• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 Please actually censor out the swear word next time.

Anyway, do keep us updated on this. I want to know if he used a rendering software or not. It seems like to be the case. Still, kudos for a damn good job.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
If there were exactly six new universes introduced in Super Smash Bros 2018, what do you think they would be? You must pick one retro and two third parties (not because that's going to happen, but because I said so.)

And obviously Splatoon has to be one of the six.

IMO:
  • Splatoon
  • Excitebike
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • The Mysterious Murasame Castle (Retro Rep)
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania
The reason I don't count Excitebike as the official stand alone retro rep is because his game has received several sequels, kind of like Punch-Out!!.

The criteria for this little game is that you must pick a retro character with only one installment (I know Kid Icarus had two before Brawl, but whatever. I'm making the rules here.)
* Splatoon
* Nintendo Labo
* ARMS
* Golden Sun
* Rayman
* Shantae

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Question, all. Who do you think are the most likely clone characters? I don't think we talk about them enough for how regularly they're included.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Question, all. Who do you think are the most likely clone characters? I don't think we talk about them enough for how regularly they're included.
In before everyone says Isabelle and Dixie as if that's the only things they can be.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Well Octopath got a new trailer today and Dark Souls got a delay announcement...I'm noticing a trend of frequent tiny Switch related announcements. The kind of announcements that could be handled in a mini direct. With E3 so soon I'm starting to doubt we'll get a direct before then. I really don't wanna be in an information drought but :(.

Unless we get a Smash Direct...which I'd love to get some clarification on the game before E3, but why would they do that??? The biggest event in gaming is just a couple months away.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I have no idea, though Octolings could be a Melee-style clone newcomer. At any rate, I'd personally prefer semi-clone newcomers.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
They'd do that because they have an invitational for a game that has no gameplay footage. And I doubt that's the best way to show off the game for the first time. Sure the participants will get time with it before hand, but..

There's also the matter of we have legit 3 for sure characters we know of. It just seems illogical to not have a small Smash direct where Sakurai talks about the project. Shows off Inklings and BoTW Link. And then reveals a few of the veterans standing in the fire alongside maybe one smaller newcomer who is hype but not E3 Hype level.

Polan

Smash Lord
The case is closed for the leak now I guess:

Just thought that I would let you guys know that this Poland fellow has no relation to me, okay thanks. Also it's nice that he's releasing those assets. That Decidueye model looks great and it's how I want Decidueye to look like in the actual game.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Alph/Louie are possible. I’d rather have Louie and keep Alph a costume.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Well Octopath got a new trailer today and Dark Souls got a delay announcement...I'm noticing a trend of frequent tiny Switch related announcements. The kind of announcements that could be handled in a mini direct. With E3 so soon I'm starting to doubt we'll get a direct before then. I really don't wanna be in an information drought but :(.

Unless we get a Smash Direct...which I'd love to get some clarification on the game before E3, but why would they do that??? The biggest event in gaming is just a couple months away.
Because they announced the invitational that involves playing the game before their E3 Direct would be taking place. It would be really odd that our first exposure to the gameplay is strictly from the invitational itself.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ignoring vets like Pichu/Ganondorf, etc.

Octolings sound plausible. Possibly Tom Nookj or a Wolf-style one in Isabelle or Dixie. Hard to say on Alph, but then again, the Pikmin are the focus of the series, not the Captains, and then there's making sure they feel unique enough. Even if it's simply just somewhat changing their physical stats/size and having Rock Pikmin instead of Purple Pikmin, that'd work enough. Mostly a Lucina-style clone in a sense. I can't see the Tether Recovery coming back as an Up B due to balance issues. I could see another Wolf-like one in Shadow, but still having tons of unique abilities, sharing little other than a few animations here and there.

Not much else I can think of at this time.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
They'd do that because they have an invitational for a game that has no gameplay footage. And I doubt that's the best way to show off the game for the first time. Sure the participants will get time with it before hand, but..

There's also the matter of we have legit 3 for sure characters we know of. It just seems illogical to not have a small Smash direct where Sakurai talks about the project. Shows off Inklings and BoTW Link. And then reveals a few of the veterans standing in the fire alongside maybe one smaller newcomer who is hype but not E3 Hype level.
It just makes more sense for the big reveal trailer to be played at E3. We've never had the big hype trailer not during E3, this announcement was different because it was a teaser. But, I definitely want to be wrong!

Speaking of hype, but not too hype characters, who do you think fits a pre-E3 reveal. I feel like either Spring Man or a Pokemon since everyone expects them but they'd still be pretty exciting.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I could see Alph getting promoted to clone if there's time, as well as Funky Kong and maybe Impa.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'd honestly feel satisfied until E3 if we got a direct showcasing Link, Mario, the Inklings (with a proper gameplay trailer like the Smash 4 newcomers) and the reveal of characters in those silhouettes.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Because they announced the invitational that involves playing the game before their E3 Direct would be taking place. It would be really odd that our first exposure to the gameplay is strictly from the invitational itself.
I think it makes sense that they would do what they did for the smash Wii u invitational, direct in the morning and tournament in the evening. I feel like a lot of people for get that's what happened.

I tried looking up dates for their direct or the invitational and I just found the general June 12-14, so the invitational could literally be the day after. June 12th is a Tuesday and Nintendo's E3 presentations have been on Tuesday mornings for years.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It just makes more sense for the big reveal trailer to be played at E3. We've never had the big hype trailer not during E3, this announcement was different because it was a teaser. But, I definitely want to be wrong!

Speaking of hype, but not too hype characters, who do you think fits a pre-E3 reveal. I feel like either Spring Man or a Pokemon since everyone expects them but they'd still be pretty exciting.
Eh. Not particularly. Especially when you consider E3 can't be all about Smash Bros. They have other things to announce. And Nintendo typically doesn't have a super long presentation even when they do announce a lot at E3. It's typically very rapid fire and then they have a treehouse presentation for the rest of the show.

So a separate Smash presentation before the big show makes a lot of sense.

As for pre-E3 reveal? I don't know a Pokemon has the potential to be quite hypeworthy, so no one from that franchise. Spring Man might fit as he's still a relatively new IP. No one third party most likely. Not even Geno.

And probably no ballot plucked characters either because we're most likely going to know if he decided to add someone passed on the ballot and a lot of them are probably E3 Hype worthy.

The odd ball character would probably be a good pick to reveal before E3. The Wii Fit type kind of character. Or and older character with some recent games, someone like Little Mac was for Smash 4.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace

Nintendo is hosting their quarterly financial report meeting next week. I'm not expecting a major announcement, but since Nintendo starts/ends their Fiscal Year in April, we should learn more about their overall plan for the upcoming fiscal year. This covers the time period between now through April 2019, meaning Pokemon Switch and Fire Emblem will likely be mentioned in some form.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Impa deserves better than to be a clone but I wouldn’t mind her sharing some moves with a Sheik
I don't disagree. I'm just saying I can see a scenario where it happens.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
The same old debates for the 58th time and a new leak that was very decently elaborated, although obviously fake.
Springman, ARMS Stage, Decidueye, Cappy Mario, Ice Climbers and Yoshi's Story stage leak? Because I figured it had to be fake. Or not finished product, but most likely fake.

D

Deleted member

I think it makes sense that they would do what they did for the smash Wii u invitational, direct in the morning and tournament in the evening. I feel like a lot of people for get that's what happened.

I tried looking up dates for their direct or the invitational and I just found the general June 12-14, so the invitational could literally be the day after. June 12th is a Tuesday and Nintendo's E3 presentations have been on Tuesday mornings for years.
Either Ridley, Spring Man, or a 7th gen Pokémon newcomer like Mimikyu would work as a pre-E3 reveal.

Last edited by a moderator:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342

I thought I heard the tournament was taking place before their E3 presentation but it's possible I've heard incorrectly. Looking at the E3 site there are no official times or dates so perhaps what I heard was misinformation.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Keep in mind Miis and Palutena were revealed at E3 as well. Pac Man was reserved for later in the day behind closed doors.

So Sakurai can be weird with who he chooses to reveal when and where.

Staarih

Smash Master

If I recall correctly, both the Splatoon 2 Championships and Smash Bros Invitational are to happen 11-12 of June. Nintendo traditionally showcases on the Tuesday (so 12th). It could easily go: Splatoon 2 on the 11th, Nintendo presentation on the 12th (morning) and Smash Bros tournament after that, if they really wanted to keep us waiting until E3 for any info. But that would really push it close. E3 is bound to have some trailer at least, and if we look at the Wii U tournament, it had all the newcomers revealed at that point as part of the playable roster. So I dunno if newcomers revealed at E3 would make it in the tournament roster, like, straight away. Of course everything is planned on advance but still.

I want to see a pre-E3 trailer or something though. I think something ”lowkey generic” (not a big name) could be revealed in something like that. So a Pokémon, Mario or Kirby newcomer.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Hoo boy, there's no right answer to this question. Regardless of who I say, someone's gonna get mad and say, "X doesn't deserve to be a clone character!"

Whatever. I'm just gonna say Alph and leave it at that. Since Alph is already an alt, any form of playability would be an upgrade.

If they dropped Ridley and Mimikyu in the same trailer I would just be the happiest person in the world
I can already picture how Nintendo would promote them.

"One will haunt you in your nightmares. The other will scar you for life."

"It's your job to figure out which is which." :p

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Here is an interesting video:

These are Japanese perspectives on who could be in Smash Switch.
The last guy is the Japanese equivalent to Etika lol.

Speculation there is more or less how it is here in the West.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Seriously, that would break the Internet if it happens if only for Ridley.
Yeah I feel like Ridley is big enough to merit his own trailer.

I'm also a fan of Mimikyu, who a lot of people seem to write off (understandably). I feel like we're probably getting a gen 7 rep, and my personal favorite option from the whole pool is Mimikyu (or Dhelmise but that ain't happening lol)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Mario character could be a good pre-E3 but I think if it was Waluigi he'd probably break the internet a little bit due to his meme king status.

All I ask for Waluigi is that when he flies off the stage one of his quotes is ''EVERYBODDDDYY CHEATTINNNNNGGGGGGG"

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Speculation there is more or less how it is here in the West.
Minus all the Ridley support. :c

All I ask for Waluigi is that when he flies off the stage one of his quotes is ''EVERYBODDDDYY CHEATTINNNNNGGGGGGG"
To add on to that, it'd be nice if Waluigi had his own special clapping animation like Mewtwo (as Mewtwo doesn't clap or show any form of good sportsmanship). Maybe he could make inappropriate faces at the winner?

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
At the risk of inciting Roger, I do think Dixie Kong, should she get in, will be at most a semi-clone.

Change neutral-b to Bubblegum Popgun, change up-b to a hair spin, and have a few animations utilizing her ponytail instead of stretchy limbs. Other than that, she could easily reuse a ton of Diddy’s animations since they look and play almost exactly alike in DKC.

Other than that, I could see Octolings and Alph get away with being Melee-esque clones, if Sakurai deemed it neccasary.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Seriously, that would break the Internet if it happens if only for Ridley.
Absolutely, but the cool thing about Mimikyu is I know a lot of friends who don't care at all about Smash speculation, but would lose their **** over a Mimikyu announcement. Mimikyu just blew up on the internet even if you didn't play videogames.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
At the risk of inciting Roger, I do think Dixie, should she get in, will be at most a semi-clone.

But nah. You're okay to have your opinion. It's just to me it's very obvious she wouldn't be.

I doubt Sakurai would make a tag team character and have any of the moves even be remotely the same. So he at least had/has the beginning stages of a unique Dixie moveset in his head.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom