• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Kroko Bongo is the only thing we need as a indie character. Trust me completely with this one. I have great taste.

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
Are there any more aspects of Fire Emblem that deserve to be represented through a character? All I can think about is the first global Fire Emblem game with Lyn.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Are there any more aspects of Fire Emblem that deserve to be represented through a character? All I can think about is the first global Fire Emblem game with Lyn.
I mean, as a fan of the series, there are a LOT of things "missing" if you're going for a complete representation. The issue is Smash has a limited amount of roster space so a complete representation isn't feasible. To list some things "missing," there aren't:
- Any characters from Valentia, Jugdral, or Magvel
- Any items from the series
- Any villains
- Any Lance users
- Any Axe users
- Any cavaliers, pegasus knights, archers, wyvern riders, myrmidons, clerics, or armored knights, all of which are pretty integral Fire Emblem classes

The thing is, realistically, having all of this at once would require a character roster of AT LEAST ten or eleven for Fire Emblem alone. Further, Smash pretty much only goes for the main lords of the games, so some of these are even less feasible.

Smash actually does a good job of representing lore and game mechanics with three of the four non-clone characters though. Marth's gimmick is spacing, and unit spacing is an integral part of Fire Emblem's gameplay. Robin's is weapon durability, which all but three games in the series have, as well as finally bringing magic from the series into Smash through him. Corrin's transformation moveset harkens back to manaketes and other transforming classes, dragons or otherwise, from throughout the series, and if you want to stretch it, the sort of stage control gimmick she has may reference Dragon Veins in a roundabout way.

Ike doesn't exactly have something like that to work as a reference, off the top of my head, but he's popular and important and doesn't really need one. But honestly I think just having Lyn as an Assist Trophy is fine enough representation for FE7 for now.

Fire Emblem is like Pokémon in the sense that having it be "perfectly represented" in Smash just isn't feasible due to the nature of the series itself.

D

Deleted member

A global release is hardly something that needs to be "represented", and there are more important elements to the series in gameplay elements.
We still lack a Lance, Axe or Bow users, not that it's likely we'll ever see one of those considering how Lords are almost always primary sword users and the two who aren't are Ephraim and Hector. Not that I think we NEED one of them, but if we are to get a new FE character, I feel like it should at least not be a foot Sword Lord.

Personally, I'd like to see a mounted unit to see how they'd implement that on Smash(Sigurd or Eliwood would be my personal picks. Jk it's Bow Lyn from FEH) or an Armored one because we have Hector and Black Knight and I'm totally not biased to have one of my favorites as a Slower-And-Stronger-Than-Ganondorf character
I'm still waiting for those Tellius remasters so please can we get the Burger King?

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
I mean, as a fan of the series, there are a LOT of things "missing" if you're going for a complete representation. The issue is Smash has a limited amount of roster space so a complete representation isn't feasible. To list some things "missing," there aren't:
- Any characters from Valentia, Jugdral, or Magvel
- Any items from the series
- Any villains
- Any Lance users
- Any Axe users
- Any cavaliers, pegasus knights, archers, wyvern riders, myrmidons, clerics, or armored knights, all of which are pretty integral Fire Emblem classes

The thing is, realistically, having all of this at once would require a character roster of AT LEAST ten or eleven for Fire Emblem alone. Further, Smash pretty much only goes for the main lords of the games, so some of these are even less feasible.

Smash actually does a good job of representing lore and game mechanics with three of the four non-clone characters though. Marth's gimmick is spacing, and unit spacing is an integral part of Fire Emblem's gameplay. Robin's is weapon durability, which all but three games in the series have, as well as finally bringing magic from the series into Smash through him. Corrin's transformation moveset harkens back to manaketes and other transforming classes, dragons or otherwise, from throughout the series, and if you want to stretch it, the sort of stage control gimmick she has may reference Dragon Veins in a roundabout way.

Ike doesn't exactly have something like that to work as a reference, off the top of my head, but he's popular and important and doesn't really need one. But honestly I think just having Lyn as an Assist Trophy is fine enough representation for FE7 for now.

Fire Emblem is like Pokémon in the sense that having it be "perfectly represented" in Smash just isn't feasible due to the nature of the series itself.
A global release is hardly something that needs to be "represented", and there are more important elements to the series in gameplay elements.
We still lack a Lance, Axe or Bow users, not that it's likely we'll ever see one of those considering how Lords are almost always primary sword users and the two who aren't are Ephraim and Hector. Not that I think we NEED one of them, but if we are to get a new FE character, I feel like it should at least not be a foot Sword Lord.

Personally, I'd like to see a mounted unit to see how they'd implement that on Smash(Sigurd or Eliwood would be my personal picks. Jk it's Bow Lyn from FEH) or an Armored one because we have Hector and Black Knight and I'm totally not biased to have one of my favorites as a Slower-And-Stronger-Than-Ganondorf character
I'm still waiting for those Tellius remasters so please can we get the Burger King?
If only one Fire Emblem rep of these could get in along with the latest main lord, who would it be? What's the next most important thing to be repped for Fire Emblem?

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
Haven't been on here in a while so I decided to make a Prediction roster for the hell of it. In Spoilers lies my ideal roster, for anyone interested. If anyone would like to know why I picked who I picked I'll be more than glad to explain it.

Smash 5 Roster Prediction

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If only one Fire Emblem rep of these could get in along with the latest main lord, who would it be? What's the next most important thing to be repped for Fire Emblem?
That's just the thing...there really isn't a clear answer for that. There's a lot of different ways they can go. I'd argue something like a full weapon switching Moveset would be my ideal, and it's something Chrom could use rather well. This emphasizes the series's iconic weapon triangle by having each weapon be better in different situations. In Chrom's case, he can use both the Falchion and a lance. The issue is Chrom's already been denied, but hey, I figured it'd illustrate the point.

Similarly, Celica could bring in another magic user, a Valentian character, and could have a unique mechanic based off of Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia's system of casting magic from health, making her what Pichu should have been.

Hell, right now I'm working on a Moveset for Caeda to illustrate how I think a Pegasus Knight would work in Smash. Like I said, there are a lot of ways to go about it.

...The issue is, besides "Main Lord from the latest game as long as he or she is unique and feasible," basically no one else has a viable shot, so it's kind of moot.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't say there's a "most important thing to represent", we already have Swords, Magic and Dragons, so all the bases have been hit.
If we do get another FE character, I just think it shouldn't be a repeat of what we already have, which is why I think it should either be:
-A Lance or Axe user
-A Mounted unit
-An Armored unit
Or a combination of these
Full Weapon Triangle Duessel when?

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I wouldn't say there's a "most important thing to represent", we already have Swords, Magic and Dragons, so all the bases have been hit.
If we do get another FE character, I just think it shouldn't be a repeat of what we already have, which is why I think it should either be:
-A Lance or Axe user
-A Mounted unit
-An Armored unit
I'd love to see an armored, mounted unit in Fire Emblem. They'd probably be OP af though.

That does bring up the question of how a mounted character would be implemented into Smash. I don't think we've ever had one, iirc.

lasagnasmash

Smash Rookie
That's just the thing...there really isn't a clear answer for that. There's a lot of different ways they can go. I'd argue something like a full weapon switching Moveset would be my ideal, and it's something Chrom could use rather well. This emphasizes the series's iconic weapon triangle by having each weapon be better in different situations. In Chrom's case, he can use both the Falchion and a lance. The issue is Chrom's already been denied, but hey, I figured it'd illustrate the point.

Similarly, Celica could bring in another magic user, a Valentian character, and could have a unique mechanic based off of Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia's system of casting magic from health, making her what Pichu should have been.

Hell, right now I'm working on a Moveset for Caeda to illustrate how I think a Pegasus Knight would work in Smash. Like I said, there are a lot of ways to go about it.

...The issue is, besides "Main Lord from the latest game as long as he or she is unique and feasible," basically no one else has a viable shot, so it's kind of moot.
Being that Arms was not as popular as Sm4sh (competitively or otherwise), I honestly don't see Spring Man being a choice.

D

Deleted member

Being that Arms was not as popular as Sm4sh (competitively or otherwise), I honestly don't see Spring Man being a choice.
First of all, I believe you quoted the wrong post.
Second, that argument could be applied to a number of other series. Something being AS popular as Smash is a feat on itself

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
For an indie character, there are a bunch that I'd be fine with (Quote, Shovel Knight, Yooka-Laylee, Meat Boy, even Shantae though I haven't played much of her games), but my #1 pick (even if it's probably a pipe dream) would be Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes. It just seems like he'd be a lot of fun, between throws and suplexes, whacking enemies with what's basically a fluorescent lightbulb, and turning into a tiger.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If games that weren't as popular as Smash couldn't get characters, well, I hope you'd enjoy the roster of just Mario, Pokémon, and Zelda characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Good enough choice. There isn't really much else to choose, at least, reliable choices. I wish Alm and / or Celica would stand a chance... They probably don't in the long run. Which sucks.
If games that weren't as popular as Smash couldn't get characters, well, I hope you'd enjoy the roster of just Mario, Pokémon, and Zelda characters.
Donkey Kong Country would also be up there. In which case, I'd be totally down with it. Also, more Zelda characters means Impa. And Impa, AS WE ALL KNOW, means a lot.

Also don't kid yourself, Fire Emblem would be up there too. In a way, it's not weird to have many Fire Emblem characters in Smash. Smash literally brought new life to Fire Emblem and made it go international. That's kinda huge.

Actually, I think Lyn is pretty damn likely if Fire Emblem is gonna get a new character. The whole idea of 'Brave Warriors' from Fire Emblem Heroes really goes to show exactly which Lords are the most popular. That's also why I don't think Roy OR Lucina are going anywhere, cause they are up there with Ike. And Lyn is the only non-playable Smash FE Lord up there. The fact she's the sole FE AT is already something big. Lyn = underrated. She'd hype a lot of people.

For variation sake they could also simply give Ike the Urvan and make him Smash's Axe Lord mascot, and give Lucina 'insert name of story-important Lance from Fire Emblem Awakening' and make Lucina Smash's Lance Lord. We don't exactly need Hector or Ephraim to do this.

Btw I think I'd like a Zelda x Fire Emblem crossover.

D

Deleted member

Lyn needs FE7 relevance though, if it gets a remake around Smash 5, then sure, but just being popular inside her series is not going to cut it for Sakurai.
Smash 4 showed us that FE is just like Pokemon in terms of representation, in that relevancy is a key factor, otherwise we could have gotten anyone besides Robin and Corrin.

Also, "take away Ike's/Lucina's Prf weapon and give them an axe/lance" is the new "Sword Ganondorf" isn't it?

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
Lyn needs FE7 relevance though, if it gets a remake around Smash 5, then sure, but just being popular inside her series is not going to cut it for Sakurai.
Smash 4 showed us that FE is just like Pokemon in terms of representation, in that relevancy is a key factor, otherwise we could have gotten anyone besides Robin and Corrin.

Also, "take away Ike's/Lucina's Prf weapon and give them an axe/lance" is the new "Sword Ganondorf" isn't it?
Historical significance is also a factor.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Not with Fire Emblem.
Every character aside from Marth (who was the first protagonist of the series) was added when they were relevant.
Roy and Ike haven't been relevant to Fire Emblem since FE6 and FE10 respectively (not counting Heroes). We're on like FE16 with the next release.

Luminario

Smash Lord
-A Lance or Axe user
-A Mounted unit
-An Armored unit
Bringing in a mounted unit would probably have so many problems. From the intricate hurtboxes to the size of the character with the mount, they'd probably have more problems than Ridley unless they make the mount locked to FS or special moves only.

Haven't been on here in a while so I decided to make a Prediction roster for the hell of it. In Spoilers lies my ideal roster, for anyone interested. If anyone would like to know why I picked who I picked I'll be more than glad to explain it.

Smash 5 Roster Prediction

Are they both meant to be the same roster? Is that the joke or is it just a mix up? also a rare Ashley and Anna choice, I like it. You never see Ashley in many of these even though she's pretty likely as a newcomer. Why Plasm Wraith though?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Then Alm would be great. Alm is recent, and his moveset would write itself basicaly. Sword characters are popular anyway.

I just wish we had the possibility of selecting specific alternative movesets for characters. Think Custom Moves, but far better fleshed out. Maybe a few statistical differences. Urvan has no +5 Defence boost so Ike would be lighter. Lance Lucina would probably be slower and heavier tho. Matter of fact make a whole weapon triangle system for the FE cast.

Also Diddy's U Air needs a buff

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
I think Smash 5 could definitely benefit with Custom Moves becoming a bigger thing.. and just cut equipment entirely.

It definitely feels like they wanted Custom Moves to be a thing then just forgot them entirely with DLC characters and didn't go as far with them as they could.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Also Diddy's U Air needs a buff
Do you mind sharing your reasoning behind wanting that move to be stronger? I'm asking because I really can't see why an character as strong as Diddy Kong should get any buffs given that he's almost universally agreed upon as being Top 3 as of now.
I think Smash 5 could definitely benefit with Custom Moves becoming a bigger thing.. and just cut equipment entirely.

It definitely feels like they wanted Custom Moves to be a thing then just forgot them entirely with DLC characters and didn't go as far with them as they could.
Yeah, it does kind of look like they just abandoned customs during the DLC period. I feel like the way they handled customs this game led to a lot of wasted potential, they could've been implemented a lot better than they were.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't mind equipment if it was like Rivals of Aether, where it changes the properties of the character.
Hell, I'd be fine with them just staying as the side effects(like the vampire effect, critical hits, higher jumps, stat buffs, etc). The problem was the stat changes and randomness of it all.

I think Custom Moves were in the right direction though, characters like Mega Man really benefit from it while others like Ganon and DK really want them.
Just please don't make them random drops and allow us to use them in online.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Also don't kid yourself, Fire Emblem would be up there too. In a way, it's not weird to have many Fire Emblem characters in Smash. Smash literally brought new life to Fire Emblem and made it go international. That's kinda huge.
Not if the barometer is "more successful than Smash". Fire Emblem is more successful than it used to be... but its most successful title has sold what? < 2m? That still puts it behind the most successful titles of Metroid, Star Fox, Animal Crossing, Kirby, Yoshi, Wario, F-Zero and Rhythm Heaven, Splatoon, and a bunch of stuff from their more casual ventures. And of those I believe only Animal Crossing has sold better than the poorest selling Smash. Plus obviously the aforementioned series.

It getting the attention it does, for better or for worse, gives the impression the series has reached heights it never has.

Not enough for FE in Smash, unless you're Marth.

Last edited:

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
Bringing in a mounted unit would probably have so many problems. From the intricate hurtboxes to the size of the character with the mount, they'd probably have more problems than Ridley unless they make the mount locked to FS or special moves only.

Are they both meant to be the same roster? Is that the joke or is it just a mix up? also a rare Ashley and Anna choice, I like it. You never see Ashley in many of these even though she's pretty likely as a newcomer. Why Plasm Wraith though?
They were totally meant to be different, I’ll have to fix it when I get on a computer.

And thank you! I thought Wario deserved another Rep, and since she was in as an Assist Trophy, I figured she was the one Sakurai was more interested in out of everyone else.

Plasm Wraith was... an interesting choice. I would have liked for Pikmin to get another Rep, and most of the protagonists would work similarly, most likely, to Olimar. It’d be another villain, and an interesting pick for a rep. It’s one of the ones less likely to happen, but if Sakurai was directing another game, and another Pikmin game doesn’t come out by then, I could see Plasm Wraith as a wackier choice, but one Sakurai would still make.

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice

I don't want to see Custom Moves dropped in the next game. Rather, I would love to see the concept expanded on and improved by doing the following.

-Add an in-game store that sells custom moves. You pay for the moves with the same gold that you win from playing the game and watching spectate matches. Pretty much the gold system we have in Smash 4, but with the ability to buy custom moves alongside trophies.

-Add a Custom Moves lobby to online multiplayer which offers both "For Fun" and "For Glory" Playlists

-Refine the Custom moves to not only better reflect the powers each character has in their respective series, but to give them more varied move options.

Let's take Mario as an example.

Rather than simply having a smaller faster fireball, or a big fire orb, here is an idea for Mario's customs in Smash 5

Fire Ball: Default Special

Ice Ball: Shoots a slower moving ball of ice that freezes targets on contact. Can also freeze and water as well.

Super Ball: Shoots a large ball that reflects off walls and floors. Causes moderate knockback upon contact.

By doing this, we have a customs that reflect the Fire Flower, the Ice Flower, and the Super Ball powerup from Super Mario Land.

Samus is another great example of this. For her beam variations, why not give her the other beams from Metroid? My point is, the customs could open up new worlds for Smash if they are done right. Only a few characters like Mega Man and Palutena showed off the potential of custom moves.

-All DLC characters will have custom specials.

Custom moves is a concept that if done right could change the metagame of Smash. Match-ups would be more dynamic because you never know what customs an oppoent is using. Smash 4 introduced the concept, but stumbling blocks kept it from taking off, namely the difficulty in getting custom moves, the fact that no online modes support customs, and worst of all, the fact that none of the DLC fighters have customs hurts the concept, since, in the name of fairness, you can't have a set of characters with no option to use their customs.

I hope Smash 5 does not get rid of customs but decides to enhance and improve on the concept.

D

Deleted member

For variation sake they could also simply give Ike the Urvan and make him Smash's Axe Lord mascot
Isn't Ragnell his signature weapon or something though? You can't take that away from him.
'insert name of story-important Lance from Fire Emblem Awakening'
That's not a thing.
I'd like to have Lucina be able to swap between Falchion and a Lance but since that will never happen, I'll settle for Luigified Falchion Lucina.

On the topic of the weapon triangle, I can't contribute much due to only having played Awakening and Birthright (as well as most of Conquest).
However, if I were to pick a FE7 character because "muh historical significance" (which is a bad reason, especially since Roy already represents the GBA era, but to be fair we have 3 characters that represent the 3DS era), I'd pick Hector over Lyn. I don't know much about either characters, but I do know that Hector has an axe, while Lyn is yet another sword user, and I think the FE cast could benefit from some weapon diversity. Though of course, if we got anyone we'd get Lyn due to her popularity.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Weapon differences in the Fire Emblem cast are overrated. I think Lyn would be more unique than you give credit for, simply because she fights more like a samurai than most other Lords. Not because she uses a sword doesn't mean she's not unique. Hector would be interesting sure. Axe armor Lord, that's unique in its own. But I wouldn't dismiss Lyn just yet.

Also Ragnell indeed is Ike's main weapon. I don't think it's wise to remove it from his moveset either. But I think his Forward Smash could make use of his father's axe Urvan.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Weapon differences in the Fire Emblem cast are overrated. I think Lyn would be more unique than you give credit for, simply because she fights more like a samurai than most other Lords. Not because she uses a sword doesn't mean she's not unique. Hector would be interesting sure. Axe armor Lord, that's unique in its own. But I wouldn't dismiss Lyn just yet.
The thing is, literally every FE character in Smash uses Swords (Robin is more of a Magic user but he still uses swords), which is a poor representation of the series (i.e. many people who don't play the games see every character as a "generic animu swordsman"). Even our only FE Assist Trophy uses a Sword. And even if Lyn would be unique (I never said she wouldn't be), people are going to call her a Marth clone (they did it with Ike appearently).
-------------
Also, off topic, but is there a thread for re-imagined rosters for past Smash games? I know there's one specifically for Melee but I haven't seen one for any of the others.

D

Deleted member

I do think Lyn has the best shot out of all existing FE Lords not in Smash and that's simply because she is THE most popular character in the entire franchise, and unlike the other three in the Top 4, it's not because she's in Smash, but it's not like her style is completely unique. Sure, a Samurai-esque moveset is not present in Smash yet, but there are other characters from Nintendo games that could do something similar
*Input Takamaru shilling here*

Still, I do think if any of the existing Lord were ever added, it SHOULD be her. She already has a pre-existing presence in Smash, her immense popularity, a Bow(which would be one more weapon represented) and would help to balance the gender ratio for FE a bit.
Bow with Effective damage against Pit pls

If it was up to me though, I'd definitely pick Hector and that's simply because he's my favorite Lord and probably the only chance for us ever having an Axe wielder in Smash. Hopefully he gets his chance alongside Eliwood by being part in a Lord Triangle Attack for her FS god that would be so hype

What FE needs is at least some items though.
A Healing Staff for Team Matches would be more interesting than the Team Heal item we have currently.
Or some of the support Staves, like Freeze, Warp, Rescue, Entrap, Silence, etc. There's a lot you can do with them.

Also, some more Assists, Tiki would be nice

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The thing is, literally every FE character in Smash uses Swords (Robin is more of a Magic user but he still uses swords), which is a poor representation of the series (i.e. many people who don't play the games see every character as a "generic animu swordsman"). Even our only FE Assist Trophy uses a Sword. And even if Lyn would be unique (I never said she wouldn't be), people are going to call her a Marth clone (they did it with Ike appearently).
The problem isn't that there isn't anyone of another weapon type than sword, the problem is that half the FE cast in Smash plays similarly (Marth and Lucina being clones of each other and Roy still being a clone despite being slightly Luigified since melee). Lyn would solve that by being a really quick swordswoman with flash step-like moves (and maybe a bow too?).

And asking for other weapon types just for the sake of having them instead of being because the character is interesting and relevant is like asking for a Grass starter just for the sake of completing the starter triangle, especially since type effectiveness doesn't exist in Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The problem isn't that there isn't anyone of another weapon type than sword, the problem is that half the FE cast in Smash plays similarly (Marth and Lucina being clones of each other and Roy still being a clone despite being slightly Luigified since melee). Lyn would solve that by being a really quick swordswoman with flash step-like moves (and maybe a bow too?).
Yes but some people are dumb and think Ike is also a clone of Marth. And unless Lyn's fighting style is really flashy, people will make the same mistake.
And asking for other weapon types just for the sake of having them instead of being because the character is interesting and relevant is like asking for a Grass starter just for the sake of completing the starter triangle, especially since type effectiveness doesn't exist in Smash.
bow tie.png
Jokes aside, the difference is that we already have Fire and Water starters, and we're only missing grass to complete the trio.
Meanwhile, all of our Fire Emblem characters are Sword users, despite Robin being primarily a Magic user and Corny using Dragonstones. I never asked to complete the weapon triangle, I just said a character that doesn't use swords would be nice.
And to be fair, wanting a certain character has nothing to do with relevance.
Wanting a certain character =/= Expecting a certain character.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
I've read some comments, so here's my opinion on adding Lyn.

I don't have a problem with Lyn, the issue is how to make her stand out compared to the other fighters on Smash's roster.

Like a lot of you have said, she could have a samurai-based moveset. But I think something to keep in mind is that there are at least two other characters who could do the Samurai moveset better.

The first and most obvious like other posters have said is Takamaru. He's one of my top picks to make it into the roster of Smash 5, especially if Sakurai comes back. Sakurai is very well-known for not giving up on characters in Smash. If they can't work in one game, then he'll try to somehow make them work in the next game.

Takamaru has all the traits of a great Smash Bros character. He has a moveset from his home games that can be transfered into Smash pretty easily, he's got an appealing design, and he's a retro Famicom character, putting him in the same category as the Ice Climbers, ROB, and Duck Hunt.

He got very close to being added to the rosters of both Melee and Smash 4, but the fact that his game had never been released outside of Japan held him back. Sakurai figured nobody outside of Japan would know who he was since they had not played his game, and unlike Fire Emblem, his series had only a single game that was only on the Famicom Disk System.

But things have changed. In 2014, Nazo no Murasame Jō or The Mysterious Mursame Castle as its called in the west came out on the 3DS Virtual Console. For the first time, people outside of Japan could play the game that Takamaru debuted in. It also means that the old argument that Western gamers would have no clue who he was since his game never left Japan are pretty much negated.

So, how does this affect Lyn? Well, the most notable thing is that most of the ideas that I've seen tossed around for her would work just as well, if not better on Takamaru. You could give him the moveset of being a quick swordsman who can flash-step and his ranged weapons from his game can pretty much replace a bow. Plus, he has the benefit of not being a Fire Emblem character.

The other one who could do a Samurai/Speedy Swordsman is Ryoma who is pretty much a Samurai in Fates(or the closest thing in that world.)

I don't have a problem with Lyn, but I want to see something different, and another sword fighter from the franchise is not it.

We have lance, axe, magic users(which Robin covers to be fair), characters that can transform into Wolfskins, Kitsune, or the Laguz? Why not add some of those to Fire Emblem? Why not add some of the villains from the series?

Fire Emblem's greatest advantage over most of Nintendo's other franchises is how rich the series is in terms of characters, abilities, and powers. Only Pokemon is arguably the superior in that regard.

I know people want Lyn, but let's dig into Fire Emblem's rich universe, and see if we can add something people did not expect.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lyn would be pretty flashy. Marth and the rest of the Fire Emblem cast use a more western style of sword fighting. Lyn's is more eastern. That has a lot of appeal on its own.

I also wouldn't say she's the most popular character. That has long been established as Ike. :4myfriends:

But anyway she's easily the most popular Lord besides who are in Smash. And it's good promotion for upcoming FE remakes of FE6 and FE7, as we know very well those are coming along the line.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yes but some people are dumb and think Ike is also a clone of Marth. And unless Lyn's fighting style is really flashy, people will make the same mistake.
Why should we care about people who think Ike and Marth are clones when the only thing they share is that they're Fire Emblem characters?

Also, pretty much everything Diddy Kong said above when it comes to Lyn.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why should we care about people who think Ike and Marth are clones when the only thing they share is that they're Fire Emblem characters?

Fair point I guess.
Please ignore me and continue on with your life.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Fair point I guess.
Please ignore me and continue on with your life.
Also, the overrepresentation of swords is more IS's fault than Sakurai's; every game has at least one major protagonist using a sword, and it just so happens that it's the kind of character Sakurai always brought or, in Chrom's case, considered to put in Smash.

So, unless FE Switch has zero sword-wielding protagonist, we'll probably get one more in the next Smash.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

"B-but they have a counter so they must be clones despite having clearly different moves and playstyles!"

Yes people have actually said that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom