• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Potentially big news:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Is it a negotiation or something else?
I really hope the next reveal is a Pokemon one. Really want to know who'll get in for Sun and Moon. Thankfully I'm cheering for either Mimikyu or Decideueye and both are likely :D.

Anyway is there any credit to this person???

Cynthwave

Smash Rookie
I feel like characters like Shovel Knight and Bandana Dee seem appealing because they use different weapon types, but I feel those weapon types would end up not being that different from swordies. I guess I just need to be better convinced on those characters.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Potentially big news:

Hmmm, I've been following the Japanese Riddler for a while since his rumors have been shared over at Bulbapedia, but I'm not sure I believe him yet. He hasn't done anything to prove his legitimacy currently (the rumors he's given are still unverified, and some may very well be false depending on how things pan out), and I don't know for sure if he would have access to the information that he's saying right now. He could know something, but I wouldn't count on it just yet until we get more information on Pokémon Switch.

With that said, I could see this leading into a reveal trailer.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Tatanga struggling as the replacement for Toad?
Ironically this one would fit Daisy a lot more than Peach shoving her beloved citizens in front of her as a meat shield or Rosalina throwing one of her 'children' into harms way.

I actually hope when Daisy and Waluigi get in they get in together as sporty semi clones. Daisy would have the base sports set with a few flowery specials thrown in, and Waluigi would have a corrupted version of her abilities with an emphasis on cheating and foul play.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Hey everybody, did you know certain characters were foreshadowed before they even become playable?

Here's a list of them

:4peach:- Peach's Castle in Smash 64
:4dedede:- trophy in Melee + in background of N64 dreamland.
:4charizard: - Pokeball Pokemon in Smash 64 and Melee.

:4ganondorf: - 1 part of the Melee reveal at E3 showing his arm
:4metaknight: - trophy in Melee.
:4pit: - look above.
:4zss:(Technically) - look above.
:4wario2:- look above.
:4diddy:- mentioned in the description of Dixie Kong's trophy and the DK Rap remix in Melee.
:4olimar: - trophy in Melee.
:4duckhunt:- look above.
:squirtle:- trophy in Melee + was in the Pokefloats stage in Melee.
:wolf:- also in 1 part of the Melee reveal at E3, with him being in his Wolfen

:4rob:- in one of Brawl’s screenshots before anyone knew he’d be in the game. (the R.O.B. statue in Port Town + enemies in SSE)
:4villager:- trophy in Brawl + background of Smashville.
:4littlemac:- Assist Trophy in Brawl + his AT reveal mentioned him being resurrected.
:4palutena:- trophy in Brawl + part of Pit's old final smash + her Super Bash Sisters refrence in KI: Uprising.
:4bowserjr:- trophy in Brawl + a rock in Mega Man's trailer looked like Bowser Jr. (which it kinda did).
:4mewtwo:-trophy in Brawl and Pre-DLC Smash 4.

:4pacman:- one of the clouds in Greninja's trailer shaping like him.
:4darkpit:- in one of the trailers + Palutena’s cutscene.
:4lucas:- trophy in Pre-DLC Smash 4.
:substitute: (Inkling) - trophy in SSB4.

so what newcomers (beside Inkling) and cut veterans could possibly foreshadowed in SSB5?

Viridi - Mii Costume, Has her own stage, Is heavily featured in Palutena's Guidance conversations
Waluigi - Assist Trophy twice and Mii Costume
King K. Rool - Mii costume
Lyn - Assist trophy twice
Wonder Red - Trophy
Takamaru - Assist trophy, music from game in stage
Isabelle - Assist Trophy and mii costume
Ashley - Assist trophy, her song has been featured twice in smash, mii costume
Dillon - Assist trophy

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I don't know exactly why...
But I still think that if we ever get Sora, we will get Mickey too.
Or even just Mickey. I know how this is stupid, but man... the world has spoken to me: There will be Mickey or no Sora.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hey everybody, did you know certain characters were foreshadowed before they even become playable?

Here's a list of them

:4peach:- Peach's Castle in Smash 64
:4dedede:- trophy in Melee + in background of N64 dreamland.
:4charizard: - Pokeball Pokemon in Smash 64 and Melee.

:4ganondorf: - 1 part of the Melee reveal at E3 showing his arm
:4metaknight: - trophy in Melee.
:4pit: - look above.
:4zss:(Technically) - look above.
:4wario2:- look above.
:4diddy:- mentioned in the description of Dixie Kong's trophy and the DK Rap remix in Melee.
:4olimar: - trophy in Melee.
:4duckhunt:- look above.
:squirtle:- trophy in Melee + was in the Pokefloats stage in Melee.
:wolf:- also in 1 part of the Melee reveal at E3, with him being in his Wolfen

:4rob:- in one of Brawl’s screenshots before anyone knew he’d be in the game. (the R.O.B. statue in Port Town + enemies in SSE)
:4villager:- trophy in Brawl + background of Smashville.
:4littlemac:- Assist Trophy in Brawl + his AT reveal mentioned him being resurrected.
:4palutena:- trophy in Brawl + part of Pit's old final smash + her Super Bash Sisters refrence in KI: Uprising.
:4bowserjr:- trophy in Brawl + a rock in Mega Man's trailer looked like Bowser Jr. (which it kinda did).
:4mewtwo:-trophy in Brawl and Pre-DLC Smash 4.

:4pacman:- one of the clouds in Greninja's trailer shaping like him.
:4darkpit:- in one of the trailers + Palutena’s cutscene.
:4lucas:- trophy in Pre-DLC Smash 4.
:substitute: (Inkling) - trophy in SSB4.

so what newcomers (beside Inkling) and cut veterans could possibly foreshadowed in SSB5?
I see what you did there with Pac-Man and the trophy 'foreshadows'.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
You know, you could get a pretty awesome and varied group of newcomers if you just promoted assist trophies to playable.

Isaac
Lyn
Ray Mk. III
Saki
Samurai Goroh
Starfy
Tingle
Waluigi
Ashley
Dark Samus
Dillon
Ghirahim
Isabelle
Midna
Skull Kid
Takamaru

With the exception of Goroh and Tingle (who even then I don't really mind), I'd be super okay with all these characters becoming the next Little Mac.

Speaking of, who do you think from SM4SH's AT's is most likely to become the next Little Mac and make the transition?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
You know, you could get a pretty awesome and varied group of newcomers if you just promoted assist trophies to playable.

Isaac
Lyn
Ray Mk. III
Saki
Samurai Goroh
Starfy
Tingle
Waluigi
Ashley
Dark Samus
Dillon
Ghirahim
Isabelle
Midna
Skull Kid
Takamaru

With the exception of Goroh and Tingle (who even then I don't really mind), I'd be super okay with all these characters becoming the next Little Mac.

Speaking of, who do you think from SM4SH's AT's is most likely to become the next Little Mac and make the transition?
Isabelle. Massive popularity with the masses, promoted everywhere, she's in Mario Kart of all things(and alongside Villager has paved the way for Super Smash Kart with Link and the Inklings following her) and she sells.

Isaac and Dillon would be great for Smashboards and despite wanting both of them I'm for some reason not seeing it...;;

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Isaac
Lyn
Ray Mk. III
Saki
Samurai Goroh
Starfy
Tingle
Waluigi
Ashley
Dark Samus
Dillon
Ghirahim
Isabelle
Midna
Skull Kid
Takamaru

Isabelle, Dillon, and Takamaru I feel have the best chances of the bunch to get promoted. Isabelle boomed in popularity and promotion, Dillon's franchise is still ongoing and has a popular design, and Takamaru got his game released in the west via VC. Lyn is also possible, but unlike the other three her franchise is less welcoming to older lords being introduced into Smash and the list proving her popularity may've come too late.

If I had to place a bet on one, I'd definitely say Isabelle, but the other two do have a fair chance themselves.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master

Isaac
Lyn
Ray Mk. III
Saki
Samurai Goroh
Starfy
Tingle
Waluigi
Ashley
Dark Samus
Dillon
Ghirahim
Isabelle
Midna
Skull Kid
Takamaru

Takamaru and Isabelle are the only AT characters that I find more likely than not to be promoted.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

Isaac
Lyn
Ray Mk. III
Saki
Samurai Goroh
Starfy
Tingle
Waluigi
Ashley
Dark Samus
Dillon
Ghirahim
Isabelle
Midna
Skull Kid
Takamaru

I'd say Isabelle, Waluigi, Takamaru or Lyn. Maybe Tingle as well.

Dillon would be cool imo but will probably stay as an assist trophy.

Edgelord_197

Smash Cadet
I think Ashley and Walugi have a chance of coming in as newcomers. Don’t know about the rest

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Isaac
Lyn
Ray Mk. III
Saki
Samurai Goroh
Starfy
Tingle
Waluigi
Ashley
Dark Samus
Dillon
Ghirahim
Isabelle
Midna
Skull Kid
Takamaru

My top 5 choices would be:
1. Ashley
2. Isaac
3. Lyn
4. Midna
5. Takamaru

MrReyes96

Smash Ace

Isaac
Lyn
Ray Mk. III
Saki
Samurai Goroh
Starfy
Tingle
Waluigi
Ashley
Dark Samus
Dillon
Ghirahim
Isabelle
Midna
Skull Kid
Takamaru

Viridi isn't listed and I think she's more likely than people think.
Other than that though
Lyn, Waluigi, Tingle, Ashley, Dark Samus, Dillon, Isabelle, Midna, Takamaru are ones I could see get promoted
Most likely is Lyn, Isabelle, and Takamaru imo

Edit: Also Isaac got demoted so I don't think that makes his chances any better

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
Another idea I had was unique team victory animations. When two certain characters win together in a team battle they don't use their separate victory animations but they use a victory animation designed for winning a team battle. These can be done for both canon relationships (like Mario and Peach or Link and Zelda) or relationships established in the SSE and/or a possible story mode in this game (like Pikachu and Samus or LInk and Pit).

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Isaac
Lyn
Ray Mk. III
Saki
Samurai Goroh
Starfy
Tingle
Waluigi
Ashley
Dark Samus
Dillon
Ghirahim
Isabelle
Midna
Skull Kid
Takamaru

The only ones I really see are Isabelle and Takamaru. Isaac would be dope but he's irrelevant.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
Hoping we don't get any cut characters between smash 4 and 5. i absolutely HATE seeing characters cut out. well.. except for pichu. i don't think i will lose sleep over a pikachu that hurts itself.

as for newcomers... inkling is pretty much there, so that's one highly-requested character out of the way.
personally, I'm predicting a new DK rep, either dixie kong or K. rool. or both, ya never know. maybe a new mario rep (either waluigi, daisy, or toad... toad believe it or not is my most wanted mario newcomer to complete the quartet of mario, luigi, peach, and toad from smb2. would be a great time to introduce melees mushroom kingdom 2 stage)
zelda characters... personally, I'd like to see a newcomer, or heck, re-invent ganondorf to be less like captain falcon.
for kirby reps, i'd want to say bandana dee... but... marx might also be a canidate thanks to star allies. maybe, even as a surprise, galacta knight?
for pokemon... it is GOING to be something from either gen 7 or 8... depending on how close it is when smash 5 launches... probably a starter. hoping a grass starter. as i said before though i'm hoping no cuts are made to pokemon, specially because of the outcry of mewtwo fans (myself included)
and, as per usual with smash, there is GOING to be an nes-era character that comes right the hell out of left field. mr game and watch and ice climbers were in melee, pit and rob were in brawl, and smash 4 gave us duck hunt. smash 5 i'm going to predict the balloon fighter and takamaru.
also ice climbers will return.

as for stages. i'm going to predict returning stages:
64: hyrule castle, peaches castle, kongo jungle, dreamland, and saffron city.
melee: temple, onette, yoshi's island (melee), brinestar, big blue, and corneria.
brawl: port town aero dive, castle siege, lylat cruise, great sea, pokemon stadium 2, battleship halberd, delfino plaza, bridge of eldin, and sky world, pitcochat, mario bros, and 75m.
smash 4 (both systems): duck hunt, colloseum, pryosphere, unova pokemon league, palutenas temple, mario galaxy, pilotwings, great cave offensive, wii fit stage,

all i could think of. probably more, probably less.

D

Deleted member

Takamaru without a doubt.
He was actually said to have been considered for a playable appearance before with just a lack of overall popularity preventing him.

His role as an Assist (and later, his DLC Mii Costume) could have been a way to increase popularity for the future.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Dillon would be cool imo but will probably stay as an assist trophy.
You take that back right now mister. :p

Viridi isn't listed and I think she's more likely than people think.

Edit: Also Isaac got demoted so I don't think that makes his chances any better
Viridi isn't an AT, though, which is why she wasn't mentioned. Magnus and Phosphora are, but neither of them have great chances compared to Viridi/Medusa/Hades.

Part of me wants to believe that Isaac was originally planned to be playable like Little Mac which is why he's missing, but something couldn't/didn't work out and he was just never put back in as an AT again. It's the only thing giving me some belief that he could see the light of day this time around, assuming Sakurai included characters that couldn't work out this last time like the Icies and the Chorus Kids.

EDIT:

Takamaru without a doubt.
He was actually said to have been considered for a playable appearance before with just a lack of overall popularity preventing him.

His role as an Assist (and later, his DLC Mii Costume) could have been a way to increase popularity for the future.
I still remember the pre-release days when everybody was expecting Little Mac and Takamaru (egged on by a fake leak IIRC) to represent a "West vs. East" 'rivalry'.

Personally, I'd prefer that concept go to Mike Jones and Takamaru as they're both exclusive to one region.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Potentially big news:

8th gen

8th gen

8th GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!!!1111!!!

told ya so nerds :p

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm still a bit surprised Isaac didn't even return as an AT or even gotten a Mii Costume when most of Brawl's AT returned.

Last edited:

Isaac
Lyn
Ray Mk. III
Saki
Samurai Goroh
Starfy
Tingle
Waluigi
Ashley
Dark Samus
Dillon
Ghirahim
Isabelle
Midna
Skull Kid
Takamaru

Takamaru, Waluigi, and Isabelle are the only ones with a chance TBH.

And frankly all 3 are at the very least going to be considered for playable appearances. I dont think we'll get all 3, but I wouldnt be surprised by Takamaru and Isabelle BOTH getting an upgrade
:061:

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm still a bit surprised Isaac didn't even return as an AT or even gotten a Mii Costume when most of Brawl's AT returned.
Yeah. There's something fishy about his complete omission. Right? Right?
Isaac is the right answer for AT to fighter upgrade tho.

Though really, Takamaru and Isabelle seem like the best/likely candidates from the current AT lineup to become playable.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

Isaac
Lyn
Ray Mk. III
Saki
Samurai Goroh
Starfy
Tingle
Waluigi
Ashley
Dark Samus
Dillon
Ghirahim
Isabelle
Midna
Skull Kid
Takamaru

Isaac, Dillon, Isabelle, and Takamaru f you ask me how I'd rank them in most likely to get in...

Isabelle, Dillon, Takamaru, Isaac

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Inawordyes Inawordyes

My bad I was thinking of Mii costumes! I agree with you.
I suppose that could be a possibility but that would mean Devil and Jill Dozer were planned to be playable as well

Edit: Wow I messed that post up

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Yeah. There's something fishy about his complete omission. Right? Right?
Isaac is the right answer for AT to fighter upgrade tho.
Maybe they tried making him a fighter for smash 4 but they didn't know about the outcry for him and thus scrapped him?

This just speculation.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'm fully aware that this view could be supported entirely by my personal bias, but I think Ashley is pretty likely to get promoted, considering she got an Assist Trophy AND a Mii Costume. Clearly, Nintendo wants her to be in the spotlight when it comes to WarioWare characters.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
As someone who's a huge fan of Fire Emblem, I am wondering if Sakurai's gonna do anything about the overrrepresentation of that franchise in Smash. When I see rosters for the game it's clear that the abundance of fire emblem characters is kinda jarring. In addition to that, two of those characters are clones of Marth. I can't see Roy being cut as that'd cause fan outrage, so at the most I can see Lucina and Corrin getting cut. But Corring also has an original moveset, so it'd be a shame to see him go.

Knowing Sakurai I don't think anyone's getting cut, and we're getting a new character as well.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
As someone who's a huge fan of Fire Emblem, I am wondering if Sakurai's gonna do anything about the overrrepresentation of that franchise in Smash. When I see rosters for the game it's clear that the abundance of fire emblem characters is kinda jarring. In addition to that, two of those characters are clones of Marth. I can't see Roy being cut as that'd cause fan outrage, so at the most I can see Lucina and Corrin getting cut. But Corring also has an original moveset, so it'd be a shame to see him go.

Knowing Sakurai I don't think anyone's getting cut, and we're getting a new character as well.
Bringing back Roy was a mistake
Lucina is more of a clone but she’s more popular and relevant to the series
I would’ve preferred Lyn over Roy. And I don’t understand why people want Corrin gone as she has a unique moveset.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

I see no reason to cut lucina since she's so popular yet so easy to make, if anything I'd rather they try and declone her even just a little, same goes for Dark pit and Doc. Corrin COULD get axed but it would be a shame to add him only to cut him right after. TBH this game probably started as a port anyway and all the characters are staying.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I see no reason to cut lucina since she's so popular yet so easy to make, if anything I'd rather they try and declone her even just a little, same goes for Dark pit and Doc. Corrin COULD get axed but it would be a shame to add him only to cut him right after. TBH this game probably started as a port anyway and all the characters are staying.
It's still crazy to me that Fire Emblem has as many characters as Pokemon. Again, I love the series, but every time I mention the idea of a FE newcomer to my friends, they get angry saying that it's already overbloated the roster.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I wouldn't be too surprised if Fire Emblem remains as is, the backlash to how heavily represented it ended up being was so huge that even Sakurai acknowledged it in an interview, and with FE Switch coming out too late there's no reason to really force a new character into the game. At the same time I don't think any of the characters warrant getting cut, Corrin has a unique moveset of course, Roy is too popular, while Lucina is too popular AND is one of the franchise's most marketed characters.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767

Isaac
Lyn
Ray Mk. III
Saki
Samurai Goroh
Starfy
Tingle
Waluigi
Ashley
Dark Samus
Dillon
Ghirahim
Isabelle
Midna
Skull Kid
Takamaru

Issac - Hasn't had a new game in years. I don't see it happening.

Lyn - Very weird case. On one hand, there was that popularity poll that showed her as the most popular female character. But the problem is that was held in 2017, and before then IS had no idea she was that popular. I think she might not appear as an assit trophy and she might be at least considered for dlc.

Ray Mk II - I don't think he has had a new game?

Saki - Also no new game

Samurai Goroh - also no new game

Starfy - no new game

Tingle - I mean maybe? There has certainly been things starring him in recent years, but I think his anti-popularity kinda kills his chances.

Waluigi - Another weird case. The issue I havve had with Waluigi's potential chances is that he hasn't had any major developments for him. He has been the same spin off character. And I don't think his popularity has changed much either. So it is entirely up to sakurai if he thinks the time is right.

Ashley - Ashey is actually very interesting. While it is true that there hasn't been a new warioware game, that doesn't mean she hasn't made an appearence at all after Game & Wario. There 2 notable things to talk about.

First, she had two appearances in Rhythm heaven megamix. One as a small cameo, and one as a "playable" in a reskin version of tap trial.

The second is even more interesting though. The nintendo badge arcade. She was a part of a trio of characters that got pushed really hard in the nintendo badge arcade. The trio being Ashley, Nikki, and Isabelle. And when I say pushed I mean pushed. I'm talking badges with cross overs even. There was a Splatoon Ashley, a lengend of zelda ashley, a Yo-kai watch Ashley, a Monster hunter ashley, etc. They even made an april fools joke when they announced a fake game that starred Ashley. All of these are ultimate small games though. So it would be up to Sakurai if he considers these important.

Dark Samus - Have no idea

Dillion - I think my main potential issue is that his releases never seem to be a big deal. I guess it is possible, but I'm not really putting much stock in it.

Ghirahim, Midna, Skull kid - All one shots. Don't really have much to say but they didn't make it in before.

Isabelle- Majorly Pushed. I can defintely see it. She has become the face of animal crossing pretty much and was also heavily pushed in the badge arcade.

Takamaru - A retro rip that had a major development in being brough over to the west.

My top 3 choices on who I think is possible is Isabelle, Takamaru, and Ashley in no particular order. Though I also think Waluigi has a good chance as well. Dillion is possible I guess.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

In a perfect world, it just stays like it is now. Outside of Marth and Ike (who are for sure coming back), Lucina has massive popularity, as does Roy (plus him returning as a vet for DLC and then immediately leaving would probably rub people the wrong way). Robin and Corrin also have too unique movesets that would be missed.

If anyone leaves, I feel it'd be Corrin just because of the mixed reactions to his inclusion or Lucina for being low priority. But I personally don't see it, and I'd hope FE just stays how it is. I feel more people expect a new rep for this franchise anyway rather than actively want one.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I wouldn't be too surprised if Fire Emblem remains as is, the backlash to how heavily represented it ended up being was so huge that even Sakurai acknowledged it in an interview, and with FE Switch coming out too late there's no reason to really force a new character into the game. At the same time I don't think any of the characters warrant getting cut, Corrin has a unique moveset of course, Roy is too popular, while Lucina is too popular AND is one of the franchise's most marketed characters.
Can you link me to the interview where Sakurai talked about Fire Emblem? That'd be interesting to see.

Really I didn't mind the base roster, the problem only rose with DLC

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
It's still crazy to me that Fire Emblem has as many characters as Pokemon. Again, I love the series, but every time I mention the idea of a FE newcomer to my friends, they get angry saying that it's already overbloated the roster.
I mean I guess but I still wouldn't count Lucina as a whole other character and roy is like half a character. Fire Emblem has like 4.6 characters compared to Pokemon's completely unique 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom