• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Takamaru and Lyn aren't really comparable. Takamaru uses his katana with both hands, Lyn uses one and relies mostly on speed. I can't picture Takamaru as a real speedy fighter either, more balanced.

There's also Impa from Hyrule Warriors who can resemble and samurai moveset. But she uses a lot of kicks and her sword is giant compared to the others.

All have unique merrits and I'd honestly like them all in....

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Takamaru also uses a lot of different items and magic in addition to just being a samurai such as fireballs, lightning and invisibility.

D

Deleted member

Also, the overrepresentation of swords is more IS's fault than Sakurai's; every game has at least one major protagonist using a sword, and it just so happens that it's the kind of character Sakurai always brought or, in Chrom's case, considered to put in Smash.

So, unless FE Switch has zero sword-wielding protagonist, we'll probably get one more in the next Smash.
True. Makes me wish Hector was in Brawl along with Ike (He is one of the main lords, right? I haven't played FE7 yet so I don't know), and that Azura was picked over Corrin as DLC (She's pretty much the Robin of Fates. That being said, Corrin has Dragonstones so he wasn't in the same boat as Chrom, so it makes sense why he was picked).
Again, ignore me and continue on with your life. I don't know much about Pre-Awakening FE, so I shouldn't have tried to contribute.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
"B-but they have a counter so they must be clones despite having clearly different moves and playstyles!"

Yes people have actually said that.

Good thing I already have no faith in humanity, because that means I can't lose any from this :p

True. Makes me wish Hector was in Brawl along with Ike (He is one of the main lords, right? I haven't played FE7 yet so I don't know), and that Azura was picked over Corrin as DLC (She's pretty much the Robin of Fates. That being said, Corrin has Dragonstones so he wasn't in the same boat as Chrom, so it makes sense why he was picked).
Hector was a major lord, yes, but the main character was definitely Eliwood.

And adding Azura instead of Corrin would have been like putting Tiki in Melee instead of Marth. Sure, Azura is a major character, but the main protagonist and the main Lord is Corrin.

Again, ignore me and continue on with your life. I don't know much about Pre-Awakening FE, so I shouldn't have tried to contribute.
Me neither and yet, I contribute :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Jokes aside, the difference is that we already have Fire and Water starters, and we're only missing grass to complete the trio.
But that isn't much of a difference.
It's still an arbitrary reason to support a character that is completely irrelevant in the context of Smash (at least now; it WAS relevant with Pokemon Trainer, but that was because of Pokemon Trainer's gimmick that utilized the type advantage aspect).

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Not on the current topic, but speculation is obviously getting the better of me. Last night I had a dream that Smash for Switch was revealed, and the scuba diver from Endless Ocean was the featured newcomer. They were in full scuba gear, but ran and jumped around the stage like any other humanoid character. For the life of me, I can't remember who the other character in the footage was, but it was also some new humanoid addition, and they were battling in a huge laboratory (huge as in everything was big compared to the characters, like the Gamer stage). I was very excited for some reason?! (<__<; )

Anyway, just thought I'd share that with you all, as embarrassing as it is. LOL

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
Lyn>Takamaru because while I can't think of many options from FE that would be better than Lyn, I can easily think up 10 retro characters that are infinitely more interesting than ****ing Takamaru. God, am I sick of hearing about Takamaru..
I agree, but I can only think of Sukapon as a more interesting retro. What are the 10 retros you think are more interesting than Takamaru?

D

Deleted member

People will complain about sword units forever, doesn't matter if they're completely unique.
People still say Corrin is a Marth clone and I wish I was making this **** up.

Ignoring any sort of relevance, Lyn is the most likely FE character by a large margin, she has a unique style amd popularity to back her up, but that's the problem, we can't ignore relevance. FE's character are going to be chosen based on recent releases just like Pokemon so it all depends on timing.
If Smash 5 starts/started development near now, we'll be getting a FE Switch character. If it's later and we get another release, it's going to be from that game. We really can't predict anything until we know the general time-frame of development.

Still, she definitely has a better shot than Takamaru because Takamaru has to compete with numerous other retro characters
The other one who could do a Samurai/Speedy Swordsman is Ryoma who is pretty much a Samurai in Fates(or the closest thing in that world.)
Ryoma is just another Swordmaster, sure he's a story relevant character but he certainly doesn't have the same level of importance as Lyn
We have lance, axe, magic users(which Robin covers to be fair), characters that can transform into Wolfskins, Kitsune, or the Laguz? Why not add some of those to Fire Emblem? Why not add some of the villains from the series?
Transformation classes outside of Manaketes were only added in Tellius, don't have as strong of a story presence outside of the Laguz and are never a constance(only the Laguz appear in more than one game).
And Corrin is already one so there's really no need for them
I also wouldn't say she's the most popular character. That has long been established as Ike. :4myfriends:
Screenshot_20171101-151740~2.png

Even Lucina has almost 10.000 more votes than Ike

D

Deleted member

If you were to scroll down 1 more character, you would see Ike again.

Ike's votes were split between 2 characters, and when combined bring his grand total to 51,555, higher than Lyn.
There's nothing to suggest that repeated votes from the same voters counted.
Sure, we can assume that from the fact we could vote multiple times for the same character but it's too suspicious that every character with at least 2 versions jumps several ranks when their votes are combined.

For all we know, the system wasn't counting repeated votes from the same account or IP address

Last edited by a moderator:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
I agree, but I can only think of Sukapon as a more interesting retro. What are the 10 retros you think are more interesting than Takamaru?
Excite Biker, Mach Rider, Balloon Fighter, Great Puma, Muddy Mole, Ayumi Tachibana, Sukapon, Lip, Tin Star, Sable Prince

EDIT: Oh, and Mike Jones from Star Tropics, as sort of the reverse Sukapon

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Also, the overrepresentation of swords is more IS's fault than Sakurai's; every game has at least one major protagonist using a sword, and it just so happens that it's the kind of character Sakurai always brought or, in Chrom's case, considered to put in Smash.

So, unless FE Switch has zero sword-wielding protagonist, we'll probably get one more in the next Smash.
Awakening and Fates did however have non-sword wielding potential though, as Robin could have been pure mage, Corrin pure dragonstone, or Azura could have been chosen because iirc she was considered just as important to the story by the developers and she's Fates' deuteragonist. Sakurai and IS just really like swords.

I gotta say though, Lyn and Takamaru are so god damn boring as character choices, at least to me anyway. With the amount of swordsman with projectiles already in the game they're really gonna have to bring something amazing. I'm sure they can do something with Takamaru's projectile shenanigans though, so I still see him as a likely retro choice, while Lyn has to fight the newest FE protagonist even if she does get that remake.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And adding Azura instead of Corrin would have been like putting Tiki in Melee instead of Marth.
We have Robin, the secondary protagonist of Awakening. Regardless of the reason, he's still not the same

Me neither and yet, I contribute :p
The difference is that I'm a complete idiot that's terrible at arguing.

But that isn't much of a difference.
It's still an arbitrary reason to support a character that is completely irrelevant in the context of Smash (at least now; it WAS relevant with Pokemon Trainer, but that was because of Pokemon Trainer's gimmick that utilized the type advantage aspect).
Being irrelevant in the context of Smash doesn't mean **** to people.
Having a Fire and Water starter without Grass is somewhat aesthetically displeasing to some people. It feels like something is missing.
And it's closer to being complete than the Weapon Triangle, can't wait for the next sword wielding FE Lord in Smash!
Disclaimer: I actually wouldn't mind another sword user as long as they're unique. I want some weapon diversity, but I'll be content with a unique sword user.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There's nothing to suggest that repeated votes from the same voters counted.
Sure, we can assume that from the fact we could vote multiple times for the same character but it's too suspicious that every character with at least 2 versions jumps several ranks when their votes are combined.

For all we know, the system wasn't counting repeated votes from the same account or IP address
They wouldn't have had a whole little chart calendar thing available to you showing all of your votes if all of them didn't count. Combining Ike's votes is totally legitimate based on the context of the poll.

D

Deleted member

They wouldn't have had a whole little chart calendar thing available to you showing all of your votes if all of them didn't count. Combining Ike's votes is totally legitimate based on the context of the poll.
It could easily have been to discourage voting from duplicate accounts. People would look at it and just don't bother with creating alts as much as they technically wouldn't need them.

What we need to do is find the people who voted for Glade since that was a total of 17 votes

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I think Takamaru has a shot as the next retro newcomer.

Not just because Sakurai considered him in 4 before cutting him, but also because he's had a few cameos here and there in the last few years, not to mention his game getting a Virtual Console release worldwide.

Also, like Lyn, his style is pretty eastern which, alongside his projectile play (and I think ninja smoke bombs too?) could make him stand out among sword users.

The difference is that I'm a complete idiot that's terrible at arguing.
I can't say that's untrue, but it was still nice to have some arguing.

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
Reading over some of the comments again, I have to ask something. Why do people think Fire Emblem 6 or 7 are going to be remade anytime soon?

If Nintendo and IS do them in order, then Genealogy of the Holy War(FE4) and Thracia 776(FE5) are the next two in line to get remakes.

Plus, we have to consider how the timing of any remakes will fall into line with Smash 5's development cycle. The remake of Gaiden came out too late to make it into Smash 4, and likely too early to be considered for Smash 5.

D

Deleted member

Being irrelevant in the context of Smash doesn't mean **** to people.
Having a Fire and Water starter without Grass is somewhat aesthetically displeasing to some people. It feels like something is missing.
And it's closer to being complete than the Weapon Triangle, can't wait for the next sword wielding FE Lord in Smash!
Disclaimer: I actually wouldn't mind another sword user as long as they're unique. I want some weapon diversity, but I'll be content with a unique sword user.
In other words....literally the only difference between the two is that 2 > 1.
Which.....does absolutely nothing to refute what Uni's initial point.

All it does is make excuses as to why it's "justified" for people to want one and not the other.

D

Deleted member

Reading over some of the comments again, I have to ask something. Why do people think Fire Emblem 6 or 7 are going to be remade anytime soon?

If Nintendo and IS do them in order, then Genealogy of the Holy War(FE4) and Thracia 776(FE5) are the next two in line to get remakes.

Plus, we have to consider how the timing of any remakes will fall into line with Smash 5's development cycle. The remake of Gaiden came out too late to make it into Smash 4, and likely too early to be considered for Smash 5.
There's nothing indicating they're doing it in order though.

And while I still think a FE4 remake is the most likely one(hopefully with Thracia 776 alongside), we don't know when we'll get Smash 5 so who knows what will be going on with FE when it happens.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
All this talk of unique characters for Fire Emblem, and still no mention of Anna?

I mean, outside of the remake of the one game that she didn't appear in, Anna has had a 100% playable appearance rating after Awakening, on top of her near perfect attendance besides.

Heck, in Heroes, she's a starter unit, and given prominent story focus as the commanding general.

It's not like she's lacking, either. As of now, in just her base classes she's used staves, axes, bows, swords, and even lances if you include her NPC merchant role. She's even a pegusis Knight in one of the tutorials! Add this on top of being typically classed as a theif, alongside being a merchant giving her an excuse to use any item in the series, and you have a virtual gold mine of potential.

I know it seems like lords are the only option, but that's literally the only thing holding her back at this point. If it turns out the next Lord won't work out, Anna can easily become a legitimate option.

D

Deleted member

In other words....literally the only difference between the two is that 2 > 1.
Which.....does absolutely nothing to refute what Uni's initial point.

All it does is make excuses as to why it's "justified" for people to want one and not the other.
Maybe some people think we have too many Fire Emblem characters?
Maybe some people don't play Fire Emblem? (Like I was back in the Sceptile days)
Hell, maybe some people think the weapon triangle isn't as iconic as the starter trio? Shocking, isn't it?

I seriously don't get what you're trying to prove here. I already know that you think people overestimate Decidueye's chances based on being a Grass starter (Which I actually agree with), but now it just seems to me like you don't respect opinions.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Reposty for relevance
Lyn is popular and Nintendo is starting to capitalize off of that but with IS and Smash the new thing is what's important and the new thing is what it shall be. And therefore the only way I'd imagine Lyn get in is with a new game (not a remake) for her. When that's been the circumstances for 5/6 series additions, the exception being Marf, that's the mindset I'm going to operate under until there's evidence to the contrary.

And fwiw even if the Smash roster gets rebooted I still don't think Lyn would make it, because while the roster would change, IS wouldn't.

I like Lyn as a character, more than most of the existing FE roster, but I do think barring a new title, her time has passed. Even with the popularity on her side.
Also Lyn and Takamaru share the same kind of weapon but they'd only play the same if you have a lack of creativity tbh.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

To answer this, it's because IS has expressed interest several times (the most recent of which was after Shadows of Valentia came out) in remaking Binding Blade specifically.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While I do kinda like having the rest of the starter trio, I don't think it's going to be relevant enough to happen "just because". Pokemon Trainer is the only reason we got it in the the first place. And that's gone for good.

There's some cool options, and if they happen to be Grass, even sweeter.

And it is true some are weirded out that the Starter trio isn't a pattern. Pokemon fans seeing it that way is not surprising. Especially long-going fans. Fire Emblem didn't really try to make the weapon triangle, so it's not as important necessarily for Smash. Not that some wouldn't like to see it, but it never has happened, so it's a bit of a different situation.

Luminario

Smash Lord
All this talk of unique characters for Fire Emblem, and still no mention of Anna?

I mean, outside of the remake of the one game that she didn't appear in, Anna has had a 100% playable appearance rating after Awakening, on top of her near perfect attendance besides.

Heck, in Heroes, she's a starter unit, and given prominent story focus as the commanding general.

It's not like she's lacking, either. As of now, in just her base classes she's used staves, axes, bows, swords, and even lances if you include her NPC merchant role. She's even a pegusis Knight in one of the tutorials! Add this on top of being typically classed as a theif, alongside being a merchant giving her an excuse to use any item in the series, and you have a virtual gold mine of potential.

I know it seems like lords are the only option, but that's literally the only thing holding her back at this point. If it turns out the next Lord won't work out, Anna can easily become a legitimate option.
I adore Anna and the further we go with her being playable in FE the more likely she is to be playable in Smash, as having a recurring character in a series with cyclical characters is great for this game. The biggest problem is her lack of importance in the games, being a non-lord and being DLC in Fates, though her role in Heroes really raises her exposure. Her potential, her personality, and her recurring nature lend very well to being a Smash candidate, so that's really the only thing holding her back.

D

Deleted member

While I do kinda like having the rest of the starter trio, I don't think it's going to be relevant enough to happen "just because". Pokemon Trainer is the only reason we got it in the the first place. And that's gone for good.
Golden and I were arguing about "want", not chance.
I agree that Decidueye likely won't be added just because it's a grass starter.
But there's no reason why people wouldn't want it to happen for those reasons, IMO.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Funny cause it's Awakening and Fates alone I haven't played of the most recent games. I say the old games are gems, but you gotta be able to appriciate them.

Awakening and Fates are heavily based on the FE4 mechanics with children, generstions and skills. Skills where not always a element of FE for example. Only Ike's games; Path of Radiance and Radisnt Dawn are similar with them, but skills also work differently there. No reclassing either only in the remakes of Marth's games for DS and also limited. There is no Avatar character besides the Japanese only FE12.

That's also why there's a strong attachment to older Lords, cause the main royal (or mercenary leader with Ike) was the main character throughout. Supports became a thing since the GBA games, starting with FE6. Summarised; pre-Awakening is much more simple in combat design, best compared to Echoes but with weapon triangle and breakable weapons.

About Hector, Sakurai asked Intelligent Systems who to add as the new Fire Emblem character for Brawl, and they suggested Ike. I doubt that Hector would've been chosen before Lyn. And if anything, Roy would have honestly been chosen before them as suggested by the data coding.

Anwyay, time will tell if we're even able to expect new characters. Still no mentoin of it, and doubt it would be revealed by the next major Direct / whatever. At least I doubt it will be shown. Only if it's a full port of Smash 4, but I doubt that as they decided against that when Brawl was made.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Funny cause it's Awakening and Fates alone I haven't played of the most recent games. I say the old games are gems, but you gotta be able to appriciate them.

Awakening and Fates are heavily based on the FE4 mechanics with children, generstions and skills. Skills where not always a element of FE for example. Only Ike's games; Path of Radiance and Radisnt Dawn are similar with them, but skills also work differently there. No reclassing either only in the remakes of Marth's games for DS and also limited. There is no Avatar character besides the Japanese only FE12.

That's also why there's a strong attachment to older Lords, cause the main royal (or mercenary leader with Ike) was the main character throughout. Supports became a thing since the GBA games, starting with FE6. Summarised; pre-Awakening is much more simple in combat design, best compared to Echoes but with weapon triangle and breakable weapons.
I know most of these.
But hey, I never said I won't play them. I'm actually planning to play them.
It's gonna be a bit hard to get used to permadeath, having to use actual strategy, and lack of grinding, but I can handle that.
It's free time that I don't have.

D

Deleted member

Maybe some people think we have too many Fire Emblem characters?
Maybe some people don't play Fire Emblem? (Like I was back in the Sceptile days)
Hell, maybe some people think the weapon triangle isn't as iconic as the starter trio? Shocking, isn't it?
Again, none of that changes the point that was being made.
The point is that wanting Fire Emblem characters that use a lance and an axe for the sake of having Fire Emblem characters that use a lance and an axe is the same exact thing as wanting a Pokemon that is a Grass type for the sake of having a Pokemon that is Grass type. It doesn't look at the value of the character in question, just what "set" they can arbitrarily complete for the sake of completing said set.

It doesn't matter if one set happens to coincidentally 2/3 complete while one is only 1/3.
It doesn't matter if more people "feel something's missing" in regards to one set than the other.
It doesn't matter if there are people that think there are too many characters of one series.
It doesn't matter if there are people that don't play either one of the series.
It doesn't matter if people believe one set is more "iconic".

None of that is relevant to the point being made nor does any of it actually even properly ADDRESS the point.
All that ANY of those do is make excuses to justify why people would support the idea of completing one set over the other, when no one is even ASKING for the "why".

What is so difficult for you to understand about that?

I seriously don't get what you're trying to prove here. I already know that you think people overestimate Decidueye's chances based on being a Grass starter (Which I actually agree with), but now it just seems to me like you don't respect opinions.
It's CLEAR you don't get it. If you still don't after the above and still think it has to do with me "not respecting opinions" or whatever, don't bother responding.
I respect opinions. What I don't respect is accusations on my character based on a lack of understanding on someone else's part.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I know most of these.
But hey, I never said I won't play them. I'm actually planning to play them.
It's gonna be a bit hard to get used to permadeath, having to use actual strategy, and lack of grinding, but I can handle that.
It's free time that I don't have.
If you think perma death is hard I suggest playing FE7 before FE6. Roy's game is far more difficult and deals with specific Gaiden chapters that are needed for the full ending, and come with sometimes hard requirements that aren't well explained. FE8 has grinding though.

FE9 and FE10 have bonus experience so you won't really need to grind.

And if you don't like the way your characters are under leveled, there's still area and boss abuse. Those can come in handy with FE6 and FE7 specifically, tho perma death makes it risky.

View attachment 133585
Even Lucina has almost 10.000 more votes than Ike
Lyn had a dedicated cult following to thank for her vote. But hey, that's a good testimony to her popularity.

However,

Ike's votes where separated from two of his main appearances; FE9 Ike :ike: and FE10 Ike :4myfriends:. Combined, Ike still remains the most popular.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Again, none of that changes the point that was being made.
The point is that wanting Fire Emblem characters that use a lance and an axe for the sake of having Fire Emblem characters that use a lance and an axe is the same exact thing as wanting a Pokemon that is a Grass type for the sake of having a Pokemon that is Grass type. It doesn't look at the value of the character in question, just what "set" they can arbitrarily complete for the sake of completing said set.

It doesn't matter if one set happens to coincidentally 2/3 complete while one is only 1/3.
It doesn't matter if more people "feel something's missing" in regards to one set than the other.
It doesn't matter if there are people that think there are too many characters of one series.
It doesn't matter if there are people that don't play either one of the series.
It doesn't matter if people believe one set is more "iconic".

None of that is relevant to the point being made nor does any of it actually even properly ADDRESS the point.
All that ANY of those do is make excuses to justify why people would support the idea of completing one set over the other, which no one is even ASKING for the "why".

What is so difficult for you to understand about that?
I can see what you mean now, and I can assure you that I care about other factors besides completion.

During the Sceptile days, I admittedly did want it "Just because", as I don't have any attachments to it aside from one playthrough of Emerald (Swampert was my favorite back then) and it doesn't have anything exciting about its moveset either.

With Decidueye, I actually do have personal attachments to the Pokemon (It's my literally my 3rd favorite Pokemon) and I think it will be very interesting with abow-based moveset, and I think it has a decent shot in getting in because of Pokken, popularity and relevance, but I don't think it's a shoo-in by any means.

The main reason I want an Axe/Lance user is because they'd fight very differently from every other FE characters we have on the roster now. I'm not saying everyone is a clone of Marth by any means, but it would be interesting to see a character that uses an axe as their primary weapon of choice.
It's CLEAR you don't get it. If you still don't after the above and still think it has to do with me "not respecting opinions" or whatever, don't bother responding.
I respect opinions. What I don't respect is accusations on my character based on a lack of understanding on someone else's part.
You came off as kind of agressive. That's why I said that. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

When I said I'm bad at arguing, I wasn't joking. I hope I provided a satisfying answer.

If you think perma death is hard I suggest playing FE7 before FE6. Roy's game is far more difficult and deals with specific Gaiden chapters that are needed for the full ending, and come with sometimes hard requirements that aren't well explained. FE8 has grinding though.

FE9 and FE10 have bonus experience so you won't really need to grind.

And if you don't like the way your characters are under leveled, there's still area and boss abuse. Those can come in handy with FE6 and FE7 specifically, tho perma death makes it risky.
I see. I'll keep these in mind. I'll play them whenever I have free time.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Lyn>Takamaru because while I can't think of many options from FE that would be better than Lyn, I can easily think up 10 retro characters that are infinitely more interesting than ****ing Takamaru. God, am I sick of hearing about Takamaru..
I really don't understand why your so upset about Takamaru getting some recognition. He's a great character from a good game who would actually be quite interesting as a fighter. He literally has Kunai, Fire, Lightning, Invisibility, and that's without bringing in any of the lore from the game that could potentially be incorporated into his moveset.
Excite Biker, Mach Rider, Balloon Fighter, Great Puma, Muddy Mole, Ayumi Tachibana, Sukapon, Lip, Tin Star, Sable Prince
For the record I think your mixing up interesting with different. Mach Rider, Balloon Fighter, and Excite Biker are all dependent on just being attached to a specific object that could potentially make them interesting but more likely they'd look rather wonky in a Smash Bros setting. Sukapon could just as easily be the more popular, more recognizable Rayman. And I'm not really familiar with the others to be fair. Not saying they can't be interesting, just saying being different and strange doesn't make them inherently interesting.
EDIT: Oh, and Mike Jones from Star Tropics, as sort of the reverse Sukapon
I would adore any type of Startropics representation. Alas, stickers in Brawl is probably as close as we'll get.

Also, I have to say people like to put "Retro Character" in a degree of it's own when it doesn't necessarily have to be. There can be multiple Retro Characters or no Retro at all. There's no set rule that a Retro has to be added to every game, nor that there only has to be one.

Last edited:
I definitely didn't forget to edit the thread poll for the biggest release of the year no sir.

Next up, Nintendo's flagship franchise, Mario.
Will Odyssey change things?
Will Pauline return to the spotlight of her arcade days?
Where Paper Mario fall flat?
Will Toad finally get out from Peach's dress, possibly donning a backpack and headgear?

Who knows. It's up for you to guess :p

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I don't think Odyssey really changes much character-wise. At best, we might see some of Mario's moves changed to incorporate Cappy into them (like the various hat throws).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can see what you mean now, and I can assure you that I care about other factors besides completion.

During the Sceptile days, I admittedly did want it "Just because", as I don't have any attachments to it aside from one playthrough of Emerald (Swampert was my favorite back then) and it doesn't have anything exciting about its moveset either.

With Decidueye, I actually do have personal attachments to the Pokemon (It's my literally my 3rd favorite Pokemon) and I think it will be very interesting with abow-based moveset, and I think it has a decent shot in getting in because of Pokken, popularity and relevance, but I don't think it's a shoo-in by any means.

The main reason I want an Axe/Lance user is because they'd fight very differently from every other FE characters we have on the roster now. I'm not saying everyone is a clone of Marth by any means, but it would be interesting to see a character that uses an axe as their primary weapon of choice.
Honestly, it's no skin off my back if you had the completion reasoning for wanting them or not. You do you. -shrug-
I just wanted it to be clear that the point that Uni made wasn't truly being addressed.

You came off as kind of agressive. That's why I said that. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

When I said I'm bad at arguing, I wasn't joking. I hope I provided a satisfying answer.
Apology accepted.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Tbh I don't see Odyssey having any real repercussions on the roster. It doesn't really have a Rosalina type - Pauline would be closest (but she's a big stretch imo - let's see if she gets into the other Mario spinoffs first), and it's not like Galaxy effected Mario's moveset. Mario is such a weighty franchise that one main title by itself still really isn't enough to make or break chances... it remains cumulative...

That said, the trophies will be numerable, the music will be prolific, and the stage will be guaranteed, if not several times over. I hope it's New Donk Festival. Or New Donk City with a festival variant. Ruined Kingdom was also neat.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
and it's not like Galaxy effected Mario's moveset. Mario is such a weighty franchise that one main title by itself still really isn't enough to make or break chances... it remains cumulative...
If that's the case, why did he get the F.L.U.D.D. in Brawl?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom