• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
It's been four years since I last came to Smashboards, but I'm back for the Smash hype once again. I don't really have any newcomers that come to mind that should be added, but I think a few good ones with relevance would be Dixie Kong, Captain Toad, and an Arms character.

Honestly I wouldn't care if we had fewer newcomers this time, since the last game's roster was near-perfect.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My least favorite part of speculation is people saying that Ganon should be changed.
Ya'll have to take the Disrespect King from my cold, dead hands.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Balloon Fighter has my vote as well, even moreso than Takamaru. Why? Cause Iwata created the character. It'd be like a homage.
I low-key hope Alice of Balloon Kid might pop in as a surprise Alt. for Balloon Fighter if this'll ever happen. Might instantly be part of my playables like :4lemmy: was in SSB4.

After all, how can you say no to this cute face?

I think there'd be some cues taken from Balloon Kid's gameplay mechanic allowing you to pump balloons back in for Balloon Fighter too.

Last edited:

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
I have no clue what the **** Doomguy is doing there but goddamn would he be awesome
TBH I think Doomguy would actually be fitting, considering that it was what essentially popularized the FPS genre; being on more computers than Windows at a time. Would be a fine rep for this genre, also helps that it was on the SNES, GBA, and got a great exclusive on N64. Also the obvious Switch DOOM16.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
At the very least, whatever this game brings as newcomers which is gonna bring me a major dissapointment, I KNOW that this time... a DKC character is more likely cause of the Tropical Freeze port to Switch. <3

This is a major relief for me. Even if they give us Funky as a full DK clone, or Dixie as a full Diddy clone, I'll be content.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
At the very least, whatever this game brings as newcomers which is gonna bring me a major dissapointment, I KNOW that this time... a DKC character is more likely cause of the Tropical Freeze port to Switch. <3

This is a major relief for me. Even if they give us Funky as a full DK clone, or Dixie as a full Diddy clone, I'll be content.
If Funky Kong was a carbon copy clone of DK, I couldn't even find it in myself to be mad

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I want Isabelle as a new AC rep. I want an Isabelle that's essentially a drunken master/accident prone fighter because I think that would be hilarious. Imagine if her Fsmash was something like a sneeze or tripping and falling and dropping a leaf that turns into a cabinet or even obscure stuff like the Mouth of Truth. I like the idea of her being a silly, light hearted character in the same vein as Villager.
This is what I'm thinking too, fun clumsy fighter who can pull aspects from New Leaf that weren't represented through Villager. I'm honestly pretty damn confident in her inclusion especially considering the way they've been using her as essentially the mascot of Animal Crossing, and furthermore AC is certainly big enough to warrant another character.

Tom Nook, I dunno, I wouldn't be upset about him being included but I don't think he has anything that makes him particularly worth adding unless they throw him in as a semi clone late into development.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I also gotta consider that we might get another WTF choice like Wii Fit Trainer too, so there is another dilemma between choosing that and another third-party. I feel that the max amount of new third parties were getting is most likely two like with Megaman and Pac-Man in Smash 4. Any WTF Nintendo newcomer choices that come in mind? Because my mind is completely blank on that subject. I have seen people suggest the Labo guy holds the Joycon in the back, but I am pretty sure that is more of a joke like the Wii Remote guy than anything else.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
TBH I think Doomguy would actually be fitting, considering that it was what essentially popularized the FPS genre; being on more computers than Windows at a time. Would be a fine rep for this genre, also helps that it was on the SNES, GBA, and got a great exclusive on N64. Also the obvious Switch DOOM16.
Oh I'm aware, it's just that he seems like such a what the **** choice for the cast of Smash due to well, being from Doom. The game franchise with bloody demons from hell

AadmM

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6988-1941-7966
I for one feel like the Zelda cast is going to represent a spread of different games this time. BotW Link, TP/OoT Zelda maybe, TP Ganondorf for sure (HW if we're lucky), Toon Link.

It might be a tad odd, but I just can't envision BotW Zelda with the moveset she's had since Melee--it just doesn't suit her somehow. And I don't see her getting Sheikah Rune attacks either since that's really all Link.

I wouldn't mind this though. Would be neat given the series' eclectic history.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
LoZ seems to be in the same scenario it's been the past two games, just instead of having a one time villain as a potential character we have a bunch of one time supporting characters with brief appearances. Of course BotW has been a bigger hit than TP and SS were, but I just don't see any of the Champions making it if the likes of Zant and Ghirahim didn't during their hey-days, there's not an awful lot to work with and the focus was as always with Link and Zelda.

They might be tempted to include a new Zelda character just so it doesn't fall behind the other big franchises on the roster, but I think they'd be digging into past games for that, because BotW just doesn't have any good options. SS/HW Impa or Skull Kid would be the best options if they did that imo, but it does seem like a long shot with Link's design being changed to his BotW appearance.
But here's the thing - if Sakurai is looking for Zelda newcomers, why would he look back to older games for inspiration instead of a new game? He didn't add Skull Kid when he was relevant during Melee, he didn't add Tingle or Midna when they were relevant during Brawl, and he didn't add Impa or Girahim when they were relevant during Smash 4. Not saying these characters didn't get added because they were unpopular, but if he didn't find the time to add them back then when they were highly relevant, what would make him add them now? It's not like any of these guys had anything major happen to them since the release of Smash 4 that greatly increased their chances of being added.

While the Champions don't seem nearly as iconic as some of the other Zelda characters we know, no one can deny that all four have a comparatively big role in one of the best and most successful Zelda games of all time. As we can see with Link's new design being promoted over the iconic green cap and tunic, BotW is clearly going to have a huge influence for the Zelda series in this Smash. I can see Sakurai going to greater lengths to include a BotW character, even if it's only because millions of amateur and young gamers who have bought BotW on the Switch might be more inclined to purchase Smash Switch if a Champion were included.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

Super Smash Bros. (Pending Title) NEW FUNKY MODE!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Anyone else thinking Alm and / or Celica are gonna be far more likely now because there isn't a Fire Emblem Switch announced yet? I do.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
LoZ seems to be in the same scenario it's been the past two games, just instead of having a one time villain as a potential character we have a bunch of one time supporting characters with brief appearances. Of course BotW has been a bigger hit than TP and SS were, but I just don't see any of the Champions making it if the likes of Zant and Ghirahim didn't during their hey-days, there's not an awful lot to work with and the focus was as always with Link and Zelda.

They might be tempted to include a new Zelda character just so it doesn't fall behind the other big franchises on the roster, but I think they'd be digging into past games for that, because BotW just doesn't have any good options. SS/HW Impa or Skull Kid would be the best options if they did that imo, but it does seem like a long shot with Link's design being changed to his BotW appearance.
Thank you for speaking sense.

Ghirahim and Zant also had more moveset potential and story relevance. Plus, I cannot think of just ONE Champion to be included over the others.

Impa is still a great choice. People should know.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
My best case scenario Zelda character would be Tetra, because thinking about her moveset potential really gets me excited. Scrappy pirate based moveset sounds so good, I would probably try to main her.

Not sure about her chances but I think the "toon" series of games could warrant some more rep outside of Tink and considering there's reason to believe she was considered back in the Brawl days it's probably not out of the question that she gets brought up during brainstorming.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Anyone else thinking Alm and / or Celica are gonna be far more likely now because there isn't a Fire Emblem Switch announced yet? I do.
Hard to say. The second FE game is absolutely HATED in Japan, and I think that might have had a small effect on Japan's sales for the game. The West, on the other hand, has never even had an opportunity to play the second FE game, so it's essentially a new game for them.

I'm going to go with my gut feeling and say no. Even if they end up being successful, remakes have never translated into getting a new character in Smash. I think a new stage inspired by Echoes has a better chance than Alm/Celica.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I want blue pig Ganon because I'm crazy and I like super heavies.

Between the two it'd most likely be Celica since she's much more popular than Alm, unless it was both of them somehow. Intelligent Systems is probably gonna keep riding that now that they know she is really popular.
I couldn't complain since I love Celica~

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm going to go with my gut feeling and say no. Even if they end up being successful, remakes have never translated into getting a new character in Smash.
I mean, Pokemon Trainer kind of did, as he was designed after his FireRed LeafGreen appearance and those where relatively recent at the time.... :pt:

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Doubtful. If anything they'll rework Link's (and maybe Zelda's) moveset and change Shiek/Ganondorf''s attires to HW.
I still want two add two to five character in the roster. I wanna add one third party (or even indie) choice and a second retro newcomer. But I cannot decide on what to pick TBH. And even though I have stated my distaste for speculating new clones, I kinda wanna add two-three more clones to my roster now. But I am not well equipped in relevancy to figure out who could join in as last-minute clones.
This boy right here.

He's retro in my book. And unlike all the others his series is much more important to Nintendo then any of them could be put together.
Evidence? This game likely started development right after Smash for Wii U which could very well mean they recycled all of the characters from that game and updated a few of them, meaning all veterans could return and then some.
If it's a new game then there's a possibility for cuts. I can't say for sure if it'll happen but everyone should brace themselves for the possibility of cuts.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
But here's the thing - if Sakurai is looking for Zelda newcomers, why would he look back to older games for inspiration instead of a new game? He didn't add Skull Kid when he was relevant during Melee, he didn't add Tingle or Midna when they were relevant during Brawl, and he didn't add Impa or Girahim when they were relevant during Smash 4. Not saying these characters didn't get added because they were unpopular, but if he didn't find the time to add them back then when they were highly relevant, what would make him add them now? It's not like any of these guys had anything major happen to them since the release of Smash 4 that greatly increased their chances of being added.

While the Champions don't seem nearly as iconic as some of the other Zelda characters we know, no one can deny that all four have a comparatively big role in one of the best and most successful Zelda games of all time. As we can see with Link's new design being promoted over the iconic green cap and tunic, BotW is clearly going to have a huge influence for the Zelda series in this Smash. I can see Sakurai going to greater lengths to include a BotW character, even if it's only because millions of amateur and young gamers who have bought BotW on the Switch might be more inclined to purchase Smash Switch if a Champion were included.
I had this discussion with a friend when discussing Zelda newcomers and I thought it could be a good idea to add all four champions, but just give them generic names like Zora, Rito, Goron, and Gerudo. This way you can take inspiration from the newer games while also extending the characters to the whole franchise.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
If it's a new game then there's a possibility for cuts. I can't say for sure if it'll happen but everyone should brace themselves for the possibility of cuts.
Absolutely of course. But, I was pointing out that he was acting so certain, when again, it's quite possible this game was built off of the last one shortly after it's completion.

D

Deleted member

Eh, at this point, SoV is too old to be relevant, FE's current big thing is Heroes.
Not that I wouldn't love either Alm or Celica but I just think they're unlikely.

I'd think Sakurai could get early viewings of the FE16 characters like GF gave him the XY Pokemon designs but I don't know how his relationship with IS is.

I'm sure we're gonna be seeing a new FE character because the franchise has only grown since Smash 4, it's just the question of "who?"
My bet is either Lyn, Celica or a new FE16 character. Or, I dunno, Sakurai decides to add someone else because **** logic.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Doubtful. If anything they'll rework Link's (and maybe Zelda's) moveset and change Shiek/Ganondorf''s attires to HW.

This boy right here.

He's retro in my book. And unlike all the others his series is much more important to Nintendo then any of them could be put together.

Andy has been in my radar for a bit since I feel his retro status qualifies after 17 years, but I honestly forgot the importance Advance Wars set for Nintendo history. Did it serve as a foundation for Fire Emblem back in the 1980s? Honestly, if he was chosen, he would have to be the first retro rep to compete against Takamaru, which I feel Takamaru has the edge due the relationship with Zelda, Metroid, and Kid Icarus, and him being front in line after Little Mac, since there has not been any notable retro revival from Nintendo lately. Takamaru is in front of the line in my opinion. The second retro will probably be someone of more significance than Takamaru, and I feel choices like Hanafuda and Balloon Fighter hold the edge for a second retro. I think Andy is too stuck in the middle-ground to be chosen for a 'retro representative'.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, Pokemon Trainer kind of did, as he was designed after his FireRed LeafGreen appearance and those where relatively recent at the time.... :pt:
Okay, I'll give you that.

Still, I think Pokémon Trainer was chosen moreso because of his gimmick rather than his relevancy. Any of the trainer designs and Pokémon would've worked fine. I'm just guessing Sakurai went with Red's design and the Gen I starters because they were far more iconic in the Pokémon world.

I had this discussion with a friend when discussing Zelda newcomers and I thought it could be a good idea to add all four champions, but just give them generic names like Zora, Rito, Goron, and Gerudo. This way you can take inspiration from the newer games while also extending the characters to the whole franchise.
Four Zelda newcomers might be a bit too much, but I think you have a good concept. Mipha and Daruk could have an alt that uses Ruto and Darunia respectively.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Eh, at this point, SoV is too old to be relevant, FE's current big thing is Heroes.
Not that I wouldn't love either Alm or Celica but I just think they're unlikely.

I'd think Sakurai could get early viewings of the FE16 characters like GF gave him the XY Pokemon designs but I don't know how his relationship with IS is.

I'm sure we're gonna be seeing a new FE character because the franchise has only grown since Smash 4, it's just the question of "who?"
My bet is either Lyn, Celica or a new FE16 character. Or, I dunno, Sakurai decides to add someone else because **** logic.
I can't wait to get Kiran and he'll fight by shooting FE characters out of a gun.
But you only have about a 3% chance of the projectile being good. The other 97% of the time you regret choosing to play as Kiran.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
My least favorite part of speculation is people saying that Ganon should be changed.
Ya'll have to take the Disrespect King from my cold, dead hands.
Thank you
Ganon's design is greatly underappreciated, especially since most of the proposed revamps are only slightly less based in headcanon than the current TP one.
If you want it to be about him as a character, maybe don't center his moveset around a weapon he stole that deliberately clashes with his design?

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The Switch Roster making thread was accidentally merged with the palette swap thread. I separated the posts that were obviously meant for The Switch Roster Thread and made a new thread for it. If I missed anything, tag me or one of the section mods with a post link and we will move it to the correct thread. Sorry for the confusion.

New Switch Roster Thread link

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There's no frigging way any FE2 character is making it in the game. FE16 protag I can see for promotional purposes but putting anyone from that game is such a waste of time considering how Sakurai felt post-DLC. Sorry if that offends anyone.
Absolutely of course. But, I was pointing out that he was acting so certain, when again, it's quite possible this game was built off of the last one shortly after it's completion.
Indeed. We can't make concrete conclusions from what we saw. Though given the presentation of how things went down i'm more inclined to believe it true.
Andy has been in my radar for a bit since I feel his retro status qualifies after 17 years, but I honestly forgot the importance Advance Wars set for Nintendo history. Did it serve as a foundation for Fire Emblem back in the 1980s? Honestly, if he was chosen, he would have to be the first retro rep to compete against Takamaru, which I feel Takamaru has the edge due the relationship with Zelda, Metroid, and Kid Icarus, and him being front in line after Little Mac, since there has not been any notable retro revival from Nintendo lately. Takamaru is in front of the line in my opinion. The second retro will probably be someone of more significance than Takamaru, and I feel choices like Hanafuda and Balloon Fighter hold the edge for a second retro. I think Andy is too stuck in the middle-ground to be chosen for a 'retro representative'.
By middle ground do you mean not being "retro enough"? Because it's true Andy debuted in a game in 2001 though he himself would represent a franchise dating all the way back to 1988, going back even before Fire Emblem.

And yes Wars is pretty much the reason why FE even exists today and why it even broke out of Japan in the first place. Sakurai could make note of that if he were to ever include Andy or anyone from Wars in the game.

The only thing that puts Taka ahead is that he's more popular among the Japanese fanbase which more times than not will make or break a characters chances. Otherwise Andy hails from a franchise more significant and noteworthy than any retro Nintendo's ever had. Before Wars went dark after Days of Ruin, it appeared on every Nintendo console/handheld sans the N64 (which almost got a game on that platform mind you).
Thank you
Ganon's design is greatly underappreciated, especially since most of the proposed revamps are only slightly less based in headcanon than the current TP one.
If you want it to be about him as a character, maybe don't center his moveset around a weapon he stole that deliberately clashes with his design?
I don't see how Falcondorf makes Ganon "faithful" to his canon self. Sure, Ganon can wreck **** up if he wants and all but he's a guy that gets things done with his dark magic and swordplay.

IIRC the only time Ganon actually fought physically with his hands was in OoT when he punched the ground to make the floor drop.

Last edited:
So. . .does anyone remember what the cutoff point for Smash For was for other games? I remember the general consensus was that Tropical Freeze was too late to affect anything until DLC. But I don't remember how long the timeframe is. Wouldn't mind having a vague but obviously not concrete) timeframe for this game since I think we know about around when Sakurai got started on this.
:061:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I completely agree with Max here.

People are always so quick to think of everything as black or white. It either must be a port or must be completely new. I maintain the truth of matter resides somewhere in the middle, and I'm glad at least some other people, with louder voices than myself, share the sentiment.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I hope that if we get another Paper Mario stage, we can get the Gooper Blopper Medley. That is my only positive for Sticker Star; loved that Boss Battle.
huh, because I actually think that as far as the ost goes (which I really didn't liked for many reasons), this theme was probably the worse offense.

Because I dumped the game and extracted what I could and I found out that the theme is LITTERALLY 10 seconds and there's 5 versions of it. Now, some vgm I heard in my life were impressive (like ssbm menu 1, which is only 40 seconds), but 10 seconds for a boss battle is IMPOSSIBLE. After 3 loops, it already feels too repetitive, you can't do much with only 10 seconds and expect it to cover it for at least 10-15 minutes, that's not how looping works (the good vgm are short, but their loop point feels hidden).

The fact this was something that got in the game is very concerning.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

I completely agree with Max here.

People are always so quick to think of everything as black or white. It either must be a port or must be completely new. I maintain the truth of matter resides somewhere in the middle, and I'm glad at least some other people, with louder voices than myself, share the sentiment.
So "enhanced port" then?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So. . .does anyone remember what the cutoff point for Smash For was for other games? I remember the general consensus was that Tropical Freeze was too late to affect anything until DLC. But I don't remember how long the timeframe is. Wouldn't mind having a vague but obviously not concrete) timeframe for this game since I think we know about around when Sakurai got started on this.
:061:
Brawl was 2005 and Smash 4 was mid-2012.

So with that being said barring :4greninja:type situations, characters who didn't appear before late-2016/early-2017 aren't likely to be in the game.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Two AC newcomers is interesting to me. What do you think Isabelle and Tom Nook would use as a moveset? Villager has pretty much all of what Animal Crossing is about in his/her movesets.

:kirby:
My time to shine~
Well, Isabelle could easily have the plethora of Public Works Projects throughout her moveset, instantly sprouting topiarys and arches for her smash attacks. She can also employ the many tools that Villager doesn't currently use, like the pinwheel, party popper, and toy hammer for examples, and can use the various emotions from the game as actual attacks. Her main gimmick could be that she could be a trapper, using Resetti's Manhole as a ground trap and a bubble from a bubble blower as an aerial trap. She'd probably be Smash's 'accidental fighter' where's she's not exactly trying to hit you, you're just in the way.

For Tom Nook, there's a bunch of stuff he can pull from the various house customisation options, along with Tanuki Mario abilities like tail wagging and turning into a statue. For example his down tilt can have him literally pull a rug out from underneath you, and a kill move could be him throwing out a leaf that turns into a piano. His gimmick could be similar to Villagers, but in that he turns projectiles into leaves that he can hold, either z dropping them to leave them as a leaf or throwing them to turn them back into a projectile in the direction it was thrown.
They might not see the Champions as just simple one-off characters either, as they're the representatives of Zelda races that have been in the games for years now. The Zora specifically have been in the games since the first one, where they attack link from the water.
I also gotta consider that we might get another WTF choice like Wii Fit Trainer too, so there is another dilemma between choosing that and another third-party. I feel that the max amount of new third parties were getting is most likely two like with Megaman and Pac-Man in Smash 4. Any WTF Nintendo newcomer choices that come in mind? Because my mind is completely blank on that subject. I have seen people suggest the Labo guy holds the Joycon in the back, but I am pretty sure that is more of a joke like the Wii Remote guy than anything else.
Personally I'm hopeful for the stylist from Style Savvy, but Labo's one I'd also really like to see. The cute little sheep thing from Labo House could be a representative for the game, where he builds things out of cardboard for a wide variety of abilities. There's also Nikki that can represent the 3DS as a whole, taking inspiration from eShop, Badge Arcade, and of course Swapnote/Swapdoodle to become Smash's first actual summoner, where she brings out a 3DS a draws something that comes to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom