• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Yeah, I agree. Which makes me wonder if the original guy will ever actually come back.
I think the only way he comes back is if he has something else of equal quality to his other posts, which seems unlikely as he clearly put a lot of work into the first one. I'd imagine we'll have actual gameplay by the time he could finish something else.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Hey, y'all. 4chan guy is back, and this time he dug his own grave.

He went on to say that he'll "post more clips later in the week", but both of these are clearly Smash 4 mods. Personally, I don't even believe this is the same guy.
Somewhat irrelevant to the post, but I'd be surprised if Pikachu doesn't get a detective cap in one of his alts. Seems like an easy way to promote that live-action movie coming out next year (which me and a few of my friends are totally wasting our money to go see on opening night :chuckle:).

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Saw a fun game on Reddit and thought I'd share.

Pick one character that debuted on each Nintendo console to be in the next Smash game:

NES: Excitebike

SNES: Dixie Kong

Gameboy: Giovanni

N64: Paper Mario

Gamecube: Louie

Wii: Captain Toad

3DS: Mimikyu

Wii U: Yarn Yoshi

Switch: Springman
NES: Ridley (Pig Ganon is in a close second)

SNES: K. Rool

Gameboy: Dark Matter

N64: Banjo-Kazooie, or maybe Skull Kid, or maybe Waluigi. Wow the N64 had a lot of great games.

Gamecube: Tingle

GBA: Fawful (I love him but it’d be weird having him over Toad, Paper Mario, or Waluigi so I’m mixed)

DS: Bandana Waddle Dee (Super Star Ultra)

3DS: Decidueye

Wii U: Wonder-Red (I don’t really want him, but I had to pick a Wii U character)

Switch: Rex & Pyra

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You know, people constantly debate about the timing of Smash development and games being in development are forgetting about a very important tidbit.

It means absolutely nothing when DLC is possible. So even if a character skips out due to poor timing, that doesn't necessarily mean they're automatically disqualified for good.

StormC

Smash Hero
You know, people constantly debate about the timing of Smash development and games being in development are forgetting about a very important tidbit.

It means absolutely nothing when DLC is possible. So even if a character skips out due to poor timing, that doesn't necessarily mean they're automatically disqualified for good.
Pretty sure nobody here was saying that.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

I mean yeah, but I think as of now we’re just speculating in terms of the base roster specifically.

There’s already a certain group of characters that seem to be considered “likely if not in the base game.”
Namely Spring Man, Rex, and a Gen 8 Pokemon.

I’m personally thinking that Rex and Spring Man will be base game, with a Gen 8 Pokemon as DLC since Pokemon Switch only just started development late 2016 the earliest, when the roster was being decided. However, I could see Rex and Spring Man also being DLC.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Ya the leaks are by two completely different people and aren't even close in similarity of skill. Also they are from existing mods and just poorly cut and pasted the UI from the other leaks.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
NES: Ninten

SNES: Marx/ Kamek

GCN: King Boo?

Wii: Captian Toad

Switch: Sushi Striker Dude

3DS: Decidueye/Badge Arcade Bunny

DS: Maxwell (Scribblenauts)

GBA: Fawful/Grovyle

Game Boy: Gooey?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Can't say I'm one of those guys too invested in the Champions in any way whatsoever. Though that's probably because I've warmed up to the idea of a Classic Ganon. People like to talk about "repping" things, so that'd be a good way that throw a lot of references from the 2-D Zeldas. I could see him having a color based on Ganon-Yuga too.

Not too heavily interested in the Zelda cast, but if I had to pick one, I think Pig Ganon would be cool.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I have a gut feeling about Toon Zelda. If Zelda gets a sort of revamp, I could see her sneaking into the roster late. The Phantom is her move, anyway.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Definitely not a copy cat guiz!!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that render of Steve before so yeah I’m gonna have to lock this down at 1000% confirmed. Sakurai just can’t keep a hold on these leaks, smh.

:p

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Nintendo: Ganon

Super Nintendo: King K. Rool

Gameboy Color: Togetic

Nintendo 64: Waluigi

Gameboy Advance: Jirachi

Gamecube: Krystal

Nintendo DS: Sylux

Nintendo 3DS: Isabelle

Wii-U: Plasm Wraith (technically you could argue it debuted on Gamecube because it's most likely the same character as the Water Wraith and Goolix but whatever)

Nintendo Switch: Spring Man

For your own safety I recommend you delete this and put it on 4chan instead before Nintendo catches on and finds out who you are.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
A really interesting post showed up during Jibanyan's RTC rating:

Started off as a manga so it's technically not a "video game character" which I'm pretty sure is Sakurai's one requirement. That an have been on a Nintendo console. A Yokai-Watch character would completely throw out all the rules. It would mean even things like Shrek would be viable since a Shrek game came out on the Gamecube. So absolutely not.
In all my time as a YW fan, I did not know about the manga starting before the video game TBH. But, I am not sure if Sakurai would look into as far of a detail as that, he would probably know Jibanyan more as a video game character than not, given the franchise's huge popularity spike when YW2 came out. The video game itself is the primary root of all the multimedia expansion in Yo-kai Watch. That has been and always has been Level-5's core strategy for marketing their games with their recent franchices like Lady Layton, Inazuma Eleven Ares, and the recent Snack World.

Honestly, I don't think it disqualifies any potential Level-5 candidate like the protagonist of Snack World or possibly the protagonist of the upcoming Inazuma game. The manga was more of a pre-promotion for the video game than anything else. Do recent Level-5 franchises qualify for Smash if the core video game matters, but the anime/manga coming first as a side-thing?

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
If there were exactly six new universes introduced in Super Smash Bros 2018, what do you think they would be? You must pick one retro and two third parties (not because that's going to happen, but because I said so.)

And obviously Splatoon has to be one of the six.

IMO:
  • Splatoon
  • Excitebike
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • The Mysterious Murasame Castle (Retro Rep)
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania
The reason I don't count Excitebike as the official stand alone retro rep is because his game has received several sequels, kind of like Punch-Out!!.

The criteria for this little game is that you must pick a retro character with only one installment (I know Kid Icarus had two before Brawl, but whatever. I'm making the rules here.)

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
If there were exactly six universes introduced in Super Smash Bros 2018, what do you think they would be? You must pick one retro and two third parties (not because that's going to happen, but because I said so.)

IMO:
  • Splatoon
  • Excitebike
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania
The reason I don't count Excitebike as the official stand alone retro rep is because his game has received several sequels, kind of like Punch-Out!!.

The criteria for this little game is that you must pick a retro character with only one installment (I know Kid Icarus had two before Brawl, but whatever. I'm making the rules here.)
Wait, why would you require Splatoon but not require Mario and Zelda?

I actually don't think we'll get any, smash 4 and it's dlc was a little oversaturated and I think Sakurai knows that, it's a little too late for a FE Switch character probably and alm and celica, while they offer unique stuff just aren't interesting enough as fighters imo to be included over others

It could happen but I think it's they're too new to be included, DLC for sure tho

I could see it and wouldn't be mad, mipha seems to be the standout among fans but since the roster was decided before botw came out that's not a factor. Daruk is a good option too because Zora's and Goron's are such staples to the series. I could see both tbh Zelda hasn't had a newcomer in a long time.

I don't think it will happen, like rex too new, I wouldn't expect any characters that debuted past mid-2016 except maybe a pokemon. The developers themselves had said the series is too new but that could just be the PR talking who knows. I still don't see it tho. DLC fighter for sure.
Can't really use the "too new" argument when we have had characters like Roy who was added before his game came out and Greninja who was added before even being revealed for X and Y.

Plus we have gotten at least one new FE character each Smash and with FE16 being the first console one in like 12 years and being the first HD one I am sure both Nintendo and IS will be heavily pushing it.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
For me...

NES: Ridley

SNES: King K. Rool

N64: Waluigi

Gamecube: Dark Samus

GBA: Andy or Issac

DS: Fossil Fighter

3DS: Decidueye

Wii U: Wonder-Red

Switch: Spring Man

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Because he's asking what universes do you think they'd introduce in Smash 5. As in, universes that don't have any playable characters yet.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
NES: Wizpig Ganon
Gameboy:
SNES: K Rool
N64: Waluigi
GBA: Isaac
GC: Chibi Robo
DS: Ashley
Wii: Bandana Dee
WiiU: Wonder Red
Switch: Logically Spring Man, biasly Rex+Pyra

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
If there were exactly six universes introduced in Super Smash Bros 2018, what do you think they would be? You must pick one retro and two third parties (not because that's going to happen, but because I said so.)

IMO:
  • Splatoon
  • Excitebike
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania

Alright...
  • Splatoon
  • Style Savvy
  • Sin and Punishment
  • Volleyball (Retro Rep)
  • Shantae
  • Castlevania

I can agree with most of this, particularly points 1, 5, 7, and 8.

The only points I don't quite see the same as you are the ones regarding Rex, an ARMS character, and a FE Switch character. While I think there's a good chance we could get a few of these characters, I wouldn't say their chances are high enough to be "basically guaranteed".

If I had to take a guess, the odds of these games getting a character are as follows: Xenoblade 2 > ARMS > FE Switch.
Fire Emblem has gotten at least one new character each Smash since Melee. A newcomer is very likely and the new game will be both the first console one in like 12 years and the first HD one so I think both Nintendo and Intelligent Systems will be heavily pushing it. And given the newcomers are pretty much picked from newer games that game is the most likely besides Echoes.

And just like Splatoon both Xenoblade and ARMS are heavily pushed new Nintendo IPs. And with Inklings making it in and Shulk being in Smash 4 with just one game I think characters are very likely.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
He’s talking about new universes being introduced into the series. He’s saying splatoon because this is the first smash game where Splatoon has playable representation.

If there were exactly six new universes introduced in Super Smash Bros 2018, what do you think they would be? You must pick one retro and two third parties (not because that's going to happen, but because I said so.)

IMO:
  • Splatoon
  • Excitebike
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania

- Splatoon
- ARMS
- Rhythm Heaven
- Mach Rider (Retro Pick, I’d choose Excitebike but you’re saying that wouldn’t count)
- Rayman
- Banjo-Kazooie or Castlevania

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

IMO:
  • Splatoon
  • Excitebike
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania

-Splatoon
-Chibi Robo
-Murasame Castle
-Custom Robo if I'm lucky
-Spyro if I'm extra lucky
-Bomberman
-And, bonus, Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons because I'm feeling optimistic enough to account for an entire nation.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908

IMO:
  • Splatoon
  • Excitebike
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania

1.) Codename S.T.E.A.M
2.) Codename S.T.E.A.M BoxBoy!
3.) Codename S.T.E.A.M Shovel Knight
4.) Squid Children with Guns Codename S.T.E.A.M
5.) Codename S.T.E.A.M Balloon Fight/Trip
6.) Codename S.T.E.A.M Rayman

Easy peasy

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly I want to give Mario the Mario Odyssey outfit. The Mario Odyssey is a little more realistic but very nice looking. It does not look too realistic like Brawl, but it looks very appealing.
Mario is not getting Cappy, but that style looks great on Mario. Just give Mario the Mario Odyssey style without Cappy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
NES: Ridley (Metroid)

SNES: K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country)

N64: Waluigi (Mario Tennis)

Gameboy: Captain Syrup (Wario Land)

Gamecube: Chibi-Robo

GBA: Isaac (Golden Sun)

DS: Ray Mk III (Custom Robo Arena)

Wii: Not sure. Amaterasu I guess? Captain Toad would also be fine with me.

3DS: Hades (Kid Icarus: Uprising)

Wii U: Elma (Xenoblade Chronichles X)

Switch: Spring Man (with Ribbon Girl clone or alternate costume)

IMO:
  • Splatoon
  • Excitebike
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania

Rhythm Heaven is already a universe in Smash, since it has a Smash Run enemy.

Last edited:
A really interesting post showed up during Jibanyan's RTC rating:

In all my time as a YW fan, I did not know about the manga starting before the video game TBH. But, I am not sure if Sakurai would look into as far of a detail as that, he would probably know Jibanyan more as a video game character than not, given the franchise's huge popularity spike when YW2 came out. The video game itself is the primary root of all the multimedia expansion in Yo-kai Watch. That has been and always has been Level-5's core strategy for marketing their games with their recent franchices like Lady Layton, Inazuma Eleven Ares, and the recent Snack World.

Honestly, I don't think it disqualifies any potential Level-5 candidate like the protagonist of Snack World or possibly the protagonist of the upcoming Inazuma game. The manga was more of a pre-promotion for the video game than anything else. Do recent Level-5 franchises qualify for Smash if the core video game matters, but the anime/manga coming first as a side-thing?
You were the chosen one. Destined to keep us informed of Yokai watch. Instead you have left us in the darkness all these years.

How could you Anakin Blue
:060:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I don't think you misread. Five universes INTRODUCED in Smash 2018. Universes that have not had playable characters before.
Oh... I see.
Actually, I think I did misread it. :troll:
*AHEM* Sorry about that, my mistake.

Anyway:

Splatoon
Rhythm Heaven
Chibi Robo
The Mysterious Murasame Castle
Ace Attorney
Bomberman

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Fire Emblem has gotten at least one new character each Smash since Melee. A newcomer is very likely and the new game will be both the first console one in like 12 years and the first HD one so I think both Nintendo and Intelligent Systems will be heavily pushing it. And given the newcomers are pretty much picked from newer games that game is the most likely besides Echoes.

And just like Splatoon both Xenoblade and ARMS are heavily pushed new Nintendo IPs. And with Inklings making it in and Shulk being in Smash 4 with just one game I think characters are very likely.
Eh, I don’t think patterns matter as much as people say they do. It is reasonable to trust them when they’ve happened frequently like this, but other conditions can’t be ignored.

There was significant backlash to the amount of FE characters on Smash 4’s roster, and even Sakurai thought Corrin would be too much, and only put him in because a crap ton of people on the dev team wanted him.

I think Sakurai might want to take a break on Fire Emblem characters for now, even though FE16 is supposed to be launching this year. Maybe we will se FE16’s protagonist as DLC, or maybe even in the base roster, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Saw a fun game on Reddit and thought I'd share.

Pick one character that debuted on each Nintendo console to be in the next Smash game:

NES: Excitebike

SNES: Dixie Kong

Gameboy: Giovanni

Gamecube: Louie

Switch: Springman
NES: Mike Jones (Star Tropics)
Game Boy: Daisy (Super Mario Land)
SNES: King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country)
Game Boy Color: Smeargle (Pokemon: Gold and Silver)
N64: Saki (Sin and Punishment)
Virtual Boy: Harry (Teleroboxer, sorry nester)
Game Boy Advance: Vaati (Zelda: Four Swords)
GameCube: Tom Nook (Animal Crossing)
DS: Weavil (Metroid Prime: Hunters)
Wii: Bandana Waddle Dee (first playable appearance: Kirby: Return to Dreamland)
3DS: Dillon (Dillon’s Rolling Western)
Wii U: Mallo (Pushmo World)
Switch: Byte and Barq (ARMs)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Splatoon
ARMS
Dillon's Rolling Western
Shovel Knight
Balloon Fight (Retro Rep)
Tomb Raider

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

IMO:
  • Splatoon
  • Excitebike
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania

• Splatoon
  • Killer Instinct(3rd party)
  • Rabbids(as they're their own series now, 3rd party)
  • ARMS
  • The Mysterious Muramasa Castle(Retro Rep)
  • Rhythm Heaven
While some could represent their own series, like Tingle, I don't feel he has that high of a chance. Among the Microsoft options, the two I'd bank on the most are Killer Instinct and Minecraft. Halo is their flagship franchise, so it not being there makes sense. That leaves two other major franchises to consider. As for Rabbids, I think their chances are looking higher than Rayman at this time. The Mario crossover is actually huge in itself, as Nintendo allowing their characters to be Rabbidfied is a pretty big deal in itself.

Instead of asking what newcomers you expect, I want to try something different. Look at the list of franchises below.

Super Mario
Donkey Kong
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Kirby
Pokemon
Fire Emblem
Animal Crossing
Xenoblade Chronicles

With these nine franchises, try ordering them from most likely to least likely based on the odds you think they'll get a newcomer in Smash Switch (this includes DLC). As an example, here's mine:

:4pikachu:>:4shulk:>:4link:>:4marth:>:4mario:>:4samus:>:4kirby:>:4dk:>:4villager:
1. Pokemon - We get at least one new PKMN every Smash
2. Fire Emblem - We have gotten at least one new FE character every Smash since Melee
3. Mario - Some Mario characters like Paper Mario and Captain Toad are still heavily used and relevant
4. Xenoblade - The series has only increased in popularity
5. Kirby - Still heavily used and Sakurai's baby
6. DK - Still heavily used and a few characters that are still relevant to add
7. Zelda - Main trio is in but a couple sides still possible (we haven't seen a new character since technically Melee though)
8. Metroid - It has been only Samus for so long I doubt too many other additions possible (Metroid Prime 4 could decide that though)
9. Animal Crossing - Villager pretty much reps it entirely, the only other choice I could see is Isabelle

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

IMO:
  • Splatoon
  • Excitebike
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania

1. Splatoon
  2. Boxboy
  3. Rhythm Heaven
  4. Balloon Fight
  5. Banjo-Kazooie
  6. Bomberman

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

You rang?!
GL.png

"GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?!"

"A totally legit leak."

"...Can I see actual footage of them fighting?"

"..................................................................................."
"No."

Eh, I don’t think patterns matter as much as people say they do. It is reasonable to trust them when they’ve happened frequently like this, but other conditions can’t be ignored.

There was significant backlash to the amount of FE characters on Smash 4’s roster, and even Sakurai thought Corrin would be too much, and only put him in because a crap ton of people on the dev team wanted him.

I think Sakurai might want to take a break on Fire Emblem characters for now, even though FE16 is supposed to be launching this year. Maybe we will se FE16’s protagonist as DLC, or maybe even in the base roster, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t.
The size of the FE roster is at a good size and all we have to do is replace the two Marth "clones". I easily see Fire Emblem staying 6 every Smash, which isn't too much, and just replacing a couple characters each time.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion

IMO:
  • Splatoon
  • Excitebike
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania

I’ll play your game, you rogue.

1) Splatoon
2) Soul Calibur (3rd Party)
3) Star Tropics (Retro Rep. don’t care it has two entries. I broke the rule)
4) Bomberman (3rd Party)
5) ARMs
6) Codename STEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom