• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JIO_M

Smash Rookie
Yeah I guess I consider it at least an indication that it is a more enhanced port than I was suspecting. My initial thoughts were literally Smash 4 + skins + Inklings, which is pretty low effort. If Sakurai has been working as hard as he claims, it might be a bit more than that.
Yes.At this very moment, giving what we know, i think it´s the most probable one.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think that these Nintendo characters and third-party characters have good chances of getting in Smash Switch just because they were in today's Nintendo Direct... the same Nintendo Direct that announced Smash Switch.

Confirmed newcomers
  • Inklings (Splatoon 2)
Possible Nintendo newcomers
  • Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby Star Allies)
  • Captain Toad (Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker)
  • Dillon (Dillon’s Dead-Heat Breakers)
  • Spring Man (Arms)
  • Chain Chomp (Mario Tennis Aces)
Possible third-party newcomers
  • Amaterasu (Okami HD)
  • Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy)
  • Solaire of Astora (Dark Souls Remastered)
  • Travis Touchdown (Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes)
We know the real mvp from that aces gameplay...

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'll be completely honest, I am shocked that this is happening so fast.

Even faster than Pokemon of all things.

But that aside, I want to see more of Inkling in action before I see them as main material.
I think they're pulling a Melee here with how 64 and Melee were released within 2 years. Perhaps they already finalized the roster right after the Bayonetta announcement

You know now that I think about it, what is the possibility of Sakurai working on TWO games at the same time (I'm talking the Switch and the Smash Wii U/3DS) which took a toll on his health? It's possible he knew what was being released in advance and decided to go with both systems whether the same time or at different times?

"bye Ryu"? Already? Man I forgot how fast people jump to conclusions around here during speculation. Phew, it hasn't even been a whole two hours and we're already ruling out character returns...
How you think I felt when I had to constantly dealt with Lucas, Lucario, and Ike being cut? I swear people jump on bandwagons so fast nowadays

...and now I'm gonna have to do the same thing with Roy again *sigh*

at this point idk who is gonna get cut when we have DLC now

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The only other potential newcomer I can think of who is super likely to make it is an ARMS character, and without knowing much about it I'm just going to say Spring Man because that's the guy I recognize from the cover. I'd wager on a new Pokémon character too of course, but it's hard to say whether it'll be a Gen 7 or Gen 8 one, depends on how far the next generation is along.

Besides that I'd say wait for E3, Smash 4 had a lot of tie-ins with what was relevant then, and I imagine it'll be even more the case this time around with how there aren't a lot of shoe-ins now.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Well ****, I had no idea this was a thing. And here I went about my daily morning routine, had some coffee, and even read some doom and gloom news stories to kill my boredom before work begins.

There goes my entire afternoon now.

Also, liking the black and white minamalist design! I’m always excited to see how they design and portray each smash website. I’m liking this one so far.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Travis Touchdown is likely, though it might push Smash into T Rating territory
I'd honestly prefer if they were allowed to work within a T rating again. It'd definitely make things easier regarding characters like Travis and Bayonetta. Given the wide range of series in Smash both first and third party, there are plenty of T/C series as it is. Trying for a lower rating is only a hindrance.

Last edited:

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
I have a point there...

I don't believe that Smash Bros for switch would be a new game, because the latest Smash Bros (3DS and Wii U) was released in 2014 and don't have enough time to insert +40 characters in short time for 2018 (likely theorising that the Smash Switch game was planned after of the DLC characters releases).

I believe that might be a port of 3DS and Wii U, but seriously, releasing Smash Bros for Switch in 2018? Sakurai is rushing things now? Rushing things would make the game worst, but it's because of the nintendo fandom.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
That image is going to be the bane of our existence for the next few months.

It could be a new game but I feel like that might be a bit loose statement. No doubt they would be using quite a bit of Wii U assets because the timeframe from DLC onwards is ~2.5 years if the game releases in Q4 of this year.

Regardless, Inklings are there, and I guess BOTW Link might be the primary Link now (Toon Link carries on the old traditions, probably), and we're probably going to get some folks like Pyra, Spring Man and the assortments.
The DLC was handled by a smaller team, correct? If it is them the game has already been in development for a little over 3 years. Probably around the time they finished the vanilla version of Smash 4 back in 2014. My guess is that it’ll be something like Splatoon 2 where it reuses many assets from the previous game but it has enough new stuff to warrant the “new” title.

Since BotW Link seems to be here, it means that Smash!Zelda will probably be updated to BotW Zelda.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
Well, I made it home alive.
I highly doubt any of the original twelve will be cut, along with most of the mainstays from Melee and Brawl...
At this point, Spring Man is a given for inclusion IMO. Hopefully Mario gets some Cappy moves. BOTW Link is much, much appreciated.
Perhaps all of the original 12 will get updated movesets?

I'm so excited I didn't think this game would come out this year let alone be announced and ughhh I love Nintendo

D

Deleted member

There are still some unanswered questions left and I need answers.
I NEED E3

\(°|°)/

Last edited by a moderator:

christyalmeth

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3332-4545-9808
Different logo
BOTW Link, possibly Zelda in the flames image
Different CGI style
Completely different music
"Original game 2018"
No "for switch" subtitle
White on black instead of Black on White for text
How is this a port again?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Probably after Wii U. Or shortly after. Or even during the DLC portion.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I mean, keep in mind the reason Brawl and Smash 4 took so long was due to the development of SSE for the former and a dual version development for the latter. If we where to assume that nothing of that equivalent is being done for this game, than they could have very well been able to work on this one on a more reasonable timeframe.

D

Deleted member

I'd honestly prefer if they were allowed to work within a T rating again. It'd definitely make things easier regarding characters like Travis and Bayonetta. Given the wide range of series of in Smash both first and third party, there are plenty of T/C series as it is. Trying for a lower rating is only a hindrance.
I would like a T-rating as well, as there could be more potential characters allowed. For example, a Tharja trophy was planned but it was cut to keep the E10+ rating. Pushing for a T rating would hinder the chances of family fun though, and Nintendo loves appealing to the casual fun fan-base.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I have a point there...

I don't believe that Smash Bros for switch would be a new game, because the latest Smash Bros (3DS and Wii U) was released in 2014 and don't have enough time to insert +40 characters in short time for 2018 (likely theorising that the Smash Switch game was planned after of the DLC characters releases).

I believe that might be a port of 3DS and Wii U, but seriously, releasing Smash Bros for Switch in 2018? Sakurai is rushing things now? Rushing things would make the game worst, but it's because of the nintendo fandom.
It probably was planned, since the Wii U was a dying platform and Sakurai probably knew the Switch (or as it was known then, the NX) was on the way

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Different logo
BOTW Link, possibly Zelda in the flames image
Different CGI style
Completely different music
"Original game 2018"
No "for switch" subtitle
White on black instead of Black on White for text
How is this a port again?
"Original game 2018" refers to 64 Smash.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I suspect this is a very enhanced port. The way that they portrayed Inkling "facing" the other crowd of characters implied that she was merely joining the fight with everyone else.

I mean, I feel like it'd be weird for them to announce Smash 5 in this way. I'd say that if it were a brand new Smash game, they would have introduced it with Mario or something... not a brand new character. But maybe that's just me. Also, consider that most Smash games took about three or so more years to make than this one (correct me if I'm wrong), so it would make sense if it were an enhanced port.

Either way, it got me up out of my seat and I am so excited!

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Each Smash game represents a unique point in my life. 64 was when I really started getting into gaming. Plus, I was just hitting puberty and thinking “hey, girls are cute.” Melee was when I was as thinking about my future but more concern with hanging out with my buddies. Didn’t think much about my future except on how to perfect wave dashing with my friends. Brawls release was the day I broke up with my ex-fiancé and called off the wedding. The bachelor party was to be a Brawl tournament. Still had it but it was a singles party instead. Smash 4 came out after I came to Japan and when my then-girlfriend and I had our first year of living together. Little Mac came out the day we were legally married. And finally, this new Smash comes 6 months after the birth of our daughter.

Smash is an all-consuming entity that permeates my existence.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dang it, I got to go. I am going to have lots of posts to catch up to....
Also the logo has a nice dark basic texture to it, I like it.
The future of this thread is going to be very interesting.
Sorry Ridley supporters, Ridley is not coming into Smash for Switch.
Too much hype! :awesome:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
It's pretty reasonable to expect at least a little information at E3, right? I'd be a little surprised if they don't reveal something. (Time frame, whether or not it's a port, or gameplay). I'd bet my shoe on it being a port but I think I need to stop making those bets, I keep losing.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
Admit it, there's no way a entire new Smash Game to insert +40 characters in short time until 2018.
The lastest smash game was in 2018.
This is insane...

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I mean, I feel like it'd be weird for them to announce Smash 5 in this way. I'd say that if it were a brand new Smash game, they would have introduced it with Mario or something... not a brand new character.
Smash 3DS/Wii U started with Villager.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's pretty reasonable to expect at least a little information at E3, right? I'd be a little surprised if they don't reveal something. (Time frame, whether or not it's a port, or gameplay). I'd bet my shoe on it being a port but I think I need to stop making those bets, I keep losing.
Do you prefer your leather with ketchup or mustard? :smirk:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Assuming Bayonetta isn't cut, what happens to the ESRB rating now if she's in the base game and not just DLC? Would she be enough to bump it up to T or M?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Sora is not happening though, for one reason alone: DISNEY. No Disney Characters and you basically lose what makes Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts. And Disney licensing is a real pain. I don't see Nintendo wanting a lesser known character with that kind of legal red tape

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Inklings reaction was probably mirroring a lot of our own reactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom