• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Going back on what @GoldenYuiitusin said, I actually do think Buzzwole would be a really cool character in a Smash game and it did have more importance to the story of SMUSUM than a lot of other Pokemon.

Ultra Beasts were a big part of the game. Buzzwole is really popular and kinda made to fight to be honest.

Leech Life and Drain Punch could make a really cool, self-healing but hard hitting Pokemon.

Plus, I want to see his Final Smash what he did to that Snorlax.

Can that spoiler get an NSFW tag? :eek::eek::eek:

I like the idea of a playable Ultra Beast, but as I said on my previous post about the subject, I'd prefer Nihilego due to its larger prominence to the story. I also think Poipole and Zeraora could be good choices. (Is Zeraora even an UB though?)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Hey, INCREDIBLY random question...I was just thinking of it cause it was an old topic from years ago and it involves my favorite Nintendo series...

If Punch-Out got a second character, who would you pick?

My choice is Bald Bull.
Sorry for the late reply, but 2 major choices for me. Unless we somehow get Doc Louis, who'd I'd gladly take.

1. King Hippo, who'd be a heavyweight and have super armor for a ton of moves. He'd fight dirty, unlike Mac, since all the bosses do. Like throwing fruit, eating for recovery and so on.

2. Glass Joe, so you can style on your opponent with someone who lost 99 times.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
People that think the Mario and Zelda franchises are scraping the bottom of the barrel for 'relevant characters' haven't played more than five minutes of either.
Mario still has Pauline and Toad. And Waluigi but he'll always be a Wario character in my heart.

Zelda doesn't really have anyone, the three mainstays + Tink and Sheik are already in. Everyone else is a one and done.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
I think the reason they don't address Zelda characters is because many of them are one-offs (not including Warriors/Spin off titles)
However I do think the Champions have a legitimate shot, hence the Mipha build I drew up.

Mario characters lose some options by Sakurai saying he doesn't want to do generic species, but now we have Captain Toad instead of just "Toad". And on top of that, we could get Waluigi (yay memes) or Daisy, those just being few examples.

We're really not scraping the bottom of the barrel, we're just below the "Main characters" part on the top of the barrel.

What is your counterargument to the "Champions are all or nothing in a package" argument? (Mipha is my personal favorite of the four, I enjoyed the concept)

At one point, I thought it was Impa or bust, but her old lady BotW design is simply not adequate for it. I don't know how willing they are to pull the perfect SS Impa and give her something of a BotW makeover like happened with TP Sheik.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Going back on what @GoldenYuiitusin said, I actually do think Buzzwole would be a really cool character in a Smash game and it did have more importance to the story of SMUSUM than a lot of other Pokemon.

Ultra Beasts were a big part of the game. Buzzwole is really popular and kinda made to fight to be honest.

Leech Life and Drain Punch could make a really cool, self-healing but hard hitting Pokemon.

Plus, I want to see his Final Smash what he did to that Snorlax.

You know, I was liking the idea of Buzzwole in Smash.

Then I clicked on that spoiler.

What the actual ****?

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Can that spoiler get an NSFW tag? :eek::eek::eek:

I like the idea of a playable Ultra Beast, but as I said on my previous post about the subject, I'd prefer Nihilego due to its larger prominence to the story. I also think Poipole and Zeraora could be good choices. (Is Zeraora even an UB though?)
We don't really know anything about Zeraora yet, although the mined Pokedex entries seem to imply it's not an Ultra Beast.

Bug-type is my fave type though so I'm going to stick with Buzzwole. Leech Life, Fell Stinger, Hammer Arm and Reversal.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
What is your counterargument to the "Champions are all or nothing in a package" argument? (Mipha is my personal favorite of the four, I enjoyed the concept)
I mean we have Fox and Falco, but not Slippy and Peppy. Why do we only have half of Star Fox? It's not necessary to add them all, but adding one could still bring unique ideas to the game.

And I personally found Mipha to be the most enjoyable of the champions. I made some points before as to why Mipha might be a better option, though people are welcome to disagree. Essentially it was
Urbosa has the sword+shield fighting style which is already present (I recognize she would fight much different from Link though)
Daruk is a heavy fighting with a blunt weapon, like Dedede
Revali is in a weird spot because if they decide to add Decidueye, they aren't going to add 2 bird archers, right? Plus Revali bears too many similarities in attitude and appearance and whatnot to Falco.
Mipha doesn't really have fight sequences or anything that shows off her abilities, but it's confirmed in the game somewhere that she's an incredibly capable fighter. Plus she fills that polearm role that many people want to see.

But yeah, they all have plenty of merits to be in over the other. If one should get in, it really comes down to who Sakurai thinks brings the most to the table

Last edited:

Onua

Smash Journeyman
idk if its allowed here or not but I made alt colors for the frontier design for FF, that is if they go with that design. Which would be likely considering its the most recent game. (colors based on paleo pals which are basically like party members you get throughout the game)

(Also I really do think they are very likely going to get in)

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Adding Buzzwole and having bodybuilder poses as taunts would transform matches into complete flex wars.

Yes please.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Enough about Xenoblade 2. It's completely off-topic.
You're not wrong.
My thought was Pyra is just on the back stage while Rex is the one fighting and she doesn't do much.
They do it more then once, right before they get on the flying boat... they mention 14... and I'm pretty sure they say barely or not even.

Fake news.

Just

PK_Wonder PK_Wonder Go to 19:30 they say 12.... BOOM, carrying on.
Oi
Keep that video as spoiler my friend....
Well... As a westerner I can see the obvious difference of what would be acceptable and what would be questionable or uncomfortable, in comparison to Japanese culture.

Samus looks young yes, but easily passable for her 20's.

Pyra straight up looks 14.

please stop.
Yep, that's the problem there, east and west just have different perspective on this, so it is not healthy to argue this.
I don't think they ever straight up said an age. Nia complained about Rex looking like a kid. Rex gets upsets and said something along the lines of "you look about the same age as me lady." Rex is officially 15 just for the record.
Geez if it is a huge spoiler don't even mention it in the first place...
Yes, I am paranoid when it comes to spoilers ...
"Well if I can't discuss Xenoblade 2's outfits, I'm going to discuss their ages!"

-This thread, probably.
You don't say? So.. . age is relevant when it comes to video games and animes apparently lol.
Well that's probably in part because of the fact she's thousands of years old or whatever.
why the **** can't people stop using this trope godammit

I do think Pyra looks pretty young, but regardless. Saying they look the same age as Samus? Nah. Not even close. Samus looks way older.

:061:
So, this... Is spoiler territory not gonna discuss about her age whatsoever....
Listen, as a person who likes Pyra's original design as well, she is getting censored either way. We are saying the same stuff over and over again and you are still not listening......
I mean...
Not gonna debate on this anymore but, don't be so sure about it lol. If you just really hope she gets censored then that's not even worth talking in the first place.

Hell, we don't even know if she is going to be in.

Perhaps that user was right, I really just should "Let go." it is really no use to discuss this because it is annoying and people can really get stubborn on this no matter which side you are on.
Pyra is literally a "mother/big sister" type of character, though? They even mention it in the game.
It's actually.... Pandoria, based on a Heart to
More like that's just how Mythra created her to be like.

The age difference between Pyra and Samus is likely due to the differing artstyle, though. That said, Samus is actually supposed to look like mid to late 20s, unlike Pyra.
Spoilers ~~~~ handle spoilers carefully please . ..
Crazy idea, I know. The best part about my frustration with this threads obsession with XBC2 stuff is that I actually LOVE the Xenoblade franchise. XBC1 is far and away my favorite, but I still like the entire franchise. But the topics related to XBC2 that this thread is seeing are so trivial and really don't matter.
I am a Xenoblade fan too, obviously lol.
You can discuss this with me, that I personally like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 way more than Xenoblade Chronicles. So yeah we have a bit contrary opinion on this.
But hey it's worth discussing, but... No here at least.
If you have time we can discuss this on Xenoblade social thread.
Nia would actually be great btw.

Her design is really neat, I love her character personally, and rings would be some cool weapons.

Hopefully Dromarch would show up too, because he is rad

Of course it won't happen because of the fact that she isn't the main character, but it would be cool. that, and the fact she's a healer.
:061:
I prefer the lady you see in the trailer who has a hot looking blade with two flame whips.

So,enough age and censor debate crap, please, please, try to keep it spoiler free when discussing Xenoblade 2 characters and plots. I recommend don't even mention it at all.

Edit: this was before I saw the warning post, please understand.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Adding Buzzwole and having bodybuilder poses as taunts would transform matches into complete flex wars.

Yes please.
Not just taunts.

It would literally flex for everything.

Even sleeping.

Last edited by a moderator:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
The Xenoblade 2 stuff is completely off-topic. Please get back to Smash talk.
Agreed

Thanks to me not noticing this before posting.. You know what happened

I just also had the idea where core crystals can be a new assist item for Smash Bros Switch. Every character (Including Rex) can resonate a Blade and use the Blade's weapon to help, the character can use it until you optionally release it or get KOed. Yes, it may sound like an OP item, but I think it will be an interesting item to include for Smash Bros Switch nonetheless, what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Not just taunts.

Well if WFT does yoga poses for some of their moves... :yeahboi:

Its shield animation should be this:
ub02a.png

Giving it some super armor frames during the poses also would be cool

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Not just taunts.

Even sleeping.
You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

If only Buzzwole was bigger in the games to make him more likely. Unfortunately he was a post-game version exclusive so people who played Moon had Pheromosa instead of this big beefy hunk of man.

Well if WFT does yoga poses for some of their moves... :yeahboi:

Its shield animation should be this:
View attachment 139139

Giving it some super armor frames during the poses also would be cool
It could have a High Stance and Low Stance like Pokken. High Stance gives him some super armor or something lmao

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Rex and Pyra are the most likely newcomers for Super Smash Bros for the Nintendo Switch coming this fall. Great Discussion. Great Topic. Great Character.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, Buzzwole would be one of choices for a new Pokemon. I just kind of doubt it'll happen. It's the kind of situation I wouldn't mind being wrong about.

I would prefer to have Pheromosa as a playable character than Buzzwole. I like both, but I like the former slightly more.

fite me
Buzzwole would just flex on you though.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Pheromosa: Tied with Sonic speed-wise, hits as hard as Ganondorf, lighter than Jigglypuff
Buzzwole: Kinda slow and floaty, doesn't flinch at low %, heavy as DK

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Rex and Pyra are the most likely newcomers for Super Smash Bros for the Nintendo Switch coming this fall. Great Discussion. Great Topic. Great Character.
Smash Bros Switch coming this holiday... Fire Emblem Switch is the fall title and will have new characters in Smash Bros Switch as promotion.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
speculation thread goes in circles it seams
> Pyra and censorship
> cuts
> leak
> Steve/Sans
> someone mentions something else and nothing happens
> Pyra and censorship
> Pyra and censorship

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
speculation thread goes in circles it seams
> Pyra and censorship
> cuts
> leak
> Steve/Sans
> someone mentions something else and nothing happens
> Pyra and censorship
> Pyra and censorship
Only because we've got jack-**** to actually speculate on. We ain't got a second of gameplay to look at, we got a trailer with one new character and about a dozen veterans covered in shadow, so we don't have a lot to discuss.

The Pyra topic comes up way too much, though.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay folks.

Could you see Sakurai revive/include a series that hasn't had a game in a while but also isn't retro?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I know he's an assist Trophy in Smash 4, but Dillon from the Rolling Western games could be a fairly interesting character. If they find a way to implement building those towers while he fights to set up traps. Sort of like that Emmet guy from PSASBR. Of course he'd also roll around and throw dynamite. Still, I kind of expect him to stay as an assist trophy.

Otherwise, since Splatoon is such a popular series now, do you think there's gonna be more than 1 stage to fight on? There's enough material between the two games to warrant it at the very least.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Okay folks.

Could you see Sakurai revive/include a series that hasn't had a game in a while but also isn't retro?
I could definitely see him doing that, but I can't think of what game series fits into both of those qualifications.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
You all clearly don't realize who the ultimate likely character choice is.

His relevance from last year is perfect timing. Make sure to update your prediction lists.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Okay folks.

I would say F-Zero, but I'd rather let the guys who make the Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing games handle that instead. I guess Custom Robo.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you meant if he MADE a game on a series that hadn't had an entry in a while. Guess the Custom Robo answer is the game though.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
In a perfect world, Cuphead would have a Nintendo release.

Seriously, Cuphead would make a great indie fighter in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Okay folks.

GOLDEN SUN!
That is my hope.
Golden Sun was very popular in Brawl times and was an Assist Trophy, but Isaac needs to be a fighter. It is a little sad that he was removed from being an Assist trophy even.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Okay folks.

Not counting on it. Sakurai's mind doesn't linger on the no-man's-land between "those good old days" and "what I played last week". :p

Which sucks cause like all my favourite series that aren't already in Smash fall under this category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom