• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I'm back after a long while away, and man does it feel good. Nothing like some good old pre-Smash Bros speculation. Even more reason to be excited for Directs too.

What's the biggest thing you're looking forward to or not looking forward to now that the pre-Smash speculation has started back up?

I'm personally looking forward to the speculation and "leaks". I always had a great time with the Sm4sh Leaks Group, especially when things like Gematsu or the final leak came out.

I want to see what they do with the modes.

I could see them abandoning custom moves entirely in favor of development time for an SSE camaign or more characters or clones.

Or I could see them doubling down, making Smash run have more stages and focus, making Smash tour have enough mini games to feel like a Mario party and a UI that doesn’t totally blow.

A new game at this point in the franchises direction is just fascinating.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
I was about to say, Mipha, Lycanroc, Isabelle, and Ridley are some of my top picks. You'd be throwing some serious shade at me if you didn't think any of them had a chance.

I wonder how long it'll be before someone responds to this and says something along the lines of, "But Ridley really doesn't have a chance. lol."?
But Ridley really doesn't have a chance. lol.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Don't you ****ing dare.
I've been waiting since forever for it to return to a main Mario game so Smash is the only place I can still see it.
Hahaha! Like I said, I don't play Mario so I might be ripping apart a perfectly fine moveset. I'd rather get rid of F.L.U.D.D. anyways.

All will return except for Cloud if I were to guess.

Ryu I think there's a chance he might not return but it's small chance that hopefully doesn't happen. Snake I don't see returning despite me and others wanting him back.
I feel Cloud might stay because the working relationship between Square and Nintendo seems to be getting better thus we will hopefully get more of their games on Nintendo again. I mean the likes of Final Fantasy 15 and Final Fantasy 7 Remake were rumored for Switch so here is hoping.

Morbi

Scavenger
Normally, me too, but this time I want to see gameplay more than anything.
I just feel as though it is going to be quite... Similar to Smash 4. Do not get me wrong, I want some initial game-play to give me a feel for it, but after that, I will, presumably, be more or less be satisfied until launch. Ideal scenario is that we get a direct before e3 that just announces all silhouette characters and maybe, just maybe, another newcomer (my boy, Spring Man). After that, we can get our big e3 reveal with 3 newcomers, at least one being third-party, and hopefully more behind the scenes. Like the invitational tournament they did.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I feel Cloud might stay because the working relationship between Square and Nintendo seems to be getting better thus we will hopefully get more of their games on Nintendo again. I mean the likes of Final Fantasy 15 and Final Fantasy 7 Remake were rumored for Switch so here is hoping.
It's more of a case of SE being SE really.

Morbi

Scavenger
I just realized Sheik doesn’t use a harp for any moves wtf
And Ganon does not use anything from the games, Young Link did not use masks and yet had fire arrows, Toon Link does not use anything from his series (and drops the fire arrows that made sense for him), Zelda uses Link's spells... and sparkles, beyond that, we still have no hammer. Your point being?

In all seriousness, the Legend of Zelda portion of the roster has always been the biggest waste of potential.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I just realized Sheik doesn’t use a harp for any moves wtf
She doesn't even use it for her taunts much like Toon Link does with the Wind Waker, which come to think of it.
Why does she still use the whip for her taunt even though she can't use that move anymore?

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Reacting to and anticipating a character's reveal is sometimes more fun than actually playing the character. Some kind of euphoria, if you will.

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I still completely disagree. If it is not something you think is worth discussing, then that doesn't mean the same is true for others. To me, it being a port would mean I wouldn't really care for this, imo, falsely advertised DLC. If this is a new game, then that means a legitimately new game for the Switch, and thus possibly another reason to buy the console.
Again, there is literally no reason to think that we're getting falsely advertised DLC even if it is a port. On top of that, you deciding to not buy a Switch or the game because it's not a new version is a decision, not a discussion. Where is the sense in talking about this if you've already made your decision to not buy it if is a port? Where is the sense in talking about it if there isn't even gameplay being shown to help change your mind? Or to compare to Smash Wii U? There isn't any. And nitpicking one reason, that I'm positive most people don't really care about (but of course I could be wrong on that front), doesn't change the fact that regardless of what it is, we're not getting the exact same Smash bros.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
When it comes to modes, I'd love the good ol' Adventure mode from Melee, as story-lacking as it may was. Also Board the platforms from Smash 64 and unique Target Test for each character back. Not happening but let my have my dreams.

Reacting to and anticipating a character's reveal is sometimes more fun than actually playing the character. Some kind of euphoria, if you will.
Agreed.
And Ganon does not use anything from the games, Young Link did not use masks and yet had fire arrows, Toon Link does not use anything from his series (and drops the fire arrows that made sense for him), Zelda uses Link's spells... and sparkles, beyond that, we still have no hammer. Your point being?

In all seriousness, the Legend of Zelda portion of the roster has always been the biggest waste of potential.
Hopefully Link being turned Breath of the Wild gives him some good changed to his moveset. And hopefully they turn Zelda Breath of the Wild and give her move changes too.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
When it comes to modes, I'd love the good ol' Adventure mode from Melee, as story-lacking as it may was. Also Board the platforms from Smash 64 and unique Target Test for each character back. Not happening but let my have my dreams.
Could you imagine coming up with over 60 unique target tests? I loved that in Melee but I think it becomes less realistic the newer the Smash game.

Morbi

Scavenger
Reacting to and anticipating a character's reveal is sometimes more fun than actually playing the character. Some kind of euphoria...
Indeed. Robin's reveal was arguably the best, as people finally stopped treating Gematsu as gospel and it is always nice being right about something that everyone tells you is wrong. The concept felt right down my alley. A zoner with resource management and aerial smash attacks. Quite unique and infinitely cool. However, I hate playing her. The only two characters that are actually as fun as they seemed were Rosalina and Little Mac, but their exploitable weaknesses make them borderline unplayable anyways, so it is hardly worth mentioning.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Are we still on about the "Ridley's size" argument? What is it? 2007? Haha.

Honestly, though, with Metroid Prime 4 on the way, we don't really know what could happen with Ridley or even another character to rep the series. I think size alone isn't a reason to completely discredit a character. And this is coming from someone who doesn't really support Ridley.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I think that id we have any chance of getting another SquareEnix rep it will either be Geno for obvious reasons or a Dragon Quest character since the series has a long history with Nintendo.
I'm thinking more Geno. This is just me, but I think that all of the new characters that we're getting might be coming from a list of the DLC Mii costumes we got last gen. Not all of them, of course, but characters like Lloyd, Takamura, Geno, King K. Rool, and a few others to say the least. I feel like those costumes were only added to pander to the fans demanding them, and if that's the case, it might be a guarantee that they make it in.

Morbi

Scavenger

Honestly, though, with Metroid Prime 4 on the way, we don't really know what could happen with Ridley or even another character to rep the series. I think size alone isn't a reason to completely discredit a character. And this is coming from someone who doesn't really support Ridley.
The only hope is that Sakurai changes his mind, unfortunately. It does not really matter what is objectively true or what we believe, all that matters is, will he put in the work, will he accept weird wings or whatever he is worried about? Probably not.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I mean, there's Kiran, the avatar character and Summoner from Fire Emblem Heroes.
Then again (s)he's a complete non-combatant blank slate who's just supposed to be the player, even more so than the current avatar characters in Smash. But still a canonical summoner that would theoretically fight by summoning heroes from Fire Emblem.
Or Silque/Genny/Tatiana from Shadows of Valentia due to their Invoke move.
Pick Veronica instead.
Veronica can summon Heroes as well, but she has a defined personality and could use moves based on the game's unique tomes, which could be anything from levitating ghost swords to a flock of crows.

EDIT: Plus she was recently voted as the most popular Heroes character, and was the app's icon until Fjorm was added.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Prime 4 might have been announced/started development too late for it to have any effect on this Smash's roster, but we'll see.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I'm thinking more Geno. This is just me, but I think that all of the new characters that we're getting might be coming from a list of the DLC Mii costumes we got last gen. Not all of them, of course, but characters like Lloyd, Takamura, Geno, King K. Rool, and a few others to say the least. I feel like those costumes were only added to pander to the fans demanding them, and if that's the case, it might be a guarantee that they make it in.
I wouldn't go as far as to say "guarantee", but I think it shows that the characters are at least in Sakurai's head. That's all we can realistically ask for anyway. Just have to get your characters on the table.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I pretty much bought a WiiU solely for Smash, had many fun hours. No regrets.

Now I've moved on to the Switch, and even a direct port of Smash 4 would have made me happy, because I love the series, and now I would be able to take it on the go with extra content. I don't think it is a port by any means, but even if it was, I'm not sure how this is the knife in the back people are describing...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Even if you don't support Ridley, I appreciate that you didn't rule him out entirely like many others have.

Prime 4 is putting Metroid is better place than where it was with Smash 4, and I still believe we have a good shot of getting a Metroid newcomer. I'm wanting Ridley, but I'll gladly take Sylux or anyone else we could get. The list of reasonable Metroid characters is slim anyways.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I kinda want the "Smash ball in the eye" to become a running gag if there are plans for newcomer trailers. Imagine the next newcomer doing whatever, then turning around to witness the same fiery Smash ball and shadows of, like, Kirby and Pikachu shown (the two that usually debut with Mario and Link).
It really seemed like the veterans were waiting for the Inkling's to "join the Smash side" just standing there like that haha.

...E3 will probably be our next Smash news though.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Again, there is literally no reason to think that we're getting falsely advertised DLC even if it is a port. On top of that, you deciding to not buy a Switch or the game because it's not a new version is a decision, not a discussion. Where is the sense in talking about this if you've already made your decision to not buy it if is a port? Where is the sense in talking about it if there isn't even gameplay being shown to help change your mind? Or to compare to Smash Wii U? There isn't any. And nitpicking one reason, that I'm positive most people don't really care about (but of course I could be wrong on that front), doesn't change the fact that regardless of what it is, we're not getting the exact same Smash bros.
The problem is that we might actually get the exact same Smash Bros. That is a problem to me. If that isn't a problem to you then I respect that. To me nothing would be more hype than the prospect of a new Smash game. Why it wasn't marketed like that from the start is beyond me if it actually is a new game, but I rest my case. Let's agree to disagree.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Hahaha! Like I said, I don't play Mario so I might be ripping apart a perfectly fine moveset. I'd rather get rid of F.L.U.D.D. anyways.
I think Fludd will return, who else is gonna clean up all the inkling ink?

Morbi

Scavenger
I kinda want the "Smash ball in the eye" to become a running gag if there are plans for newcomer trailers. Imagine the next newcomer doing whatever, then turning around to witness the same fiery Smash ball and shadows of, like, Kirby and Pikachu shown (the two that usually debut with Mario and Link).
It really seemed like the veterans were waiting for the Inkling's to "join the Smash side" just standing there like that haha.

I used to believe that to be the case; however, the more I think about it, with so many people not even realizing it is a new game, for whatever reason, it might be in their best interest to drum up hype before e3. We still have nearly 3 months and assuming this is on the scale of even melee in regards to newcomers, they should probably get started relatively soon.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Nah, Sakurai has insider knowledge. That was the argument against Rosalina in the day. Lo and behold.
Super Mario 3D World DID happen too late to affect her odds. Sakurai specifically picked her because of Galaxy. 3D World had no impact on his decision.

D

Deleted member

Nah, Sakurai has insider knowledge. That was the argument against Rosalina in the day. Lo and behold.
But Rosalina had already made multiple other appearances besides 3D World before Sakurai decided on Smash 4's roster. And 3D World wasn't even the inspiration for her moveset.

Also, if you disagree with me, then please don't like my post. Giving me mixed signals here.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

I think we have to get SOMETHING before E3. They revealed the game when E3 was still 3 months out. We might get a direct mini in between that reveals something. I just can't imagine them revealing the game and then waiting 3 months to say anything else. If they were gonna do that, why not wait til E3? Also there's less than 9 months til the game releases at an absolute maximum, though many of us think it'll be by September. I believe Nintendo is trying to get the Smash train moving.

Every newcomer trailer should be the character visited by the giant flaming demonic Smash logo and seeing two character shadows in the distance (of which should be different characters each time).

Some examples being Spring Man's trailer being Little Mac and ROB, Rex's trailer being Shulk and Marth, Sylux's trailer being Samus and Captain Falcon, and Isabelle's trailer being Pikachu and Yoshi.

Some examples for characters at least.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
But Rosalina had already made multiple other appearances besides 3D World before Sakurai decided on Smash 4's roster. And 3D World wasn't even the inspiration for her moveset.
Not entirely true. When the roster was finalized in 2012, Rosalina had only made four appearances (SMG, MKWii, SMG2, and MK7). If anything, her appearance in Smash is what caused her to start popping up everywhere.

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
The problem is that we might actually get the exact same Smash Bros. That is a problem to me. If that isn't a problem to you then I respect that. To me nothing would be more hype than the prospect of a new Smash game. Why it wasn't marketed like that from the start is beyond me if it actually is a new game, but I rest my case. Let's agree to disagree.
I'm down for that if you are. Take care of yourself dude.

D

Deleted member

Not entirely true. When the roster was finalized in 2012, Rosalina had only made four appearances (SMG, MKWii, SMG2, and MK7). If anything, her appearance in Smash is what caused her to start popping up everywhere.
I probably should've worded that statement better. I didn't mean to say that 3D World was out when Sakurai finalized the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom