• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Im pretty sure mario kart is way way more popular than Smash. I know we;re biased towards it, but im pretty sure MK outsells Smash every single time by a wide margin.

I dont pay too much attention to sales so I may very well be wrong, but Im pretty sure im right on this one.

EDIT forgot to quote lol
Yep, Mario Kart Wii alone has 32mil, Smash Bros. as a series has like 38mil.
Give or take some I suppose, don't know how accurate VGchartz is, but even if they're off by a few mil, it's still pretty clear which one wins out.

Oh, definitely. No doubt about that, but I don't think it's impossible to believe we could see more than just two characters, and that's it. While, it's possible that might be all we get I just can't see Nintendo not cashing in on DLC potential for Smash Switch. It's easy money. We'd all buy it. Even if it wasn't a character/stage you are I personally wanted the completionist in me would have to buy it.

2 characters from the start? A given.

2-5 characters from the start? Possible (and in my eyes likely.)

More characters and content added over the course of YEARS through DLC? It'd be a missed opportunity not to.
To be fair, a lot of Nintendo's decisions are missed opportunities.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Will Sonic ever get a second character? If so, who would it be.
Really, there are only four "main" options. Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, and Dr. Eggman.

If it's a matter of which one gets the most requests, it will be Shadow.
If it's a matter of which one has the most to offer, it will be Dr. Eggman.
If it's a matter of which one is the most significant after Sonic himself, it will be Dr. Eggman again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
3-5 characters seems reasonable overall on base release for a port. Just enough to add characters that are requested(including two veterans) and still keep the game interesting. DLC is another story and should be an afterthought, imo. Unless it's a character they knew couldn't be finished quickly enough.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Shadow's popularity surely still isn't THAT big anymore? He hasn't really had a starring role in forever.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Shadow's popularity surely still isn't THAT big anymore? He hasn't really had a starring role in forever.
I disagree, who could forget such pivotal roles as 'Random 2 second boss with no context' in Boom, or "You've got this Sonic!" in Generations.

D

Deleted member

It's still pretty high. It may not be as strong as it was years ago, but it's likely he's still the second most popular character after Sonic.

The only one I could see possibly usurping that role is the Doc. And that's because his popularity overall has spiked in more recent times.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
-Given Splatoon's success, I agree that the Inklings will more than likely make it in.

-The Ice Climbers, as much as I want them to return will really be dependent on whether or not they run into any other issues. While, I'd hope not, it's still a very real possibility.

-Again, provided they take the route you describe, then a Gen 7 Pokemon does seem like a likely candidate, but I wouldn't place all my bets on Decidueye at this point. There's still plenty of competition among Gen 7.

-Spring Man/Ribbon Girl are really dependent on whether or not ARMS turns out to be a success.

-Alm or Celica, who while I'd like to see, probably have the weakest case given that we have a new FE on the horizon for Switch and Sakurai was already hesitant to add Corrin and believes he was pushing it with the FE representation.

While your model is the one I'd like to see if another Smash made from scratch isn't in the cards, I'm in the same camp as Fisher. My expectations are set low, so I expect something similar to MK8 Deluxe. I don't think there'll much if any new content. My bets are on a port that just includes all the DLC, and maybe 1 or 2 additional characters/stages.
I don't see what issues the Ice Climbers would present this time around. Without the limitations of the 3DS, and the power of the Switch I don't think their addition would be difficult to implement.

The reason I say Decidueye is because Rowlet's popularity, and Ash having Rowlet in the anime. A lot of people think the anime has nothing to do with Pokemon representation, but look at JIgglypuff, Charizard, and Greninja. Jigglypuff was very prevalent in the anime at the time of it's inclusion. Charizard is popular due to Ash's (badass) Charizard, and Ash had a Greninja. I know Sakurai chose Greninja before X and Y came out because he had access to it's design, and probably access to it's future importance in the anime just not to the point of Ash-Greninja.

I agree Spring Man/Ribbon Girl will depend on ARMS popularity and success.

I forgot a new Fire Emblem was coming out. Maybe Alm and Celica won't make it in favor of a new character. While he may have felt that way about adding Corrin, he still did it, and has said before while he wants to make fans happy, it's still his game.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Sonic character people really want to see.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Im pretty sure mario kart is way way more popular than Smash. I know we;re biased towards it, but im pretty sure MK outsells Smash every single time by a wide margin.

I dont pay too much attention to sales so I may very well be wrong, but Im pretty sure im right on this one.

EDIT forgot to quote lol
I could be wrong as well, but I see more people talking about Smash, and getting hype over Smash, than I do Mario Kart. Like you said though, we are all kind of bias. :p

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Sonic character people really want to see.

Big used to be the most hated Sonic character of all time, until memes happened.

The big lug is alright, but I doubt he has enough merit as a fighter.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Yep, Mario Kart Wii alone has 32mil, Smash Bros. as a series has like 38mil.
Give or take some I suppose, don't know how accurate VGchartz is, but even if they're off by a few mil, it's still pretty clear which one wins out.

To be fair, a lot of Nintendo's decisions are missed opportunities.
Well, congratulations to Mario Kart! :D

You're also very right about Nintendo being prone to missed opportunities. 100% agree.

Also, where did you get those pictures? They are amazing.

D

Deleted member

The reason I say Decidueye is because Rowlet's popularity, and Ash having Rowlet in the anime. A lot of people think the anime has nothing to do with Pokemon representation, but look at JIgglypuff, Charizard, and Greninja. Jigglypuff was very prevalent in the anime at the time of it's inclusion. Charizard is popular due to Ash's (badass) Charizard, and Ash had a Greninja. I know Sakurai chose Greninja before X and Y came out because he had access to it's design, and probably access to it's future importance in the anime just not to the point of Ash-Greninja.
>Using Ash having Rowlet as reason for Decidueye
>Discusses the anime having to do with Pokémon representation (which it does, especially the movies)

-looking at avatar-

*COUGH*

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
>Using Ash having Rowlet as reason for Decidueye
>Discusses the anime having to do with Pokémon representation (which it does, especially the movies)

-looking at avatar-

*COUGH*
Hey, I'd be totally fine with Incineroar. I have one myself. I love him. Hims my big strong kitty man.

Decidueye would just give us a grass starter, and I know he was the most popular starter for Sun and Moon. We will just have to see who Ash gets in the long run.

Plot Twist: Primadonna makes a Splash!

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I don't see what issues the Ice Climbers would present this time around. Without the limitations of the 3DS, and the power of the Switch I don't think their addition would be difficult to implement.

I agree Spring Man/Ribbon Girl will depend on ARMS popularity and success.

I forgot a new Fire Emblem was coming out. Maybe Alm and Celica won't make it in favor of a new character. While he may have felt that way about adding Corrin, he still did it, and has said before while he wants to make fans happy, it's still his game.
:popo: That's my hope, but the pessimist in me wants to keep it as a precaution. I want the Icies back really bad, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it. And while the Switch is much more powerful than a 3DS. It's still possible that issues might be present. I've no doubt they could work in a regular 2-4 player match. But 8-Player Smash with all Ice Climbers lots of items like Pokeballs and Assist Trophies, makes me think twice about getting my hopes up.

What @GoldenYuiitusin said :p

The anime certainly has influence and Ash does have Rowlet, but there's reason to believe that Incineroar is a solid contender as well. Plus there are still other popular picks like Tapu Koko. And to clarify with Greninja, Sakurai only had access to early concept art from the games, the fact Greninja became so popular and played a big role in the anime is likely a separate matter altogether.

Agreed on the latter two. I just hope making fans happy doesn't involve caving to the many that hate FE vehemently.

I could be wrong as well, but I see more people talking about Smash, and getting hype over Smash, than I do Mario Kart. Like you said though, we are all kind of bias. :p
I mean, the fact we're all here posting on a site called Smashboards is pretty telling. Of course as fans we're all probably a bit biased about Smash. When it comes to the general public though, Mario Kart is much more popular and recognizable.

Well, congratulations to Mario Kart! :D

You're also very right about Nintendo being prone to missed opportunities. 100% agree.

Also, where did you get those pictures? They are amazing.
I assume you mean the one's in my signature? (I feel kind of dumb for asking since there aren't any others I've posted aside from Big the Cat :p)

The images in my sig are from the support threads. Not all character threads have them though, I just looked around for three that did have them.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
:popo: That's my hope, but the pessimist in me wants to keep it as a precaution. I want the Icies back really bad, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it. And while the Switch is much more powerful than a 3DS. It's still possible that issues might be present. I've no doubt they could work in a regular 2-4 player match. But 8-Player Smash with all Ice Climbers lots of items like Pokeballs and Assist Trophies, makes me think twice about getting my hopes up.

What @GoldenYuiitusin said :p

The anime certainly has influence and Ash does have Rowlet, but there's reason to believe that Incineroar is a solid contender as well. Plus there are still other popular picks like Tapu Koko. And to clarify with Greninja, Sakurai only had access to early concept art from the games, the fact Greninja became so popular and played a big role in the anime is likely a separate matter altogether.

As for Spring Man/ Ribbon Girl even if ARMS isn't a total blow out success, I could still possibly see their inclusion as they'd add a unique fighting style. Long range melee fighter.

Agreed on the latter two. I just hope making fans happy doesn't involve caving to the many that hate FE vehemently.

I mean, the fact we're all here posting on a site called Smashboards is pretty telling. Of course as fans we're all probably a bit biased about Smash. When it comes to the general public though, Mario Kart is much more popular and recognizable.
I love the Ice Climbers. I almost cried when I found out they weren't going to be back. I'd be fine with Incineroar being added to the roster. He'd be a wrestler, which is a fighting archetype we have yet to see. As for Fire Emblem representation, I think it'll just be as wait-and-see situation. May or may not happen. I've never played Fire Emblem, and Robin is the bane of my existence in Smash. I do enjoy Corrin though.

Sidenote, I love Mario Kart. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe comes out on my birthday, and that tickles me pink.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Hey, this video has some Mortal Kombat characters Final Smashes and they look cool IMO.

Ignore the crappy Links and the other stuff, haha.

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
Considering more than half of this thread has gone into character related stuff, can't we just have a separate thread for character matters?

It's pretty understandable that characters for a Smash game are pretty hot, but I'd like to discuss some other matters for the Switch Super Smash Bros. speculation...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
They already did that. Keep in mind it didn't do enough to matter for IC's, likely.

My point is if they can't make them work even with stuff like that, letting them not all be used for 8 players(as in 16 Climbers)or cutting them from the mode if it causes issues isn't a big deal in the long run. It's a "if necessary choice" at this point. Hopefully they wouldn't have to, of course.
I guess I'm just saying that if you want the Ice Climbers and 8-player Smash at the same time, they both have to work together. If performance issues happen with 8 sets of Ice Climbers, then something has to get the boot.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Considering more than half of this thread has gone into character related stuff, can't we just have a separate thread for character matters?

It's pretty understandable that characters for a Smash game are pretty hot, but I'd like to discuss some other matters for the Switch Super Smash Bros. speculation...
What else would you like to talk about? Stages? Items? Modes? I got ideas for them all.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312

Well we did try switching topics a few times earlier, but it always ends up back on characters... Still, now that things have cooled down a bit, this is probably as good a time as any to switch gears. Fire away, what do you want to discuss?

EDIT: oops, Stephen beat me to the punch

Last edited:

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
Eh, how about... Modes?

I replayed a bit of Melee after I had my 4 fevor sated, and I went and played a bit of Bonus matches. The mode went like this, you were fighting like normal, but you are being judged on how you fight, rather than your performance during the whole thing, or the amount of stock you had left. This lead to me trying all sorts of moves; Meteor Smashes, taunting, and just lead me straight into the section of the Melee menu that had to do with telling you just what the bonus scoring is and how you earn it.

I'd be up for having something like this return, but something tells me that it might not be too high priority with the dev team...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I guess I'm just saying that if you want the Ice Climbers and 8-player Smash at the same time, they both have to work together. If performance issues happen with 8 sets of Ice Climbers, then something has to get the boot.
Nothing has to get the "boot". Just limit the number of IC's or remove them from a mode if necessary. Outright removing the mode is silly because 1 character doesn't work in it. As long as 4 IC's work by default, they're not an issue for the main game in itself.

IC's didn't work in Smash 3DS as is with 4 total IC's(or technically 8). This was a good reason to remove them. Whether or not they worked with 8-player Smash in 4 is unknown, but there's suggestions it was unlikely. Even then, the only reason they're gone is they can't be played normally without a lot of issues in both main versions of the game. Removing them from one mode is nowhere near the same thing as removing them from the entire game.

It's perfectly fine if they're a little limited or not in the mode itself. Up to 4 IC's is fine. I'd still like more than 4 costumes, though. I mean, if it's still to the point that having IC's during 8 Player Smash with 8 actual characters is still too taxing(due to Nana's A.I. And yes this a hypothetical), then just disable 8 player Smash during Classic when IC's are involved. Easy. IC's should be higher priority overall anyway, but there's no reason both can't exist.

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
Nothing has to get the "boot". Just limit the number of IC's or remove them from a mode if necessary. Outright removing the mode is silly because 1 character doesn't work in it. As long as 4 IC's work by default, they're not an issue for the main game in itself.

IC's didn't work in Smash 3DS as is with 4 total IC's(or technically 8). This was a good reason to remove them. Whether or not they worked with 8-player Smash in 4 is unknown, but there's suggestions it was unlikely. Even then, the only reason they're gone is they can't be played normally without a lot of issues in both main versions of the game. Removing them from one mode is nowhere near the same thing as removing them from the entire game.

It's perfectly fine if they're a little limited or not in the mode itself. Up to 4 IC's is fine. I'd still like more than 4 costumes, though. I mean, if it's still to the point that having IC's during 8 Player Smash with 8 actual characters is still too taxing(due to Nana's A.I. And yes this a hypothetical), then just disable 8 player Smash during Classic when IC's are involved. Easy. IC's should be higher priority overall anyway, but there's no reason both can't exist.
That's... a pretty good point. They could just limit them or something if it does not seem to work out for them in 8 player smash...

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Eh, how about... Modes?

I replayed a bit of Melee after I had my 4 fevor sated, and I went and played a bit of Bonus matches. The mode went like this, you were fighting like normal, but you are being judged on how you fight, rather than your performance during the whole thing, or the amount of stock you had left. This lead to me trying all sorts of moves; Meteor Smashes, taunting, and just lead me straight into the section of the Melee menu that had to do with telling you just what the bonus scoring is and how you earn it.

I'd be up for having something like this return, but something tells me that it might not be too high priority with the dev team...
That would be intersting, however, I think that'd be more geared towards competitive players. If you are being graded that adds a lot of pressure, and if there were prizes tied to the mode that you could only get by getting certain scores it may not be enjoyable for a majority of the Smash Community.

I have an idea for a mode that is similar to the Subspace Emissary fighting style. You'd set the rules and choose between 2-5 fighters, all I one stock each. When one fighter is KO'd the next appears immediate. It'd make for some interesting matches and player combos.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
That would be intersting, however, I think that'd be more geared towards competitive players. If you are being graded that adds a lot of pressure, and if there were prizes tied to the mode that you could only get by getting certain scores it may not be enjoyable for a majority of the Smash Community.

I have an idea for a mode that is similar to the Subspace Emissary fighting style. You'd set the rules and choose between 2-5 fighters, all I one stock each. When one fighter is KO'd the next appears immediate. It'd make for some interesting matches and player combos.
The fact that it might be more popular with competitive players is something that shouldn't be an issue imo. Regardless of that it'd still be a fun mode to have/bring back. Even if it is geared more towards the competitive crowd, that doesn't mean casual players can't enjoy it as well.

Predicating it's viability on whether or not it'd have prizes, etc. shouldn't stop the mode from being considered. There are already pretty tough Event matches and Challenges. So long as there's a decent spread of difficulty among Bonus matches like there are for other modes, I think it should be taken into consideration.

Honestly, I'm glad The Black mage The Black mage brought them up. People tend to forget about those, I know I did, though I never owned Melee myself so I've seen very little of them.

As for the multi-man stock thing, loads of people have been asking for this for ages. I'm surprised it hasn't been done yet, though I guess it's just another example of a missed opportunity :p

Especially so, when it's already part of Smash Tour of all things.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Multi-Man Stock idea is cool and all, but I'd rather have Master Core as a Charade/Mokujin fighter that starts off as a copy of a random fighter and changes to a different one with each stock. :V

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
The Multi-Man Stock idea is cool and all, but I'd rather have Master Core as a Charade/Mokujin fighter that starts off as a copy of a random fighter and changes to a different one with each stock. :V
I don't see why both wouldn't be possible. One is a randomized copy character, the other is a mode that allows players to choose who they want. A Mokujin couldn't fill the role of the mode and the mode couldn't fill the role of Edge Master.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's really hard to say how it'll all go in the end. I think this would be the smartest decision, personally.

Like, you were saying though Sakurai had other projects he probably is already working on, and giving a majority of his attention to. However, to me, that's all the more reason to just do DLC here and there over the years.

I was a little excessive with the amount of content, but I strongly believe the Ice Climbers, Inklings, Spring Man/Ribbon Girl, Decidueye, and Alm or Celica (or both as alts) are highly, highly, HIGHLY likely to make it on to the roster.
To bring up one counterpoint though, I don't think Celica and Alm would work as Alts of each other. Their builds are incredibly different, and from the looks of it, their swordplay differs too. Not to mention their subweapons they get on promotion are entirely different, with Alm using Swords and Bows while Celica uses Swords and Tomes.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
To bring up one counterpoint though, I don't think Celica and Alm would work as Alts of each other. Their builds are incredibly different, and from the looks of it, their swordplay differs too. Not to mention their subweapons they get on promotion are entirely different, with Alm using Swords and Bows while Celica uses Swords and Tomes.
Thank you for pointing the differences of Alm and Celica out. I had no idea. Instead of having them as alts then I could see one or the other. Celica > Alm for me. I like magic.

Luminario

Smash Lord
If anything they could just be alts of Marth/Ike/Roy and Robin. I mean it's really stretching both their general concepts but it's doable if they really want them in the game but don't want to make them their own characters. Celica especially could be a clone of Robin who uses % to cast spells instead of durability. But those are just off-the-wall ideas, it'll be better to wait for the new FE Switch character if they do something cool or just throw in Anna for the time being.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
In fact, Celica can use magic from the get go, and Gaiden's magic system is...well, different from every other Fire Emblem game, not requiring a tome to cast them but instead costing some of the caster's HP.

If you squint a little, there might just be a gimmick to build a moveset around there. Like Pichu's self-harming attacks, except properly balanced.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I didn't think Corn was unique enough for the slot (and yes, due to limited time and Sakurai saying he looked specifically for a recent character, he took up a slot) so I don't think Fire Emblem should get a new character for every fart it lets out, especially not if it primarily uses a sword to fight again.
Too bad Fire Emblem's representatives are mostly clones that got added once and then just returned.
Not because it has too much "slots", but because the want for the actually unique characters and archetypes only found in FE is pretty much dead.
Even Sakurai admitted there were a lot of FE characters.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I didn't think Corn was unique enough for the slot (and yes, due to limited time and Sakurai saying he looked specifically for a recent character, he took up a slot) so I don't think Fire Emblem should get a new character for every fart it lets out, especially not if it primarily uses a sword to fight again.
Too bad Fire Emblem's representatives are mostly clones that got added once and then just returned.
Not because it has too much "slots", but because the want for the actually unique characters and archetypes only found in FE is pretty much dead.
Even Sakurai admitted there were a lot of FE characters.
The dream of a non-sword using Fire Emblem character died when he decided to overlook Hector and Ephraim. Of course that's partly the blame of the fans for rallying behind Lyn instead of Hector. Of course, I'm happy with the character we got, Ike, as he brought a whole new archetype to sword users. One that would be mimicked by the likes of Shulk and Cloud. Who's really to blame them for that though. They gave us a niche character that made us Xenoblade fans more than happy and then gave every other RPG lover the icon we thought we'd never get. Sure they came with the cost of being slightly similar to Ike but they are very much in their own way incredibly unique. The too many swords user is kind of ******** but then again it's kind of not. You have to look at every side of the reasoning for a character. Sword users may be in abundance but so are characters who simply use their fists, which for some reason people seem to overlook. The point is, Fire Emblem's lack of users of the other weapon archetypes is the real problem. It's not the fact that we have 'too many sword users' it's the fact that said sword users are starting to blend in to the others. We don't need less sword users. We need more styles of sword users. This is a big reason I support Takamaru and Isaac so much. They've got a very good chance of being very unique sword users. I'm personally fine with us getting swordsman but even I'll admit Corrin was a little much. Mostly because he/she's entire character is very similar to Marth. They could've considered Hector or Ephraim but in the end they weren't getting upcoming games. Which all in all even I, as a huge FE fan, will admit is a ****ty reason to add a character.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
The dream of a non-sword using Fire Emblem character died when he decided to overlook Hector and Ephraim. Of course that's partly the blame of the fans for rallying behind Lyn instead of Hector. Of course, I'm happy with the character we got, Ike, as he brought a whole new archetype to sword users. One that would be mimicked by the likes of Shulk and Cloud. Who's really to blame them for that though. They gave us a niche character that made us Xenoblade fans more than happy and then gave every other RPG lover the icon we thought we'd never get. Sure they came with the cost of being slightly similar to Ike but they are very much in their own way incredibly unique. The too many swords user is kind of ******** but then again it's kind of not. You have to look at every side of the reasoning for a character. Sword users may be in abundance but so are characters who simply use their fists, which for some reason people seem to overlook. The point is, Fire Emblem's lack of users of the other weapon archetypes is the real problem. It's not the fact that we have 'too many sword users' it's the fact that said sword users are starting to blend in to the others. We don't need less sword users. We need more styles of sword users. This is a big reason I support Takamaru and Isaac so much. They've got a very good chance of being very unique sword users. I'm personally fine with us getting swordsman but even I'll admit Corrin was a little much. Mostly because he/she's entire character is very similar to Marth. They could've considered Hector or Ephraim but in the end they weren't getting upcoming games. Which all in all even I, as a huge FE fan, will admit is a ****ty reason to add a character.
Well...in truth, it was more about relevance. Fates came out the previous summer in Japan, so Corrin was relevant at the right time, which isn't easy in a series like Fire Emblem that has a constantly rotating cast. Combined with Corrin being a half-dragon shapeshifter who can morph individual parts of his/her body at a time, there was enough uniqueness there to get the nod despite the concerns. Hector and Ephraim were...well, victims of circumstance. By the time Brawl's development was under way, Path of Radiance was the newest, most relevant Fire Emblem game, and Ike did have unique traits in being a more hands-on swordsman who swings a zweihander around like it's nothing. Had Brawl come about a couple years earlier, maybe instead of joking about Ike fighting for his friends we'd be joking about how Ephraim doesn't pick fights he can't win.

...Seriously, though, have y'all looked at Corrin's moveset? The number of pure sword attacks is dwarfed by the number that involve shapeshifting in some way. And many of them are based on Corrin's actual attack animations in Fates!

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'm all for more swords but if they come from the series that also has Thieves, Mages in all shapes and forms, Wyvern and Pegasus-riders, Dancers and of course Manaketes on top of more basic, but still unrepresented weaponry such as lances, staves, bows and axes picking the sword-users seems a bit odd.
Fire Emblem is a treasure trove of stunning RPG archetypes that I would love to have a Smash-fighter of so it's sad to see sword users filling "slots" (and yeah Sakurai said there's a lot of FE characters so he might not be willing to add a new FE character, even if, say, Azura is a Aquamancer, Dancer, Singer, Terraformer and Lancer in one)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sonic, Final Fantasy and Street Fighter are third party franchises with gaming icons as iconic and recognizable to mass audiences as their icon that is already in Smash.

Them getting a second character is more likely than you'd probably think IMO.

ESPECIALLY Sonic and Street Fighter.

Sonic because he was one of the first third party franchises in Smash Brothers and Street Fighter because Sakurai loves himself some Street Fighter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom