• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If I ever have the urge to buy one of those pro controllers, i'm selling my left kidney. I'd still not have enough money to buy a pro controller though.
Damn boy, you need to take better care of your organs!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I seem to enjoy a lot of my Switch-games with 8Bitdo's SFC30 Pro. Not only cheaper, but does plenty what the Switch Pro Controller can do while packing very beloved retro design on top:

It's bit buggy on Splatoon 2 however, for unknown reasons. :ohwell:
Oh god, that SNES look is giving me flashbacks of my childhood!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Except he perfectly fits the bill of an anti-hero.

He accidentally does some good when he just wants his money back or whatever selfish reason he has in his games.
Yeah, for the most part, Wario really doesn't meet the villain criteria anymore, despite of his rivalry towards the Mario Bros.. He actually does some heroic actions, even if it's just for his own selfish gain, so Wario's status as an anti-hero is pretty much justified.

D

Deleted member

Wario isn't good, but besides being a selfish jerk who would sell his friends in a heartbeat for a few gold coins, he's kinda harmless. He's never really done anything that would warrant him being called "evil".
He's never done anything to warrant being called a hero though, his goals are selfish and the ways he does to reach it aren't exactly "good".
He's definitely Chaotic Evil, doing whatever benefits him the most, without consideration for others.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
One thing's for sure, Inklings probably scored high on the Smash ballot. Maybe they even outranked Bayo, but they held them back for Smash 5.

But here's the question... who else scored high?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
He's never done anything to warrant being called a hero though, his goals are selfish and the ways he does to reach it aren't exactly "good".
Which is exactly the kind of thing you'd see an anti-hero do.

Anti-heroes are people who do heroic things, but not necessarily for heroic reasons or by using heroic methods.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4ganondorf: are villains through and through.

:4darkpit::4wario::4metaknight::4mewtwo::wolf: have their own moral code, play by their own rules and have their own end game, whether it be greed, honor, or revenge.

:4dedede: isn't a bad guy, just gets possessed a lot and is really greedy.

:4dk::4mario: are rivals. Circumstances made them the villain of the other's story.

I can't believe I really dedicated time to this.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
One thing's for sure, Inklings probably scored high on the Smash ballot. Maybe they even outranked Bayo, but they held them back for Smash 5.

But here's the question... who else scored high?
I'd like to imagine Banjo-Kazooie was highly requested. That tweet from Phil Spencer got a lot of buzz for good reason. Plus, given how friendly Nintendo and Microsoft have been regarding cross-play, I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to putting in the bear and bird. Definitely Snake, but Konami is the big roadblock to his inclusion. Unfortunately.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
It's definitely hard to tell who scored what, especially since there's a (presumably) very large portion of Smash fans never have really voiced their opinions online or voted in fan ballots/etc;

A lot of casual fans and just less the vocal/active on sites like these and Reddit. We unfortunately don't know specifics on how big this group actually was and how specifically much of the voters it took up.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Really? That’s so weird, I can go literal weeks without charging mine and neither one will die. When they do finally need to be plugged in, it takes maaaaybe two hours before they’re fully charged again. It’s stupid convenient. Maybe I just got lucky with mine?

Again, I’m sorry; I know I sound like a shameless plug for Nintendo with these things, but I really love my controllers. :laugh:
I like the pro controller, especially the big buttons, but the sticks rub against the plastic edges and the joycons dont do that and I feel like im hurting the controller over time which bums me out, the d pad doesnt bother me but admittedly i havent played a ton of d pad heavy games with it and i know people complain about the pro controller d pad.

I seem to enjoy a lot of my Switch-games with 8Bitdo's SFC30 Pro. Not only cheaper, but does plenty what the Switch Pro Controller can do while packing very beloved retro design on top:

It's bit buggy on Splatoon 2 however, for unknown reasons. :ohwell:
I want one of these so bad, I like the multicolor look but the concave purple NA version is what i grew up with and I always liked the concave X/Y buttons feeling different than the B/A buttons , debating which one to go with...

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
So, an update on that whole Ridley rumor.

Take for what you will. Maybe the whole thing is full of hot air.
like memoryman apparently is from what others have said about them. They started the GameFAQs thread after all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Which is exactly the kind of thing you'd see an anti-hero do.

Anti-heroes are people who do heroic things, but not necessarily for heroic reasons or by using heroic methods.
No, you're missing the whole point of an anti-hero. Anti-heroes are still good, they just have unconventional methods to achieving them.

Best example is Batman, who is the Trope Image in the TV Tropes page: a vigilante who will work outside the law for the greater good.
At mostz they'll simply be people who care for themselves and close ones, without any of the heroic jazz.
An anti-hero is either Neutral Good, Chaotic Good or Chaotic Neutral.

Wario cares only for himself, him doing good deeds was just because it went into accord of his own plans, it was never because he wanted to save anyone, which fits him perfectly into Chaotic Evil.

D

Deleted member

I stumbled upon the Smash section of GameFAQs a few times.
They latch onto more nonexistent patterns than us.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
So, an update on that whole Ridley rumor.

Take for what you will.
Unlike the RCE response (since their posts in Discord were very obviously mostly speculation) I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was just in response to the information about ERA mods knowing about the Smash reveal/Inklings/Ridley coming out. It obviously made enough of a dent to make them post this, possibly?

Of course, I don't have any real evidence for this so take it with a grain of salt... and since I've already taken the original posts with a grain of salt, this doesn't make too much of a difference in how I view the possibility Ridley getting in.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Oh god, that SNES look is giving me flashbacks of my childhood!
It definitely does - I dunno if to recommend the controller right away though. Some customers have had problems with it upon getting it. However, what it delivers is very competent and satisfying. :4pacman:

He's definitely Chaotic Evil, doing whatever benefits him the most, without consideration for others.
I remember him having a soft spot though in Wario Land II - in a form a giant hen that he keeps near his castle.

Apparently was so precious that he stopped pursuing his stolen treasure just to get it back on it's nest:

And well, he's still amicable enough to join Mario on various sports and even saving Peach on SM64DS - though who knows, maybe that was still for his own gain of that delish cake in the end. IDK.

Wario's Anti-hero status is awesome to me though, espcially after him getting beaten by Mario back in his debut appearance. The big guy just wises up and decides to build up his own mountain of riches instead of trying to antagonize (to predictably no avail) against his rival. And boy, how awesome his legacy got ever since.

And he's still WarioWare-esque self in Smash-games I'll just stop here before I get sentimental

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Best example is Batman, who is the Trope Image in the TV Tropes page: a vigilante who will work outside the law for the greater good.
Batman is holding a gun and about to shoot in that picture though...

Also, by your logic, the entire ****ing Justice League is a bunch of anti-heroes.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Unlike the RCE response (since their posts in Discord were very obviously mostly speculation) I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was just in response to the information about ERA mods knowing about the Smash reveal/Inklings/Ridley coming out. It obviously made enough of a dent to make them post this, possibly?

Of course, I don't have any real evidence for this so take it with a grain of salt... and since I've already taken the original posts with a grain of salt, this doesn't make too much of a difference in how I view the possibility Ridley getting in.
For now, I think it's best to assume that everything was just pure speculation and move on from the rumor. It could be damage control, but we don't really have anything to support that theory.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sometimes it just feels good to be that one person who never looks at GameFAQs's message boards anymore.
Remember when the ESRB-leak came out and folks in GameFAQs all flocked around wondering what was talked behind the Leak Sub-forums?

Good times.

I want one of these so bad, I like the multicolor look but the concave purple NA version is what i grew up with and I always liked the concave X/Y buttons feeling different than the B/A buttons , debating which one to go with...
Why not both? Though you have a point there, maybe get one you grew up with and 2nd for two-player gaming and having options.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Wasn't there an event in Brawl where you had to fight villains? If I remember correctly Wario was among the opponents you had to fight.

D

Deleted member

Batman is holding a gun and about to shoot in that picture though...

Also, by your logic, the entire ****ing Justice League is a bunch of anti-heroes.
What about him shooting disproves my point?

And where the hell did you get that about the Justice League being anti-heroes? They're not vigilantes, Batman is.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Wasn't there an event in Brawl where you had to fight villains? If I remember correctly Wario was among the opponents you had to fight.
Is this the one you looked for?

Co-Op Event 20: The Final Battle for Two

It also includes Meta Knight however, and the description talks more about rivals though.

The regular one for single player features Bowser, Ganondorf and Dedede respectively instead.

It always comes full circle, doesn't it?
Well, it at least lasted for a mere day now, compared to weeks of speculation. Cheers.

*Pops the cork*

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That specific event match's description says, "A fierce battle with nasty rivals! You can't lose now!" As such, you're not necessarily fighting villains only, but also rivals, and anti-heroes.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Speaking of fighting villains, I really miss boss fights and the boss rush mode from Subspace Emissary. Maybe even more than the main mode itself...

I would seriously love for something like that to return.

Being able to fight Porky, Meta-Ridley, and Petey whenever was amazing... and the sheer size of some of the bosses felt so great fighting them in Smash.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Let's be honest though. There's rarely something as a true villain. Just narcissistic beings who happen to be powerful, nothing wrong with that. We all have our flaws...

Is this the one you looked for?

Co-Op Event 20: The Final Battle for Two

It also includes Meta Knight however, and the description talks more about rivals though.

The regular one for single player features Bowser, Ganondorf and Dedede respectively instead.
Yeah, that's the one. Oh well... atleast we know Wario's not considerd pure of heart by Nintendo.

D

Deleted member

I do hope we get a Boss Mode back, but for the love of God, include more actual Nintendo bosses. SSE hsd, what? Petey, Porky, Ridley and Rayquaza? The rest were simply Smash OCs.
I don't mind the OC final bosses but I'd like to see more iconic bosses from all the games in Smash because there's so much to work with.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Speaking of fighting villains, I really miss boss fights and the boss rush mode from Subspace Emissary. Maybe even more than the main mode itself...

Being able to fight Porky, Meta-Ridley, and Petey whenever was amazing... and the sheer size of some of the bosses felt so great fighting them in Smash.

Not having the boss fight mode on the Wii U was such a missed opportunity. One player could control the boss character with the GamePad, and 1-4 others with Wiimotes, Pro Controllers, or GCN Controllers would fight back as regular characters.

Would’ve been a great chance to have that asymmetrical gameplay that Nintendo said the Wii U was all about, even if it didn’t happen that much.

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet
What are the chances of the Real break the targets coming back in this game, each character gets there own stage, awesome music, etc.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I remember putting a lot of hours into Boss Battles mode with my brother trying to get through it on Intense difficulty. Can't remember if we ever got it down, but it was tons of fun to progress on it little by little.

Brawl just had the best game modes in general, the only thing that kind of sucked was that they moved away from character specific Break the Targets stages, but at least it was better than not having it at all like Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

What are the chances of the Real break the targets coming back in this game, each character gets there own stage, awesome music, etc.
I had forgotten Break the Targets was missing in Smash 4.
While I don't believe we'll see character specific stages(it would be WAY too many), I hope we at least see the mode making a return.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
It could be neat to see a somewhat randomized Break the Targets, similar to how the Mario Maker stage works.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I know I'm not the first to say this but calling it: they said bayo won ballot but in reality, they wanted to save the more likely winners for smash switch. I mean, why else did they completely avoid telling us the top 10, or even 5?

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
One thing's for sure: the models and functions from enemies of Smash Run should be reused to bolster the next Adventure Mode's enemy selection.

Do wonder what kind of Adventure Mode we'd get incase it's being developed for this game right now...

I had forgotten Break the Targets was missing in Smash 4.
While I don't believe we'll see character specific stages(it would be WAY too many), I hope we at least see the mode making a return.
I really loved invidual stages for each character's Break The Targets - Brawl's got too repetitive and had very bland designs to it too. Target Blast was bit all over the place too, so IDK about that - maybe they could build on that mode some more?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
What about him shooting disproves my point?
I think the reason the picture is the way it is is because it's about Batman breaking his own moral code (aka no killing).

With that said, he can still be an anti-hero, but not every anti-hero is gonna be like him. There's more than one mold for the trope, y'know.

And where the hell did you get that about the Justice League being anti-heroes? They're not vigilantes, Batman is.
Yeah... I exaggerated a bit for that one. Sorry about that :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom