• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I personally think we will not get a Zelda character.

Maybe something boring like Toon Zelda or Tingle, but all the other character options have flaws IMO.

I definitely do not expect a champion.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
They all have magic related to an element, many liberties can be taken with that.

Mipha has a spear, Urbosa has a sword and shield, Daruk has a big stone club and Revali has a bow.

The one Champion who has little chance if people think Decideueye is such a shoe in is Revali. Two bird archers? A shame because Revali is pretty popular.

Not surprised to be :4greninja:'d but my Revali point is important.
Is revali popular? I've always hated him, he was annoying as hell lmao

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I personally think we will not get a Zelda character.

Maybe something boring like Toon Zelda or Tingle, but all the other character options have flaws IMO.

I definitely do not expect a champion.
Most of them have flaws TBH. But I can understand why people would want them, Zelda is one big beloved franchise.

Also it's been a hot minute since last time your avatar wasn't the Dee. I was taken aback for a second XD

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Is revali popular? I've always hated him, he was annoying as hell lmao
Well compared to Daruk XD.

I swear we are going to get Daruk and everyone will be dissapointed. I love gorons, but he was one of the least inspiring characters in BOTW, and there were some real one notes there.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

I swear we are going to get Daruk and everyone will be dissapointed. I love gorons, but he was one of the least inspiring characters in BOTW, and there were some real one notes there.
I want him just for the fact that he's a goron, goron's are too important in this series not to have a playable one. He was the 3rd worst champion tho lmao. Urbosa and Mipha are better for sureeeee

Jubileus57

Smash Ace

Gorons as a whole are underwhelmingly simplistic compared to the others. Gerudos, Ritos and Zoras all are exquisitely detailed and visually pleasing while gorons are bland rocks.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I want him just for the fact that he's a goron, goron's are too important in this series not to have a playable one. He was the 3rd worst champion tho lmao. Urbosa and Mipha are better for sureeeee
Every character I want has someone on line in front of them. Gerudos and Sword weilders are already represented. Mimikyu is less likely than Decideueye. Twintelle doesn't stand a chance when Springman barely does. I can't win :(

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Damn I knew Link had some good outfits but damn I didn't think there would be so many "good" ones.

(y'all don't mind me imma go be pan over here.)

*ahem* anyway.
So I haven't actually played much BotW (Just the first beast) but i've realized I've ever actually asked about the champions or what they could do. From what little I have Mipha could use a spear I guess but that's all I have.

Basically, im asking what the **** I can expect if we get a champion.
(no spoilers if possible. Im more than willing to be in the dark about the champions moves if it actually spoils story stuff lol)
rooting for Sidon TBH
:061:
Mipha - Superb spear fighter who fights with the Lightscale Trident. She's an excellent swimmer by nature and has special healing powers.

Revali - Experienced (yet arrogant) archer who fights with the Great Eaglebow. Quite excellent at flying and has perfected an ability to manipulate the wind and create his own powerful updraft.

Daruk - A heavy guy who carries a massive sledgehammer known as the Boulder Breaker. Has the power to summon an impenetrable barrier that covers his entire body.

Urbosa - An agile swordfighter who uses her Scimitar of the Seven and her shield, the Daybreaker, to fight against foes. She has the power to manipulate lighting.

If you want to know where they stand in terms of popularity, it's probably along the lines of...

Mipha>Urbosa>Revali>Daruk

Surprisingly, Japan does not hate Revali as much as you think.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Ravioli is my favorite champion.

Most of them have flaws TBH. But I can understand why people would want them, Zelda is one big beloved franchise.

Also it's been a hot minute since last time your avatar wasn't the Dee. I was taken aback for a second XD
I forgot Tetra, but well, she is Toon Zelda.

Lol, sometimes I use selfies as avatars or just random things with Bandana Dee's bandana photoshopped.

Sorry if my avatar is uncomfortable haha.
Maybe I should change it lol.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Every character I want has someone on line in front of them. Gerudos and Sword weilders are already represented. Mimikyu is less likely than Decideueye. Twintelle doesn't stand a chance when Springman barely does. I can't win :(
Not an ARMS player but I think that since Twintelle seems very popular (from what I gathered) she might have a shot even if its DLC.

It's when you stop hoping that things happen XD That's what happened to me with Bayonetta: I've been rooting for her since even before the initial reveal (I first though Mega-Man's trailer was for Bayo, because of the moon XD), and the very moment I gave up hope (when Sakurai annoucend that the next would be the very last character), guess who was introduced?

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Honestly if any race deserves it the most, it would be the Zoras since they have been there since the first game, but I disgress Gorons are awesome too! My own personal pick for champion is between Urbosa and Mipha while leaning towards the former as she is my fave of the 4.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Twintelle deserves tho, the best arms character. Springman is bland as hell compared to the rest lol.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace

Lol, sometimes I use selfies as avatars or just random things with Bandana Dee's bandana photoshopped.

Its not uncomfortable by any means, its just I haven't seen you in anything than Bandana Dee since the beginning of the last Smash speculation. It is merely surprising xD Since I was pretty much absent between the two games I missed a lot.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
The problem with fighting games is the mascot will usually be the least interesting character. Is anybody’s favorite Street Fighter character Ryu?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

No... no that avatar is completely fine... ;);)

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Not an ARMS player but I think that since Twintelle seems very popular (from what I gathered) she might have a shot even if its DLC.

It's when you stop hoping that things happen XD That's what happened to me with Bayonetta: I've been rooting for her since even before the initial reveal (I first though Mega-Man's trailer was for Bayo, because of the moon XD), and the very moment I gave up hope (when Sakurai annoucend that the next would be the very last character), guess who was introduced?
My only line of hope is Spring Man gets into base and Twintelle gets into Dlc because of fan demand. But according to your history maybe I should start giving up XD.

Also reffering to the previous Xenoblade discussion, I literally don't care what Xenoblade character gets in, but if 2 doesn't get represented what chance does Arms have? So I'm very biased lol.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Let’s just go all out and have one rep per 3D Zelda
Darunia, Skull Kid, Medli/Makar, Midna, Fi, and Sidon
You get the added bonus of representing all the races
Not that this would ever happen

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The problem with fighting games is the mascot will usually be the least interesting character. Is anybody’s favorite Street Fighter character Ryu?
Oh, I'm sure some has him as his favorite. He's not mine, but it doesn't help he's honestly a very boring character overall. He still is fine on his own merits, but I blame the Cartoon and Movie for that. It's the thing that kept me from finding him beyond boring otherwise.

I like Akuma and Vega the most myself, but overall, Street Fighter still has a great cast of fun characters. Even if the protagonist has little personality, that's not a problem as long as they're fun to play as. Having tons of personality just makes it even better.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
My only line of hope is Spring Man gets into base and Twintelle gets into Dlc because of fan demand. But according to your history maybe I should start giving up XD.

Also reffering to the previous Xenoblade discussion, I literally don't care what Xenoblade character gets in, but if 2 doesn't get represented what chance does Arms have? So I'm very biased lol.
I mean arms came out like 6 months before Xenoblade 2 so the chance seems higher...not that much higher tho lol

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I mean arms came out like 6 months before Xenoblade 2 so the chance seems higher...not that much higher tho lol
I'll admit to not being up on everything speculation but from what I understand 2 had a development period of like 3-4 years and Arms was barely 2, most of which didn't even have solid character concept. Plus being a new IP...

Which is why I push for hoping this Smash tries to represent current Nintendo! Don't wanna wait till smash 6...

So every character has a weapon, an element, and a spell. Alright sounds cool. I think I can get behind that if any are added.

Annnnnd to stir up the pot two polls just for funsies
https://www.strawpoll.me/15518121
Favorite champion.

And which people think will be in
https://www.strawpoll.me/15518132
I allowed multiple votes for this one. For the sake of my sanity, only do it if you think 2 will be playable. If you think only one champion will be playable only pick one :p

StormC

Smash Hero
I'll admit to not being up on everything speculation but from what I understand 2 had a development period of like 3-4 years and Arms was barely 2, most of which didn't even have solid character concept. Plus being a new IP...

Which is why I push for hoping this Smash tries to represent current Nintendo! Don't wanna wait till smash 6...
Part of me feels this game would have been better served waiting at least another year. It could come out in the 20th anniversary of Smash 64 and there would be a lot more to work with. The game was probably fast tracked as an attempt to build momentum for the NX due to the Wii U failing.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I mean, Chandeelure Chandeelure showed his new half naked selfie avatar right after a convergence of half a dozen gay guys happily gawked on Link's body for several dozens of posts. I'm sure he knew his shiny new avatar would be more than appreciated xD
Wow, he really played us like that I'm- Although he suddenly makes me want the dee a lil more if you catch my drift...

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Let’s just go all out and have one rep per 3D Zelda
Darunia, Skull Kid, Medli/Makar, Midna, Fi, and Sidon
You get the added bonus of representing all the races
Not that this would ever happen
"You get the added bonus of representing all the races"

Excuse you, I don't see any Deku Scrub representation in there.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
See, this is why I was against a new Smash game coming out so soon. ARMS and XC2 have no guarantee to be heavily represented in the game, and it's (probably) even worse when it comes to Fire Emblem, Pokémon and MP4... In terms of content, the Switch library has outdone most of the 3DS and Wii U games and I'd have loved that it florishes another year or two in order to have way more "fresh" stuff in Smash 5.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
And which people think will be in
https://www.strawpoll.me/15518132
I allowed multiple votes for this one. For the sake of my sanity, only do it if you think 2 will be playable. If you think only one champion will be playable only pick one :p
Clicked Mipha and vote before I saw none. Oh well. I do think she is somewhat likely.

Wow, he really played us like that I'm- Although he suddenly makes me want the dee a lil more if you catch my drift...
And I am DONE ✌

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
No... no that avatar is completely fine... ;);)
Oh...

Support Bandana Dee or I will change it.

>: c

No, but seriously guys, if you have a problem, I will change it haha.

I mean, Chandeelure Chandeelure showed his new half naked selfie avatar right after a convergence of half a dozen gay guys happily gawked on Link's body for several dozens of posts. I'm sure he knew his shiny new avatar would be more than appreciated xD
When you say it like that, it sounds deerty.

I actually changed it in the morning haha.

But yeah, thanks lol.

Means a lot.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
See, this is why I was against a new Smash game coming out so soon. ARMS and XC2 have no guarantee to be heavily represented in the game, and it's (probably) even worse when it comes to Fire Emblem, Pokémon and MP4... In terms of content, the Switch library has outdone most of the 3DS and Wii U games and I'd have loved that it florishes another year or two in order to have way more "fresh" stuff in Smash 5.
DLC can happen tho, rex and XC2 stage, Springman and an arms stage, sylux and a MP4 stage. they can just keep going as games release if they wanted to

And I am DONE ✌
my thirsty ass stays doing the most lmao

Oh...

Support Bandana Dee or I will change it.

>: c

No, but seriously guys, if you have a problem, I will change it haha.
I already do sis damn, no but fr I for one do not have an issue whatsoever lol

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
DLC can happen tho, rex and XC2 stage, Springman and an arms stage, sylux and a MP4 stage. they can just keep going as games release if they wanted to

my thirsty *** stays doing the most lmao

I already do sis damn, no but fr I for one do not have an issue whatsoever lol
The less DLC the better.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Super late by this point, but please remember to not stray too far off topic in this thread. It's not a Social, and half the posts acting like it is would be infracted by now if I weren't posting this as a reminder. (Odds are if you have to ask if that includes your post, it probably means yes/you know who you are).

Anyway, as far as any sort of "hierarchy" for Zelda series goes. I view it as this.

• Main cast/Triforce wielders (all currently playable characters as of Brawl, variations/incarnations of Link/Zelda/Ganon, most notably missing are Tetra/"Toon Zelda")
  • Spin-off/alternate subseries mascots (Tingle and I suppose different variations of Link outside of the current playable 2 would fall here)
  • Reoccurring/reincarnated characters (Tingle, Impa, Vaati, Skull Kid/Wolf Link/Fi on technicalities, the forms/vassals of the goddesses Din/Farore/Nayru, and minor side NPCs such as Beedle/generic enemy and boss species)
  • One offs/single game/subseries "represenatives" (Sheik, servants of Ganon (everyone from Agahnim to Yuga, most notably Ghirahim), Skull Kid, the sages and other prominent characters from OoT/MM/WW, Midna, Fi (spirit form), the Champions/successors from BotW (the former being more likely due to their roles/abilities), various iterations of King Hyrule (most prominent being the King of Red Lions from WW), ALBW characters (Ravio/Hilda), and of course the Hyrule Warriors OCs (Lana/Linkle being the most prominent).
I genuinely don't expect Sakurai think in terms of "Representatives/representation" when it comes to the Zelda series, given we saw a disproportionate amount of items/assist trophies/songs from various Zelda games in lieu of a brand new character in Smash 4.

I'm with the "please revamp everyone to not be TP Zelda + Toon Link" crowd on this in that I'd prefer that over any obligatory flavor of the game addition. The Champions could easily be represented in similar ways as all the other characters in Brawl/Smash 4 (on top of potentially being part of Link/Zelda's movesets via Champion Powers).

If I had to pick, I'd say Tingle/Impa/Toon Zelda would be great newcomer choices in their own right that I would take over any one-offs not counting Sheik returning (I wasn't a fan before Smash 4, but now each of them and even other side characters intrigue me as to how they'd be portrayed creatively in a game post-Hyrule Warriors, Sheik in Smash herself being a good example of what Sakurai can pull out of his figurative ass).

damn and I thought I was thirsty
You know I do :p Most wanted newcomer here now that my dear Bayo is in
. . .is this because of the avatar or unrelated. :p

RE: ARMS
Spring Man is the logical choice. No reason not to use the mascot/main character/what have you. Anyone else would be like having Ken over Ryu or something. But as for wants, I would prefer Max Brass or Twintelle. Max Brass was my favorite figher and Twintelle is just cool. Even if I such playing as her and against her. . .Im sure her popularity won't wane at the very least. But, I still like Spring Man a lot and wouldn't complain about him

RE: DLC
Man Smash For DLC was the best. Ryu, Cloud, Roy, Lucas, Mewtwo. . . that **** was great. My favorite movesets were all definitely in DLC. That doesn't mean it would happen again but the way I see it DLC is going to be good to me again if characters like Rex or Spring man were pushed back to that point lol. And like it or not we're getting DLC. Sakurai enjoyed it and it probably sold like crazy :p

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I think it is very exciting that we will probably get DLC again, and maybe more than last time.

Makes the speculation period longer and helps some characters's chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom