• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
It would be so big! :p

Seriously though, amiibo are actually one thing I am really looking forward to with this game, especially a Ridley one. I probably will not re-buy most of the cast as I already have them, but characters that I really like and may have a redesign (Link, Zelda, Samus) or have a really nice new version I will get. Looking forward to whatever newcomers as well.
ah crap i forgot about the redesigns of link and the others. may end up buying those too. i have all the smash bros. amiibos.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Are we seriously having another Greninja being cut discussion? :glare:

It's not gonna happen. If Lucario's popularity with the fans and Smash saved him, then Greninja is on the same boat. I really don't want to see this whole thing happening again like they did with Lucario and Ike in the previous game and sickened me to death
Greninja will not be cut, only nerfed :troll:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
ah crap i forgot about the redesigns of link and the others. may end up buying those too. i have all the smash bros. amiibos.
Nice.

I'm missing a couple like G&W and Duck Hunt and the last batch of DLC characters, but have the vast majority of the rest. I made the mistake of calculating how much I have spent on amiibo since they released... that was a frightening answer. I guess that is what happens when you have most of the Smash line, all the yarn Yoshi's, the whole Zelda line, the Metroid line and still looking to get more :laugh:

Goont

Smash Rookie
NNID
PrankingMaster
3DS FC
3024-5691-5601
Switch FC
SW-1032-2125-3356
I bet Amiibo are a key part of why this game exists. They're going to take full advantage of the new redesigns to crank out new Amiibo. Get ready to get wallets out and buy tons of new figures. Get ready for Smash versions of the Inklings, BOTW Link, and any other redesigns.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
As Swamp said, Piplup is not Empoleon. The reason Piplup is popular and was used in I Choose You was because of its own attributes up to and including its role in the DP anime (which is notable for not wanting to evolve), things that Empoleon doesn't share and can't be equated just because they're in the same line. It's like saying Persian should be playable because Meowth is so popular and notable, Persian does have its own fans, but Meowth's promotion and characterization is far removed from its evolution and Persian would lack a lot of what makes the character so loveable.
Piplup was my favorite Pokemon for a long time and I adore every first stage water starter. They're all just wonderful. I'd eat a shoe to get Piplup in.
On that note, I’ve always wanted Meowth as a playable character.
Meowth should've been in Smash 64 instead of Jiggles imo. Jiggly got in for her popularity in the show, why not Meowth instead? I get that Jiggs was mostly a clone in that game, but man.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
so i don't think anyones brought this up but what about more amiibos for the newcomers? imagine ridley's amiibo. lol.
Maybe I could finally have an Arms amiibo lmao.

Honestly though there's basically no way they won't do more amiibos. Smash's trophy shtick is what spawned amiibos in the first place (well, that and the big market at the time for toys to life games.) Seeing as veteran characters will be getting new art I'm gonna say they're probably getting new figures too. I wish they'd just rerelease the old ones and include the newcomers but hey, thems the breaks.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I'm curious that if this Smash is a new game, then can use our old Amiibo with the game?

Like I got a fully trained level 50 Cloud Amiibo, it be cool to use him in Smash 5 especially if they let us use them online.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I'm curious that if this Smash is a new game, then can use our old Amiibo with the game?

Like I got a fully trained level 50 Cloud Amiibo, it be cool to use him in Smash 5 especially if they let us use them online.
It would be nice if we could bring trained amiibo from Smash WiiU to the Switch, but I think it might not work, especially if some characters have movesets change as what the amiibo has been trained might not carry over properly. I am certain that the actual amiibo will work with the game though.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I still say a Pokemon cut for this game should be to trim down on the Gen 1 representation if anything.
My main issue with that is the Gen 1 Pokemon in the game are Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard, and Mewtwo, all of which are either veterans from 64 or hugely iconic. There's not really much to be done about Gen 1 in Smash as a result.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I bet Amiibo are a key part of why this game exists. They're going to take full advantage of the new redesigns to crank out new Amiibo. Get ready to get wallets out and buy tons of new figures. Get ready for Smash versions of the Inklings, BOTW Link, and any other redesigns.
Joke's on you, I'm totally willing to buy that ****.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'm hoping for Elma and Pyra for Xenoblade Chronicles X and 2 character picks, respectively.

This is a long shot but Star Fox Adventures is one of my most nostalgic Nintendo games so I want to see Krystal in and fighting with her staff, along with a Dinosaur Planet stage.

I really need to get a Switch...
Yeah.. You should

I personally think Rex is the only playable character while Pyra will be on the back stage and only appears on Rex’s final Smash.

Staarih

Smash Master
While amiibo seem to still be relevant, I do wonder if they have some new peripheral/accessory in mind to alongside Smash - they know it would sell well whatever it was.
Labo-cardboard character cut-outs ofc

Honestly though, if they're planning on releasing Smash for Nintendo Online, that'll probably be their big focus (when marketing, "connecting", having something extra) and maybe they'll just enable the use of the old amiibo (rerelease?) and make ones for newcomers.

If a whole new line happens, well, RIP my wallet.

Last edited:
My main issue with that is the Gen 1 Pokemon in the game are Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard, and Mewtwo, all of which are either veterans from 64 or hugely iconic. There's not really much to be done about Gen 1 in Smash as a result.
Which could hurt new representation possibilities in Smash 5vand any future Smash game.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
While amiibo seem to still be relevant, I do wonder if they have some new peripheral/accessory in mind to alongside Smash - they know it would sell well whatever it was.

Honestly though, if they're planning on releasing Smash for Nintendo Online, that'll probably be their big focus (when marketing, "connecting", having something extra) and maybe they'll just enable the use of the old amiibo (rerelease?) and make ones for newcomers.

I have doubles of every smash amiibo, yup im insane, and I really hope if they continue amiibos its just the newcomers with the old ones rereleased, I cant keep up with that again.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Which could hurt new representation possibilities in Smash 5vand any future Smash game.
I don't see how. The idea of a veteran getting in the way of a newcomer is a myth that needs to die. The ideal scenario is that no one gets cut and they simply add a new pokemon fighter (Gen 7) for this iteration.

Also, I don't understand the issue that people have with the amount of Gen 1 pokemon in this game. Yeah, yeah, most of the Pokemon characters belong to the original generation, so what? The timing when Smash first started out and the popularity of those characters played a role in that. I honestly don't see any of them going anywhere, specially Pikachu, Mewtwo and Charizard, and the idea of trimming Gen 1 down to even it up with other Gens is preposterous and unnecessary; they are all equal as in that they are all Pokemon, doesn't matter if it's Lucario, Charizard or Greninja. I don't understand why this fandom always feels the need to hairsplit in that regard.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sometimes the idea of "representation" takes away from the fact that the characters are usually included because they're just fun and beloved characters.

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
Cuts, I really wouldn't mind seeing some of the Fire Emblem Characters cut, with my first pick being Lucina.
I of course understand the Fire Emblem fans would be hurt, but I find these characters so boring and samey. Corrin and Robin are the only ones that bring something different to the table, but I really don't see Lucina as being needed.

Beside that, Mii Fighters and Wii Fit Trainer I could see being cut for obvious reasons. Maybe Shulk as he isn't relevant anymore and Cloud and Ryu.
well ike has something that makes him different, kinda wish he would be more like his brawl self with overwhelming power but I want him less grab reliant, we have enough grappler heavies maybe bolster ganon’s grab game instead since he always was a grappler reliant on grab

But... why? Aside from Roy they are some of the most unique and creative characters in the roster. And one of them is frickn' Cloud!
because people hate how cloud can actually make air dodges pointless an kinda has a bland style, bayo has her zero to death combos (I wouldn’t mind seeing a redone cloud and bayo, bayo with some slight changes to her combos and cloud with a more interesting fighting style)

representation of franchises isn’t too important to a point, some franchises could do well with more characters from the series but what is more important is are they fun and interesting, also zard and mewtwo can be cut tbh, which would leave us with lucario pikachu puff and a new starter to put in and potentially another pokemon or unrelated character slot

I have doubles of every smash amiibo, yup im insane, and I really hope if they continue amiibos its just the newcomers with the old ones rereleased, I cant keep up with that again.
well how would amiibo stuff save, and customs etc it can only save so much data

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Woah, you know theres a rule against double posting right?

Also that purple is really hard to read

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I am going for all Amiibo, and while I do not have Doubles of most, I have a huge chunk of sealed ones, and I want to at least have a few sealed Amiibo for every 'Amiibo series'. They just look very nice in the packaging, too. I am sure we'll get new Smash Amiibo with this game, but I am not sure if I think the'll make new ones out of EVERY character.

Then again, most are surely gonna get new art, right? For promotional purposes and with characters like Link surely having his BOTW outfit for his main art. I am excited to see the new art, they always look so nice.

Oh, how about this. We'll get a new Amiibo for EVERY Smash character. But! They are all the size of the Detective Pikachu Amiibo. :p

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
LittleMissEevee LittleMissEevee In future use the + Quote button to stack up messages you want to reply to instead of multi-posting.

On topic, I don't think vets ever get in the way or newcomers but I do think newcomers get priority over veterans outside of the must-haves of Mario, Link and the like.

You were always going to get more out of Lucario in Brawl instead of bringing Mewtwo back.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I just started up Brawl on my Wii U which has no save data. Started playing Subspace then a couple of Classic runs.

I sure hope the new Smash has a single player like Brawl. Subspace 2 would be amazing IMO, even with the flaws.

And Classic should return to a Melee-esque format where it's not just enemy spam but 11 matches with set rules.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I am going for all Amiibo, and while I do not have Doubles of most, I have a huge chunk of sealed ones, and I want to at least have a few sealed Amiibo for every 'Amiibo series'. They just look very nice in the packaging, too. I am sure we'll get new Smash Amiibo with this game, but I am not sure if I think the'll make new ones out of EVERY character.

Then again, most are surely gonna get new art, right? For promotional purposes and with characters like Link surely having his BOTW outfit for his main art. I am excited to see the new art, they always look so nice.

Oh, how about this. We'll get a new Amiibo for EVERY Smash character. But! They are all the size of the Detective Pikachu Amiibo. :p
Ughhh... I literally don't have any more room (or money) for my sealed amiibo collection. If Nintendo makes more Smash amiibo, which looks like it might be the case, then I'd prefer they limit themselves to just newcomers.

No amiibo for BotW Link.
No amiibo for all of Villager's alts.
Just newcomers.

But who am I kidding, I'm still wasting my money buying them all even if they did make 70+ new amiibo.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Ughhh... I literally don't have any more room (or money) for my sealed amiibo collection. If Nintendo makes more Smash amiibo, which looks like it might be the case, then I'd prefer they limit themselves to just newcomers.

No amiibo for BotW Link.
Just newcomers.

But who am I kidding, I'm still wasting my money buying them all even if they did make 70+ new amiibo.
I have them all too. Since I finished the collection though I bought a house so I have no money for the next lot.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I just started up Brawl on my Wii U which has no save data. Started playing Subspace then a couple of Classic runs.

I sure hope the new Smash has a single player like Brawl. Subspace 2 would be amazing IMO, even with the flaws.

And Classic should return to a Melee-esque format where it's not just enemy spam but 11 matches with set rules.
Smash 4 lacking story cutscenes was one of biggest complaint even to this day... I really hope they can make those cutscenes in the game for Smash Bros Switch.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Smash 4 lacking story cutscenes was one of biggest complaint even to this day... I really hope they can make those cutscenes in the game for Smash Bros Switch.
The reason for not including a story mode with cutscenes is so silly as well. Basically Sakurai didn't like that the cutscenes were leaked on the Internet before Brawl released and people got spoiled so he decided not to include them at all in Smash 4.

Would be cool to see a Subspace emmisary like mode, but taking place in different Nintendo universes next time instead of mostly original areas and enemies like Brawls.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master

No amiibo for BotW Link.
Just newcomers.

Would you take a Amiibo for each of the Koopaling alts, at least?

And the inevitable 5-parter Ridley Amiibo, where you have to buy 5 seperate pieces to assemble your very own Ridley?

Buy two tails, get a right-leg for free!!

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
All I hope is that amiibo have more implementation. I don't really like amiibo fighters, but I'd like to see them doing some other ideas with them.

I'd be fine with them doing all new amiibo for Smash 5 (they're almost definitely gonna have new poses for the CSPs), or doing just the new characters and bringing back the old Sm4sh amiibo.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Would you take a Amiibo for each of the Koopaling alts, at least?
Ehh, I guess. Don't feel like they're really necessary though. I don't want to see the "Player 2" idea expanded on.

And the inevitable 5-parter Ridley Amiibo, where you have to buy 5 seperate pieces to assemble your very own Ridley?

Buy two tails, get a right-leg for free!!
"Tom, I've been to every GameStop in town! Nothing but legs. What about you? Any luck?"

"I FOUND A WING!! LET'S SELL IT ONLINE FOR $70.99 NOT INCLUDING SHIPPING!!"

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Absolutely everything points to it being a new game.

I can definitely see it being based mostly off Smash U, however I personally no longer believe there's any chance of it not being a new main title.
The Smash Bros logo is also new.

Meowth should've been in Smash 64 instead of Jiggles imo. Jiggly got in for her popularity in the show, why not Meowth instead? I get that Jiggs was mostly a clone in that game, but man.
All of the secret characters only existed because they could re-use assets, so Meowth's only chance would have been to bump out on of the original 8, which would have been unrealistic.

Sometimes the idea of "representation" takes away from the fact that the characters are usually included because they're just fun and beloved characters.
And sometimes there are characters that are specifically included for the sake of "representation like:icsmelee::zerosuitsamus::4greninja::4corrin:.
Roster decision processes are not so black and white, but a mixture of many different factors that depends on what is feasible and Sakurai feels would be great for the game. I think people forget that last part.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I want see new stages from Game & Watch series like Bomb Sweeper, Fire Attack and Vermin.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Ehh, I guess. Don't feel like they're really necessary though. I don't want to see the "Player 2" idea expanded on.

"Tom, I've been to every GameStop in town! Nothing but legs. What about you? Any luck?"

"I FOUND A WING!! LET'S SELL IT ONLINE FOR $70.99 NOT INCLUDING SHIPPING!!"
They'd certanly not be necessary per say, but would be a way for Nintendo to make money simply, and giving up uniqie figurines for each of them, which would be awesome. ^^

Also, imagine if they DID release a multi-part Amiibo (with whatever gimmick it would have). It would be chaos. Glorious chaos.

But anyways, I kinda see them making a 'full' reveal for Smash at E3 for the biggest wow-factor and such, but then again that would leave a very short promotion period for such a huge title (and Smash is a amazing promotion game). When do we think the'll show more?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Being fun is better than representing a series.

If you’re fun, unique, AND represent something new, then you’re an excellent character choice. Cutting a character simply because “muh representation” is foolish and will literally not happen as long as Sakurai is the lead.

That’s why, honestly, I chuckle at the prospect of cutting particular Pokémon. Game Freak is in Sakurai’s ear, so he pretty much picks from what they recommend. What they recommend would probably be something new (my guess is Decidueye).

Also, with Pokémon, it will never be only Gen 1. They will also never have equal amounts of characters from each gen, because each gen isn’t as popular as the next. There’s also insurmountable popularity within the likes of Charizard and Mewtwo. Lucario and Greninja have become popular choices in their own right. They’re also practical for Smash and how it plays.

Sakurai won’t just shoehorn Pokémon characters in for “muh representation”. This is a video game, is meant to be fun, and meant to be played.

I do have to wonder sometimes if some people here only talk about Smash Bros, or if they actually play it. Not because I think they don’t have decent ideas. If it were a gallery walk, I can see where representing makes sense. But this game could be a mess if it were only about representing things.

That’s my honest take on that.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Being fun is better than representing a series.

If you’re fun, unique, AND represent something new, then you’re an excellent character choice. Cutting a character simply because “muh representation” is foolish and will literally not happen as long as Sakurai is the lead.

That’s why, honestly, I chuckle at the prospect of cutting particular Pokémon. Game Freak is in Sakurai’s ear, so he pretty much picks from what they recommend. What they recommend would probably be something new (my guess is Decidueye).

Also, with Pokémon, it will never be only Gen 1. They will also never have equal amounts of characters from each gen, because each gen isn’t as popular as the next. There’s also insurmountable popularity within the likes of Charizard and Mewtwo. Lucario and Greninja have become popular choices in their own right. They’re also practical for Smash and how it plays.

Sakurai won’t just shoehorn Pokémon characters in for “muh representation”. This is a video game, is meant to be fun, and meant to be played.

I do have to wonder sometimes if some people here only talk about Smash Bros, or if they actually play it. Not because I think they don’t have decent ideas. If it were a gallery walk, I can see where representing makes sense. But this game could be a mess if it were only about representing things.

That’s my honest take on that.
So you're saying Sakurai picks the Pokemon he's told to, but he doesn't add characters for representation?

?????????????

Smash Master
So you're saying Sakurai picks the Pokemon he's told to, but he doesn't add characters for representation?
Not purely for representation.

If there’s two characters that are almost equally “representative,” the one that is more interesting is more likely, like Chrom vs Robin.

Don’t confuse “representation” with “promotion.” I’m sure Pokémon wanted someone from Gen 6 for the sake of promotion, whereas you would have better representation by having Pokémon of all different Gens.

Personally, I think the way they’re doing things right now in terms of character choice is spot-on.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We already know Sakurai makes the final choices on playable Pokemon.

But we also know that at times representation is his goal. There's of course more to it than that, but representation is sometimes part of a character's reasoning. To pretend it's always the case is silly, like, for instance, Rosalina. It's not some representation thing. He found her to have great moveset potential, inspired by not just herself, but all kinds of things in Galaxy. The various gravity stuff is pretty clearly based upon what the game's all about. But it wasn't done just to "represent it" so much as be fun and interesting.

There's also Smash 4's clones; They were chosen to be updated from alts simply because there were ideas to make them interesting and different, with Dr. Mario being a notable variance since players would rather enjoy his original moveset from Melee, as he had fans(notable because it was fanbase-related). Dark Pit in this case was too OOC to use the Sacred Treasures. And Lucina was chosen to be an easy-mode Marth.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You’re taking that out of context.

For Pokémon, Sakurai doesn’t have as much freedom because he’s dealing with Game Freak/The Pokémon Company. They, as a company, have their own agenda with what they want out there. More people seeing their character equates to more exposure.

Granted, i’m sure Sakurai at least has some criteria they know of. They’ve been dealing with him for quite some time now in regard to Smash.

The point is that other series don’t have the same requirements. Fire Emblem is a huge example. Robin got in over Chrom because not only was he new, but he was different and added something new. The concept of the character also works on a gameplay level.

Corrin, while a new character from a new game, also presented some pretty unique gameplay possibilities. Sakurai has effectively even said he was wary of adding Corrin because of the fact that there was a lot of Fire Emblem representation. But he saw the character for who they were and what they could do. Thus, we have Corrin.

Gameplay, more than anything, is more important.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Not purely for representation.

If there’s two characters that are almost equally “representative,” the one that is more interesting is more likely, like Chrom vs Robin.

Don’t confuse “representation” with “promotion.” I’m sure Pokémon wanted someone from Gen 6 for the sake of promotion, whereas you would have better representation by having Pokémon of all different Gens.

Personally, I think the way they’re doing things right now in terms of character choice is spot-on.
I misread what you originally wrote. My bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom