• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
As much as I doubt a spin-off title like Warriors will get a playable characters, I would not be turned off to the idea of Lana (or maybe even Linkle) being added to the game. Nintendo has already reincarnated that game 3 times, once on each of their most recent consoles. Maybe something could happen there.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I think it is very exciting that we will probably get DLC again, and maybe more than last time.

Makes the speculation period longer and helps some characters's chances.
Speakin' of which, let's place some bets now. Smash 4 got 7 full-fledged DLC characters. What do y'all expect from Smash 5 DLC? Personally, I'm placin' my bet around 10.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
At least one arms character is guaranteed
Either base roster or dlc

My hope is we get one or two more, clone or not
I'm calling it now. Springman is planned for base roster. Ribbon girl as a planned alt that gets her own last second clone spot.

When things are all said and done, I expect arms to have around 4-5 characters playable in future Smash games after this upcoming one. Nintendo is still pushing the series hard, and I expect it to have a sequel sometime in the next 2 years. I also expect Smash bros will boost its sales further, although the game did decent on its own for a new IP. Its also one of the only other fighting games Nintendo owns and its characters lend very well into Smash Bros.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Speakin' of which, let's place some bets now. Smash 4 got 7 full-fledged DLC characters. What do y'all expect from Smash 5 DLC? Personally, I'm placin' my bet around 10.
That seems about right. I expect about 10-12 characters being added to this base game, including Wolf and Ice Climbers. More than Smash 4’s DLC, less than its base game.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Super late by this point, but please remember to not stray too far off topic in this thread. It's not a Social, and half the posts acting like it is would be infracted by now if I weren't posting this as a reminder. (Odds are if you have to ask if that includes your post, it probably means yes/you know who you are).

Anyway, as far as any sort of "hierarchy" for Zelda series goes. I view it as this.

• Main cast/Triforce wielders (all currently playable characters as of Brawl, variations/incarnations of Link/Zelda/Ganon, most notably missing are Tetra/"Toon Zelda")
  • Spin-off/alternate subseries mascots (Tingle and I suppose different variations of Link outside of the current playable 2 would fall here)
  • Reoccurring/reincarnated characters (Tingle, Impa, Vaati, Skull Kid/Wolf Link/Fi on technicalities, the forms/vassals of the goddesses Din/Farore/Nayru, and minor side NPCs such as Beedle/generic enemy and boss species)
  • One offs/single game/subseries "represenatives" (Sheik, servants of Ganon (everyone from Agahnim to Yuga, most notably Ghirahim), Skull Kid, the sages and other prominent characters from OoT/MM/WW, Midna, Fi (spirit form), the Champions/successors from BotW (the former being more likely due to their roles/abilities), various iterations of King Hyrule (most prominent being the King of Red Lions from WW), ALBW characters (Ravio/Hilda), and of course the Hyrule Warriors OCs (Lana/Linkle being the most prominent).
I genuinely don't expect Sakurai think in terms of "Representatives/representation" when it comes to the Zelda series, given we saw a disproportionate amount of items/assist trophies/songs from various Zelda games in lieu of a brand new character in Smash 4.

I'm with the "please revamp everyone to not be TP Zelda + Toon Link" crowd on this in that I'd prefer that over any obligatory flavor of the game addition. The Champions could easily be represented in similar ways as all the other characters in Brawl/Smash 4 (on top of potentially being part of Link/Zelda's movesets via Champion Powers).

If I had to pick, I'd say Tingle/Impa/Toon Zelda would be great newcomer choices in their own right that I would take over any one-offs not counting Sheik returning (I wasn't a fan before Smash 4, but now each of them and even other side characters intrigue me as to how they'd be portrayed creatively in a game post-Hyrule Warriors, Sheik in Smash herself being a good example of what Sakurai can pull out of his figurative ***).
To be fair, regardless of how you count characters, there have always been an equal amount on the select screen for Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon since Melee, with the exception of Mario sometimes having more and DLC. That's probably why Bowser Jr was on the brink of getting cut and Zelda didn't receive any newcomers in the previous game. Because Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon each had 5.

So if we get, say Captain Toad & Mimikyu, we may get another Zelda character, possibly Toon Zelda & Tetra, making 7 for each, not counting extra clones.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
10 seems about right, and 10-ish with the base game including wolf and ice climbers. There'll probably be some sort of season pass this time.

Man Smash For really got 7 characters? Man. . .I forgot how many it was. Not to mention costumes and stages and stuff What the **** that was a lot of DLC. . .bless your hearts dev team.

Damn if you had asked me before I would have guessed 5 for DLC but now im not sure. Of course, II think we're putting the wagon before the horse here. We don't even have gameplay or a release date. Let alone a guess on the size of the base roster and we're already trying to guess post-game. :laugh:

Ifi I had to take a guess, 7 because im unoriginal.
:061:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Man Smash For really got 7 characters? Man. . .I forgot how many it was. Not to mention costumes and stages and stuff What the **** that was a lot of DLC. . .bless your hearts dev team.

Damn if you had asked me before I would have guessed 5 for DLC but now im not sure. Of course, II think we're putting the wagon before the horse here. We don't even have gameplay or a release date. Let alone a guess on the size of the base roster and we're already trying to guess post-game. :laugh:

Ifi I had to take a guess, 7 because im unoriginal.
3 of those 7 were vets though and 2 were clones so idk if the same would apply, assuming we get wolf and icies in the base game 7 brand new newcomers could be a good amount who knows

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
It's a lot of DLC characters, but it bothers the **** outta me. 7 DLC characters when we could support 8 players? I'll never get over that as long as I live.
I mean, you have a point, it may be a bit too early to start speculating on DLC. However, considering Nintendo's been embracing the idea recently, I think it's a safe bet that we'll be gettin' something after the game's launch.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Speaking of thirst... am I the only one here craving for more leaks solely because of the Spring Man one? It just lights a fire in me

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Oh the DLC is definitely going to come and it will come hard. I am optimistic that Rex will make the base roster, but I'll gladly pay for him as DLC.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Oh the DLC is definitely going to come and it will come hard. I am optimistic that Rex will make the base roster, but I'll gladly pay for him as DLC.
I mean DLC would make a great way to include characters that may have missed the planning stages, Elma in the base roster with Rex as DLC, Springman, FE Switch character, Pokemon gen 8, Prime 4 etc. And it's a good strategy to promote new games.

Speaking of thirst... am I the only one here craving for more leaks solely because of the Spring Man one? It just lights a fire in me
I'm craving a ****ing announcement, come on nintendo tf

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
As much as I doubt a spin-off title like Warriors will get a playable characters, I would not be turned off to the idea of Lana (or maybe even Linkle) being added to the game. Nintendo has already reincarnated that game 3 times, once on each of their most recent consoles. Maybe something could happen there.
I would honestly settle for some music from it and other spin offs at this point. The rendition of Molgera's theme, Tellur Town (Autumn) from Pokkén and Big Blue from MK8 all being in Smash would be the dream.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Oh trust me, you're not alone. There are times where I feel like leaks are more fun to discuss than actual announcements, because it sparks some GREAT debates sometimes.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
there have always been an equal amount on the select screen for Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon since Melee
Melee
  • Mario: 5 (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Dr. Mario)
  • Pokémon: 4 (Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pichu, Mewtwo)
  • Zelda: technically 4, but actually 5 despite Sheik not appearing on the select screen (Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Young Link)
Brawl
  • Mario: 4 (same as Melee minus Dr. Mario)
  • Pokémon: 4, or 6 if you count all of the Pokémon Trainer's Pokémon (Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokémon Trainer, Lucario)
  • Zelda: 5 (same as Melee with Toon Link replacing Young Link)
Sm4sh
  • Mario: 7, or 14 if you count all of the Koopalings even though they're just alt. costumes (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Dr. Mario, Rosalina & Luma, Bowser Jr.)
  • Pokémon: 6 (Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Lucario, Mewtwo, Greninja)
  • Zelda: 5 (same as Brawl)
So you're JPW, m8.

I've been craving leaks and info since March 8th
:062:
Actually this isnt even accurate. I've been thirsty since December 15th 2015. . .

TBH, I wouldn't mind if Elma makes the base roster and Rex becomes DLC, it gives both fanbases what they want.
This would be my "best case scenario." I think Elma would have an extremely fun moveset and I need a Mira stage. And XC2 is one of my favorite games of all time at the moment so seeing the MC in smash would be neat.

Which means it won't happen. :teeth:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
TBH, I wouldn't mind if Elma makes the base roster and Rex becomes DLC, it gives both fanbases what they want.
I mean if Elma was base roster then there's no reason to have Rex/Pyra as DLC IMO.

Unless they got in through fan demand, they wouldn't be promoting anything. Their game would be over a year old by the time DLC happens.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So, either at E3 or if we get a Smash Direct, how many Veterans do you all think they will show?
I'd say mostly the basic unlocked cast; besides Mario and Link, Yoshi, Peach, Captain Falcon, Ness, Marth, Zelda, Sheik, Toon Link, Bowser, Rosalina, Robin, Ike, Fox, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Pikachu, Charizard, Greninja, Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk.

Maybe some others, depending. A lot of the ones I didn't mention either could be not in the base game or unlockable. Hard to say. But I think many of them will be shown among the list I gave.

D

Deleted member

If we were to get everyone from the last game to return, and twenty-two or more additions this game counting both base and DLC, we would be looking at the final roster having, yes, eighty or more characters.

I can see more than seventy, I can even see more than seventy-five. But eighty or more characters? That's insane, especially if it's somewhat well balanced. If that somehow happens, then we've got likely the biggest video game cross-over in history. Something that would likely never be topped again.

But can we honestly comprehend eighty characters on a roster? It would blow my mind.

Remember that there was a time when we questioned if Smash 3DS & Wii U would even have fifty characters and look how many we got. I almost feel as we're going to get too much and we'll all be burnt out for a long, long time and I'm not just talking in the span of a generation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean if Elma was base roster then there's no reason to have Rex/Pyra as DLC IMO.

Unless they got in through fan demand, they wouldn't be promoting anything. Their game would be over a year old by the time DLC happens.
Who says Rex would be in to promote anything?

Hell if being old is a problem, Elma is going to 3+ years old by the time Smash Switch releases.
A Distant Demon A Distant Demon
Voted Daruk for my favorite, and Mipha for likelihood. :p
Congrats, you're the only Daruk fan. . . TBH when I saw someone voted Daruk I assumed it was you :laugh:

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If we were to get everyone from the last game to return, and twenty-two or more additions this game counting both base and DLC, we would be looking at the final roster having, yes, eighty or more characters.

I can see more than seventy, I can even see more than seventy-five. But eighty or more characters? That's insane, especially if it's somewhat well balanced. If that somehow happens, then we've got likely the biggest video game cross-over in history. Something that would likely never be topped again.

But can we honestly comprehend eighty characters on a roster? It would blow my mind.

Remember that there was a time when we questioned if Smash 3DS & Wii U would even have fifty characters and look how many we got. I almost feel as we're going to get too much and we'll all be burnt out for a long, long time and I'm not just talking in the span of a generation.
You make a valid point. 80 characters would be an insane amount. In fact, let me put 80 characters into perspective for everyone. Right now, Smash 4, with it's 58 characters, doesn't even make the top 10 for biggest fighting game rosters.

If Smash 5 had 80 characters, it would shoot its way up to #5 on the list.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Actually this isnt even accurate. I've been thirsty since December 15th 2015. . .

This would be my "best case scenario." I think Elma would have an extremely fun moveset and I need a Mira stage. And XC2 is one of my favorite games of all time at the moment so seeing the MC in smash would be neat.

Which means it won't happen. :teeth:
I'd rather have a New LA stage personally, A mira stage covering all 5 regions would be the best but that's a little ambitious, and primordia is boring although the dinosaurs are cool

I hope we don't get anything from XC2, because everything about that game is tasteless.
It was alright, but not even close to X which isn't even close to the original imo

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I hope we don't get anything from XC2, because everything about that game is tasteless.
Boooooo!

Just because a game has characters that do not personally appeal to you, or that you do not like, does not mean that there are not lots of people that do like them. You should not need to attack other people's likes in games/characters.

How about instead suggesting who you would like to see in Smash instead of a XC2 rep? ;)

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
We have a character in Smash that literally attacks by farting. If something is to be intentionally excluded I doubt opinion on what is tactful is going to matter much.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

I'm hoping this is the last game tbh, at least for a long time, sakurai needs to do something else, his talents are being wasted tbh. And we still need that uprising sequel damnit!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Who says Rex would be in to promote anything?

Hell if being old is a problem, Elma is going to 3+ years old by the time Smash Switch releases.

Congrats, you're the only Daruk fan. . . TBH when I saw someone voted Daruk I assumed it was you :laugh:
Yeah I get that and all but DLC is usually reserved for promotional characters, veterans, and third parties. With a few special exceptions here and there. (:4bayonetta:)

Of course the trends of Smash 4 DLC could be broken (no :4cloud:intended) but that's what i'm going by. If Rex/Pyra aren't particularly popular characters, I don't see why Sakurai would add them then. No offense to supporters of those characters of course. I think they could bring an interesting niche to the roster even though i'd take Elma over them.

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
I think including the Champions in any existing character's moveset would be a bad idea. They're so directly tied to BotW that it'd be nearly impossible to work around them in the next Smash game, assuming Sakurai uses a different Link and Zelda. They'd likely be replaced in a heartbeat.
I mean Zelda kept the OoT spells despite the multiple new Zelda games that released after Melee. If the Champions remain as popular as they are right now, they may stick around for one or two Smash games.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think we get a similar sized amount of DLC for this Smash iteration unless Nintendo pushes Sakurai to continue DLC in to 2020. If that were the case the number would be like 10-12 characters.

I'd rather have a New LA stage personally, A mira stage covering all 5 regions would be the best but that's a little ambitious, and primordia is boring although the dinosaurs are cool

It was alright, but not even close to X which isn't even close to the original imo
I dont want a travelling stage. I just want somewhere on Mira. It's my favorite locale in gaming. Noctilum would be my preference but Primorida or Oblivia would be cool too. Normally I would love NLA since we need more city levels but that would mean having to deal with the NLA theme :p

Yeah I get that and all but DLC is usually reserved for promotional characters, veterans, and third parties. With a few special exceptions here and there. (:4bayonetta:)

Of course the trends of Smash 4 DLC could be broken (no :4cloud:intended) but that's what i'm going by. If Rex/Pyra aren't particularly popular characters, I don't see why Sakurai would add them then. No offense to supporters of those characters of course. I think they could bring an interesting niche to the roster even though i'd take Elma over them.
I mean you mention the fact the trend can be broken but it seems like a pretty big jump to assume that only 1st party newcomers will be promotional based on. . .one singular example.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Melee
  • Mario: 5 (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Dr. Mario)
  • Pokémon: 4 (Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pichu, Mewtwo)
  • Zelda: technically 4, but actually 5 despite Sheik not appearing on the select screen (Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Young Link)
Brawl
  • Mario: 4 (same as Melee minus Dr. Mario)
  • Pokémon: 4, or 6 if you count all of the Pokémon Trainer's Pokémon (Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokémon Trainer, Lucario)
  • Zelda: 5 (same as Melee with Toon Link replacing Young Link)
Sm4sh
  • Mario: 7, or 14 if you count all of the Koopalings even though they're just alt. costumes (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Dr. Mario, Rosalina & Luma, Bowser Jr.)
  • Pokémon: 6 (Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Lucario, Mewtwo, Greninja)
  • Zelda: 5 (same as Brawl)
So you're JPW, m8.
You intentionally left out the part where I said "not counting transformations and DLC", m8. Kind of dishonest. The transformations count as separate characters. But, they don't count as separate fighters.

So if you took that into consideration like I said.
Melee
  • Mario 5
  • Zelda 4
  • Pokemon 4
Brawl
  • Mario 4
  • Zelda 4
  • Pokemon 4
Smash 5 (minus DLC, which I made very clear to specify in my post)
  • Mario 6
  • Zelda 5
  • Pokemon 5

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I mean you mention the fact the trend can be broken but it seems like a pretty big jump to assume that only 1st party newcomers will be promotional based on. . .one singular example.
That's true and all but I don't think it's a coincidence the end result of DLC was what it was. Just how I see it. I suppose it's a case of "we'll see what happens".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom