• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Announcement:

Do not freak out if your support thread has disappeared. I am in the process of restructuring this area.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
oh man my favorite part is coming back
i missed being able to yell at people over character choices

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Announcement:

Do not freak out if your support thread has disappeared. I am in the process of restructuring this area.
I was about to say, since I did recently make a post at the Toad support thread, and seeing that thread disappear is making me be concerned.

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
As for characters I would like to see, they are: Paper Mario (not Sticker Star, Paper Jam, or Color Splash versions), Sora, and Geno. Splitting the next part up since I want to go into details. The first 3 characters are from the game Glory of Heracles for the DS (it got a horrible remix of it's boss theme in Smash that did not do it justice but I lost my mind when I unlocked it, really wanted a rep in and at least assured myself they will get a song akin to how other niche games got represented. Her is an article with pictures of the protagonists. http://www.siliconera.com/2010/01/07/meet-the-heroes-in-glory-of-heracles/

• Leucos: Tomboy princess that wields a dagger, fire magic (that slows the game to a crawl and is louder than anything I have heard on a DS when you use it's strongest variation; I spammed due to how I loved the slowdown, ear-**** sound (SANIC LEVELS) and all the screen flashing)). Did I mention that she has a kick combo where she jumps on the enemy, kicks them while in a cool pose, dives her dagger in the foe and rips it out?
  • Iris: Child Dark mage who has a comedic run (legs are replaced with dashes and circles). When her staff hits an opponent, the sfx is childish yet hilarious when it kills.
  • Later in the game, she transforms into her "true-self" which is a teenaged Iris complete with wings. Her demeanor changes from child-like to FF7 Cloud.
  • Axios: Long-haired Goldilocks in royal garb. He is an archer that wields Ice magic. Attracts ladies like a fly-trap.
    Later in the game he fuses with a pirate (who is a recurring NPC that helps out the party) can transform into a massive beast that is their true form to weaken the final boss. They were actually two halves of a soul or something.
    [*]When they mergd, Axios clothes are now tattered and he has a slight psrsonality change due to being merged with pirate. Attacks have new animations and he is now female-fanservice.
  • Isa and Kachi from Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. Kachi has a tail and Isa is some new generation of the original protagonist Saiki (the assist trophy guy). They have really flashy combat with flying on jetpacks, hoverboards, guns, laser swords, and different gameplay mechanics. The OST for the main menu of that game is amazing, it gets you hype.
-

For the roster size I am hoping it is larger than Marvel vs. Capcom 2's 58-man roster which Smash 4 tied with (counting each Mii class as a seperate fighter). I really hoped Smash 4 would shatter that milestone since no official fighting game has done so.

D

Deleted member

I might of found a third fighter hidden, the potentially last. This is in the middle of Fox, Bowser and Captain Falcon in the photo.
awwa - Copy (3).jpg

I am siding with either Olimar or Toon Link, because both are small. I kind of see a long antenna but that is just me.
This may not be a fighter, but I am curious as I see glowing in the area of top in the middle of Fox, Bowser and Captain Falcon. So this could be a fighter.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
If this is a semi-port and characters like Link are getting revamped then Alph needs to be made into his own character. "Needs".

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
One thing I do hope is characters who didn't appear in the hd character trailers finally do appear in at least one. Like Ness, Lucas, R.O.B, the DLC characters etc.

D

Deleted member

How many more additions do you think we will get this game? We already know the Inklings are in and there's going to be more than just them. Assuming this is an enhanced port or an expansion like Splatoon 2, I'm guessing five more. These are what I am thinking:

- Ice Climber
- Wolf
- Spring Man
- Mimikyu/Incineroar/Lycanroc
- Bomberman
As for characters I would like to see, they are: Paper Mario (not Sticker Star, Paper Jam, or Color Splash versions), Sora, and Geno. Splitting the next part up since I want to go into details. The first 3 characters are from the game Glory of Heracles for the DS (it got a horrible remix of it's boss theme in Smash that did not do it justice but I lost my mind when I unlocked it, really wanted a rep in and at least assured myself they will get a song akin to how other niche games got represented. Her is an article with pictures of the protagonists. http://www.siliconera.com/2010/01/07/meet-the-heroes-in-glory-of-heracles/

• Leucos: Tomboy princess that wields a dagger, fire magic (that slows the game to a crawl and is louder than anything I have heard on a DS when you use it's strongest variation; I spammed due to how I loved the slowdown, ear-**** sound (SANIC LEVELS) and all the screen flashing)). Did I mention that she has a kick combo where she jumps on the enemy, kicks them while in a cool pose, dives her dagger in the foe and rips it out?
  • Iris: Child Dark mage who has a comedic run (legs are replaced with dashes and circles). When her staff hits an opponent, the sfx is childish yet hilarious when it kills.
  • Later in the game, she transforms into her "true-self" which is a teenaged Iris complete with wings. Her demeanor changes from child-like to FF7 Cloud.
  • Axios: Long-haired Goldilocks in royal garb. He is an archer that wields Ice magic. Attracts ladies like a fly-trap.
    Later in the game he fuses with a pirate (who is a recurring NPC that helps out the party) can transform into a massive beast that is their true form to weaken the final boss. They were actually two halves of a soul or something.
    [*]When they mergd, Axios clothes are now tattered and he has a slight psrsonality change due to being merged with pirate. Attacks have new animations and he is now female-fanservice.
  • Isa and Kachi from Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. Kachi has a tail and Isa is some new generation of the original protagonist Saiki (the assist trophy guy). They have really flashy combat with flying on jetpacks, hoverboards, guns, laser swords, and different gameplay mechanics. The OST for the main menu of that game is amazing, it gets you hype.
-

For the roster size I am hoping it is larger than Marvel vs. Capcom 2's 58-man roster which Smash 4 tied with (counting each Mii class as a seperate fighter). I really hoped Smash 4 would shatter that milestone since no official fighting game has done so.
There's the Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi games (especially 3) but then again, balancing 160+ characters isn't feasible. But this game will probably do that.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
How many more additions do you think we will get this game? We already know the Inklings are in and there's going to be more than just them. Assuming this is an enhanced port or an expansion like Splatoon 2, I'm guessing five more. These are what I am thinking:

- Ice Climber
- Wolf
- Spring Man
- Mimikyu/Incineroar/Lycanroc
- BombermanThere's the Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi games (especially 3) but then again, balancing 160+ characters isn't feasible. But this game will probably do that.
What happened to Decidueye and Primarina?

Announcement:

I was wondering what the hell was going on. Thanks for all the work

Good luck mods. The new activity is back. The slump is over. It's all hard work from here. Good thing there are 5 of you. Makes me kind of miss being a mod.
:061:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I was wondering what the hell was going on. Thanks for all the work

Good luck mods. The new activity is back. The slump is over. It's all hard work from here. Good thing there are 5 of you. Makes me kind of miss being a mod.
well then get your coat back
you all are gonna need people

especially the 35 guests
you know who you are

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
OK so I got a prediction here.

So assuming this is a new installment, when the game first launches, we get a roster that is apparently smaller than Smash 4; all the needed vets are there; Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Bowser, Peach, etc., alongside some newcomers. This roster would put some emphasis on repping as many franchises as possible - the vets that have been around since Melee at least, with a few Brawl and Smash 4 vets sprinkled in. I'd wager this number is somewhere in the 30- 45 range.

However, even though the roster is initially smaller, we will get free updates a la Splatoon and ARMS; these will continually expand the roster to eventually be bigger than any previous entry. The number they will end on depends on how long they support the game/how many characters they're willing to make. This could open up for several possibilities; the most obvious of which being the chance to use more characters through time. This could also be the ticket for some vets that missed the initial roster to get back in, as well as reintroducing some cut veterans from previous games. Furthermore, these veterans could get some updates to make them feel fresh and new; Link has already been shown in his The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild incarnation, so it isn't too far-fetched. And, of course, more newcomers could be included as well. The best case scenario would be another iteration of the Smash Ballot; like with Smash 4, players could vote for newcomers they want the most and the roster is decided based on that - sort of like Bayonetta in Smash 4 but now this applies to other characters. This last bit I'm less confident in, though I'd feel satisfied with generally everything else.

I feel the fact they're real ominous about this game's state as a new game or port and the fact it's coming later this year are signs that something like this may happen.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I'm less than hyped for this game right now, for two reasons.

1. Besides the strong implications that Inklings are going to be playable and Link is rocking his latest makeover, we don't know anything else that's new about this year's Super Smash Bros.
  2. I passed out from sleep deprivation literally half an hour before the Direct started and I missed the entire thing, and I'm still bitter.

well then get your coat back
you all are gonna need people

especially the 35 guests
you know who you are
After leaving in less than a year, and them already having 5 mods here, I would be shocked if they even let me come back TBH. And with college, I certainly wouldnt be as active as I once was. Them taking me back would be likelier than smash showing up in a dir. . .oh
:p

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I hope so.
60+ roster is something I don't want to go through the trouble of unlocking. That's a lot of stuff.
The entire roster has never been unlockable from the start. That’s part of the allure of Smash. What confounded thing do I have to do to unlock “insert newcomer/locked character”. That begin said, the roster does always get larger, but I also think we are getting to a point where there isn’t anyone else that deserves a spot on the roster, but that could change. Be it a popular new IP, a 3rd party character, or a character given new life (ala Pit.)

What I think will happen is we will have 40-45 (give or take) characters from the start, and we will have to unlock 15-20 (give or take.)

And then there’s always DLC characters. Which we all know is going to happen. It was a cash cow for Nintendo last time, they’d be foolish not to do it again.

D

Deleted member

What happened to Decidueye and Primarina?
From what I recall, Decidueye is not that notable. Sure he's appeared in Pokkén Tournament DX but I don't think he's prominent in advertisement. The best he has gotten so far is a minor appearances while Rowlet is considerably popular than Decidueye. As for Primarina, I rarely see it discussed anywhere so I'm not sure what it has going for it.

Also Mimikyu, Incineroar, and Lyncanroc appeared in the last poll that showed up on here, Mimikyu on #2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
After leaving in less than a year, and them already having 5 mods here, I would be shocked if they even let me come back TBH. And with college, I certainly wouldnt be as active as I once was. Them taking me back would be likelier than smash showing up in a dir. . .oh
:p

well see man there you go
go to college to be a smashboards mod i'm sure that's a degree

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
From what I recall, Decidueye is not that notable. Sure he's appeared in Pokkén Tournament DX but I don't think he's prominent in advertisement. The best he has gotten so far is a minor appearances while Rowlet is considerably popular than Decidueye. As for Primarina, I rarely see it discussed anywhere.
I think he has the most potential of the three. A grass/ghost archer would bring something new.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I wanna see more unlockable characters that the average joe doesn't know about. Ayumi, Starfy, Chibi-Robo...

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Quick question.

Does the veteran thread area mean it's time for threads on every veteran now? Not just characters like Young Link or Snake?

Probably should at least hold off a day I guess while people just get situated from they hype but making assumptions here.
That area is for characters that have been in Smash games before......Wolf, Took Link, Pichu, Mario, Link, etc.

D

Deleted member

OK so I got a prediction here.

So assuming this is a new installment, when the game first launches, we get a roster that is apparently smaller than Smash 4; all the needed vets are there; Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Bowser, Peach, etc., alongside some newcomers. This roster would put some emphasis on repping as many franchises as possible - the vets that have been around since Melee at least, with a few Brawl and Smash 4 vets sprinkled in. I'd wager this number is somewhere in the 30- 45 range.

However, even though the roster is initially smaller, we will get free updates a la Splatoon and ARMS; these will continually expand the roster to eventually be bigger than any previous entry. The number they will end on depends on how long they support the game/how many characters they're willing to make. This could open up for several possibilities; the most obvious of which being the chance to use more characters through time. This could also be the ticket for some vets that missed the initial roster to get back in, as well as reintroducing some cut veterans from previous games. Furthermore, these veterans could get some updates to make them feel fresh and new; Link has already been shown in his The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild incarnation, so it isn't too far-fetched. And, of course, more newcomers could be included as well. The best case scenario would be another iteration of the Smash Ballot; like with Smash 4, players could vote for newcomers they want the most and the roster is decided based on that - sort of like Bayonetta in Smash 4 but now this applies to other characters. This last bit I'm less confident in, though I'd feel satisfied with generally everything else.

I feel the fact they're real ominous about this game's state as a new game or port and the fact it's coming later this year are signs that something like this may happen.
This could actually be a thing. If this is a new game, I can see the taking this route. It makes sense, Smash is coming earlier than expected and perhaps it can allow the franchise to make big game play changes while eventually delivering on the expectations of "bigger than ever" down the road.
I think he has the most potential of the three. A grass/ghost archer would bring something new.
Not to say that wouldn't be interesting, but that applies to most any Pokémon. They could pick obscure Pokémon #847 and it would still bring something new. Now that Gen 7 is already on its way, that's not going to help it get in.

It's promotion potentials that's going to be the crucial deciding factor in a newcomer and they're going to pick the one that will be the most memorable after Gen 7 is over. If Decidueye not showing up in the latest Pokémon poll is a reflection of his popularity, that's not a good sign.

Last edited by a moderator:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
It needs to be noted (if it hasn't already) that the copyright in the lower right corner at the end of the trailer says "Original game by Nintendo/HAL Labs".

So they're not immediately announcing who's developing this one...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It needs to be noted (if it hasn't already) that the copyright in the lower right corner at the end of the trailer says "Original game by Nintendo/HAL Labs".

Pretty much. What we do know is Sakurai is clearly on the team in some way. But that's it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
D

Deleted member

That makes me wonder, since Namco Bandai is developing Metroid Prime 4, could they be working on two different Nintendo games? Or is another developer taking over?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
That makes me wonder, since Namco Bandai is developing Metroid Prime 4, could they be working on two different Nintendo games? Or is another developer taking over?
I'm sure Namco can field two teams, but are they in this case?

At this point, I trust Namco more than Sakurai with the franchise. Brawl was a raging disaster and melee a happy accident.

I hope Sakurai has come around to the idea that SSB can be both a party and competitive game and embraces that fully (*coughtrippingcough*).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really hope this is Smash 5 and not Smash 4 Switch.

I want many newcomers and many new stages and many new items and many new Assist Trophies. I want many new stuff to justify calling it Smash 5 instead of Smash 4 Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom