them have similar art styles.

Miis are generic and fit the Smash art style. But a system that lets you create say Chun Li from Street Fighter, Wolf from Star Fox, Captain Toad from Mario, and Lyn from Fire Emblem.

Because you have a woman from a realistic world, an anthro animal with a gun, a cartoon mushroom being, and a swordswoman who is a mixture of the animated and realistic worlds.

That's extensive, time consuming, and literally impossible for any game to pull off in it's character creation without having the home-made results look jarring as hell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom