• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Can you link me to the interview where Sakurai talked about Fire Emblem? That'd be interesting to see.

Really I didn't mind the base roster, the problem only rose with DLC
http://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

—Corrin marks the sixth Fire Emblem character to appear in Smash.

Sakurai: There are too many Fire Emblem characters! The decision to include Corrin was admittedly strategic, but I genuinely worried we might be adding too many characters from the series. That said, once the FE Fates developers shared their idea with me, I knew I could make Corrin into an interesting fighter.
Actually, it's not so much an acknowledgement of the backlash as it seems like he already thought that it had too many characters even before Corrin's addition. It obviously didn't stop him from adding Corrin in the end, but he's obviously not oblivious to how extreme its representation is.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
You know, you could get a pretty awesome and varied group of newcomers if you just promoted assist trophies to playable.

Isaac
Lyn
Ray Mk. III
Saki
Samurai Goroh
Starfy
Tingle
Waluigi
Ashley
Dark Samus
Dillon
Ghirahim
Isabelle
Midna
Skull Kid
Takamaru

With the exception of Goroh and Tingle (who even then I don't really mind), I'd be super okay with all these characters becoming the next Little Mac.

Speaking of, who do you think from SM4SH's AT's is most likely to become the next Little Mac and make the transition?
You forgot my boy Magnus with his magnum...blade.

Troykv

Smash Master
http://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

Actually, it's not so much an acknowledgement of the backlash as it seems like he already thought that it had too many characters even before Corrin's addition. It obviously didn't stop him from adding Corrin in the end, but he's obviously not oblivious to how extreme its representation is.
Yeah, Sakurai won't just stop putting Fire Emblem... BUT... He'll be more careful selecting the next characters... They really need to stand out to be considered... At least that is my interpretation based in Sakurai's comments.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I think Bowser Jr had decent requesting, but no where near the levels of Megaman and Villager.

A lot of Sm4sh newcomers seemed to be based on unique ideas and gimmicks over popularity in hindsight, and whilst I can see some merit in that, I'll admit there were only a very small handful of Smashers I was excited to see from the fourth installment no matter how unique they were.

I am however eternally grateful we got Robin over the more standard options for FE newcomer even if I avoid playing him due to that slow movement speed and weapon breakage gimmick...
The approach that Smash 4 had to newcomers kinda feels similar to the approach Gen VII had to new Pokemon. If you look at Gen VII's Pokemon, you'll notice that nearly every evolutionary line either has a unique ability or a signature move.

With Smash 4, you'll notice that most newcomers either have uniquely functioning moves, unique gimmicks, or odd movesets. The newcomers of Smash 4 are basically uniquely "Specialized" so to speak. The focus definitely seemed to be adding characters capable of doing new unique, or strange things.

Personally, I loved Smash 4's newcomer list, but I suppose that I can see why some people would prefer other characters.

I'm fully aware that this view could be supported entirely by my personal bias, but I think Ashley is pretty likely to get promoted, considering she got an Assist Trophy AND a Mii Costume. Clearly, Nintendo wants her to be in the spotlight when it comes to WarioWare characters.
Doh. Totally forgot she was an AT. And I even read the damn list. Reading comprehension is hard

Yeah I could see her being added too. She has always been popular and Warioware is a pretty big deal. Definitely a character being slept on.
:061:

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Bringing back Roy was a mistake
Lucina is more of a clone but she’s more popular and relevant to the series
I would’ve preferred Lyn over Roy. And I don’t understand why people want Corrin gone as she has a unique moveset.
I disagree, personally I'm really glad they brought Roy back. Roy is really fun to play in Smash 4. The fact that they gave him more uniqueness really helped make him feel better as a character.

Granted I might be a little biased in regards to Lucina and Roy, since I really love playing as them, but dislike playing as Marth.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I disagree, personally I'm really glad they brought Roy back. Roy is really fun to play in Smash 4. The fact that they gave him more uniqueness really helped make him feel better as a character.

Granted I might be a little biased in regards to Lucina and Roy, since I really love playing as them, but dislike playing as Marth.
I personally prefer Lucina to Roy as a character, but if they could bring back only one, I'd say Roy all the way. Roy may be a clone, but he operates differently, i.e., you can't use the same strategy to fight an opponent as you would Marth. Lucina on the other hand functions just like Marth, save for the tipper, which means my playstyle with her is identical to Marth's.

If Lucina returns I hope they make an effort to make her less of a clone. I'm not really a fan of the near-identical clones we have in Smash 4 with Dark Pit and Lucina, as they're wayyyy too similar to their original characters. Dr. Mario is an example of how to handle clones that lean closer to clone rather than semi-clone territory. At least give her an original move.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Issac - Hasn't had a new game in years. I don't see it happening.

Lyn - Very weird case. On one hand, there was that popularity poll that showed her as the most popular female character. But the problem is that was held in 2017, and before then IS had no idea she was that popular. I think she might not appear as an assit trophy and she might be at least considered for dlc.

Ray Mk II - I don't think he has had a new game?

Saki - Also no new game

Samurai Goroh - also no new game

Starfy - no new game

Tingle - I mean maybe? There has certainly been things starring him in recent years, but I think his anti-popularity kinda kills his chances.

Waluigi - Another weird case. The issue I havve had with Waluigi's potential chances is that he hasn't had any major developments for him. He has been the same spin off character. And I don't think his popularity has changed much either. So it is entirely up to sakurai if he thinks the time is right.

Ashley - Ashey is actually very interesting. While it is true that there hasn't been a new warioware game, that doesn't mean she hasn't made an appearence at all after Game & Wario. There 2 notable things to talk about.

First, she had two appearances in Rhythm heaven megamix. One as a small cameo, and one as a "playable" in a reskin version of tap trial.

The second is even more interesting though. The nintendo badge arcade. She was a part of a trio of characters that got pushed really hard in the nintendo badge arcade. The trio being Ashley, Nikki, and Isabelle. And when I say pushed I mean pushed. I'm talking badges with cross overs even. There was a Splatoon Ashley, a lengend of zelda ashley, a Yo-kai watch Ashley, a Monster hunter ashley, etc. They even made an april fools joke when they announced a fake game that starred Ashley. All of these are ultimate small games though. So it would be up to Sakurai if he considers these important.

Dark Samus - Have no idea

Dillion - I think my main potential issue is that his releases never seem to be a big deal. I guess it is possible, but I'm not really putting much stock in it.

Ghirahim, Midna, Skull kid - All one shots. Don't really have much to say but they didn't make it in before.

Isabelle- Majorly Pushed. I can defintely see it. She has become the face of animal crossing pretty much and was also heavily pushed in the badge arcade.

Takamaru - A retro rip that had a major development in being brough over to the west.

My top 3 choices on who I think is possible is Isabelle, Takamaru, and Ashley in no particular order. Though I also think Waluigi has a good chance as well. Dillion is possible I guess.
Not sure the "no new game" completely offs the chances of a character getting in. Who knows, maybe we will get a surprise revival after an unexpected inclusion in Smash (COUGH Kid Icarus COUGH).
And I need a revival for Starfy.

Last edited:

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
....I didn't know Isaac was an assist trophy in Brawl. Or maybe I did, but I forgot.

D

Deleted member

What backlash? Corrin obviously had no impact on the sales of the game and plenty of people bought him because he was DLC. There was no protests, no attempt to stop people from buying it, nothing. We may have gotten angry about it for like a day but it doesn’t change the fact that most people bought him anyway.

His “concern” over FE representation is just that, PR. If he was worried about it, not even FE Fates developer convincing him that he could be an an interesting fighter would change his mind. But action speaks louder than word and including Corrin shows that he believes Fire Emblem justified six characters so long as a fighter interest him. If he wants another Fire Emblem character, and history shows he will, then he will add more regardless of how we feel. It’s not like there’s going to be a collective sum of people that chooses to boycott the game when we get a a FE15 newcomer, probably Celica.

Prepare for eight Fire Emblem characters; Celica on the base roster and the Fire Emblem Switch Protagonist as DLC. Despite the inevitable disappointment, there will be no backlash and Smash for Switch will still sell 10+ million copies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Sakurai has said that they aren't required to include a Fire Emblem character from the newest game. Also Sakurai already felt the amount of FE characters in the game was too much, and the main reason Corrin got in was because of his unique characteristic of transforming parts of their body and extending it with incredible reach, and I don't think Celica or Alm have the same amount of unique potential.

Maybe the Switch game has a very unique main character, but the game probably came around to late for Sakurai to include a character from it (unless they are a last minute clone, which I doubt). I think we'll just see most if not all of the previous Fire Emblem characters return with a character from the Switch game as potential DLC.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Not sure the "no new game" completely offs the chances of a character getting in. Who knows, maybe we will get a surprise revival after an unexpected inclusion in Smash (COUGH Kid Icarus COUGH).
And I need a revival for Starfy.
Unfortunately the common theme has been that either the character is relevant (as in had a recent release), or it's a retro character from way back in the day, Pit was classified as the latter when he was included in Brawl. I'd really love to see someone who's caught in between get in though, like K. Rool, Isaac, or even Starfy like you brought up.

Last edited:

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Unfortunately the common theme has been that either the character is relevant (as in had a recent release), or it's a retro character from way back in the day, Pit was classified as the latter when he was included in Brawl. I'd really love to see someone who's caught in between to get in though, like K. Rool, Isaac, or even Starfy like you brought up.
I know it's a long shot, but I want to hope. Besides, maybe Nintendo does have a surprise game in the boxes that just waits to be revealed at E3.

Moreover, since almost all the main stars of both the present and very very old franchises have now been in Smash, maybe they'll try to open the gate to the franchises stuck between "very recent" and "very retro". Those would be the most interesting choices IMO

Troykv

Smash Master
What backlash? Corrin obviously had no impact on the sales of the game and plenty of people bought him because he was DLC. There was no protests, no attempt to stop people from buying it, nothing. We may have gotten angry about it for like a day but it doesn’t change the fact that most people bought him anyway.

His “concern” over FE representation is just that, PR. If he was worried about it, not even FE Fates developer convincing him that he could be an an interesting fighter would change his mind. But action speaks louder than word and including Corrin shows that he believes Fire Emblem justified six characters so long as a fighter interest him. If he wants another Fire Emblem character, and history shows he will, then he will add more regardless of how we feel. It’s not like there’s going to be a collective sum of people that chooses to boycott the game when we get a a FE15 newcomer, probably Celica.

Prepare for eight Fire Emblem characters; Celica on the base roster and the Fire Emblem Switch Protagonist as DLC. Despite the inevitable disappointment, there will be no backlash and Smash for Switch will still sell 10+ million copies.
I personally believe Sakurai will be more careful to selecting Fire Emblem Characters, and focusing in getting some interesting traits of them, instead of just filling an "obligatory spot" (unlike Ike and Roy that were essencially lucky cases of characters that appeared because he actually wanted an additional Fire Emblem Character, regardless of who... Oh, and Sakurai was searching a character for the trait "Burly Swordsman" in Ike's case).

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Characters from inactive franchise (unless they're basically from the NES era) are kinda screwed based off Sakurai's multiple statements. Inactive characters from active franchises on the other hand are somewhat better off and can still be considered and wanted by Sakurai. If that wasn't the case, Geno wouldn't have even been considered, let alone wanted by Sakurai.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
As someone who's a huge fan of Fire Emblem, I am wondering if Sakurai's gonna do anything about the overrrepresentation of that franchise in Smash. When I see rosters for the game it's clear that the abundance of fire emblem characters is kinda jarring. In addition to that, two of those characters are clones of Marth. I can't see Roy being cut as that'd cause fan outrage, so at the most I can see Lucina and Corrin getting cut. But Corring also has an original moveset, so it'd be a shame to see him go.

Knowing Sakurai I don't think anyone's getting cut, and we're getting a new character as well.
I'm hoping Lucina gets cut because having four characters who share the same character archetype and all but one having the same hair color is boring as hell and in the context of Smash she has the least personality of the four. Yeah people talk about how popular she is but it doesn't change the fact that for anybody who isn't a big Fire Emblem fan, Lucina is horribly redundant. Besides Chrom and Alm are popular too but I don't exactly hear anybody here suggesting that those two be added as clones.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

His “concern” over FE representation is just that, PR. If he was worried about it, not even FE Fates developer convincing him that he could be an an interesting fighter would change his mind. But action speaks louder than word and including Corrin shows that he believes Fire Emblem justified six characters so long as a fighter interest him. If he wants another Fire Emblem character, and history shows he will, then he will add more regardless of how we feel. It’s not like there’s going to be a collective sum of people that chooses to boycott the game when we get a a FE15 newcomer.

Maybe backlash was a strong word, and like I clarified it wasn't really a response to that either way, it was just the best word I could find to describe the fan reaction given that English isn't my native language.

To say that we're guaranteed two FE newcomers just because that's what happened in Smash 4 is a pretty hasty conclusion to reach though, a new game always shakes things up pretty drastically and brings new norms with it. People who used Brawl logic to predict the Smash 4 roster were horribly wrong, and there's a decent chance that using Smash 4 logic to predict the Smash 5 roster will be just as wrong, god knows what part of the roster we'll be complaining about in a year's time.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
If I was to cut any FE characters, I'd go with Corrin. Shame to lose a unique moveset, but they were the last character added as DLC at the end of the game's support, so there's less attachment in the way of removing them. Plus, it was a bit of a situational "advertisement" addition that doesn't hold up anymore, so I'm not sure Corrin "deserves" to be on the roster anymore.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think it's basically more likely that FE will receive cuts and a newcomer than no newcomer and no cuts in the Smash Switch base roster. Granted, it's not as if a FE newcomer is even a given.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'd be down for all four of those characters. Isabelle will probably end up a clone though, but at the very least she's cute.
I cam see Isabelle as a semi-clone or having her own unique moves. Let's see how E-3 fares before we can jump on the clone/semi-clone stuff

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm still a bit surprised Isaac didn't even return as an AT or even gotten a Mii Costume when most of Brawl's AT returned.
Actually a few AT didn't return. My gal Barbara *points to avatar* didn't get to jam out on the battlefield. But atleast she was a Mii Hat.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'm hoping Lucina gets cut because having four characters who share the same character archetype and all but one having the same hair color is boring as hell and in the context of Smash she has the least personality of the four. Yeah people talk about how popular she is but it doesn't change the fact that for anybody who isn't a big Fire Emblem fan, Lucina is horribly redundant. Besides Chrom and Alm are popular too but I don't exactly hear anybody here suggesting that those two be added as clones.
Four characters? Ike is nothing like Marth, Roy, or Lucina, chargeable neutral special and counter aside.

Realistically I feel like we could see changes made to Lucina and maybe Dark Pit to differentiate the two from Marth and Pit (though I won't lie, I don't really expect for Dark Pit to see much change because he's literally Pit's clone).
This occurred from the transition of Melee to Brawl, and Brawl lacked any true clone fighters so there is no example to pull for it to 3DS / Wii U.

Additionally, while on the topic of clone fighters, we could actually see Alph become his own fighter like they aimed to do near the end of development. I'm not sure if it would be much of a priority though, it seemed to only be planned because he was a costume and they had extra time. Circumstance might not be the same.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
8th gen

8th gen

8th GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!!!1111!!!

told ya so nerds :p
Now hold on a second. This doesn't necessarily mean a Gen VIII Pokemon is what they talked about. It's possible they talked about a Gen VII rep.

It's also possible the conversation never happened.

As someone who's a huge fan of Fire Emblem, I am wondering if Sakurai's gonna do anything about the overrrepresentation of that franchise in Smash. When I see rosters for the game it's clear that the abundance of fire emblem characters is kinda jarring. In addition to that, two of those characters are clones of Marth. I can't see Roy being cut as that'd cause fan outrage, so at the most I can see Lucina and Corrin getting cut. But Corring also has an original moveset, so it'd be a shame to see him go.

Knowing Sakurai I don't think anyone's getting cut, and we're getting a new character as well.
I am expecting a few cuts, but I don't know who those characters could be. As for additions, I feel like that all falls on whether or not FE16 gets representation.

kylexv

Smash Master
We have no idea what this rumor suggests (and even if it is true in the first place). It could be a Gen 7 or Gen 8 Pokemon at this point. Probably Gen 7 but I could be wrong.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
As much as people would argue otherwise, even getting a second Xenoblade character isn't a given. For all we know, Sakurai might just be fine with just having Shulk.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Unfortunately the common theme has been that either the character is relevant (as in had a recent release), or it's a retro character from way back in the day, Pit was classified as the latter when he was included in Brawl. I'd really love to see someone who's caught in between to get in though, like K. Rool, Isaac, or even Starfy like you brought up.
Although a lot of us like to complain about the tribalism of Smash character fan bases, speculation for this game has been based a lot more on logos and ethos rather than the pathos of pre-Brawl and pre-Smash 4 and the move to accept recency as the primary criteria for selecting characters has played the biggest role in that, especially since we got Bayonetta as the Ballot character who like K. Rool, Isaac, Banjo, and others had a recent Wii U appearance. Since it's clear that what we say now won't affect the base roster and that Sakurai rejected one of the most popular Nintendo request in Ridley, the shift in the character scene switched from the pathos-influenced "Let's get our favorite characters in!" to the logos and ethos-influenced "Based on who has appeared recently or who hasn't appeared since the Famicom/NES, who is the most likely?" After this game, especially if there's no ballot character outside the Inklings - who would have gotten in regardless - I don't think character advocacy will be much of a thing anymore and this will result in a significant decline in how many people decides to talk and speculate about prospective characters. Think about it, if all we can get for newcomers in future installments are characters from recent games, why bother supporting your long since dead favorite character? I know I wouldn't be here if there weren't several newcomers I wanted that I thought had a shot.

That tangent aside, I would say that King K. Rool and possibly Geno and Banjo are in an unique position among "characters without a future" if only because they are heavily requested, the former two were noted as popular requests and the latter is not only obviously one of the most wanted, but said inclusion would also be consequential towards the video game industry if only for what it means for Nintendo and Microsoft's relationship. Everyone else that isn't a veteran has no shot.

Characters from inactive franchise (unless they're basically from the NES era) are kinda screwed based off Sakurai's multiple statements. Inactive characters from active franchises on the other hand are somewhat better off and can still be considered and wanted by Sakurai. If that wasn't the case, Geno wouldn't have even been considered, let alone wanted by Sakurai.
Actually I'm curious, is Sakurai statement noting that Geno was a popular request a hint that he did well in the Ballot? We know Sakurai wanted him for Brawl but I wonder if like supposedly King K. Rool, Geno's Mii Costume was in response to the Ballot. It does, after all, have unique assets to it.

Maybe backlash was a strong word, and like I clarified it wasn't really a response to that either way, it was just the best word I could find to describe the fan reaction given that English isn't my native language.

To say that we're guaranteed two FE newcomers just because that's what happened in Smash 4 is a pretty hasty conclusion to reach though, a new game always shakes things up pretty drastically and brings new norms with it. People who used Brawl logic to predict the Smash 4 roster were horribly wrong, and there's a decent chance that using Smash 4 logic to predict the Smash 5 roster will be just as wrong, god knows what part of the roster we'll be complaining about in a year's time.
I see. I would have used something like "many fans were disappointed" or "upset" that Sakurai added Corrin.

Honestly, I'm willing to bet real money on us getting two Fire Emblem newcomers (and for that matter, two Pokemon newcomer). Even if we assume that Sakurai will use different logic to include characters, the concept of Sakurai modesty was proven a myth with last game with how much representation Kid Icarus: Uprising and Fire Emblem got and also how Sakurai decided contents for Kirby. That doesn't go away just because it's a new game even if say, we see more emphasis on popular requests from the Ballot than recent appearances. It's obvious given how Sakurai talked about Fire Emblem that he is affectionate for the series and thus would see more out of the latest Fire Emblem character than say, most other franchises. If last game can get us four Fire Emblem characters, two is not unfeasible to imagine.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
As much as people would argue otherwise, even getting a second Xenoblade character isn't a given. For all we know, Sakurai might just be fine with just having Shulk.
Of course it's not guaranteed but if we're looking at prominent games of the last and current generation, xenoblade stands out, I'd be shocked if someone from xenoblade doesn't get in since Nintendo are clearly trying to promote it as one of it's big new franchises and there's multiple standout characters that would be easy to implement and fit into smash

Last edited:

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
I mean I guess but I still wouldn't count Lucina as a whole other character and roy is like half a character. Fire Emblem has like 4.6 characters compared to Pokemon's completely unique 6
Use that logic on Zelda and then realize how messed up that is. Zelda is way more important than FE

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
AT's I think have the best chance of getting promoted would be Takamaru, Isabelle, and Ashley.

AT's I would most like to see promoted would be Ray, Ashley, and Lyn.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Although a lot of us like to complain about the tribalism of Smash character fan bases, speculation for this game has been based a lot more on logos and ethos rather than the pathos of pre-Brawl and pre-Smash 4 and the move to accept recency as the primary criteria for selecting characters has played the biggest role in that, especially since we got Bayonetta as the Ballot character who like K. Rool, Isaac, Banjo, and others had a recent Wii U appearance. Since it's clear that what we say now won't affect the base roster and that Sakurai rejected one of the most popular Nintendo request in Ridley, the shift in the character scene switched from the pathos-influenced "Let's get our favorite characters in!" to the logos and ethos-influenced "Based on who has appeared recently or who hasn't appeared since the Famicom/NES, who is the most likely?" After this game, especially if there's no ballot character outside the Inklings - who would have gotten in regardless - I don't think character advocacy will be much of a thing anymore and this will result in a significant decline in how many people decides to talk and speculate about prospective characters. Think about it, if all we can get for newcomers in future installments are characters from recent games, why bother supporting your long since dead favorite character? I know I wouldn't be here if there weren't several newcomers I wanted that I thought had a shot.

That tangent aside, I would say that King K. Rool and possibly Geno and Banjo are in an unique position among "characters without a future" if only because they are heavily requested, the former two were noted as popular requests and the latter is not only obviously one of the most wanted, but said inclusion would also be consequential towards the video game industry if only for what it means for Nintendo and Microsoft's relationship. Everyone else that isn't a veteran has no shot.
And in the case of K. Rool, he's basically most likely to return to DKC, seeing as a new game has been heavily hinted and the CEO of Retro Studios support his return.

Actually I'm curious, is Sakurai statement noting that Geno was a popular request a hint that he did well in the Ballot? We know Sakurai wanted him for Brawl but I wonder if like supposedly King K. Rool, Geno's Mii Costume was in response to the Ballot. It does, after all, have unique assets to it.
*shrugs* Possibly.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Four characters? Ike is nothing like Marth, Roy, or Lucina, chargeable neutral special and counter aside.
Character wise, Ike falls into the same Fire Emblem hero archtype that Roy, Marth, and Lucina fall into as well as sharing the same typical Fire Emblem Lord hair color as the latter two. That Ike is distinguished from the others by being a muscular, slow-hard hitting type gives him a niche on the roster, not Roy or Lucina. If anything Ike's presense on the roster hurts Lucina somewhat since you have three similar blue haired looking people on the roster competing for attention on the character screen instead of just two even if one of them obviously fights differently.

Realistically I feel like we could see changes made to Lucina and maybe Dark Pit to differentiate the two from Marth and Pit (though I won't lie, I don't really expect for Dark Pit to see much change because he's literally Pit's clone).
This occurred from the transition of Melee to Brawl, and Brawl lacked any true clone fighters so there is no example to pull for it to 3DS / Wii U.

Additionally, while on the topic of clone fighters, we could actually see Alph become his own fighter like they aimed to do near the end of development. I'm not sure if it would be much of a priority though, it seemed to only be planned because he was a costume and they had extra time. Circumstance might not be the same.

While I agree with you on Dark Pit and see your point on Alph, the problem with the idea of declining Lucina is that there's already another clone of Marth with a more defined gimmick and since Sakurai almost never choses to completely declone a character he might just opt to cut Lucina like he did with :drmario: and :wolf:* in Melee and Brawl respectively.

*I know Wolf isn't a proper clone but he is derivative of Fox and was very low priority considering he didn't come back.

Considering that Sakurai had planned on including Lucas for two games despite how niche the Mother franchise is, him not bothering to include the flavor of the month for another represented series sounds really out of character, especially given how recently he had done it with Corrin so its something he still takes into account.

Last edited:

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Of course it's not guaranteed but if we're looking at prominent games of the last and current generation, xenoblade stands out, I'd be shocked if someone from xenoblade doesn't get in since Nintendo are clearly trying to promote it as one of it's big new franchises and there's multiple standout characters that would be easy to implement and fit into smash
Is any game that came to the Wii U going to be considered prominent? I mean most barely got to a million. The Wii U tanked. Why would you want a Smash game to highlight to everyone all the games they didn't want to buy in the first place?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Is any game that came to the Wii U going to be considered prominent? I mean most barely got to a million. The Wii U tanked. Why would you want a Smash game to highlight to everyone all the games they didn't want to buy in the first place?
Because they're all getting Switch ports. :V

The games were great, just the console wasn't embraced by the consumer market.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I mean I guess but the roster was probably decided somewhere in 2016, the wii u and 3ds games of that time are kinda all they have to pull from. And I doubt sakurai would want to create a whole roster out of characters that don't technically exist yet outside of a pokemon rep and possibly a fire emblem one

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai would meet with Game Freak under all circumstances, assuming Pokemon don't somehow leave Smash.

That tweet doesn't really mean anything tbh, especially since we don't know the development timeline of this game, nor do we know if that's even the first meeting they conducted.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm hoping nobody gets cut. Lucina is a popular Nintendo character. I remember when people loved Super Smash Bros for having the characters they love.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm hoping nobody gets cut. Lucina is a popular Nintendo character. I remember when people loved Super Smash Bros for having the characters they love.
Yes that still happens.

And just as that also used to happen, so did people also used to call for character cuts. The only thing that's changed is which characters people focus on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom