• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Are there any cool summoners in the last few years? I just want to play as a summoner, that’s be dope

Morbi

Scavenger
That does not make my point untrue. It just means that you do not agree. I was talking about what the difference between it being a port and it being a new game is to me. If the engine is (nearly) the same then that means Smash Bros. is another step in the opposite direction of Wii U owners. I just will not pay 300 (Switch) + 60 (any game) + 80 (Pro controller) euros for what is essentially DLC for games I have already bought.

I still completely disagree. If it is not something you think is worth discussing, then that doesn't mean the same is true for others. To me, it being a port would mean I wouldn't really care for this, imo, falsely advertised DLC. If this is a new game, then that means a legitimately new game for the Switch, and thus possibly another reason to buy the console.
Nintendrone's have been defending Nintendo's anti-consumer practices for years. They feel justified in doing so because "it is not as bad as their competitors" which is often times false as is. The only real difference is Nintendo has a degree of quality assurance; however, as you stated, more or less making DLC for a game we already own and expecting people to purchase a new system is about as bad as it gets. But we accept it, because we are Smash fans.

Do not get me wrong, if you are strong enough to not purchase it, more power to you. But just to put things into perspective, more people played Breath of the Wild on the Switch. It actually makes no logical sense. If you were a Wii U owner, there was no reason to go out and buy a console for a port. In fact, half (probably more) of their line-up the year of release was... ports. The only people that should have reasonably purchased a Switch were people without a Wii U, Splatoon fans (same scenario as this, funny enough), and players interested in Arms. You could not really justify buying one early for Odyssey as the chance for a price cut during the holiday was there (lmfao, Nintendo, price cut). Beyond Mario Odyssey, the potential in the future was the only reason to buy a Switch at the current time and until the recent direct, I was legitimately starting to worry. Mine has been collecting dust since Odyssey. However, with Smash (and Metroid/Pokemon on the horizon), the investment is finally paying off.

I am the type of person to take the perspective of work put in. I have never been one to call every Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed the same as they have their own 2 plus year dev cycle which is simply too much time for merely "dlc." I still understand your perspective though. The Wii U was treated quite poorly. Everyone loves the Switch when it is just the Wii U 2.0 at the moment. It will definitely surpass the Wii U, most likely once Smash launches, but still. It is easy to see how incompetent or disingenuous most people are merely based on that opinion alone. Oh, the funny part? They thought the same thing would not happen to the 3DS. Ha ha ha... they are so gullible.

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
I agree,.
This is subjective; however, in the case of most third-party characters, the game-play does not seem to have much to do with anything. Sakurai cut Chrom and was hesitant about Corrin and yet made Cloud when the only real difference was a superior KO punch mechanic and a projectile.

Sonic just spins, he has made some iterations, but Sakurai was clearly not tapping into what makes Sonic unique. And while Mega Man and Pacman are love letters to their games, that is just it. He just sort of threw together aspects of their move-set, crammed even, and called it a day.

Snake, which was the first, was the only third-party that felt as though care was put into making it work.

Again, subjective. Maybe you adore one of those characters and believe the play-style is coherent. But for the most part, Banjo and Kazooie is my dream third-party, outside of Goku, and I literally already know the move-set. There would be a couple of moves that are surprises, but other than that, I actually genuinely know what everything would be as the characters are practically ports or just the essence of the character.

So, while Layton does not seem entirely appealing from the game-play perspective, I feel as though people do not care because subconsciously, they realize it does not matter. If the character has a kit, it will be a port. If not, they will just throw something together. It is more about having the character than anything else.

Just my opinion, feel free to disagree.
I agree, many, if not most of the people who are supporting characters want them because of who they are, not the potential movesets.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Are there any cool summoners in the last few years? I just want to play as a summoner, that’s be dope
I mean, there's Kiran, the avatar character and Summoner from Fire Emblem Heroes.
Then again (s)he's a complete non-combatant blank slate who's just supposed to be the player, even more so than the current avatar characters in Smash. But still a canonical summoner that would theoretically fight by summoning heroes from Fire Emblem.
Or Silque/Genny/Tatiana from Shadows of Valentia due to their Invoke move.

D

Deleted member

I agree, many, if not most of the people who are supporting characters want them because of who they are, not the potentially movesets.
Then what's wrong with them being just trophies?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Okay, here's another one: who are some of your favorite characters from already-existing Smash franchises that you don't think stand a chance, but you think would be fun to play?

I've got Fawful, Lanky Kong, Jimmy T., Hawlucha, Hades, Duster, and Mighty Gazelle.
Off the top of my head...

:4mario: - Toad, Waluigi
:4dk: - Lanky Kong, Lord Fredrick
:4link: - Tetra, Ganon, Ghirahim, Skull Kid, Fierce Deity Link
:4samus: - Ridley
:4kirby: - Dyna Blade
:4pikachu: - Meowth
:4falcon: - Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow
:4ness: - Porky
:4marth: - Lyn, Hector, Ephraim, Caeda, Tiki
:4pit: - HADES
:4littlemac: - King Hippo
:4shulk: - Dunban, Riki, Fiora, Reyn, Melia, Mumkhar, Zanza, Meyneth, Morag, Zeke, Nia, Tora, Jin, Malos
:4sonic: - Blaze, Vector
:4megaman: - X, MegaMan Volnutt, Sigma, Tron Bonne
:4ryu: - Karin, Gouken, Dudley, Zeku, Dan Hibiki
:4cloud: - Cecil, Terra, Kefka, Sephiroth, Zidane
:4bayonetta: - Rodin, Balder

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet
So I just thought of something, When it comes to Sega reps everyone wants another Sonic character which I'm mixed about, Knuckles or Shadow would be alright but I have a different suggestion...
Sega owns Atlus right, the same way it owns Platinum Games, So maybe we could see a Persona or SMT character in, but thats just me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So I just thought of something, When it comes to Sega reps everyone wants another Sonic character which I'm mixed about, Knuckles or Shadow would be alright but I have a different suggestion...
Sega owns Atlus right, the same way it owns Platinum Games, So maybe we could see a Persona or SMT character in, but thats just me.
Sega doesn't own Platinum Games.

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet
Off the top of my head...

:4mario: - Toad, Waluigi
:4dk: - Lanky Kong, Lord Fredrick
:4link: - Tetra, Ganon, Ghirahim, Skull Kid, Fierce Deity Link
:4samus: - Ridley
:4kirby: - Dyna Blade
:4pikachu: - Meowth
:4falcon: - Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow
:4ness: - Porky
:4marth: - Lyn, Hector, Ephraim, Caeda, Tiki
:4pit: - HADES
:4littlemac: - King Hippo
:4shulk: - Dunban, Riki, Fiora, Reyn, Melia, Mumkhar, Zanza, Meyneth, Morag, Zeke, Nia, Tora, Jin, Malos
:4sonic: - Blaze, Vector
:4megaman: - X, MegaMan Volnutt, Sigma, Tron Bonne
:4ryu: - Karin, Gouken, Dudley, Zeku, Dan Hibiki
:4cloud: - Cecil, Terra, Kefka, Sephiroth, Zidane
:4bayonetta: - Rodin, Balder
Dont forget Pico for F-zero and K rool for DK

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Okay, so I've been thinking about Cappy from Mario Odyssey. It's 2018 and F.L.U.D.D. needs to go lol. Don't get me wrong, I love Super Mario Sunshine, but F.L.U.D.D. hasn't been touched since then (I think?). Or maybe get rid of the cape and give Mario Cappy.

I don't play Mario, so I'm probably tearing a decent moveset apart in this post haha.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I would hate to state the obvious, but most people who support characters in a fighting game sort of envision playing them.
This is especially true in extreme cases. Anyone remember how everyone was flipping out when the Mewtwo trophy was found by people who got a hold of the 3DS version early? I do because I was one of them.

Morbi

Scavenger
I WANT a Persona character as it is probably among my favorite gaming series outside (and inside) of fighting games. That being said, I believe that SMT game is going to be Switch exclusive? I did not do much (or any) research; however, that would exponentially increase their chances, I suppose.

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet
User was warned for this post
I honestly think that we are shown a pokemon we have never seen before kinda like how Magearna was revealed but better is an amazing idea.

I WANT a Persona character as it is probably among my favorite gaming series outside (and inside) of fighting games. That being said, I believe that SMT game is going to be Switch exclusive? I did not do much (or any) research; however, that would exponentially increase their chances, I suppose.
I really want Joker in but unless Q 2 is released soon I dont know how likely that is

Morbi

Scavenger
Okay, so I've been thinking about Cappy from Mario Odyssey. It's 2018 and F.L.U.D.D. needs to go lol. Don't get me wrong, I love Super Mario Sunshine, but F.L.U.D.D. hasn't been touched since then (I think?). Or maybe get rid of the cape and give Mario Cappy.

I don't play Mario, so I'm probably tearing a decent moveset apart in this post haha.
That is one of the only reasons I can think of for the silhouettes. Sure, everyone had a silhouette; however, it did VERY little in making the fact that Link is redesigned indiscernible. Given that the focus was on both of them, I would not be surprised if originally they were the only two without silhouettes initially, but they decided to keep Cappy a surprise. It sounds tinfoil hat-esque, but why even put Mario and Link forth in the first place if they were just going to be covered in shadows? That is fine, initially, but then why not put Pikachu or Kirby on the same pedestal, as they usually do? It is no secret that the fan-base never... appreciated... Fludd. It just seems obvious to me, I guess.

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet
Would Level 5 characters like Layton and Jibanyan be considered 2nd party characters kinds like how Gamefreak and Monolift Soft's characters are?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Would Level 5 characters like Layton and Jibanyan be considered 2nd party characters kinds like how Gamefreak and Monolift Soft's characters are?
No. Nintendo doesn't own Level 5.

Plus Monolith is a 1st party studio.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The only Kirby villain I could see being added is Dark Matter, and I'm not sure I would say he has much of a shot for any specific reason.
I'm not too sure if implementing Dark Matter would be smart in any way, as its core, Zero, is among the bloodiest characters in the Kirby series.

I don't think if a third party company gets another character it should be one from the same franchise already repped. Like how Capcom has Mega-Man and Ryu in. So we shouldn't have two Sonic characters. Or two Final Fantasy characters. Or two Pac-Man characters.

If Namco got a second rep it should be someone from Soul Calibur, Tales, or Tekken. If Square got a second rep it should be someone from Kingdom Hearts or Dragon Quest. If Sega got a second character I think top franchises to look at are Yakuza, Phantasy Star, Streets of Rage, Shenmue, Valkyria Chronicles, or Virtua Fighter.

D

Deleted member

I would hate to state the obvious, but most people who support characters in a fighting game sort of envision playing them.
This makes it all the more confusing IMO, they want to play as that character but can't think of a playstyle for them? This makes no sense.

Well, even so, it could turn into a Roy situation.
Reminder that we live in a different time and that Roy was a last minute clone.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Okay, here's another one: who are some of your favorite characters from already-existing Smash franchises that you don't think stand a chance, but you think would be fun to play?

I've got Fawful, Lanky Kong, Jimmy T., Hawlucha, Hades, Duster, and Mighty Gazelle.
Mario: Fawful or a solo Bowser Jr.
Zelda: Mipha
Wario: Ashley
Yoshi: Kamek
Donkey Kong: Funky Kong
Pokemon: Midday Lycanroc, Bewear
Kid Icarus: Medusa or Hades
Fire Emblem: Lyn, Sharena, Ephraim, Hector, Celica, a cleric ala Genny, FElicia
Kirby: Daroach (I will never let go)
Metroid: Ridley is the only thing I can see being significantly interesting, but I'm open to more
Xenoblade: It's Reyn time
Star Fox: Peppy
Animal Crossing: Isabelle

EDIT: Oh, I guess part of the prompt was "doesn't stand a chance", I'm gonna have to edit this lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nintendo only publishes the Layton and Yokai Watch games outside of Japan and doesn't own the IP's themselves, so no.

D

Deleted member

Mario character sizes are a more flexible thoguh. Just look at a list of Bowser's sizes through out the games.
Please don't turn my ****post into an actual argument
maybe get rid of the cape
Don't you ****ing dare.
I've been waiting since forever for it to return to a main Mario game so Smash is the only place I can still see it.
Valkyria Chronicles
God I'd love a VC character, I'm playing through the first game(slowly, very slowly, though) and I love it.
Unfortunately, the only game on Nintendo consoles hasn't been released yet.

Morbi

Scavenger
This makes it all the more confusing IMO, they want to play as that character but can't think of a playstyle for them? This makes no sense.

Reminder that we live in a different time and that Roy was a last minute clone.
It is not our job to think of the play-style. Most people still have a general idea, but if you wanted Star Fox back in the day, it would have been quite difficult to imagine a workable move-set. Yet Sakurai did. That is part of what makes him so great. I have been known to criticize him or his decisions much more than the next guy, but the charm of Smash comes from his efforts. I read about half a dozen Layton ideas just on that last page, it is not as though they are completely clueless, that is just not the focus of their desire.

I want Ganon playable. I cannot think up a move-set. I could tell you, "well, he needs his trident... Or swords, and magic. " That is good enough for me to envision elements of the character even though I do not know what I want in particular.

Spring Man is my most wanted newcomer. All I know is that he stretches and that would be cool. He could parry and have a limit gauge similar to Lucario. Other than that, I am not sure. Still want him playable though. It would make no sense to make him a trophy just because the average person does not flesh out a move-set or play-style. If the character has merit, and people actually want to play as the character, why not?

D

Deleted member

God I'd love a VC character, I'm playing through the first game(slowly, very slowly, though) and I love it.
VC characters did appear in Project X Zone, though, so there's at least that.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm back after a long while away, and man does it feel good. Nothing like some good old pre-Smash Bros speculation. Even more reason to be excited for Directs too.

What's the biggest thing you're looking forward to or not looking forward to now that the pre-Smash speculation has started back up?

I'm personally looking forward to the speculation and "leaks". I always had a great time with the Sm4sh Leaks Group, especially when things like Gematsu or the final leak came out.

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet
I feel that when it comes to specific series with barely any representation there should be at least a new rep from that series
F-zero and Mother should each get one, Xenoblade is obviously getting at least Rex or Pyra, Star fox should at the least get Wolf back and/or maybe Krystal but I feel its kinds late for her addition, Then there are series like Punch Out and Pikmin where I feel the one character they have each is enough to represent there series, that and other than there main character they dont have another who wouldn't seem like a clone (Glass Joe and Alph who is just a palette swap for olimar for example).

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm back after a long while away, and man does it feel good. Nothing like some good old pre-Smash Bros speculation. Even more reason to be excited for Directs too.

What's the biggest thing you're looking forward to or not looking forward to now that the pre-Smash speculation has started back up?

I'm personally looking forward to the speculation and "leaks". I always had a great time with the Sm4sh Leaks Group, especially when things like Gematsu or the final leak came out.
It is probably the most generic response; however, I am looking forward to the trailers again. Half the reason I am excited for e3 is not even the game-play, which is still going to be nice, sure, but I had so much fun watching those trailers.

As for what I am not looking forward to... Nothing. I enjoy almost everything about the game and with a shorter speculation cycle most of the inherent issues (droughts, people getting bored, salt) are going to be far less likely.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What do you guys think of the fate of the Third Party Characters we have now
The 6 in Smash Bros 4 :4sonic::4megaman::4ryu::4pacman::4cloud::4bayonetta:
As well as the prisoner of Konami's war :snake:coming back
All will return except for Cloud if I were to guess.

Ryu I think there's a chance he might not return but it's small chance that hopefully doesn't happen. Snake I don't see returning despite me and others wanting him back.

It would interesting if they added a VC character to advertise the fourth one on Switch.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
EDIT: Oh, I guess part of the prompt was "doesn't stand a chance", I'm gonna have to edit this lol
I was about to say, Mipha, Lycanroc, Isabelle, and Ridley are some of my top picks. You'd be throwing some serious shade at me if you didn't think any of them had a chance.

I wonder how long it'll be before someone responds to this and says something along the lines of, "But Ridley really doesn't have a chance. lol."?

Last edited:

Chron

Smash Journeyman
Half the reason I am excited for e3 is not even the game-play, which is still going to be nice, sure, but I had so much fun watching those trailers.
Normally, me too, but this time I want to see gameplay more than anything.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I was about to say, Mipha, Lycanroc, Isabelle, and Ridley are some of my top picks. You'd be throwing some serious shade at me if you didn't think any of them had a chance.

I wonder how long it'll be before someone responds to this and says something along the lines of, "Ridley really doesn't have a chance. lol"?
They're some of my top picks too, I just want to be reasonable with my expectations. I see people all over the place with the BotW champions, Lycanroc seems really specific, Isabelle comes from a game that originally wasn't expected to get ANYTHING in regards to a playable character, and Ridley is Ridley.

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet

I wonder how long it'll be before someone responds to this and says something along the lines of, "But Ridley really doesn't have a chance. lol."?
I think we should get atleast 2 of the guardians, along with the Hyrule Warriors version of Ganondorf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom