• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
See here's the problem.

Sakurai really doesn't have much to do with it. No matter which way it goes, it's Sakurai, he's a genius at moveset ideas which has been proven multiple time.

The problem is the most logical decision here. ssb as a series tries to reflect nintendo's franchises in a fighting game, that's prettu much the entire premise of the game. Now, that also means that if the franchises themselves were to change, changes should be made in ssb. Many existing characters got a lot of changes from ssbb because of this, new additions were also justified because of this. Now, sure, the characters may try to reflect the entire franchise history, but there's many many factor here, what is the most relevant about the franchise? What people are more aware about it? There's many factor that decides what would be a logical way to see a character.

But Paper Mario was never added in the game as of now and while ssb was moving on, the series changed drastically. So if they were to add him, it would only make sense to use the most recent representation because it has been changed since 5-6 years (add more because if they were to release a game on switch, likely add 3 years), not that the original one isn't relevant (in fact, pm64 was released in 1999-2000 so it's a pretty big streak of 3 games with the mario rpg idea), but this is such a change that it's impossible to overlook it.

So tbh, if Sakurai was to mostly consider the 2 lattest game, he wouldn't be dumb, it would be a logical decision.
ormaybeifmiyamoto****edofffromtheseries

Fledge

Smash Cadet
This is an earlier post, but I thought I would respond to it cause why not.

Sure, maybe this game will have similar mechanics to its previous game, but I doubt it's just a straight-up "deluxe" port. And who said that they haven't decided on the game's title yet? Keep in mind that since Sm4sh came out 4 years ago, we haven't heard anything about a new Smash title from Nintendo, and this teaser trailer came out of nowhere. Who knows what else they've been hiding from our public speculative eyes?
The time between Brawl and Smash 4 was almost 7 years, Smash 4 has only been out for 3 and a half (release in late 2014). Keep in mind the Wii U was practically dead in 2016 with the ramp up to the Switch release in early 2017, and Sakurai was already working on THIS project in 2016, less than 2 years into Smash 4's life when it was still getting patches. More likely than not he was asked to make an enhanced port for the game from the already dead system to Nintendo's new system to give it the lifespan it deserves and also to pad the Switch library to encourage buy-in.

Allow me to point out that Mario also had a similar design when Brawl came out after Melee, and nothing about his initial design suggested he had FLUDD on him. In fact, the only way you could see FLUDD was if it was used in-game as his Down Special. Same thing could be happening with this Mario in the next Smash title. As for Zelda, I'm not sure that's entirely accurate, since it's too hard to make out from that distance. BotW Link being a standalone clone makes zero sense because up until this point, the only "clones" we've seen of him is Majora's Mask Link from Melee, who was changed to Wind Waker Link in Brawl and Sm4sh to represent Link in his kid form, not just a Link from a different timeline.
You can clearly see Mario's hat in the Smash trailer, and it isn't Cappy from Super Mario Odyssey. This is probably because since it's a port they couldn't radically alter Mario's Wii U moveset to include Cappy, and also because Odyssey was being developed in tandem with this game so it would have been impossible anyways. And by enhanced clones, I mean like the way Lucina is to Marth. And there have already been multiple Links from different timelines in Smash games: In Smash 4 we had Twilight Princess Link and Wind Waker Toon Link, so it's not a stretch that they'd introduce BotW Link as his own character in addition.

Like I said before, who said they haven't decided on a name yet? And I think the reason as to why they aren't building hype the way you describe is probably the same reason as to why they stayed super quiet with Breath of the Wild's Champion's Ballad DLC, waiting right until the DLC's release date to post a trailer. They could have been working on this game right after releasing Sm4sh and alongside Breath of the Wild, and we wouldn't know.
No, I don't think that after the dreadful development cycle of Smash 4 that Sakurai would just jump right into making a new Smash game all willy nilly. Like I said he started this project in 2016 when the Wii U was already basically dead and Nintendo was betting big on the Switch. Most likely the project was probably to create an enhanced port for Nintendo's new system with new stages, new characters, new modes and improved online that will be coming with the Nintendo's new subscription system this year.

Even if that were the case, it's pretty odd that Nintendo released official trailers for ports like Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, and Bayonetta 2, and didn't do the same for this Smash title. Why leave us in the dark... and quite literally, might I add?
More likely than not, Nintendo is probably worried about backlash. Players already own the game for the Wii U and have spent over $100 in DLC, if Nintendo came out saying "look, we're porting Smash over to the Switch, it's better than the Wii U version so you have to get it for that system!" I think it would have a pretty flat reception. I can already hear the whining "I already own the game" or "I have to buy the game all over again AND a Switch" or "why didn't Nintendo include this all in the original, I'm being nickle-and-dimed here", etc. Keep in mind that a lot of people bought the game on the Wii U at full retail value, over $100 worth of DLC, and many more even double dipped buying it all also for the 3DS. With all the DLC/Lootbox controversies going on nowadays Nintendo doesn't want to get a huge blowback, and the thing is they've probably added so many improvements to the game that the port has way more than enough value to justify a complete repurchase, but Nintendo is toeing a very fine line between trying to assuage players doubts and encouraging them to get hype enough to buy what's essentially the same base game with a ton more bells and whistles and a fresh coat of paint.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I used to like when people used Phoenix Wright to argue stuff, but now I hate it. It just seems so cocky

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It's so cringey to hear people talk about the biggest game company on the planet like they know anything that goes on inside.

But, I seriously doubt companies give a **** if you bought a game on a previous console. You know why? Because you and they both know you're gonna buy it again. Loyal customers aren't gonna *****. They're going to SUPPORT. Especially with their money.

The fact that Super Smash Bros. is being released THIS year, implies it very well may be the case that this game secretly started development very shortly after Super Smash Bros for Wii U was released, or when DLC was complete. If the latter is the case then there's NO WAY it started from scratch.

So if development started immediately after the previous game, it would only be logical to reuse the characters you've already created, especially when VERY few have changed at all since development began on Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch.

I don't think the game is going to be a port anymore than Mario Tennis Aces is a port of Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. But, I can rest easy saying that it's not unrealistic to expect all the veterans from the last game to reappear. If we're talking about veterans, then Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch is most likely a port. If we're talking about anything else in terms of content, it's a brand new game.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I just realized a reason why they haven't revealed the title.

What would you call the port? Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Wii U for Nintendo Switch?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If this is a completely new game (or really even an enhanced port) I hope y'all learned a valuable lesson about believing Sakurai when he implies he's done with Smash. :p

Don't forget; he's here forever.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
See here's the problem.

Sakurai really doesn't have much to do with it. No matter which way it goes, it's Sakurai, he's a genius at moveset ideas which has been proven multiple time.

The problem is the most logical decision here. ssb as a series tries to reflect nintendo's franchises in a fighting game, that's prettu much the entire premise of the game. Now, that also means that if the franchises themselves were to change, changes should be made in ssb. Many existing characters got a lot of changes from ssbb because of this, new additions were also justified because of this. Now, sure, the characters may try to reflect the entire franchise history, but there's many many factor here, what is the most relevant about the franchise? What people are more aware about it? There's many factor that decides what would be a logical way to see a character.

But Paper Mario was never added in the game as of now and while ssb was moving on, the series changed drastically. So if they were to add him, it would only make sense to use the most recent representation because it has been changed since 5-6 years (add more because if they were to release a game on switch, likely add 3 years), not that the original one isn't relevant (in fact, pm64 was released in 1999-2000 so it's a pretty big streak of 3 games with the mario rpg idea), but this is such a change that it's impossible to overlook it.

So tbh, if Sakurai was to mostly consider the 2 lattest game, he wouldn't be dumb, it would be a logical decision.

EDIT: about the stage, this is a special case because I have no complains about it, at the time, the series had no representation so to have TTYD and ss was really the best, even I never expected a stage so I am actually happy about it.
You see, these are my exact thoughts too.

No way in hell Paper Mario will be made in a way that will please older fans with his moveset. This is why I would expect the worst.

D

Deleted member

Even if that were the case, it's pretty odd that Nintendo released official trailers for ports like Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, and Bayonetta 2, and didn't do the same for this Smash title. Why leave us in the dark... and quite literally, might I add?
Well, those showed gameplay and they basically said "yeah, these are new versions of the games you played on Wii U" on their trailers. If it were a port, one would think they would show gameplay, modes, everything-- even a launch date, on that Direct right away. That's what they do with ports. They did it with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Hyrule Warriors, Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, and now Captain Toad.

It makes no sense to release a trailer and hype up a port like this. Not to mention, that if it were a port from 3DS/Wii U, then the trailer would begin with the 3DS/Wii U "slash" intro. You've talked about Sakurai and co. developing this right after Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. I'm also convinced this is exactly what he did-- he took a break, a "breather," as he said, and then immediately began to work on his next project, which we now know is this Smash Bros. game. This wasn't announced years in advance like Brawl (E3 2005) and 3DS/Wii U (E3 2011) were, and we all know how long it took to get those games out. Let me put it this way (from a non-developer standpoint)... the more you develop a game in secret, the faster you progress through it, right? I feel that's the case here.

If this title is supposed to release this year, then I think it's very far into development in one way or the other. The base game, at least. I even think Sakurai already has the final game title in mind. I'm very much convinced this is a new title.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I used to like when people used Phoenix Wright to argue stuff, but now I hate it. It just seems so cocky
Well, that's definitely not the impression I wanted to give. Speculation and discussion should be fun and interesting, not about bashing each other or their thoughts/ideas. Sometimes, I feel like that's not how my posts get across or sometimes things get a bit too serious, so I like to lighten things up with a couple sprites and Ace Attorney jokes.
Then again, my efforts to please everybody are futile, since this is the internet.

Alright, to rebut the rebuttal.
The time between Brawl and Smash 4 was almost 7 years, Smash 4 has only been out for 3 and a half (release in late 2014). Keep in mind the Wii U was practically dead in 2016 with the ramp up to the Switch release in early 2017, and Sakurai was already working on THIS project in 2016, less than 2 years into Smash 4's life when it was still getting patches. More likely than not he was asked to make an enhanced port for the game from the already dead system to Nintendo's new system to give it the lifespan it deserves and also to pad the Switch library to encourage buy-in.
I don't like assuming what a particular person or company is doing unless sources are provided. Business is a whole another realm to me. Like I said before, we don't know how long this title has been in development for, so it could have started any time after Sm4sh released for the Wii U.
You can clearly see Mario's hat in the Smash trailer, and it isn't Cappy from Super Mario Odyssey. This is probably because since it's a port they couldn't radically alter Mario's Wii U moveset to include Cappy, and also because Odyssey was being developed in tandem with this game so it would have been impossible anyways. And by enhanced clones, I mean like the way Lucina is to Marth. And there have already been multiple Links from different timelines in Smash games: In Smash 4 we had Twilight Princess Link and Wind Waker Toon Link, so it's not a stretch that they'd introduce BotW Link as his own character in addition.
I think you have a misconception about how Cappy works in Super Mario Odyssey. Cappy's eyes can appear AND disappear at will in that game, allowing the player to see the cap's base design in full. Usually, Cappy's eyes will appear when Mario goes idle for a certain amount of time or when Mario throws his cap.
Again, you are making assumptions without source material to back it up. Super Mario Odyssey being developed in tandem with this new Smash title has nothing to do with character revamps or new designs not getting in considering Link himself got a new design for the trailer. We don't know how long Nintendo has been working on this title.
And by own character, do you mean BotW Link having his own slot on the roster next to TP Link and WW Link? Because if so, I find that unlikely and unnecessary considering Link consistently has had one Adult version and one Kid version to represent him for the past 3 Smash games. I doubt Link would have 2 Adult clones, if that's what you're implying. BotW Link will be the new Adult Link this time around, and his "clone" character remains to be seen.

No, I don't think that after the dreadful development cycle of Smash 4 that Sakurai would just jump right into making a new Smash game all willy nilly. Like I said he started this project in 2016 when the Wii U was already basically dead and Nintendo was betting big on the Switch. Most likely the project was probably to create an enhanced port for Nintendo's new system with new stages, new characters, new modes and improved online that will be coming with the Nintendo's new subscription system this year.
Again, you should probably provide evidence from Nintendo's official statements or even a news site/page if you're going to be saying this sort of stuff. I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but we really don't know how long Nintendo has been working on this title.
More likely than not, Nintendo is probably worried about backlash. Players already own the game for the Wii U and have spent over $100 in DLC, if Nintendo came out saying "look, we're porting Smash over to the Switch, it's better than the Wii U version so you have to get it for that system!" I think it would have a pretty flat reception. I can already hear the whining "I already own the game" or "I have to buy the game all over again AND a Switch" or "why didn't Nintendo include this all in the original, I'm being nickle-and-dimed here", etc. Keep in mind that a lot of people bought the game on the Wii U at full retail value, over $100 worth of DLC, and many more even double dipped buying it all also for the 3DS. With all the DLC/Lootbox controversies going on nowadays Nintendo doesn't want to get a huge blowback, and the thing is they've probably added so many improvements to the game that the port has way more than enough value to justify a complete repurchase, but Nintendo is toeing a very fine line between trying to assuage players doubts and encouraging them to get hype enough to buy what's essentially the same base game with a ton more bells and whistles and a fresh coat of paint.
Source material, please. Anything to back up what you're saying here about Nintendo's business practices being similar to that of shady game companies.
You're making it sound like Nintendo's desperate for a cash grab on a franchise that has done really well over the course of two decades and has consistently made it on every Nintendo console (excluding handhelds) released. I don't believe Nintendo would act this sloppy with a franchise that puts many of their beloved Nintendo characters in the spotlight, especially at this point. Sure, they can reuse assets and mechanics from the previous game (like they did with Brawl to Sm4sh), but to try to hype up a mere port when cashgrabs like Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, and Hyrule Warriors already exist? It doesn't make sense to me.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Well, that's definitely not the impression I wanted to give. Speculation and discussion should be fun and interesting, not about bashing each other or their thoughts/ideas. Sometimes, I feel like that's not how my posts get across or sometimes things get a bit too serious, so I like to lighten things up with a couple sprites and Ace Attorney jokes.
Then again, my efforts to please everybody are futile, since this is the internet.

Alright, to rebut the rebuttal.

I don't like assuming what a particular person or company is doing unless sources are provided. Business is a whole another realm to me. Like I said before, we don't know how long this title has been in development for, so it could have started any time after Sm4sh released for the Wii U.

I think you have a misconception about how Cappy works in Super Mario Odyssey. Cappy's eyes can appear AND disappear at will in that game, allowing the player to see the cap's base design in full. Usually, Cappy's eyes will appear when Mario goes idle for a certain amount of time or when Mario throws his cap.
Again, you are making assumptions without source material to back it up. Super Mario Odyssey being developed in tandem with this new Smash title has nothing to do with character revamps or new designs not getting in considering Link himself got a new design for the trailer. We don't know how long Nintendo has been working on this title.
And by own character, do you mean BotW Link having his own slot on the roster next to TP Link and WW Link? Because if so, I find that unlikely and unnecessary considering Link consistently has had one Adult version and one Kid version to represent him for the past 3 Smash games. I doubt Link would have 2 Adult clones, if that's what you're implying. BotW Link will be the new Adult Link this time around, and his "clone" character remains to be seen.

Again, you should probably provide evidence from Nintendo's official statements or even a news site/page if you're going to be saying this sort of stuff. I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but we really don't know how long Nintendo has been working on this title.

Source material, please. Anything to back up what you're saying here about Nintendo's business practices being similar to that of shady game companies.
You're making it sound like Nintendo's desperate for a cash grab on a franchise that has done really well over the course of two decades and has consistently made it on every Nintendo console (excluding handhelds) released. I don't believe Nintendo would act this sloppy with a franchise that puts many of their beloved Nintendo characters in the spotlight, especially at this point. Sure, they can reuse assets and mechanics from the previous game (like they did with Brawl to Sm4sh), but to try to hype up a mere port when cashgrabs like Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, and Hyrule Warriors already exist? It doesn't make sense to me.
Sorry man, wasn't trying to imply anything, just making a general observation. Sorry for being a ****

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Something I’d like to see would be to have Chrom redeem himself and be meme’d err... revealed as a playable fighter on July 14th, 2018. The meme storm would be glorious.
Considering how Smash made him into a joke character of sorts, that could actually work in his favor here with a rather unique moveset. Heck, take inspiration from FEH and TMS and have him swing the Carrot Axe around and have him smack opponents with Sack ‘o Gifts or throw said gifts instead or lightning attacks, pick a microphone and do Back Chorus or any of Itsuki’s specials.
Having come from the very days where Chrom was reduced to a meme mine after enjoying the character beforehand, I think it's best let the deadbeat lords lie (on the ground). Just bring him back as a Final Smash again - would be enough to allow him a second run of memes where he attempts to get in as a playable but gets Falcon Punched by :4falcon: again for ton of meme-themed fan comic ideas. Everyone would be pretty happy.

To him being a joke character though, would cement too much how much Smash can twist characters to something unrecognizable from their original games, something that doesn't really fly well to most fans here so far (:4wario2::4ganondorf:).

And well, it'd be pretty shallow to give a newcome this kind of treatment if he's gonna become playable. Even if it's Chrom.

Oh man though, I have basically have dropped any association with that character anywhere I go due just how unbelievably strong his Yamcha-esque status has gotten over these years. Don't understand how much can one series have so much power ruining a character for me just because it happens to have very self-aware sense of humor and fans who love that. It's also why I have been averse on Daisy as well despite playing her back in Mario Kart 8 back in the day.

Last edited:

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I miss all of this speculation.

Anyways, on the topic of Mario reps, I feel that there are three likely candidates: Captain Toad, Paper Mario and Waluigi.
Although I won't mind Captain Toad or Paper Mario being added, Waluigi would be glorious.

D

Deleted member

I would have liked this if you did not get a warning, but that is honestly port believers in a nutshell.
Guys, I think we are getting a new game. Smash for Switch is not going to be a port of Smash 4, guys. I mean the logo is completely different as well and Hal is working on the game instead of Namco.

Something interesting is the title moves in the same position as Melee and Brawl's does, but not Smash 4. This could mean to expect something really different than Smash 4 or any Smash Brothers game.

I fully believe 100% that this is a new game instead of a port.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
I would have liked this if you did not get a warning, but that is honestly port believers in a nutshell.
Guys, I think we are getting a new game. Smash for Switch is not going to be a port of Smash 4, guys. I mean the logo is completely different as well and Hal is working on the game instead of Namco.

Something interesting is the title moves in the same position as Melee and Brawl's does, but not Smash 4. This could mean to expect something really different than Smash 4 or any Smash Brothers game.

I personally believe that it is using the same engine as Smash 4. I think this Smash is to Smash 4 the same way Majora's Mask is to Ocarina of Time.

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Rather than debating whether SSBS (Super Smash Bros. Switch) is a "new" game, I think it might be more productive to discuss to which extent it is going to be new. In other words, thinking with a spectrum mindset rather than a binary one. How much Smash Switch will be different in ambiance, gameplay and content interests me more than the semantics of calling it a "new" game or not.

Here's how I imagine SSBS could be like:
- Ambiance: updated to feel different: a new main theme; revamped menu appearance; updated appearance for some staples like Battlefield, Final Destination and Home-Run Contest. But with similarities: cartoony art style very similar to Smash Wii U; recycled character artworks from the previous generation of Smash.
- Gameplay: physics similar to SSB4; numerous moveset updates, from mere data updates to some major changes; updated Classic and Event modes.
- Content: increased priority given to recovering content from SSB4, meaning less cuts but also a lower amount of new content compared to something like the Brawl > SSB4 transition; different game modes.

Overall I imagine it different enough to be more than an enhanced port, but not different to its predecessor to the same extent Brawl and SSB4 were. Somewhere in between Melee-to-Brawl and SSB3DS-to-SSBU in term of how different it feels I'd say. At least different enough so I could call it a "new" game in binary terms, but still taking plenty of assets from Smash Wii U.

Here are some reasons why I'm expecting something like that:
- unlike the last two generations of Smash, Sakurai started developing this one almost as soon as SSB4 DLC ended (only after a vacation that probably wasn't very long), and combined with the poor performance of the Wii U, it probably means Nintendo wanted to see a HD Smash on a more successful home console;
- while it's true that the 3DS version helped making SSB4 more successful, being only playable on an handheld makes it less flexible than being playable as both a home and portable console game like the Switch, but beyond player experience, there's a business reason to do that: DLCs. They sold better on Wii U than 3DS (https://gonintendo.com/stories/2567...d-sales-and-dlc-breakdown-by-region-top-selle) in spite of the fact the 3DS version sold more. So it seems that DLCs on a fighting game sell better on a home console than on an handheld, and a better install base on Switch combined with the higher DLC sales on a home console means more profit for Nintendo; (and by the way I'm also telling how confident I am about the fact SSBS is going to get post-release paid DLC)
- the SSBS teaser's artstyle seems similar to that of SSB4 trailers like Mega Man's of Shulk's for example (in fact it was the teaser's artstyle which made me expect it to be about Smash before the logo's appearance);
- recycling character artworks would mean there would be no need to redesign Smash amiibo, all Nintendo would have to do is to reprint them without changing the amiibo themselves, just updating the packaging;
- in addition, without a major artstyle shift, SSB4 character artworks can be recycled without an artstyle clash;
- not having to do a major art shift would mean a higher amount of assets that can be taken back from Smash Wii U, which would mean a better recovery rate of data from the previous Smash entry and make development faster, and as I expressed it before, the considerably shorter pre-release period could likely be due in part of a lower amount of new characters (unless Nintendo is revealing new characters at a much higher rate than during the SSB3DS pre-release period).

... but maybe I'm just biased by my personal want of getting minimal or no cuts and being ready to accept a lower number of new characters for that. Some part of me is hopeful that a possible higher focus on returning characters than on newcomers compared to previous entries, combined with post-release DLCs to compensate for cuts, then we may have a hope to see every SSB4 character back.

Edit: I didn't take into account the fact BotW Link is right-handed, which has some implications on some things I said. Either he will be an exception and his SSB4 artwork will be scrapped (to be fair I'm not really satisfied with this hypothesis because it feels like it's moving the goalposts), or having a left-handed alt will not have any impact on gameplay and hitboxes (not sure about that), or my hypothesis about recycled SSB4 character artworks must be scrapped.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

At the very least, I'm still expecting this to be a game with mechanics from the Wii U version ported over. It would honestly be a wasted time-saving opportunity to not carry over the 50+ different character models and redesign them.

Now are the returning stages (assuming a few stages will get cut, which is bound to happen to at least the Miiverse stage) going to be completely redesigned as well? I want to think so, but if development time is limited, that might not be the best idea, especially if the new stages take a while to complete. Lord knows how much meticulous detail will be put in the inevitable BotW and Odyssey stages.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
All in all, Smash 4 cuts weren't that many and it was a new game. Snake, Ice Climbers, Wolf, Squirtle and Ivysaur were the cuts, which isn't that much. 4 out of 5 of them were imho inevitable for tecnical and licesing issues, the only cut made out of time restraints being Wolf basically. Snake was surely because of Konami, not much you can do about that. Ice Climbers we know were ready and playable on WiiU, but being impossible for them to be on 3DS they were cut. Squirtle and Ivysaur again were cut because of 3DS, if Pokémon Trainer was a feasable thing on 3DS they would still be in.
I mean, of 39 characters, only one (Wolf) was cut apparently "just because". And to be honest, it's Wolf. I love him but it's not nearly as close to be the most important character. Smash 4 even brought back 2 characters from Melee, so we can round up the cuts to only 3 characters basically.
That's the reason why I don't think Smash 5 will see more than 5 cut characters, some because of licensing (Cloud?), some because... Because (and basically only Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, Lucina and Roy are in that category, all characters that could be easily be sacrificed).
People afraid or hoping characters like Bayonetta, Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk and stuff like that could be cut are just delusional. There's really not a single reason to believe that's a possibility.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Gosh, is this happening again?

It's been a while. I've never been big on the smash scene, but I always love the speculation, the chaos of these boards, and when the game releases, what everyone discovers. I'm fairly certain SSB Switch is kind of like Splatoon 2, in that much of the base game follows from 4, but there's enough new content that it can be called a new game.

Just a brief couple of things from me:

1. I really, really hope that should Sonic return, we get a non-Green Hill Zone inspired stage, and more music that isn't a stage 1 or a vocal. My dream stage is Stardust Speedway (especially Mania's Act 1) but I'll take Studiopolis!

2. I've got a more controversial thought on FE's representation, but I'll probably better explain it should a certain character's support thread comes up. Let's just say that Fire Emblem Heroes DOES have a good rep.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I think it's so weird everyone seems so sure as to whether it's a port or a new release. Seems like Smash 4 leaked roster analyzation all over again. Everyone remembers the photoshopped Little Mac meme, but but people don't remember that the majority of people actual believed that.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I think it's so weird everyone seems so sure as to whether it's a port or a new release. Seems like Smash 4 leaked roster analyzation all over again. Everyone remembers the photoshopped Little Mac meme, but but people don't remember that the majority of people actual believed that.
It's a new game. People have doubts about this because of the **** rumors floating around by people which demonstrated time ant time again they know nothing, but it's a new game. It's been four years for Christ's sake. Between Brawl and Smash 4 there were 6 years sure, but also Kid Icarus: Uprising which is a huge game. If you look at it, Smash 5 probably got more time in the hoven that Smash 4 really.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
It's a new game. People have doubts about this because of the **** rumors floating around by people which demonstrated time ant time again they know nothing, but it's a new game. It's been four years for Christ's sake. Between Brawl and Smash 4 there were 6 years sure, but also Kid Icarus: Uprising which is a huge game. If you look at it, Smash 5 probably got more time in the hoven that Smash 4 really.
I'd love for it to be a new game, and don't get me wrong some things seem to hint at it sure, but until it's straight up said in no uncertain terms, this is a brand new Smash, I a'int buying into anything. I've seen things get mistranslated and misinterpreted time and time again in the past, and seen my hopes drop like a rock. Keeping my expectations is check this time.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'd love for it to be a new game, and don't get me wrong some things seem to hint at it sure, but until it's straight up said in no uncertain terms, this is a brand new Smash, I a'int buying into anything. I've seen things get mistranslated and misinterpreted time and time again in the past, and seen my hopes drop like a rock. Keeping my expectations is check this time.
Trust me, it's new. Literally not a single hint at it being a port has any leverage, except rumors which talked about this game being a LAUNCH TITLE for the Switch. The moment Smash Bros. didn't get a launch date we should've stopped listening to those idiots, and that's the reason of the doubts around here right now. Literally no reason for it to be a port.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
All in all, Smash 4 cuts weren't that many and it was a new game. Snake, Ice Climbers, Wolf, Squirtle and Ivysaur were the cuts, which isn't that much. 4 out of 5 of them were imho inevitable for tecnical and licesing issues, the only cut made out of time restraints being Wolf basically. Snake was surely because of Konami, not much you can do about that. Ice Climbers we know were ready and playable on WiiU, but being impossible for them to be on 3DS they were cut. Squirtle and Ivysaur again were cut because of 3DS, if Pokémon Trainer was a feasable thing on 3DS they would still be in.
I mean, of 39 characters, only one (Wolf) was cut apparently "just because". And to be honest, it's Wolf. I love him but it's not nearly as close to be the most important character. Smash 4 even brought back 2 characters from Melee, so we can round up the cuts to only 3 characters basically.
That's the reason why I don't think Smash 5 will see more than 5 cut characters, some because of licensing (Cloud?), some because... Because (and basically only Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, Lucina and Roy are in that category, all characters that could be easily be sacrificed).
People afraid or hoping characters like Bayonetta, Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk and stuff like that could be cut are just delusional. There's really not a single reason to believe that's a possibility.
Even though he returned, I think we should include Lucas as a cut too, especially since Sakurai stated that Mewtwo was originally going to be the only DLC character.

Anyway, if a few characters were to get cut in this game, clones, semi-clones, and third-parties are automatically the biggest contenders just going off previous Smash titles. I can't imagine anyone besides the characters you listed (:4drmario::4lucina::4darkpit::4feroy::4cloud:[possibly:4lucas:too]) as being in serious danger of getting cut, but nothing is out of the realm of possibility. We could pick up Smash Switch and find out that someone completely random like Corrin or Greninja got cut with little to no explanation why.

It's better to prepare yourself for the worst and be pleasantly surprised that you were wrong.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If this is a completely new game (or really even an enhanced port) I hope y'all learned a valuable lesson about believing Sakurai when he implies he's done with Smash. :p

Don't forget; he's here forever.
Or at least until the Grim Reaper finally has his soul. Anyway, this thread's activity sure has increased while I was out doing other things.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Sakurai just changed the timer from 2 minutes to infinite, simple as that.

Nice sig by the way.

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I just realized a reason why they haven't revealed the title.

What would you call the port? Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Wii U for Nintendo Switch?
Well, they didn't call the Wii U version: Super Smash Bros. for 3DS for Wii U. :p So what you really mean is Super Smash Bros. for 3DS for Wii U for Nintendo Switch.

...I kinda love that actually. :laugh:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Roy is safe as h*ck, imo.

Sakurai knows the fans love him, he’s a semi clone so he’s not too hard to bring back, and according to the 1st Choose Your Legends poll, Roy is the fourth most popular character in the franchise. His addition to Smash 4 might have been fanservice, but I doubt Sakurai would cut him again.

(that said, despite my avatar I really wouldn’t mind so long as he got replaced with someone like Hector or Celica)

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I'm just curious as to how Captain Toad would be implemented into Smash. Isn't his main flaw not being able to jump?
A lot of characters in Smash couldn't jump in their original games.

PJSpadez

Smash Rookie
Wasn't there a press release that stated that "the series returns on the Switch with an all-new game"?

Also, the song in the trailer is unlike any of the existing Smash Bros. theme songs.
Why would they create a brand new theme song for a port?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Roy is safe as h*ck, imo.

Sakurai knows the fans love him, he’s a semi clone so he’s not too hard to bring back, and according to the 1st Choose Your Legends poll, Roy is the fourth most popular character in the franchise. His addition to Smash 4 might have been fanservice, but I doubt Sakurai would cut him again.

(that said, despite my avatar I really wouldn’t mind so long as he got replaced with someone like Hector or Celica)
At this point Roy is more of a smash bros. character than a FE character, just like Captain Falcon.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Why is it that even in today's climate, people argue about the most irrelevant things? WHETHER IT'S A PORT OR NOT DOESN'T MATTER! Jeez! Arguing about this is both irrelevant and pointless. Irrelevant in the sense that we're still guaranteed to get new content and pointless because the game is already set to release this year! ARGUING WHETHER OR NOT IT'S A PORT OR A NEW GAME WON'T CHANGE WHAT IT ACTUALLY IS!

So yeah, let's talk about something worth speculating over, like potential game modes, the possibility of more DLC, or new stages. Hell, Ridley's even more relevant than this dribble.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Why is it that even in today's climate, people argue about the most irrelevant things? WHETHER IT'S A PORT OR NOT DOESN'T MATTER! Jeez! Arguing about this is both irrelevant and pointless. Irrelevant in the sense that we're still guaranteed to get new content and pointless because the game is already set to release this year! ARGUING WHETHER OR NOT IT'S A PORT OR A NEW GAME WON'T CHANGE WHAT IT ACTUALLY IS!

So yeah, let's talk about something worth speculating over, like potential game modes, the possibility of more DLC, or new stages. Hell, Ridley's even more relevant than this dribble.
Whether or not it's a full port DOES matter. A port won't have nearly as much new content as a full-blown new game. Some is good, but more is better, right?

Seems like something worth talking about to me.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014

the point of this thread is to speculate, by that logic we shouldn't discuss anything ever because whatever we discuss wouldn't change what the game would be.

Just let people have fun, dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom