• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
People were even skeptical about the 3DS leak.
Oh yeah I remember some people being SO adamant and (basically) calling others stupid for believing it. Shulk was just a photoshopped Little Mac, Duck Hunt was *obviously* not in it, etc. I remember I believed it, but was too afraid to admit it so I lied and said I didn't lol. I didn't want to be mocked :')

If Cloud was replaced with Sora what would you guys think?
On the one hand, Cloud is currently my favorite smasher
On the other, Sora is somone i've wanted since melee.

Would really come down to if I can enjoy Sora's moveset as much as I adore Cloud's I guess lol
(Not like this situation could ever logically happen. . .)
:061:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sakurai went as far as removing gravity to get the Ice Climbers to work on the 3DS. If the Ice Climbers and 8-Player Smash are mutually exclusive, it's not the Ice Climbers that are getting dropped.

We struggled with Disney licencing to include ANYTHING Kingdom Hearts-related in Disney Infinity. Yes, our OWN TEAM, haha. I doubt Sora will be negotiable for Smash.
Completely off topic but man I wish that Peter Pan, Doctor Strange, and Goofy got released before DI got cancelled. All the concept art for their figures looked gorgeous and knowing that prototype/display versions of Peter Pan physically existed hurts still.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Completely off topic but man I wish that Peter Pan, Doctor Strange, and Goofy got released before DI got cancelled. All the concept art for their figures looked gorgeous and knowing that prototype/display versions of Peter Pan physically existed hurts still.
Completely off topic, but I man I wish I still had a job there. LOL sorry, got too real for a second.

ANYWAYS.

Mickey Mouse for Sma5h.

Wait what? Explain
Ice Climbers were never going to work on 3ds basically

couldn’t get them to work no matter how hard I tried: I removed as many joints as I possibly could, and even when I removed certain effects, like gravity, they still wouldn’t work. Olimar and his Pikmin were also extremely difficult, but I managed to at least get them to work.
https://sourcegaming.info/2015/07/09/i-answer-some-questions-sakurai-famitsu-column-vol-461-464/

LoboRundas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoboRundas
3DS FC
4098-3496-0921
Switch FC
SW 6696 1795 2392
D

Deleted member

You know what we need in For Glory, a ranking system. It organizes and makes it more fair for the competitive players. Yes, the casuals who want to fight good players in FG would complain, but the benefit of making For Glory more organized based on skill is honestly worth it to be honest. For Fun should not have a ranking system. I hope they add rank "X" in Smash in Switch for the ranking system, because that would be a nice reference and touch from Splatoon.
Doc Louis to Little Mac PLEASE!
We need to get this message to Sakurai. I will also hope for an ARMS crossover like a FE crossover in Palutena's Guidance.
Sora is owned by Disney, not Square-Enix. Can confirm as a former Disney employee, LOL.
Off-topic but woah, that is interesting!
Sora honestly needs more love from Disney.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Lampy has a point. Except for Bayonetta, all of the third-party franchises are more important and iconic than most of Nintendo's franchises. Even Mega Man is going to be more well-known than the majority of Nintendo characters already in. The fact that third-parties not only returned but also brought back Sonic from last game and added five in addition to him is a testaments to how they strengthen the Smash game. If the axe third-parties, they will lost a significant portion of sales because they will have failed to meet other people's expectations. Even in a reboot, it's an extremely high-risk scenario with low rewards.
Half of the six third-party characters we currently have were added through DLC. Unless people were shoving each other out of the way to play with Pac-Man, I highly doubt any of the three base third-party characters can take all the credit for Smash 4 selling so well on launch.

If people were persuaded to buy Smash 4 before Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta were revealed, then I'm sure they'd still end up buying Smash Switch if no new third-party characters got added. Yes, third-party characters are very exciting, but they aren't a crutch that the series desperately needs to survive. If sales truly are effected by a lack of a certain third-party characters, I would imagine said effects would be very minimal.

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Half of the six third-party characters we currently have were added through DLC. Unless people were shoving each other out of the way to play with Pac-Man, I highly doubt any of the three base third-party characters can take all the credit for Smash 4 selling so well on launch.

If people were persuaded to buy Smash 4 before Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta were revealed, then I'm sure they'd still end up buying Smash Switch if no new third-party characters got added. Yes, third-party characters are very exciting, but they aren't a crutch that series needs to survive. If sales truly are effected by a lack of a certain third-party character, I would imagine said effects would be very minimal.
So much this. The reason Smash sells so well is because of the legacy Nintendo has presented with their brand alone. The 3rd party characters are just a bonus.

D

Deleted member

Once you give something to someone, you can't expect to take it out from them and say "well, you were fine without it before".
Once you create characters that now have players, they will get disappointed, and even angry, that you removed them. And that reaction will only get stronger the more popular the character is.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I think we might get Geno this time around. Sakurai has wanted him since Brawl, and I think he's always been skipped over because Sakurai felt there were other big name 3rd party characters worth adding over him. However now that Sakurai feels that most of the big name guest characters from the 80's and 90's worth adding have been added, this might be the time Geno gets in.

Sakurai: At the same time, gamers from that generation (80's and 90's) probably already have all the characters they could want. Mega Man has also joined the fray, so there might not be anyone left.

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Once you give something to someone, you can't expect to take it out from them and say "well, you were fine without it before".
Once you create characters that now have players, they will get disappointed, and even angry, that you removed them. And that reaction will only get stronger the more popular the character is.
That goes for any cut in a reboot situation.

If Geno gets in I will start a movement for Perry the Parasol because apparently importance or moveset potential means squat in that case

Last edited:

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
It's been a while. I've reactivated to discuss and speculate as many others have done so.

Mechonis for Smash, still smaller than Ridley who is too big. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, do you think Shulk will remain in the game... or do you think he will be replaced by those who are more recent additions to the Xenoblade franchise? Despite Shulk having his own move set and all, I feel as if he might simply be replaced by someone like Rex.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Brawl survived without Mewtwo and SSB4 survived without Snake.

As much as it hurts to see a character you like get cut, I highly doubt anyone is going to be offended to the point where they boycott Smash Switch just because Cloud or Bayo isn't in it.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
On a more serious note, do you think Shulk will remain in the game... or do you think he will be replaced by those who are more recent additions to the Xenoblade franchise? Despite Shulk having his own move set and all, I feel as if he might simply be replaced by someone like Rex.
Eh, he'll be back, he's pretty much the Marth of the series. Shulk and Rex are incredibly bland as characters but they both definitely have unique potential to be in the game side by side.

D

Deleted member

I think Shulk will be left in Smash in Switch. Shulk is still fairly popular and he is the one who started Xenoblade Chronicles. He has no huge reason to get cut and fans love him. I think Shulk is safe. Plus it would be cool to see Rex and Shulk together in the battlefield, even though they are both in different worlds.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Eh, he'll be back, he's pretty much the Marth of the series. Shulk and Rex are incredibly bland as characters but they both definitely have unique potential to be in the game side by side.
Are you saying he's bland in his game or in Smash?

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Last time Disney intervened with a fighting game we didn't get any X-men in MvC Infinite. You know... the faces of Marvel vs Capcom.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
OMG! Bandana Dee confirmed!
Real Talk: Do you think Bandana Dee has a shot this time around? I remember you were engaged in... "lively" conversations about him (And I think I made a parody picture splash screen that you didn't appreciate).

I would call you crazy now... but we got Duck Hunt Dog, so anything is possible haha

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Last time Disney intervened with a fighting game we didn't get any X-men in MvC Infinite. You know... the faces of Marvel vs Capcom.
To be fair, Disney basically lets Marvel act completely on its own, so they likely had no hand in the X-Men thing. It's just Marvel's MO.

That goes for any cut in a reboot situation.

If Geno gets in I will start a movement for Perry the Parasol because apparently importance or moveset potential means squat in that case
I dont really care for Geno (i've started to warm up to him recently I guess) but implying he has no moveset potential seems. . .strange.

He's a doll with magic and robot powers. Even just on the concept there is a lot to be done.

D

Deleted member

I really see no reason to cut Shulk, especially when Rex really wouldn't be a suitable replacement moveset wise.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Honestly, I'd be totally fine with 8-player being left out. Would keep prevent us from getting more almost unusable large stages again, and I'd rather have more characters over a mode I never used :p

Like has been said though, Switch is good enough for 8 Ice Climbers if need be.

D

Deleted member

If people were persuaded to buy Smash 4 before Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta were revealed, then I'm sure they'd still end up buying Smash Switch if no new third-party characters got added. Yes, third-party characters are very exciting, but they aren't a crutch that the series desperately needs to survive. If sales truly are effected by a lack of a certain third-party characters, I would imagine said effects would be very minimal.
I guarantee you that Sonic contributed heavily to sales, which is a big reason why we got him back. There has never been a character more wanted than him and on top of that, he's the mascot of Sega, the former rival to Mario. He's also among the most important franchise in video game history for that reason and what keeps Sega's light on the gaming business when their niche franchises cannot. Sonic is their bread and butter and the deal favors Sega and Nintendo far more than it hurts.

I see where you are coming from but consider the expectation Nintendo has to sell Smash. All five games, especially Brawl and 3DS & Wii U, are incredibly successful games that raked in hundreds of millions of dollars and each game have only gotten a bigger budget. That means the stakes are higher than the previous game and the same likely applies to Smash for Switch. Smash, the third or fourth biggest IP (after Mario, Pokémon, and maybe Zelda) is not just a huge franchise, it's a pillarstone that defines each console generation for fans. Smash even affects franchises' future - Fire Emblem being the most prominent example - and set the bar that all crossovers and fighting game series have not even gotten close to follow. When you have thirteen million dollar sales, even supposedly minor mistakes can have major consequences for the franchise and Nintendo as whole. Smash needs to not only thrive, but be the premiere crossover event of the generation and third-parties help with that. To survive would defeat the purpose of making Smash a crucial Nintendo franchise

That's why removing third-parties all together are a bad decision. Even if most of us would buy it again, a significant minority would not. Even cutting Sonic will result in a lot of missing customers because now they don't get to relieve the Mario vs. Sonic rivalry in the latest game. Now imagine no third-parties and you remove one of the biggest hype factors for the game, adding on to disgruntled customers who reasonably expect third-parties. If Nintendo are hoping Smash for Switch will sell 10+ million copies, they may not be able to achieve that without third-parties.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Real Talk: Do you think Bandana Dee has a shot this time around? I remember you were engaged in... "lively" conversations about him (And I think I made a parody picture splash screen that you didn't appreciate).

I would call you crazy now... but we got Duck Hunt Dog, so anything is possible haha
Yeah, I think he has a shot.

I don't remember the picture haha.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Being completely honest, I liked Smash Tour. Does it need more variety? Yes. But I like it in its current state, as bare-bones as it may be. Whenever I have my friend over we always play a round just for fun.

But a lot of the modes do need more expansion.

Literally one person did, and they got shut down in one post (it was a two or three post thread if I recall).

I would say Bayonetta was the most bold prediction. No one thought she would make it, and then she did, and as the ballot winner no less.
Have you ever played SSE?

PlayerOneTyler

To be fair, Disney basically lets Marvel act completely on its own, so they likely had no hand in the X-Men thing. It's just Marvel's MO.
This is true. Also Marvel is a pain in the booty to work with. I think what happened there is the rights to the X-Men belonged to Fox exclusively at the time and there was just a whole headache in that process.

Yo, I'm all for Bandanna Waddle Dee. The more Kirby love the better, especially since it's Sakurai's baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom