• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Reminder that Dedede hasn't been a true villain since he stole food in Spring Breeze AKA Kirby's Dream Land ****ing 2.0
Actually I'm pretty sure he's the villain in Battle Royale and Blowout Blast. And he's had enough boss fights to count and he's still clearly meant to be Kirby's rival.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
He's the antagonist of F-Zero GX, the latest console F-Zero game.

You know who Black Shadow is but not them...?
Black Shadow is frequently used here as the character to port Ganondorf's moveset to. Whereas Deathborn... well, that might be one of the first times he's been mentioned here

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Actually I'm pretty sure he's the villain in Battle Royale and Blowout Blast. And he's had enough boss fights to count and he's still clearly meant to be Kirby's rival.
Spin-offs. And he's helped Kirby more times than not.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Villain/Rival/Antagonist.... they're not at all the same, but yet we use them as the same thing in Smash-talk.

Then again, we also confuse relevance with recency, and likely with personally conceivable.

I should make a Smashtalk vocabulary lesson.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Black Shadow is frequently used here as the character to port Ganondorf's moveset to. Whereas Deathborn... well, that might be one of the first times he's been mentioned here
Touche! Deathborn definitely serves as higher tier in F-Zero as far as that goes anyways IMO.

Even his pilot profile disses Black Shadow.

"This mysterious pilot makes even Black Shadow, the evil Emperor, shudder with fear."

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Oh hey another Aussie

I'm sure what part of Australia you're from so it could be earlier for you, but I find it funny you post that when it's actually quite late right now.

I should probably get to sleep
Down in Melbourne, so it's 11.30. I work 8-5 each day but I'm pretty used to operating on 7 hours sleep.

At least, the Joy-Cons have shoulder buttons.

That's gotta count for something, right? :lol:

Yeah, the Joy-Cons will be usable, and as others mentioned, they'll be a fine option for having friends over and playing multiplayer.

I love the Switch Pro Controller. I can't wait to use it for Smash!

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Honestly, at this point, if Ridley is indeed a playable character in this new Smash, I'd feel more happy for his all time fans than for myself. They are passionate and they would earn it.
Also call me delussional or whatever, but the air feels different this time around, it feels like it's gonna happen this time.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Also call me delussional or whatever, but the air feels different this time around, it feels like it's gonna happen this time.
Air?

This is an Internet website, dude. There's no air here.

If the air is really different on your end, I think that's a problem with your environment.

/s

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
While I definitely don't think he's likely by any stretch, I have to say I agree.

The whole "clean slate" of a new game coming out, Metroid coming back out of the Other M slump with games like FF, Samus Returns, and Prime 4...

Samus Returns making Ridley's proportions way more manageable, along with making him the final boss and cementing Prime as canon.

It's definitely 100× more possible than it ever was going to in Smash 4, even with the ballot. We'll have to see whether Pyrosphere gets confirmed or not before launch (or a reveal), because I think that's really going to be the factor that tells us more than anything else could.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Down in Melbourne, so it's 11.30. I work 8-5 each day but I'm pretty used to operating on 7 hours sleep.

Yeah, the Joy-Cons will be usable, and as others mentioned, they'll be a fine option for having friends over and playing multiplayer.

I love the Switch Pro Controller. I can't wait to use it for Smash!
Yes.... but the Joy Con's could easily have some weird, required motion sensor to act in place of a missing button.

So if it were needed in place of the D-Pad, it still could be done with gesture.

D

Deleted member

Absolutely positive that this rumor will be confirmed fake soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Maybe he browses Smashboards using VR? And he's not on the Internet, he's IN the Internet.

/s
I think you just blew my mind...

Yes, I'm fully aware that there's a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, and last I've checked, it's more expensive than the Wii U Pro Controller.
Which makes sense when you realize it has a gyroscope and a NFC reader, two things the Wii U Pro Controller lack.

Last edited:

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
While I definitely don't think he's likely by any stretch, I have to say I agree.

The whole "clean slate" of a new game coming out, Metroid coming back out of the Other M slump with games like FF, Samus Returns, and Prime 4...

Samus Returns making Ridley's proportions way more manageable, along with making him the final boss and cementing Prime as canon.

It's definitely 100x more possible than it ever was going to in Smash 4, even with the ballot. We'll have to see whether Pyrosphere gets confirmed or not before launch (or a reveal), because I think that's really going to be the factor that tells us more than anything else could.
I mean, I'm not on the "Ridley is definitely confirmed" train because of the leak (I hope none of us are) but I don't think that'd deconfirm anything if Pyrosphere returns. Correct me if I'm wrong but Other M ridley is completely different from the other Ridleys we know. Isn't Other M Ridley a clone? Both can coexist in the game if the leak turns out to be genuine.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Yes, I'm fully aware that there's a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, and last I've checked, it's more expensive than the Wii U Pro Controller.
I believe you can get them for about the same price as the Wii U one's were at launch, however I definitely think they're worth the price gap.

They are leagues ahead of the Wii U one. Night and day difference, in my honest, oversized-handed opinion lol.

Not to mention stuff like the NFC reader, gyro, etc;!

I mean, I'm not on the "Ridley is definitely confirmed" train because of the leak (I hope none of us are) but I don't think that'd deconfirm anything if Pyrosphere returns. Correct me if I'm wrong but Other M ridley is completely different from the other Ridleys we know. Isn't Other M Ridley a clone? Both can coexist in the game if the leak turns out to be genuine.
You're actually correct, I never thought of that! I have to wonder how Nintendo would feel about that, though, as they've always kind of treated both versions of Ridley as a single entity in Smash.

That definitely gives me slightly more hope, but I believe a Pyrosphere reveal would still feel like a 90% chance of killing Ridley being playable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really wish they'd update the Switch to be compatible with the Wii U Pro Controllers, they are my absolute favorite controller.
And yeah, there's the Switch Pro Controller but I bought two Wii U ones back in the day for the price of one of them.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well here we go again, new Smash, new visit to Smashboards.

Looking forward to the next game, but... who's still haunting here...? I see quite a few of you.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I really wish they'd update the Switch to be compatible with the Wii U Pro Controllers, they are my absolute favorite controller.
And yeah, there's the Switch Pro Controller but I bought two Wii U ones back in the day for the price of one of them.
Watch as Nintendo decides to create a Pro Controller shaped after a GameCube controller instead :troll:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Villain/Rival/Antagonist.... they're not at all the same, but yet we use them as the same thing in Smash-talk.
:4bowser::4ganondorf: = villains and main antagonists

:4wario::4metaknight:= rivals

:4darkpit:= anti-hero

:4mewtwo:= ???
Absolutely positive that this rumor will be confirmed fake soon.
Pyrosphere was revealed in August 2013. We didn't get a clear answer on Ridley's role in Smash 4 until October 2014.

Don't ever count on getting answers soon.
Other M Ridley (or "Roidley" as a few people affectionately call him) is a clone of the real Ridley. He's completely separate from normal Ridley, but seeing them together in the same place would still be weird.

But Smash has had weirder things I suppose.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Watch as Nintendo decides to create a Pro Controller shaped after a GameCube controller instead :troll:
Okay, but a wireless Gamecube controller with gyro and NFC support, along with being able to push the sticks down? I'd use that in a heartbeat, especially for MK8DX.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I believe you can get them for about the same price as the Wii U one's were at launch, however I definitely think they're worth the price gap.

They are leagues ahead of the Wii U one. Night and day difference, in my honest, oversized-handed opinion lol.

Not to mention stuff like the NFC reader, gyro, etc;!
At least the one pro about the Wii U Pro Controller was that you don't have to buy any extra accessories for it. GCN controller users were literally out of luck if they couldn't find the GCN controller adapter, which is probably impossible to come across now with the Wii U's lifespan being over.

But even then, you could only use the GCN controller for a single Wii U game, while the Wii U Pro Controller could be used in a lot more Wii U games, including Breath of the Wild.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pyrosphere was revealed in August 2013. We didn't get a clear answer on Ridley's role in Smash 4 until October 2014.

Don't ever count on getting answers soon.
Then replace "soon" with "eventually".
Doesn't change my point.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
This is the first time im NOT in school for smash speculation.

Melee came out while I was in my first year of highschool (no speculation for me back then beyond what nintendo power was telling me), I got heavy into Brawl speculation right after highscool when I was first starting college on here and other forums at the time, then smash 4 happened when i went BACK to school to get my degree and my most wanted character Little Mac got announced while I was on my computer in the student lounge of my dorm doing homework.

Now finally I dont have to study or be up for classes or anything like that this time around. though I will say I loved speculating last time cause I was working part time at a retro gaming store on the weekends (sadly went out of business last year) and every time more news or leaks or anything happened It was what everyone at work was talking about.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I splurged back when MK8D came out and bought a Switch Pro Controller, then got another one later on. I can comfortably say that the Switch Pro Controller is my favorite gaming controller of anything I’ve ever used, even the GC Controller. It’s SO comfortable, the buttons and triggers are the perfect size, the motion controls work great... I’m never going back to anything else for this Smash.
(yes I know I sound like an advertisement)

They are pricy as h*ck though (I had some old birthday/Christmas money saved up), so I realize that sadly not everyone can appreciate the beauties. :ohwell:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Other M Ridley (or "Roidley" as a few people affectionately call him) is a clone of the real Ridley. He's completely separate from normal Ridley, but seeing them together in the same place would still be weird.
Petition to change Other M Ridley's fan nickname from "Roidley" to "Gorilla Jock"

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
:4bowser::4ganondorf: = villains and main antagonists

:4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig: = supporting antagonists

:4metaknight::4dedede:= rivals

:4wario:= anti-hero

:4darkpit::wolf: = rivalrous anti-heroes (basically a combination of the two above)

:4mewtwo:= neutral
Fixed a few things for you.
  • It's been a while since Wario has been an actual rival to Mario (not counting spinoffs and even then, I think it's usually Bowser in those), so he's more of an anti-hero now.
  • Dark Pit is technically both a rival and an anti-hero, so I made up a category that's both.
  • Added Junior and the Koopalings (sounds like a music band name lol)
  • Added Wolf for the lolz (the category I chose is because of Assault)
  • Added Dedede because how dare you forget someone so perfect? :p
  • Mewtwo is kind of neutral, I think
EDIT: Changes were made

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I splurged back when MK8D came out and bought a Switch Pro Controller, then got another one later on. I can comfortably say that the Switch Pro Controller is my favorite gaming controller of anything I’ve ever used, even the GC Controller. It’s SO comfortable, the buttons and triggers are the perfect size, the motion controls work great... I’m never going back to anything else for this Smash.
(yes I know I sound like an advertisement)

They are pricy as h*ck though (I had some old birthday/Christmas money saved up), so I realize that sadly not everyone can appreciate the beauties. :ohwell:
I bought one.... and almost never use it. I find it is never charged when I need it.
Maybe I will have space to leave it plugged in once I finally put away the Wii U.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
If I ever have the urge to buy one of those pro controllers, i'm selling my left kidney. I'd still not have enough money to buy a pro controller though.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I couldn't really play Mario Kart 8 without the GamePad, as the item spy feature can help you plan your item usage better. The lack of item spy in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was one of the reasons that I've found the Switch port to not be as good as the original Wii U game; there are other reasons too, but this probably isn't the place to talk about that.

D

Deleted member

Wario is nowhere near close to being an anti-hero, he's a villain protagonist, because I refuse to accept someone telling me that he has any sort of redeeming qualities.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I bought one.... and almost never use it. I find it is never charged when I need it.
Maybe I will have space to leave it plugged in once I finally put away the Wii U.
Really? That’s so weird, I can go literal weeks without charging mine and neither one will die. When they do finally need to be plugged in, it takes maaaaybe two hours before they’re fully charged again. It’s stupid convenient. Maybe I just got lucky with mine?

Again, I’m sorry; I know I sound like a shameless plug for Nintendo with these things, but I really love my controllers. :laugh:

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Wario is nowhere near close to being an anti-hero, he's a villain protagonist, because I refuse to accept someone telling me that he has any sort of redeeming qualities.
Wario isn't good, but besides being a selfish jerk who would sell his friends in a heartbeat for a few gold coins, he's kinda harmless. He's never really done anything that would warrant him being called "evil".

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wario is a greedy pig, but he will go so far as to save an entire kingdom if it means getting his hands on a lot of treasure. While he may not be the nicest person out there, at least Wario did the Shake Dimension a favor by putting an end to the Shake King's tyranny.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Except he perfectly fits the bill of an anti-hero.

He accidentally does some good when he just wants his money back or whatever selfish reason he has in his games.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Wario isn't good, but besides being a selfish jerk who would sell his friends in a heartbeat for a few gold coins, he's kinda harmless. He's never really done anything that would warrant him being called "evil".
Didn't he steal Mario's castle originally? Like, as in his introduction to the series originally?

I definitely think Wario blurs the lines between villain and anti-hero though. He's greedy and selfish and mean, but nothing compared to Bowser at this point.

The worst thing Wario has ever done by far, though, is not using any of his other outfits as costumes in Smash. They're just so good.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Didn't he steal Mario's castle originally? Like, his introduction to the series originally?

I definitely think Wario blurs the lines between villain and anti-hero though. He's greedy and selfish and mean, but nothing compared to Bowser at this point.
I mean... his debut game is the only time he's ever been a villain.

If you wanna use one-offs as proof that people are truly villains, then I guess Mario is one too because of Donkey Kong Jr.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I seem to enjoy a lot of my Switch-games with 8Bitdo's SFC30 Pro. Not only cheaper, but does plenty what the Switch Pro Controller can do while packing very beloved retro design on top:

It's bit buggy on Splatoon 2 however, for unknown reasons. :ohwell:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom