• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staarih

Smash Master
Never been a Kirby fan (gameplay-wise), I did try the Star Allies demo and that just further solidified me not being a fan lol. But to each their own, I do like the characters and the universe though.

And any new Kirby content in Smash is always welcome, be it from Star Allies or something else.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Yesterday I bought both Resident Evil 7 and Kirby Star Allies. Played both games an hour and I must say it´s quite fascinating going from a scary first person survival horror game to an easy cute side scrolling plat-former.

Video games are art.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly, it doesn't even matter if Star Allies is fantastic or horrible. We all know Sakurai isn't going to add content from a Kirby game he didn't help make. :rolleyes:

Stratos

Smash Ace
If Lucina gets reworked to fight a little more like in Awakening, then she can share her spot with Chrom. Just like the female versions of Robin, Corrin and the Wii Fit Trainer.
In Super Smash Bros Brawl, Palutena coming as Final Smah of Pit and in Super Smash Bros for 3DS/Wii U as newcomer.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Idea!: back during Smash 4, many characters were revealed via Miiverse or via Direct during important dates related to that character such as game releases and anniversaries.

What if this time around, new characters are revealed like how Inklings were. They were revealed after Splatoon 2 content was shown. What if this becomes a thing?

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
A lot of Kirby villains have the same issues Zelda villains have - they're one or two-shot characters outside of cameos and spin offs.

Skull Kid, Zant, Ghirahim, Yuga etc.

Marx, Magolor, Dark Matter, Nightmare etc.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I enjoyed Star Allies, still playing it, I want to complete the extra mode with everyone. Just finished Bandana Dee, Think I'll do Chef Kawasaki next

But I reckon the stage is going to be both in Star Allies and a past Sakurai stage, like how Halberd was in Squeak Squad

I'm thinking we're getting Castle Dedede, especially since it was quite a memorable location in Star Allies

And for the love of all things cute, please let Bandana Dee be playable.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
A lot of Kirby villains have the same issues Zelda villains have - they're one or two-shot characters outside of cameos and spin offs.

Skull Kid, Zant, Ghirahim, Yuga etc.

Marx, Magolor, Dark Matter, Nightmare etc.
Aren’t Vaati and Dark Matter three-shot characters?

splat

Smash Lord
Idea!: back during Smash 4, many characters were revealed via Miiverse or via Direct during important dates related to that character such as game releases and anniversaries.

What if this time around, new characters are revealed like how Inklings were. They were revealed after Splatoon 2 content was shown. What if this becomes a thing?
I was going to say we'd be very limited in characters that could be revealed, but looking at the list of potential newcomers and the list of upcoming games (or games eligible for (additional) DLC), this might actually work. We wouldn't get any retro characters, but to be fair - those tend not to get announced early on.

For those wondering, these are some of the games that could be addressed in Nintendo Directs:
  • Mario Tennis Aces
  • Mario Odyssey (DLC)
  • Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
  • WarioWare Gold
  • Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
  • Kirby Star Allies (DLC)
  • Pokémon Switch
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (DLC)
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Fire Emblem Warriors (DLC)
  • Nintendo Labo
  • Dillon's Dead-Heat Breakers
  • Yoshi Switch
  • Mario & Luigi BIS+BJJ
  • ARMS DLC might be done, but there's that tourney coming up
  • A truck full of indies

Stratos

Smash Ace
I do not want to see characters that are not from videogames. Maybe Captain N or Nester are related with Nintendo, but not others that are not related with the videogames.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I was going to say we'd be very limited in characters that could be revealed, but looking at the list of potential newcomers and the list of upcoming games (or games eligible for (additional) DLC), this might actually work. We wouldn't get any retro characters, but to be fair - those tend not to get announced early on.

For those wondering, these are some of the games that could be addressed in Nintendo Directs:
  • Mario Tennis Aces
  • Mario Odyssey (DLC)
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • WarioWare Gold
  • Pokémon Switch
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Nintendo Labo
  • Yoshi Switch
  • Mario & Luigi BIS+BJJ
  • A truck full of indies
At the very least, I'm sure they'll try to reveal newcomers alongside relevant material. Metroid, FE, and Pokemon could get newcomers revealed at E3.

I don't think they'll be able to do this with EVERY character, obviously. ARMS is a possible contender for a Smash newcomer, but I doubt much will be covered on that game in the future.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I do not want to see characters that are not from videogames. Maybe Captain N or Nester are related with Nintendo, but not others that are not related with the videogames.
Most of us agree with you. Occasionally there's someone who wants Goku but it's best to just ignore them.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
The character I want the least (that I consider realistic) has to be Rex and Pyra, or really most of the blades from that game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

• Mario Tennis Aces
  • Mario Odyssey (DLC)
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • WarioWare Gold
  • Pokémon Switch
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Nintendo Labo
  • Yoshi Switch
  • Mario & Luigi BIS+BJJ
  • A truck full of indies
Mario x Rabbids with the Donkey Kong DLC? :4dk:

With a sweet reveal of King K.Rool being the boss of that DLC, and kaboom... Suddenly he's in Smash Switch as well.

Tho, I don't expect K.Rool or any other newcomer to be shown before some veterans. Especially since King K.Rool is from a well established franchise, and we haven't properly seen DK in the game himself.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

• Mario Tennis Aces Waluigi
  • Mario Odyssey (DLC)
  • Captain Toad Treasure Tracker Captain Toad
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze Dixie Kong and/or King K Rool
  • WarioWare Gold
  • Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition New Zelda character
  • Kirby Star Allies (DLC) new Kirby character
  • Pokémon Switch new Pokemon character
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (DLC) Rex and/or Elma
  • Metroid Prime 4 Ridley or MP4 Character
  • Fire Emblem Warriors (DLC) Hero of the Month or past lords
  • Nintendo Labo Labo Robo
  • Dillon's Dead-Heat Breakers Dillon
  • Yoshi Switch
  • Mario & Luigi BIS+BJJ
  • ARMS DLC might be done, but there's that tourney coming up Spring Man
  • A truck full of indies
Added characters that are potentially likely and to which it applies to. It also doesn’t count unknown games in the works. I think it can most definitely work except for retro characters. Unless a retro anthology for Switch is in the works.

?????????????

Smash Master
I saw something about Animal Crossing while I was skimming this morning.

During Brawl speculation, I was into Mr. Resetti as a newcomer (thought he could work best with a pickaxe moveset.)

Now, I just hope he comes back as an AT.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548

During Brawl speculation, I was into Mr. Resetti as a newcomer (thought he could work best with a pickaxe moveset.)

I really loved Resetti's Assit Trophy, easily one of my favorites. It's weird to me that they added Villager then removed him, lol. I really would have liked to known what he had to say about them.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone else found it weird that in Smash 4 the three clones, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario and Lucina, had separate character slots yet Alph and the Koopalings didn't? I can understand the Koopalings didn't but it's odd Alph didn't. I think clones should either be different character slots or costumes, no inbetweens.

On the topic of clones/semi-clones I wouldn't mind:
Daisy
Dry Bowser
If Captain Toad is a newcomer hopefully Toadette gets added too
Funky Kong
Toon Zelda
Medusa
Dark Samus
Black Shadow
Shadow The Hedgehog

?????????????

Smash Master
Did anyone else found it weird that in Smash 4 the three clones, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario and Lucina, had separate character slots yet Alph and the Koopalings didn't? I can understand the Koopalings didn't but it's odd Alph didn't. I think clones should either be different character slots or costumes, no inbetweens.
My guess is that Alph would have been a clone if there was any more extra time. Alph is probably what Lucina and Dark Pit were originally going to be like.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Having Dark Pit in still makes me salty. Hades would of been a lot more fun. Also, has Doc Mario ever been in Mario Kart?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

"First up! Impersonations. You know, where I talk like somebody else, get me?"

"My impersonation of Rosalina!"

"'Mmm hmm!'"

"Well? Huh? How was that? Dead ringer, right?"

"What? Dead stinker?"

"...."

"Hold it.... You laughin' at me? THERE! I saw your nose twitchin'! Now you did it!"

"UGHWAAH!"

Last edited:

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice

I like this idea, especially since the head of Level 5 said there's a new Layton game coming this summer that we know nothing about.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Having Dark Pit in still makes me salty. Hades would of been a lot more fun. Also, has Doc Mario ever been in Mario Kart?
Dr. Mario has pretty much only been in Doctor Mario games plus other puzzle cameos, Smash and as an outfit in Odyssey.

Also, yeah, Dark Pit wasn't one of the more memorable characters. Medusa, Hades and Viridi are all better options.

?????????????

Smash Master
Actually, as long as we have Alph, I'd love to see them go even further with Olimar. Like, the character is "Pikmin & ______"

Pikmin and Olimar
Pikmin and Louie
Pikmin and President
Pikmin and Alph
Pikmin and Brittany
Pikmin and Charlie

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
I'll never understand this thread: we have multiple posts a minute, and now we've just had none for 38 minutes.

D

Deleted member

This thread's always got three new pages when you sign in maybe more always good too see it rocking. Wouldn't mind seeing Pikmin get more reps.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Please stop the Unown text spam. For many it's unreadable and stifles discussion. That, and it's image-only posts which is spam by default.
Does this count as spam? I'm legitly asking here....
ㄓ ㄉㄠˋ ㄌㄜ˙。
This thread's always got three new pages when you sign in maybe more always good too see it rocking. Wouldn't mind seeing Pikmin get more reps.
I'm more worst.. whenever I woke up, there's like 10-20 pages for me to catch up...

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I'm gonna make a prediction.

Ice Climbers will be back, but, I think they won't be seperate-able. I think they will still walk and attack side by side, but they will always be together. I could see this as something Sakurai would do to more easily balance stuff with them, and I forsee a lot of anger towards that decision if it happens.

Arteen

Smash Lord
This is what happens when you let people write in their suggestions. Let me know if you see any redundancies. I can only imagine how disjointed the ballot may have been. :laugh:

Waluigi (176)
King K. Rool (46)
Ridley (44)
Isaac (33)
King K Rool (30)
Spring Man (28)
Decidueye (25)
Paper Mario (24)
Rex (23)
Bandana Dee (20)
Impa (15)
Midna (12)
Geno (11)
Krystal (11)
Captain Toad (9)
Toad (9)
Lyn (8)
Springman (8)
King Boo (8)
Bandana Waddle Dee (7)
Ribbon Girl (7)
Dixie Kong (6)
Chibi-Robo (6)
Celica (6)
Skull Kid (6)
Cappy (6)
Hector (6)
Min Min (5)
Elma (5)
Funky Kong (5)
Rex and Pyra/Mythra (5)
Tingle (5)
Pyra (5)
Chibi Robo (5)
Dark Samus (5)
Fawful (5)
Ninten (5)
Waluigi (5)
Hades (5)
Birdo (4)
Spring man (4)
Urbosa (4)
Ephraim (4)
Chrom (4)
Tetra (4)
Mythra (4)
Isaac (Golden Sun) (4)
Zant (4)
Sylux (4)
Rex (3)
Takamaru (3)
Rex and Pyra (3)
waluigi (3)
Bandanna Dee (3)
Isaac from Golden Sun (3)
K Rool (3)
Mipha (3)
K. Rool (3)
Professor Layton (3)
Waddle Dee (3)
Vaati (3)
Viridi (3)
Shovel Knight (3)
Karate Joe (3)
Dillon (3)
Phoenix Wright (3)
Marx (3)
Goku (3)
Saki Amamiya (3)
Isabelle (3)
Slippy Toad (2)
Gengar (2)
Ganon (2)
Starfy (2)
Sidon (2)
Rex & Pyra (2)
None (2)
Reggie (2)
Sceptile (2)
Tom Nook (2)
King k rool (2)
Lycanroc (2)
ARMS (2)
Bandanna Waddle Dee (2)
Spring-Man (2)
Shy Guy (2)
Daruk (2)
Toon Ganondorf (2)
Anna (Fire Emblem) (2)
Ribbon girl (2)
King K.Rool (2)
dixie kong (2)
Mayor Pauline (2)
K.Rool (2)
king k rool (2)
Rex from XC2 (2)
bandana dee (2)
Lanky Kong (2)
Lip (2)
Issac (2)
Other (312)

Also don't let the occasional third-party throw you, this was the section for Nintendo characters.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/84x9go/rsmashbros_smash_switch_character_survey/

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
33 votes for "Isaac", 4 votes for "Isaac (Golden Sun)", 3 votes for "Isaac from Golden Sun", and 2 votes for "Issac".

I love it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm gonna make a prediction.

Ice Climbers will be back, but, I think they won't be seperate-able. I think they will still walk and attack side by side, but they will always be together. I could see this as something Sakurai would do to more easily balance stuff with them, and I forsee a lot of anger towards that decision if it happens.
If Sakurai cannot fix the double grab issue, I don't even want the Ice Climbers back.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
While I certainly agree with you. We're merely scrapping the surface of Street Fighter music. Chun-Li and Blanka's themes are practically musts are far as I'm concerned.

ALSO, if I had it my way, Street Fighter 3: Third Strikes whole OST would be on the Ryu stage. At least Jazzy NYC.

I'd also be happy with even more Mega Man music. There needed to be a bit of branching out past the first 3 Mega Man games. Smash 4 was off to a good start though.
Yeah, if SF3 were to get a track, Jazzy NYC is the track to pick, no question.

I'd love for at least one MMX track too.

Honestly, now that I think about it, a medley from each series post Mega Man Classic would be awesome so multiple bases can be covered with one track; although, that'd probably make me hungry for more remixes outside of Classic Mega Man, especially if certain tracks were to be apart of the hypothetical remix.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
If Sakurai cannot fix the double grab issue, I don't even want the Ice Climbers back.
If you mean Chain Grabs, yeah, I think they were fixed overall for the entire roster in Smash 4, right? I think he would make sure they could not do that anymore. Which is nice, that is one of the most boring things to watch when it comes to Melee and Brawl competetive stuff. The chain grabs. :/

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
When people think of Smash Switch upgrading from the Wii U/3DS version, everyone thinks about Ice Climbers.

But the thing I want back is SIX PIKMIN.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
This is a bad opinion, but an opinion you are allowed to have.

That said, fan reception seems to be pretty positive and its getting great reviews.

So, eventually we'll get some content in Smash.
Yesterday I was at Toys R Us, and they sold 4 copies in about half an hour.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Infernape's my choice for a Fire starter. I even made a moveset for him once, that I'll edit the post with.

Here it is:
It has a style similar to :4diddy:. It focuses on throwing extremely fast Mach Punches.
  • Neutral Attack: Does a Mach Punch. 5%. To follow, Infernape releases a fury of Mach Punches like :4littlemac:'s jab, except each of these punches sends out a wave that extends a small range in front of Infernape's fist.
  • Dash Attack: Jumps and kicks. 3%.
  • Forward Tilt: Does a spinning tail whip. 2%.
  • Up Tilt: Flips and kicks while standing on a hand. 4%.
  • Down Tilt: Sweeps with its tail. 2%.
  • Forward Smash: Throws a Mach Punch while sliding forward a little. 5-15%. Has little starting or cooling time.
  • Up Smash: The fire on its head shoots up. 7-11%.
  • Down Smash: Throws a series of Mach Punches downwards. 9-15%. Has little starting or cooling time.
  • Neutral Aerial: Spins while hitting with its tail. 3% in the front, 4% in the back.
  • Forward Aerial: Throws a Mach Punch while traveling a small distance. 4%.
  • Up Aerial: Flip kicks. 3%.
  • Back Aerial: Throws a strong Mach Punch with short range. 8%.
  • Down Aerial: Does two forward punches, doing a full downwards flip after each one. The first one does 3%. The second one is a Mach Punch that meteor smashes and does 5%.
  • Grab: Does a Mach Punch, but grabs instead of punching. It's the fastest grab, but has some of the shortest range.
  • Forward Throw: Jumps and throws. 4%.
  • Up Throw: Does a Mach Punch as an uppercut. 5%.
  • Back Throw: Kicks them back. 3%.
  • Down Throw: Burns them three times, with the first burn doing 3%, the second doing 4%, and the third doing 5%.

• Neutral Special: Fire Punch. Charges some fire into its fist, then releases it in a Falcon Punch-like attack, with a large fireball covering its fist. 10%, with a sweetspot of 15% in the fist. Pressing A while the fire is charging turns the attack into a Mach Punch of 7% damage, that sends Infernape sliding forwards.
  • Side Special: Taunt. Makes a mocking face (akanbe). Opponents in a short range facing Infernape can only use damaging moves for the next three seconds.
  • Up Special: Flame Wheel. If in the air, curls into a wheel while shooting up and causing 2% burn damage to opponents who touch it. If on the ground, curls into a wheel and charges up, able to roll around and attack. The speed is charged, while the damage with each hit is always 4%. Infernape can jump and cancel while rolling just like :4sonic:'s Spin Dash.
  • Down Special: Thunder Punch. Charges some electricity into its fist, then releases it in a punch for 5%. It is much faster than Fire Punch in both charge and punch, and it also stuns the opponent. Pressing A while the electricity is charging turns the attack into a Mach Punch of 5% damage, that sends Infernape sliding forwards with more range than Fire Punch's Mach Punch.
  • Final Smash: Fire Spin. A vortex of fire appears around it, trapping anybody who touches it and dealing them hits of 4%. The fire expands outwards.
I really like Mach Punch.

Last edited:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Fennekin or Litten

Any WarioWare character; everyone in that series except for Wario and MAYBE Ashley are bland, stupid, or both.
Calling Mona bland/stupid deserves a paddling.

I'll never understand why people care so much about some goth witch loli.

Also, how would Fennekin or Kitten attack? Whit those limbs? HA!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom