• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think it's to do with them all using swords a lot. You know, slash here, slash there, slashy slashy~ it's easy to make a moveset for but rather boring as FE has such weapon variety. Robin's the biggest offender of this, as they could have gone down the road of a pure tome user without that dreadful durability gimmick.
Still, they all play differently and they're all exceptionally unique, so out of the 6 FE characters those 4 are most likely to be returning.
I mean, I'd have preferred a pure magic moveset as well (seeing as I barely use swords with Robin in Awakening), but at least that has an in-game basis, with Robin starting out with both Sword and Tome access.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
And somehow we're still on Fire Emblem...

I guess I'll throw in my two cents. I think you both bring up some good points, though I doubt you'll reach an agreement.

In terms of expectations of the next Smash installment, I'd say PsychoJosh PsychoJosh is right. It's doubtful every character from Smash For will make it back (at least not in the base game.) Some cuts can be expected, and with clones, not just Lucina and Roy, but all clones in general, they're likely candidates to be cut, or rather they may not be considered during planning and will make it in by happenstance like Doc, DP, and Lucina did this time around. I could see FE being cut down to 3 or 4 characters, one of those being a newcomer, and one of the veterans being Marth. (Or if we get really drastic like RelaxAlax's "What if there were only 30 characters?" then I could it end up being just those two; Marth and a newcomer.)

Now, with Opossum Opossum argument, I agree that ideally no one would be cut. I'd say they're right in saying that the FE cast have pretty varied fighting styles across the board aside from clones, who are expected to be similar, and counters, the only true complaint I have with them. And addressing Lucina and Roy who are the most likely to be dropped first, it can really go either way. Even if we lose a unique fighter, these two still have a decent chance of being squeezed in again because of they fact that they are clones. And given that clones are extra bonuses, I don't have a problem with them. Some say they inflate the roster, but they provide extra characters that many enjoy, without taking away from development time. Whether you enjoy clones or not is a different matter altogether, and you're free to dislike them, but nothing is lost by having them.

And a quick note addressing clones in general; the preferred scenario is to keep clones and slowly differentiate them as the series progresses, not cut them. Well, IMO at least

:4marth: - Guaranteed veteran.
:4myfriends::4robinf::4corrinf: - Hold priority over the two below, and will compete with each other + possible newcomers.
:4feroy::4lucina: - Lowest priority, but may still slip into the game even if most of the 3 above are cut. Depending on how development goes, it could swing either way.

tl;dr - Ideally cutting should be avoided when possible, but some cuts are very likely once a new Smash comes round, especially if they start from scratch. Who and how many will depend on budget/time/team size, etc. Stuff you all know already.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I know you're trying to say that disappointment from some fans is inevitable. That's true. At the end of the day of course some folks will be disappointed. That isn't even just true for Fire Emblem. The same can be said for the roster at large.

But that's just the thing...if we can't get all of the Fire Emblem protagonists in the game, and you don't want others disappointed by their omission...then why would you opt to severely downsize what's already there? That would just disappoint more people. Yeah, at the end of the day, fans of Chrom, Lyn, or Alm might be disappointed, but why add the fans of Roy/Lucina/Corrin/Robin onto that?
Numerous reasons, as I've previously mentioned.

1. The characters are all too homogenous and similar in playstyle and aesthetic, which makes them boring.
2. The development of Fire Emblem characters eats up time and money that could be spent on other, more interesting characters.
3. Fans of other series do not have to warm the benches waiting for even one rep while you get six reps. You're being extremely selfish and basically asking them to be disappointed instead of you. While it is true that lessening the FE characters in the game doesn't guarantee that more varied franchises will be added, it's still worth it for the more potential of getting more varied reps from different games anyways.
4. The fans would still be appeased by three characters anyways, as long as they're the right ones.

You also say that the Fire Emblem characters are homogeneous, even outside of the clones. That couldn't be further from the truth. Roy and Lucina aside for obvious reasons, the current cast all play completely differently.

Marth is a quick and nimble swordsman whose style emulates European fencing and has a large focus on spacing to pressure foes.

Ike is a burly swordsman who, while slow, punishes the enemy's mistake with brute force

Robin follows the Magic Knight/Red Mage archetype by using various magical tomes and two distinct swords. He's a projectile-heavy zoner who relies on resource management skills.

Corrin is a versatile swordswoman and part dragon, using both the chainsaw-like Omega Yato and various moves that rely on partial transformation. She's a nimble character who relies on stage control and high mobility.
You are exaggerating their differences. To myself and most outsiders to the series, we just see sword guy, sword guy, book and sword guy, sword girl that's occasionally a chainsaw girl, sword guy, sword girl. It doesn't help that apart from Robin and Corrin, all of them are up-close combatants share many of the exact same moves. When I talk about playstyle I'm also referring to the aesthetics of different fighting styles, and none of them are really different enough to merit their inclusion. As an example, Soulcalibur has more than just swordfighters, they have characters that use axes, bo staff, kodachi, .nunchucks, claws, halberds, and even a strange blade that resembles a hula hoop. Even their sword fighters are varied; one wields a scimitar, one wields a katana, one wields two swords in each hand, one wields a giant broadsword taller than he is. I am not seeing that kind of variety in the FE characters, not enough to merit having six of them. The other franchises in the game have extreme variety.

Pretty much the only thing alike with any of them is the fact that Marth and Ike both have a Counter move (which makes sense when considering how integral counter attacks are in their home series) and Corrin has Dragon Surge. They're all also pretty visually distinct, especially now that Ike is using his Radiant Dawn look.
You say that but I don't agree. I don't think they're visually distinct at all, apart from the fact that Robin uses a book to cast spells and Corrin sometimes turns into a dragon. True visual distinction is illustrated by the differences between Mario, Peach, Donkey Kong, Rosalina, Dedede, Wario, Bowser, Ness and Yoshi. What I see with the Fire Emblem characters is a bunch of "beautiful" 5-6 foot tall anime characters that all have similar uninteresting silhouettes. They look the same, talk the same and even play mostly the same. Finally, counter moves are the most cancerous thing in Smash 4. They should alter it somehow in the next game, possibly by making it a universal mechanic that's nowhere near as strong, or at least make it so that you don't completely negate all damage when you counter a deathblow move at high percents.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
This conversation reminds me of times when Ike was called a marth clone

Good times. Stupid times, but fun to remember I suppose.
You say that, but I still see people call Lucario a Mewtwo clone, Wolf a Fox clone, and generally being incapable of differentiating any differences between the Fire Emblem cast as a whole, both in terms of characters in smash and within the FE series itself.

PsychoJosh

You say that, but I still see people call Lucario a Mewtwo clone, Wolf a Fox clone, and generally being incapable of differentiating any differences between the Fire Emblem cast as a whole, both in terms of characters in smash and within the FE series itself.
I acknowledge that the differences are there. But whenever fans accuse these characters of being clones, I wouldn't exactly say it's the fan's fault. It's more the fault of the visual designers and game directors who let people PERCEIVE them as being clones. If they wanted to avoid it they should pull out all the stops in making them seem more unique. Unique animations, unique movesets with unique utilities. What keeps this perception going is the notion that the "clones" moves can be used in a lot of the exact same situations as the originals' moves.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This conversation reminds me of times when Ike was called a marth clone

Good times. Stupid times, but fun to remember I suppose.
Which is still sad. Being they play nothing alike whatsoever. Two moves are kind of the same. Yeah, that makes a clone. -_-

Anyway, I was very pleased with Smash 4's unique newcomers and I did enjoy the two clones regardless among the FE cast.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
New topic: Should Smash have a Pokémon GO stage or no?

At least I can see that being fine mobile representation for it when the Pokémon Trainer gimmick will likely never return (Thus making the trainers and Gym Leaders of that title unlikely).

Luminario

Smash Lord
Oh my GOD are we ever going to reach some compromise here? This is pointless.
You're both right: Fire Emblem characters can do so much more than primarily sword attacks and that is a valid complaint, but the main 4 unique FE characters play differently enough and are popular enough to not warrant cuts unless a different character comes along that does what they do better. Robin and Corrin are at threat from new FE characters, Lucina and Roy are at threat from being low priority (semi) clones capable of being alts, and Marth and Ike aren't going anywhere. Can we PLEASE move on to a different subject.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312

At least I can see that being fine mobile representation for it when the Pokémon Trainer gimmick will likely never return (Thus making the trainers and Gym Leaders of that title unlikely).
What would that even be? Now I haven't played GO, but from what I've seen there aren't really any locations to use given the kind of game that it is.

I could see FE: Heroes and Super Mario Run getting a stage, but GO not so much.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
What would that even be? Now I haven't played GO, but from what I've seen there aren't really any locations to use given the kind of game that it is.

I could see FE: Heroes and Super Mario Run getting a stage, but GO not so much.
They can probably use a generic location that takes real world elements, without things that could get Smash sued (The Red Cross, etc). A library, a church, park, school, theme park, train station, you name it. I see it as a traveling stage given the game's focus on walking to catch Pokemon around the world. Random Pokemon would spawn and attack attack from the area.

Heroes and Mario Run can work more easily, but Go was their biggest and most popular mobile title (even if it was mostly Niantic's doing). It even helped sold more Pokemon games alone for the casuals that never played a Pokemon title before. Still didn't stop the fan vs non-fan wars however.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Robin and Corrin are at threat from new FE characters,
No they're not. If they were at threat then Ike probably wouldn't have returned. Moreover no unique moveset has been cut outside of:

- Side effect of removing a gimmick :squirtle::ivysaur:
- Technical Difficulties :popo:
- Issues with the rights :snake:

Robin and Corrin are safe because they don't have a gimmick that'll be removed, won't have tech issues and they're Nintendo characters.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

But haven't you heard, Pokemon GO is dead. :troll:

More like they still owe us training, a better battle system, more gens, and legendaries. And I'd argue that the game isn't as popular as it used to anymore when compared to last year's launch.

Honestly, I see more potential in Super Mario Run, even though that would mean another generic Mario stage. Not sure what Heroes would really have other than traveling between various iconic locations/universes. Lore is far from the first thing in mind for that game (they even have portal guns). Just typical Fire Emblem fanservice (Not that kind, you pervert).

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
They can probably use a generic location that takes real world elements, without things that could get Smash sued (The Red Cross, etc). A library, a church, park, school, theme park, train station, you name it. I see it as a traveling stage given the game's focus on walking to catch Pokemon around the world. Random Pokemon would spawn and attack attack from the area.

Heroes and Mario Run can work more easily, but Go was their biggest and most popular mobile title (even if it was mostly Niantic's doing). It even helped sold more Pokemon games alone for the casuals that never played a Pokemon title before. Still didn't stop the fan vs non-fan wars however.
I'd personally still take an actual in-game location over GO to be honest. Big as it was, the same could be achieved by using routes and towns from the actual games. If we do get a general generic stage though, it'd need to be something really unique/interesting kind of like Pokefloats. Otherwise I don't see them going for it, though I'm sure they'd probably craft a good stage for it if they really wanted to get some bigger GO representation. I do think GO should receive some sort of acknowledgement, but I think trophies are probably the way to go.

Luminario

Smash Lord

I wouldn't really say Pokemon Go should have a stage exactly, it doesn't really jump out as being stage worthy. I can see it getting some trophy love though, along with FE Heroes. In the unlikely event of Anna getting in the game she could get a Heroes alt or the others to get one of those special themed outfits (please not Lucina in a bunny outfit though) but besides that the mobile games don't have much to work with.

Though now that you mention this it could definitely work, where the transition creates a platform and the background fades to that white map look before jumping off to a different iconic landmark that's loosely based on real world locations (Mount Mario Rushmore? Big Bowser? Notre Dam-sel in distress? Prism Tower is essentially the Eiffel Tower anyway)
No they're not. If they were at threat then Ike probably wouldn't have returned. Moreover no unique moveset has been cut outside of:

- Side effect of removing a gimmick :squirtle::ivysaur:
- Technical Difficulties :popo:
- Issues with the rights :snake:

Robin and Corrin are safe because they don't have a gimmick that'll be removed, won't have tech issues and they're Nintendo characters.

Nah I meant in regards to another Red Mage/Manakete main character. You're probably right though they're safe.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
But haven't you heard, Pokemon GO is dead. :troll:

More like they still owe us training, a better battle system, more gens, and legendaries. And I'd argue that the game isn't as popular as it used to anymore when compared to last year's launch.

Honestly, I see more potential in Super Mario Run, even though that would mean another generic Mario stage. Not sure what Heroes would really have other than traveling between various iconic locations/universes. Lore is far from the first thing in mind for that game (they even have portal guns). Just typical Fire Emblem fanservice (Not that kind, you pervert).
If anything I think FE: Heroes could have the best potential for stage out of the mobile games Nintendo has put out. Given that it's a crossover, they could do exactly that and include multiple iconic locations by making it a transforming/travelong stage

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

PsychoJosh PsychoJosh

The reason you're not getting a lot of respect is because you come off like this but somehow even meaner. It's all in tone.

This is getting ridiculous.

Let's move on from Fire Emblem for now.

Will Sonic ever get a second character? If so, who would it be.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To be fair, 8 player Smash doesn't need to be online in itself. That said, I hope IC's would work in 8 player Smash offline when it comes to the Switch. Best case scenario is you can't use them in that mode and leave it at that. For the purpose of Classic Mode, just make it so only one set of IC's can show up in the 8 player Smash segments of it, assuming it doesn't get changed up enough.
It would sound very dumb to exclude certain characters from certain game modes though.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Probably not. Classic Sonic as a clone. :troll:

Also, let's keep it civil yeah? That's probably just going to get you a warning, and will just prolong the argument.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I don't really think there's much to go on for Pokemon GO unless Melee event route starts showing up again (like battling on top of Pokemon GO's icons.) I can see small not-so-real aspects being pulled from it like icons or a music track.

Speaking of tracks, do you guys think we'll ever get tracks like Link's Theme from Soul Calibur 2 or Fortune Street's mix of Super Mario World's Final Boss battle?

It's possible, but unlikely. I am thinking the likes of Dr. Eggman, Tails, or Knuckles could be candidates for second Sonic characters. I cannot say who's more likely out the three.

Last edited:
Let's move on from Fire Emblem for now.

IMO, no or at least not soon. IMO Tails or Eggamn just aren't quite at a high enough level that I would expect them to really stand out enough to Sakurai.

If anyone, I would expect Eggman for being quite iconic but Tails would certainly be a contender.

INB4 kuncklesboards

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'll answer this question with a question.

But I don't kno really. Given they had to get Sega and Platinum (Kamiya mostly) to get Bayonetta, I can see us getting a second Sonic character as difficult. It was hard enough to get Sonic back as described in one Famitsu article with Sakurai.

It's between the holy trinity for now: Eggman, Knuckles, and Tails. Three Sonic characters who were born in the Genesis era and had been important to the series for years. There's also Shadow though, depending if they want to remove him from the Assist Trophy and take full advantage of his popularity.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I don't really think there's much to go on for Pokemon GO unless Melee event route starts showing up again (like battling on top of Pokemon GO's icons. I can see small not-so-real aspects being pulled from it like icons or a music track.

Speaking of tracks, do you guys think we'll ever get tracks like Link's Theme from Soul Calibur 2 or Fortune Street's mix of Super Mario World's Final Boss battle?
Who knows? That's really dependent on who owns the rights to those tracks. I'd imagine that Link's SC2 theme is owned by Namco. If Fortune Street is first party then it's likely fair game from the get go, but possibly low priority since it's from a pretty niche spin-off. There are plenty of Mario games like the Squeenix sports titles and DDR Mario mix that have yet to get any music.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It would sound very dumb to exclude certain characters from certain game modes though.
Not really. It's not an important game mode, just a random fun thing. It's not the same as removing them from Classic, Smash Run, etc.

If they can't make them work, limiting them or removing them from that mode is the smartest option. There's no reason to remove 8-player Smash. There's no reason to remove IC's either in this case(it made sense since they couldn't be in both versions of Smash 4). If they can't work together? No biggie to make a small exception, honestly.

You have to look at the whole picture. There's exceptions to the basic rule because it's a necessity. If they can work fully in 8 Player Smash? Sweet! But if all 16 Climbers don't, you have to make a realistic decision. Either A) Remove them from one of many modes or B) Lower the amount allowed to 4(which seems like the proper number). It's like how Olimar couldn't have more than 3 Pikmin due to the 3DS limitations. Except in this case, it hurts nothing to make them unavailable for a single mode, that's not even a key mode to play as nor unlocks anything.

Mii Fighters cannot be used "With Anyone" or Smash Tour either. So it's not like Sakurai has issues with putting limitations once in a while. Nor was that a really bad move due to what kind of dumb designs people make for Miis. Overall, this happens for various reasons. IC's missing out possibly one mode is not that big of a deal at this point.

PsychoJosh

PsychoJosh PsychoJosh

The reason you're not getting a lot of respect is because you come off like this but somehow even meaner. It's all in tone.
Whenever I see someone try to make a point about my diction through a tired internet meme I never take them seriously.

I don't care anymore, I'm trying to make my point to the best of my ability. You see, this isn't easy for me to say.. Let me just say this:

I have... or rather, I'm suffering from something that prevents me from being as articulate as I'd like to be, and I keep getting told it's temporary, but I've had it for longer than I'd like now and it's currently hitting me hard. I'm barely able to speak in the way I'd like or even form thoughts the way I used to. So while I'm trying to be patient as possible, I don't really have the ability to care about my tone. So please don't bother me by offering useless critique with crappy memes.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Who knows? That's really dependent on who owns the rights to those tracks. I'd imagine that Link's SC2 theme is owned by Namco. If Fortune Street is first party then it's likely fair game from the get go, but possibly low priority since it's from a pretty niche spin-off. There are plenty of Mario games like the Squeenix sports titles and DDR Mario mix that have yet to get any music.
Fortune Street (or Itadaki Street in Japan) is not Nintendo, but rather Square Enix (I assume it is the Enix half). Nintendo did get Fortune Street on Nintendo platforms and the track I suggested came from the Wii installment that did reach the U.S with Mario and Dragon Quest characters. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Itadaki Street/Fortune Street idea was a Dragon Quest mini-game that became stand-alone.

I agree it's all on who owns the arrangement rights and the song itself. Nintendo does own the rights to Hyrule Overworld theme which Bandai Namco (then Namco at the time) used for Soul Calibur 2 on the Gamecube. Nintendo owns the rights to the final Bowser fight track in Super Mario World, which was used by Square Enix for the Wii release of Fortune Street.

It would be kinda neat to hear those tracks.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I could see it happening - if any third party series is going to get a second character, it seems like it would either be Sonic or Final Fantasy. I'd be concerned that it might be seen as Nintendo prioritizing one third party series over the others, but I had the same concern about third party companies getting more than one character and that didn't impact things.

I'm torn between Tails, Knuckles, or Eggman - sure, Shadow's clearly popular if the assist trophy is any indication, but those three seem to have a lot more to offer as far as moves go.

I'd love to see Eggman in his Egg Mobile, using weapons from his various boss battles (seeing as he's unique among video game villains in that he makes up a massive amount of the boss fights, at least for the 2D games and Sonic Unleashed), but it might be tougher to make him work in Smash.

With Tails and Knuckles, Sonic Battle would work well to expand their moves and differentiate them from Sonic, though I don't know if they'd turn to that game (since it didn't seem to inspire Sonic's moves, from what I recall).

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I've seen this mentioned before, and I agree that it would be the smartest thing to do.

If Nintendo and Sakurai ported Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS to the Switch, but treated it as a new game.

By this I mean Super Smash Bros for Switch would have all the content from both th Wii U and 3DS versions on one game, but over the course of YEARS. YEARSSSSS...they'd continue to add content to the game. New characters, new stages, new music, new Mii costumes, new items, assist trophies, balance patches, and other miscellaneous patches.

Imagine it like this: Super Smash Bros for Switch is revealed to have all the content for both versions. It's in HD. 5 "new" characters available from the start. Ice Climbers, Inkling (to promote Splatoon 2, and give Splatoon a rep.), Spring Man/Ribbon Girl (to promote ARMS.), Decidueye (to promote Sun and Moon, and possibly Stars.), and Alm or Celica (Sakurai loves Fire Emblem, and there's no true limit to franchise representation. Only what each individual perceives.) I personally think Fire Emblem has enough reps, but it's also not my decision.

Sakurai is tired of making Smash Bros games. It's something he has said time and time again. If they treated the game this way it'd be a lot easier to handle. At least that's how I see it. It's taking an already full-fledged game, and adding even more to it. It's not a new game from scratch, but would still be the Super Smash Bros game for Switch.

Over the course of YEARSSSSSSSSSSS...They could add more characters to represent new IPs, new games in existing franchises, Ballot characters that received a high amount of votes, Nintendo's past, or really just whoever Sakurai felt like adding in.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2- Add Main Protag + New stage

If Ever Oasis does well - Add Tethu + New stage

New Metroid - Ridley (I can't see it, but who knows. I know he is highly requested.)

King K. Rool - for all the votes he probably got in the Smash Ballot.

Kirby and Kid Icarus are Sakurai's babies if they got new games on the Switch/3DS I could see Waddle Dee or Galacta Knight and Medusa or Hades.

These are just a few examples I could see coming to light.

If done over the course of YEARSSSS... I could see anywhere between 7-10 characters added, not included the aforementioned 5 available from the beginning.

Overall, I could/would like to see the following:
1. Ice Climbers
2. Inklings
3. Spring Man/ Ribbon Girl (alts)
4. Decidueye
5. Alm or Celica
*6. King K. Rool
*7. Hades or Medusa
*8. Paper Mario
*9. Tethu
*10. Xenoblade 2 Protag
*11. Takamaru (phased out of Assist Trophies, and turned into character.)
*12. Isabelle (due to Japanese popularity, and continued appearances in Animal Crossing. Again, phased out of Assist Trophies.)
*13. Galacta Knight
*14. New IP/ Third Party (TBA)
*15. New IP/ Third Party (TBA)

Though 3rd Party is unlikely, it isn't impossible. Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Bomberman, and if Kingdom Hearts III gets announced for the Switch, are the most likely candidates for representation. Personally, I'd love to Sora, but I know it's like a 0.0001% chance.

So, that's my prediction. A port of an existing game, made to it's own glory on a new system. My prediction is excessive, and full of wishful thinking. I think it fits the mark of a Smash prediction/rumor perfectly.

Let me know what you guys think, and who/what you'd like to see.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Not really. It's not an important game mode, just a random fun thing. It's not the same as removing them from Classic, Smash Run, etc.

If they can't make them work, limiting them or removing them from that mode is the smartest option. There's no reason to remove 8-player Smash. There's no reason to remove IC's either in this case(it made sense since they couldn't be in both versions of Smash 4). If they can't work together? No biggie to make a small exception, honestly.

You have to look at the whole picture. There's exceptions to the basic rule because it's a necessity. If they can work fully in 8 Player Smash? Sweet! But if all 16 Climbers don't, you have to make a realistic decision. Either A) Remove them from one of many modes or B) Lower the amount allowed to 4(which seems like the proper number). It's like how Olimar couldn't have more than 3 Pikmin due to the 3DS limitations. Except in this case, it hurts nothing to make them unavailable for a single mode, that's not even a key mode to play as nor unlocks anything.

Mii Fighters cannot be used "With Anyone" or Smash Tour either. So it's not like Sakurai has issues with putting limitations once in a while. Nor was that a really bad move due to what kind of dumb designs people make for Miis. Overall, this happens for various reasons. IC's missing out possibly one mode is not that big of a deal at this point.
If worse comes to worse, reducing the model quality may need to be considered. Lower quality models do reduce the risk of performance issues after all.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I've seen this mentioned before, and I agree that it would be the smartest thing to do.

If Nintendo and Sakurai ported Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS to the Switch, but treated it as a new game.

By this I mean Super Smash Bros for Switch would have all the content from both th Wii U and 3DS versions on one game, but over the course of YEARS. YEARSSSSS...they'd continue to add content to the game. New characters, new stages, new music, new Mii costumes, new items, assist trophies, balance patches, and other miscellaneous patches.

Imagine it like this: Super Smash Bros for Switch is revealed to have all the content for both versions. It's in HD. 5 "new" characters available from the start. Ice Climbers, Inkling (to promote Splatoon 2, and give Splatoon a rep.), Spring Man/Ribbon Girl (to promote ARMS.), Decidueye (to promote Sun and Moon, and possibly Stars.), and Alm or Celica (Sakurai loves Fire Emblem, and there's no true limit to franchise representation. Only what each individual perceives.) I personally think Fire Emblem has enough reps, but it's also not my decision.

Sakurai is tired of making Smash Bros games. It's something he has said time and time again. If they treated the game this way it'd be a lot easier to handle. At least that's how I see it. It's taking an already full-fledged game, and adding even more to it. It's not a new game from scratch, but would still be the Super Smash Bros game for Switch.

Over the course of YEARSSSSSSSSSSS...They could add more characters to represent new IPs, new games in existing franchises, Ballot characters that received a high amount of votes, Nintendo's past, or really just whoever Sakurai felt like adding in.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2- Add Main Protag + New stage

If Ever Oasis does well - Add Tethu + New stage

New Metroid - Ridley (I can't see it, but who knows. I know he is highly requested.)

King K. Rool - for all the votes he probably got in the Smash Ballot.

Kirby and Kid Icarus are Sakurai's babies if they got new games on the Switch/3DS I could see Waddle Dee or Galacta Knight and Medusa or Hades.

These are just a few examples I could see coming to light.

If done over the course of YEARSSSS... I could see anywhere between 7-10 characters added, not included the aforementioned 5 available from the beginning.

Overall, I could/would like to see the following:
1. Ice Climbers
2. Inklings
3. Spring Man/ Ribbon Girl (alts)
4. Decidueye
5. Alm or Celica
*6. King K. Rool
*7. Hades or Medusa
*8. Paper Mario
*9. Tethu
*10. Xenoblade 2 Protag
*11. Takamaru (phased out of Assist Trophies, and turned into character.)
*12. Isabelle (due to Japanese popularity, and continued appearances in Animal Crossing. Again, phased out of Assist Trophies.)
*13. Galacta Knight
*14. New IP/ Third Party (TBA)
*15. New IP/ Third Party (TBA)

Though 3rd Party is unlikely, it isn't impossible. Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Bomberman, and if Kingdom Hearts III gets announced for the Switch, are the most likely candidates for representation. Personally, I'd love to Sora, but I know it's like a 0.0001% chance.

So, that's my prediction. A port of an existing game, made to it's own glory on a new system. My prediction is excessive, and full of wishful thinking. I think it fits the mark of a Smash prediction/rumor perfectly.

Let me know what you guys think, and who/what you'd like to see.
tl;dr - Ultimate Super Smash Bros. For Switch 3 (cuz it's the third version, and of course Mahvel jokes :troll:)

Smash as a platform would certainly be interesting, though I'm unsure of whether they'd actually go for it. It'd certainly decrease the workload from Smash itself, but with Sakurai being tired of working on the games, would he really be willing to continue to work on the game for years on end on top of whatever projects of his own he's got?

That being said he did say working on DLC was much easier on him and more enjoyable, so perhaps, he'd prefer that to passing the torch or having a huge, stressful workload by making a new title from scratch later down the line.

Overall, it's an interesting idea. I've seen it brought up before a couple of times, but overall it's hard to say whether they'd be willing to go that route.

Also, welcome to Smashboards m8.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If worse comes to worse, reducing the model quality may need to be considered. Lower quality models do reduce the risk of performance issues after all.
They already did that. Keep in mind it didn't do enough to matter for IC's, likely.

My point is if they can't make them work even with stuff like that, letting them not all be used for 8 players(as in 16 Climbers)or cutting them from the mode if it causes issues isn't a big deal in the long run. It's a "if necessary choice" at this point. Hopefully they wouldn't have to, of course.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
tl;dr - Ultimate Super Smash Bros. For Switch 3 (cuz it's the third version, and course Mahvel jokes)

Smash as a platform would certainly be interesting, though I'm unsure of whether they'd actually go for it. It'd certainly decrease the workload from Smash itself, but with Sakurai being tired of working on the games, would he really be willing to continue to work on the game for years on end on top of whatever projects of his own he's got?

That being said he did say working on DLC was much easier on him and more enjoyable, so perhaps, he'd prefer that to passing the torch or having a huge, stressful workload by making a new title from scratch.

Overall, it's an interesting idea. I've seen it brought up before a couple of times, but overall it's hard to say whether they'd be willing to go that route.
It's really hard to say how it'll all go in the end. I think this would be the smartest decision, personally.

Like, you were saying though Sakurai had other projects he probably is already working on, and giving a majority of his attention to. However, to me, that's all the more reason to just do DLC here and there over the years.

I was a little excessive with the amount of content, but I strongly believe the Ice Climbers, Inklings, Spring Man/Ribbon Girl, Decidueye, and Alm or Celica (or both as alts) are highly, highly, HIGHLY likely to make it on to the roster.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I was a little excessive with the amount of content, but I strongly believe the Ice Climbers, Inklings, Spring Man/Ribbon Girl, Decidueye, and Alm or Celica (or both as alts) are highly, highly, HIGHLY likely to make it on to the roster.
I'd be more inclined to agree with you on most of these if I felt the Smash we're probably getting for Switch was a normal iteration, but as it's most likely a Mario Kart 8 type situation? We'll be lucky to get Ice Climbers and Inklings and that's that.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I'd be more inclined to agree with you on most of these if I felt the Smash we're probably getting for Switch was a normal iteration, but as it's most likely a Mario Kart 8 type situation? We'll be lucky to get Ice Climbers and Inklings and that's that.
That's fair. However, I think Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros are in two different calibers. Mario Kart is popular, but Smash is probably Nintendo's most popular franchise after the mainline Super Mario franchise.

Even Mario Kart got 5 new characters. While less has to go into making them, Sakurai loves stuffing his games with as much content as he possibly can. Even to the brink of having the game lag. I feel Ice Climbers and Inklings are shoe-ins, and that the other 3 I listed are very likely. If not right away, not too long after.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The amount of time it takes to make a new Mario Kart character doesn't really equal the same amount of time it takes to make a Smash character I'm sure.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

When the Super Smash Brothers Switch comes out, there is going to be a lot of curiosity.

Can't wait to see the list of characters and the tier list of them, as well as the tournaments. Also how the game compares to other games.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
It's really hard to say how it'll all go in the end. I think this would be the smartest decision, personally.

Like, you were saying though Sakurai had other projects he probably is already working on, and giving a majority of his attention to. However, to me, that's all the more reason to just do DLC here and there over the years.

-Given Splatoon's success, I agree that the Inklings will more than likely make it in.

-The Ice Climbers, as much as I want them to return will really be dependent on whether or not they run into any other issues. While, I'd hope not, it's still a very real possibility.

-Again, provided they take the route you describe, then a Gen 7 Pokemon does seem like a likely candidate, but I wouldn't place all my bets on Decidueye at this point. There's still plenty of competition among Gen 7.

-Spring Man/Ribbon Girl are really dependent on whether or not ARMS turns out to be a success.

-Alm or Celica, who while I'd like to see, probably have the weakest case given that we have a new FE on the horizon for Switch and Sakurai was already hesitant to add Corrin and believes he was pushing it with the FE representation.

While your model is the one I'd like to see if another Smash made from scratch isn't in the cards, I'm in the same camp as Fisher. My expectations are set low, so I expect something similar to MK8 Deluxe. I don't think there'll much if any new content. My bets are on a port that just includes all the DLC, and maybe 1 or 2 additional characters/stages.

Last edited:
That's fair. However, I think Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros are in two different calibers. Mario Kart is popular, but Smash is probably Nintendo's most popular franchise after the mainline Super Mario franchise.
Im pretty sure mario kart is way way more popular than Smash. I know we;re biased towards it, but im pretty sure MK outsells Smash every single time by a wide margin.

I dont pay too much attention to sales so I may very well be wrong, but Im pretty sure im right on this one.

EDIT forgot to quote lol

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
The amount of time it takes to make a new Mario Kart character doesn't really equal the same amount of time it takes to make a Smash character I'm sure.
Oh, definitely. No doubt about that, but I don't think it's impossible to believe we could see more than just two characters, and that's it. While, it's possible that might be all we get I just can't see Nintendo not cashing in on DLC potential for Smash Switch. It's easy money. We'd all buy it. Even if it wasn't a character/stage you are I personally wanted the completionist in me would have to buy it.

2 characters from the start? A given.

2-5 characters from the start? Possible (and in my eyes likely.)

More characters and content added over the course of YEARS through DLC? It'd be a missed opportunity not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom