• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mickey Mouse in Smash would be pretty cool... especially if he is based on Mickey Mousecapade and The Magical Quest and Castle of Illusion.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
Goku is cool and all, but if I had to choose Smash's first non-video game guest character, it would be Mickey Mouse...

...but only if he comes with a Steamboat Willie stage.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Okay as someone who doesn't know anything about Fates, I keep seeing this but no explanation why.
What did Male Corrin do to garner such hatred compared to female Corrin?
Male Corrin is a stupid chuckle**** of a character who a large margin of the FE fanbase kind of despises. He’s a pretty overt example of player pandering; an avatar character who everyone worships unconditionally, leads an army despite having no experience in the outside world, and often brings the characters that are forced to interact with to his own stupid level. Also his hair is dumb.

Female Corrin is basically the same thing but she’s also pretty cute so she gets less flack.:186:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Goku is cool and all, but if I had to choose Smash's first non-video game guest character, it would be Mickey Mouse...

...but only if he comes with a Steamboat Willie stage.
Okay, now I really want a Steamboat Willie stage. Just the idea of it sounds cool. Heck, Mr. Game & Watch would look right at home in something like that.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Random question if we ended up getting Sora as the first Disney rep in smash would it be likely that a Club penguin rep could become the 2nd rep for Disney? Both Kingdom hearts and Club penguin are very popular gaming franchises and successful and had many crossovers so would it make a lot sense to for a club penguin rep to be the 2nd pick for Disney?

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Random question if we ended up getting Sora as the first Disney rep in smash would it be likely that a Club penguin rep could become the 2nd rep for Disney? Both Kingdom hearts and Club penguin are very popular gaming franchises and successful and had many crossovers so would it make a lot sense to for a club penguin rep to be the 2nd pick for Disney?
I'm dying. This is freaking hilarious.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
To tell the truth, I really did not at all expect people to still be talking about Mickey Mouse and Goku when I got up this day, lol.

I personally wouldn't mind Mickey/Goofy/Donald appearing in the form of Sora (although I've never played KH outside of the intro of the first game and I eventually gave up because I found it so confusing...) however I definitely would never want any of them to appear as their own characters, ever. Never ever. Epic Mickey is good, but it's not good enough to make me look past him being a cartoon character.

One of my biggest issues with fan Smash games like Crusade and SSF2 is how they choose their rosters, and almost always add anime characters over Nintendo characters (wasn't Goku in one them before G&W???)

I completely forgot about Club Penguin being bought buy Disney, honestly. How long ago was that?

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
According to the Smashboards community, this is our top 10 most wanted newcomers (and more) as of now:

If you would like to participate, please clicky-click here.

Anyways...here's the updated list...as of 1:49 pm est 1/04/18

10 - Rex & Pyra/Mythra - 52***
9 - Shovel Knight - 53**
8 - Crash Bandicoot - 65*x6

7 - Isaac - 67****
6 - Decidueye - 68**
5 - Dixie Kong - 68*****
4 - Waluigi - 79*****
3 - Bandanna Dee - 93*x10

2 - Ridley - 129*x12
1 - King K Rool - 160*x20

Everything's pretty much the same except that Rex & Pyra/Mythra have bumped Captain Toad off of the Top 10...

Meanwhile...these are the current runner-ups who sit comfortably over 40 points apiece...
Captain Toad 50****
Bomberman 46 ***
Banjo & Kazooie 45**
Spring Man 44

Note: Captain Toad and Toad are being counted separately...Vanilla Toad has 15 points so far if people are curious...

There's a few others just under 40, that I'll mention as well...
Elma - 38****
Krystal - 37*****
Paper Mario - 37***
Geno - 35*****

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I'm curious, is there a full list anywhere? Daisy's been rather vocal fanbase wise so I'm surprised she's the only missing Mario frontrunner as it were.
I wouldn't call it very surprising, Most people don't like her; they cant see any unique move potential, they don't think she should be added just to represent spin-offs, and they associate her with forum users that tend to get on thier nerves.

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Okay as someone who doesn't know anything about Fates, I keep seeing this but no explanation why.
F!Corrin is seen as the default by many people, just because of how often she's marketed compared to the male version, being the default in Fire Emblem Warriors and even getting several figures. Some people also don't like M!Corrin's voice and hair. I like both versions equally.

In terms of community views, the community can't seem to decide what they think of them. They are usually referred to as the most hated Lord, yet have consistently placed in the top 10 of polls, beating out other beloved Lords like Sigurd and Leif so idk. Personally, I think Corrin as a character is fine.

Last edited:

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Daisy would be one of the worst additions to Smash imo. I would put Captain Toad, Paper Mario, Waluigi and even Geno before her on the line of Mario newcomers. I can even think of some potential WarioWare characters who can make it earlier then Daisy.

However, I don't think the Mario series needs a new character. It already has the big amount of :4mario::4drmario::4luigi::4peach::rosalina::4bowser::4bowserjr: 7 characters, I think that's already one or two too much. For Smash 4 I predicted the Mario series to have 5 characters in total (but with Toad as a newcomer), so this is a lot... and unexpected. I really like Bowser Jr. I'm not really fond of Rosalina & Luma, but I'm okay if she stays, and I actually know she will.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm curious, is there a full list anywhere? Daisy's been rather vocal fanbase wise so I'm surprised she's the only missing Mario frontrunner as it were.
Daisy has a few supporters that showed up in the Top 10 thread but not too many...she's accumulated 18 points thus far...

The Mario fans very much prefer Waluigi and Captain Toad over her it seems...

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
One of my biggest issues with fan Smash games like Crusade and SSF2 is how they choose their rosters, and almost always add anime characters over Nintendo characters (wasn't Goku in one them before G&W???)
To be quite fair for both games, the ratio of video game characters to non-video game characters is disproportionally large in the video game characters' favor (in fact, I believe Goku is the ONLY non-videogame character in Crusade's large lineup)

how did I mess up quoting that badly

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Daisy has a small but dedicated group of people. If you look at the Daisy thread, you'd realize it's more of a social thread rather than a support thread.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
According to the Smashboards community, this is our top 10 most wanted newcomers (and more) as of now:

If you would like to participate, please clicky-click here.
K. Rool, Ridley, Bandana Dee, Paper Mario, Issac, Waluigi, Dixie Kong, Krystal, Captain Toad, Shovel Knight...

Man, this is kinda depressing. I feel like this list has practically stayed the same since early Smash 4 speculation, yet very few of those popular characters ended up getting in Smash. Those who did had the whole "practically guaranteed" factor like Inklings (and that might have been why those characters were so popular in the first place).

Does anyone else feel like Mega Man and Villager were the only non-DLC Smash 4 characters who were highly requested worldwide? Everyone else feels like they were only moderately popular in one region (Little Mac and Shulk) or requested by so few people that most fans wrote them off (WFT and Robin).

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think part of it's a matter of what sprites are available. With Goku, Naruto, Luffy, etc., their sprites can be taken from games like Jump Ultimate Stars, while plenty of Nintendo characters would need custom sprites if they wanted to match a certain style, which takes time. If it's an easy addition that would make plenty of people happy, then I can at least see the appeal.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
K. Rool, Ridley, Bandana Dee, Paper Mario, Issac, Waluigi, Dixie Kong, Krystal, Captain Toad, Shovel Knight...

Man, this is kinda depressing. I feel like this list has practically stayed the same since early Smash 4 speculation, yet very few of those popular characters ended up getting in Smash. Those who did had the whole "practically guaranteed" factor like Inklings (and that might have been why those characters were so popular in the first place).

Does anyone else feel like Mega Man and Villager were the only non-DLC Smash 4 characters who were highly requested worldwide? Everyone else feels like they were only moderately popular in one region (Little Mac and Shulk) or requested by so few people that most fans wrote them off (WFT and Robin).
I mean, the only non-DLC newcomer character in Smash 4 that was confirmed to have gotten in based off fan demand was Mega Man, and that was based off the Brawl poll where Sonic won.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

I think Bowser Jr had decent requesting, but no where near the levels of Megaman and Villager.

A lot of Sm4sh newcomers seemed to be based on unique ideas and gimmicks over popularity in hindsight, and whilst I can see some merit in that, I'll admit there were only a very small handful of Smashers I was excited to see from the fourth installment no matter how unique they were.

I am however eternally grateful we got Robin over the more standard options for FE newcomer even if I avoid playing him due to that slow movement speed and weapon breakage gimmick...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think part of it's a matter of what sprites are available. With Goku, Naruto, Luffy, etc., their sprites can be taken from games like Jump Ultimate Stars, while plenty of Nintendo characters would need custom sprites if they wanted to match a certain style, which takes time. If it's an easy addition that would make plenty of people happy, then I can at least see the appeal.
Since you brought that up, I'm surprised we haven't gotten a sprite character in Smash yet. No, I'm not talking about a character like Pac-Man who fights with a few pixelated sprites. I mean an actual full-blown sprite character with animations and everything.

Feels like Sakurai would've tried that with at least one retro character by now. Mr. Game and Watch was a good start.

I think Bowser Jr had decent requesting, but no where near the levels of Megaman and Villager.

A lot of Sm4sh newcomers seemed to be based on unique ideas and gimmicks over popularity in hindsight, and whilst I can see some merit in that, I'll admit there were only a very small handful of Smashers I was excited to see from the fourth installment no matter how unique they were.

I am however eternally grateful we got Robin over the more standard options for FE newcomer even if I avoid playing him due to that slow movement speed and weapon breakage gimmick...
I'm not disappointed with what we got, but it is a little surprising when you go back and realize how very few of the Smash 4 newcomers got in from fan demand instead of just relevancy or a unique gimmick.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
To be quite fair for both games, the ratio of video game characters to non-video game characters is disproportionally large in the video game characters' favor (in fact, I believe Goku is the ONLY non-videogame character in Crusade's large lineup)

how did I mess up quoting that badly
That's fair, I was definitely leaning more on the side of SSF2 (which has 4 anime characters.)

I would like to say though I think one is still too many. I don't have issues with characters like R.O.B where while they are outside of video games, they still are related directly to Nintendo and them (R.O.B. also technically is a video game character, as he's considered a character in both of the games in a weird pseudo 4th wall breaking way) while I don't think there's any way someone like Goku wouldn't feel out of place.

Almost 11 years :0
o h

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

I think Bowser Jr. was among the top most requested Mario newcomers. At least, it seemed that way.

And yeah,
Robin's horrid mobility killed the character for me. Not too sure why his running speed is slower than Ganondorf's.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Since you brought that up, I'm surprised we haven't gotten a sprite character in Smash yet. No, I'm not talking about a character like Pac-Man who fights with a few pixelated sprites. I mean an actual full-blown sprite character with animations and everything.

Feels like Sakurai would've tried that with at least one retro character by now. Mr. Game and Watch was a good start.
I think partially it comes down to: What character would even have to be a sprite to begin with? I honestly can't think of a single retro character that doesn't have artwork of them non-pixelated. Even indie characters generally have official designs that aren't sprites.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I think Sheriff could become playable but as a sprite
This is fair, although even Sheriff himself as has an official design on the arcade cabinets (and I believe in the manual for them aswell.)

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord

It is probably easier to do recolors and do animations with a 3D model. Plus, most retro character either has a 3D version nowadays or hasn't even seen a game for a long time. Duck Hunt was pretty much a prime candidate for the sprite based character, but he wasn't, so I am guessing Sakurai isn't too interested in making retro character sprite based.

Edgelord_197

Smash Cadet
I think people just hate the character in general because of Fates. The male version is a dork, while the female looks really good. Which is why the female version was in top 10 in females, while the male version didn’t even make it in top 20 in a popularity poll

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
I really, really, hope that they revive the Smash Dojo. It was a good way to reveal new characters and to get a summary of their playstyle.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
The only way I can accept Daisy being in smash is if she brings Super mario land content with her which means I want to see the forgotten characters such as Tatanga coming back to life again in 3D
I don't mind if she ends up being a last minute clone or not but I just want to see super mario land coming back to life in someway

Last edited:

QuintonShark8714

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Monroeshark8713
Hey everybody, did you know certain characters were foreshadowed before they even become playable?

Here's a list of them

:4peach:- Peach's Castle in Smash 64
:4dedede:- trophy in Melee + in background of N64 dreamland.
:4charizard: - Pokeball Pokemon in Smash 64 and Melee.

:4ganondorf: - 1 part of the Melee reveal at E3 showing his arm
:4metaknight: - trophy in Melee.
:4pit: - look above.
:4zss:(Technically) - look above.
:4wario2:- look above.
:4diddy:- mentioned in the description of Dixie Kong's trophy and the DK Rap remix in Melee.
:4olimar: - trophy in Melee.
:4duckhunt:- look above.
:squirtle:- trophy in Melee + was in the Pokefloats stage in Melee.
:wolf:- also in 1 part of the Melee reveal at E3, with him being in his Wolfen

:4rob:- in one of Brawl’s screenshots before anyone knew he’d be in the game. (the R.O.B. statue in Port Town + enemies in SSE)
:4villager:- trophy in Brawl + background of Smashville.
:4littlemac:- Assist Trophy in Brawl + his AT reveal mentioned him being resurrected.
:4palutena:- trophy in Brawl + part of Pit's old final smash + her Super Bash Sisters refrence in KI: Uprising.
:4bowserjr:- trophy in Brawl + a rock in Mega Man's trailer looked like Bowser Jr. (which it kinda did).
:4mewtwo:-trophy in Brawl and Pre-DLC Smash 4.

:4pacman:- one of the clouds in Greninja's trailer shaping like him.
:4darkpit:- in one of the trailers + Palutena’s cutscene.
:4lucas:- trophy in Pre-DLC Smash 4.
:substitute: (Inkling) - trophy in SSB4.

so what newcomers (beside Inkling) and cut veterans could possibly foreshadowed in SSB5?

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

I genuinely hope that Smash V will be different thanks to the ballot. I doubt that we'll get all those guys, even if it's a completely new game, but at least three.
Captain Toad, Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee would be my choices. Sadly not those I want the most from the list lol.

Isaac, Krystal and K. Rool do have a problem of relevancy. K. Rool was at least recognized with a Mii Costume and that's why my hopes are a bit higher for him now than in Sm4sh.

Waluigi might not be considered due to whatever rancor Sakurai has towards spin-offs (probably got rekt by a Waluigi player in Mario tennis). Hopefully the ballot helped him.

Ridley, I don't even want to think about him anymore.

Paper Mario is a strange case. He could have been added in any Smash game without a problem since Brawl, but it's still not the case. If he really is popular everywhere else and not only on Smashboard, he has a chance, but I wouldn't say as high as the trinity Dixie/Toad/Dee.

Shovel Knight might have received a boost from the ballot, like the rest. We'll see.

I really, really, hope that they revive the Smash Dojo. It was a good way to reveal new characters and to get a summary of their playstyle.
I'd prefer nothing being revealed and a total surprise when the game is out. Though I really prefered Dojo's style of revelation (totally random) than videos taking the spot light of other games during directs.

I'm one of the last Daisy supporters on the boards. Daisy forever!
Nothing wrong with liking Daisy my dude.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
The only way I can accept Daisy being in smash is if she brings Super mario land content with her which means I want to see the forgotten characters such as Tatanga coming back to life again in 3D
I don't mind if she ends up being a last minute clone or not but I just want to see super mario land coming back to life in someway
Tatanga struggling as the replacement for Toad?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Potentially big news:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Is it a negotiation or something else?

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Potentially big news:

There was a problem fetching the tweet