• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

A little question to the older users, but were they music speculation threads during the pre-Smash 4 era?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
A little question to the older users, but were they music speculation threads during the pre-Smash 4 era?
I think there was one, but it was more of a "what songs would you like to see in Smash 4" kind of thing than it was a support thread for any one particular song.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think there was one, but it was more of a "what songs would you like to see in Smash 4" kind of thing than it was a support thread for any one particular song.
And beyond that we would usually just discuss the characters soundtrack, stages, etc. in the character support threads.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Huh, looks like Support threads have exploded. Didn't take long for speculation to catch on again.

What did I just come into
A world of fantasy and a blast from the past

The land of speculation.

You know I keep seeing Bomberman being thrown around as a name. I wonder if he is going to be the new megaman for this game. But will it be brawl mega man or smash For bomberman
:061:

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

The land of speculation.

You know I keep seeing Bomberman being thrown around as a name. I wonder if he is going to be the new megaman for this game. But will it be brawl mega man or smash For bomberman
Brawl. I feel like there's just not gona be someone with a massive 3rd party pull in the wake of getting :4megaman: and momma flipping :4cloud: in one game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Shadow is the most likely out of those. He didn't become the sole AT for no reason, after all.

Smash 5 here we come.

To play devil's advocate, why do you suppose he wasn't made a Mii costume to capitalize off this popularity when Tails and Knuckles were? Especially since with the AT, there were already assets. And if he's the next most popular, it stands to reason he would've been the best selling.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I still kind of wonder how things would play out if the following duo were to make the playable cut...

I totally missed the comment about Shadow being likely because he is an AT

While I do think he is in competition, that is part of a pattern. All 3rd party ATs are villains

That MGS character? Villain
Sonic's AT? Villainous (a rival at worst)
Elec man? Villain
Pac Man ghosts? Villain

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Smash 5 here we come.

To play devil's advocate, why do you suppose he wasn't made a Mii costume to capitalize off this popularity when Tails and Knuckles were? Especially since with the AT, there were already assets. And if he's the next most popular, it stands to reason he would've been the best selling.
Sorry, missaid that. The sole Sonic series AT.

And my guess is because Shadow already is an AT. He also isn't currently playable among a lot of games lately, so having him playable as a Mii was not on their mind when the more active characters made sense. He was the most popularity, hence the AT status. While his popularity is still second to Sonic, he has an active role in the game. It's also probable that since Sonic Team is no longer pushing Shadow as a character, they didn't choose him as a Mii costume. To say the least, if more were done, he'd be an easy choice. One other point to consider is that unlike Knuckles and Tails, who have fairly obvious types of Mii Fighters to go off of, Shadow is not like any of them. He's more like a magical brawler than anything else, using a ton of Chaos moves, etc. Tails and Knuckles fit the class well since they have moves related to the actual specials and such. So it's quite possible they just wanted one per class, and Shadow didn't fold either mold. The only class left was Swordfighter, and Shadow does not fit into that at all. Especially since Sega refused to really acknowledge his game much at all in Smash(I think at best it might've gotten a sticker or two?). Sonic Battle, Heroes, even 06, got more love. In fact, Tails' Mii costume is based quite a bit on his abilities in Battle, where he uses a technological gun. Not much to explain with Knuckles since all he does is punch and glide. Brawler fits well enough.

Even though Shadow still is the most popular according to polls, it doesn't mean Sega is interested in pushing him. His last major appearance is a really bad one in the Boom games(the first two, I don't know if he's in Fire and Ice), he got a cameo at best in Generations. My guess is they don't feel there's much they can do with him. They already finished his major arc with his own game, and 06 was written out of continuity essentially. So anything else were more cameos or fun side games(like the Sonic Storybook games). Popularity doesn't necessarily mean they'll use the character.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This may just be an aesthetic input, but I think the following characters should really start having the voice clips that they use in their own games...

Donkey Kong: Takashi Nagasako
Diddy Kong: Katsumi Suzuki
Bowser: Kenny James

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

The land of speculation.

Bomberman had quite a bit of his own popularity around Brawl. Unless I'm forgetting someone he was probably fourth for third-parties, behind Sonic, Geno, and Mega Man.

I doubt he can match Mega Man's demand for Smash 4 though. He was pretty much at the top of the pile, and I just don't see Bomberman getting there.

I still kind of wonder how things would play out if the following duo were to make the playable cut...

They'd certainly fit well but every time I'd play as them I'd just end up sighing and wishing it was the bear + bird instead. :/

Sorry, missaid that. The sole Sonic series AT.
Right, but that principle isn't exclusive to the Sonic series. At least, it shouldn't be. Because then it's an inconsistent doctrine, and therefore... not really a doctrine at all. It's not like your logic of "AT chosen = most likely next character" wouldn't extend to other series as well. I'm not saying Mega Man is as likely, or likely at all to get more characters, but should it hypothetically happen, I very much doubt they'd go with Elec Man. Which pokes some holes in that claim.

And my guess is because Shadow already is an AT.
So was Ashley... and Isabelle... and Takamaru...

Again if anything, having prior assets would've only eased and expedited the process of turning Shadow into a costume.

He also isn't currently playable among a lot of games lately, so having him playable as a Mii was not on their mind when the more active characters made sense. He was the most popularity, hence the AT status. While his popularity is still second to Sonic, he has an active role in the game. It's also probable that since Sonic Team is no longer pushing Shadow as a character, they didn't choose him as a Mii costume. To say the least, if more were done, he'd be an easy choice.
There is some line in the sand you've created where this apparently applies to being an AT or a costume, but not a character. Any of these points could just as easily apply to all three or neither, since speaking for those in charge is mostly all conjecture.

If Sonic Team isn't pushing Shadow, that extends to playability as well, at least by this logic. If they're pushing Tails and Knuckles, one of those will be the character to get in, by this logic. Especially since those two also aren't hurting for popularity. Going by this paradigm, the agenda of promotion doesn't real change with scale of that promotion. You want your promoted characters to get the most spotlight, however they can. And maybe Shadow is the most popular Sonic character, barring Sonic. I'm not sure, though let's work under that impression. But Elec Man surely isn't the second most popular Mega Man character. So that notion doesn't really hold a ton of water.

One other point to consider is that unlike Knuckles and Tails, who have fairly obvious types of Mii Fighters to go off of, Shadow is not like any of them.
I'm pretty sure Shadow uses guns more readily than Tails. Also if characters like K.K. Slider and Toad can be made into fist fighters, it's not like Shadow would be some massive stretch.

He's more like a magical brawler than anything else, using a ton of Chaos moves, etc.
There are a lot of characters that stray from their actual potential when being made into Mii costumes, but that's the point... they're just costumes. Ashley and Viridi are mages made into swordfighters simply because they hold a lengthy weapon.

Tails and Knuckles fit the class well since they have moves related to the actual specials and such. So it's quite possible they just wanted one per class, and Shadow didn't fold either mold. The only class left was Swordfighter, and Shadow does not fit into that at all. Especially since Sega refused to really acknowledge his game much at all in Smash(I think at best it might've gotten a sticker or two?). Sonic Battle, Heroes, even 06, got more love. In fact, Tails' Mii costume is based quite a bit on his abilities in Battle, where he uses a technological gun. Not much to explain with Knuckles since all he does is punch and glide. Brawler fits well enough.
And Shadow uses guns in his own game, does he not? He needn't be a swordfighter simply because that's the one untouched class in the Sonic series. The Mega Man series has three gunners and one swordfighter, because that's what fits.

Even though Shadow still is the most popular according to polls, it doesn't mean Sega is interested in pushing him. His last major appearance is a really bad one in the Boom games(the first two, I don't know if he's in Fire and Ice), he got a cameo at best in Generations. My guess is they don't feel there's much they can do with him. They already finished his major arc with his own game, and 06 was written out of continuity essentially. So anything else were more cameos or fun side games(like the Sonic Storybook games). Popularity doesn't necessarily mean they'll use the character.
Ok... well then that would also apply to being playable. There's a lot of selective reasoning at play.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Right, but that principle isn't exclusive to the Sonic series. At least, it shouldn't be. Because then it's an inconsistent doctrine, and therefore... not really a doctrine at all. It's not like your logic of "AT chosen = most likely next character" wouldn't extend to other series as well. I'm not saying Mega Man is as likely, or likely at all to get more characters, but should it hypothetically happen, I very much doubt they'd go with Elec Man. Which pokes some holes in that claim.
That's cause you're missing what I meant. His extreme popularity led him to being an AT. That's all I'm saying.

Again if anything, having prior assets would've only eased and expedited the process of turning Shadow into a costume.
That's why I brought up possibile reasons why he isn't a costume. A good point was "how their character was by design". Remember, he's the only Sonic AT in 4 as well, but this isn't a really obvious reason. Nobody knows why we didn't get some other Sonic AT's. Kind of silly. As I said before, his popularity led to his first AT status. However, his usage by Sega dropped between Brawl and 4, so it makes sense he isn't being pushed as much.

There is some line in the sand you've created where this apparently applies to being an AT or a costume, but not a character. Any of these points could just as easily apply to all three or neither, since speaking for those in charge is mostly all conjecture.
Of course they could. But whatever Sonic Team wanted, they clearly got. We don't know why they did what they did. They have a lot of control of who becomes costumes, AT's, the music, etc. Sakurai doesn't have much control here.

If Sonic Team isn't pushing Shadow, that extends to playability as well, at least by this logic. If they're pushing Tails and Knuckles, one of those will be the character to get in, by this logic. Especially since those two also aren't hurting for popularity. Going by this paradigm, the agenda of promotion doesn't real change with scale of that promotion. You want your promoted characters to get the most spotlight, however they can. And maybe Shadow is the most popular Sonic character, barring Sonic. I'm not sure, though let's work under that impression. But Elec Man surely isn't the second most popular Mega Man character. So that notion doesn't really hold a ton of water.
Capcom =/= Sega. You can't compare them in thought. They're very different in how they make games. That said, I agree, Sega itself wouldn't push Shadow as the next best choice. Sakurai, on the other hand, may want the most popular option(and Shadow is pretty iconic too), which is actually more of what I meant. I really should've specified that I'm referring to what I think Sakurai would choose. That's entirely my fault and I apologize for the lack of clarity. Hopefully that clears up a lot more. Generally, Sakurai chooses what 3rd party characters to go for, the real exception being Snake and Pac-Man. Both were suggested by someone else. He personally chose the others, for one reason or another(technically Bayo was chosen by the fans, but Sakurai chose her among the various topping choices regardless). I'm basing this entirely on "Who does Sakurai see as the best choice here". Of course, I could be entirely wrong and he doesn't think Shadow would be the best. But hey, this is just a prediction, after all.

I'm pretty sure Shadow uses guns more readily than Tails. Also if characters like K.K. Slider and Toad can be made into fist fighters, it's not like Shadow would be some massive stretch.
A couple of differences here; Tails uses guns and weapons in Battle and Tails' Adventure. These were recieved well. Shadow's game was not, and his most known weapons are all realistic weapons. That makes him a less plausible choice since Sakurai wouldn't allow realistic guns. It's Shadow Rifle, Samurai Sword, or nothing. Neither of these two are pretty much Shadow's iconic weapon, which is actually that little gun he has in his intro. I don't remember rexaclty what the name of the gun was, though. AK-47? Tails however doesn't fall under the "realistic weapons" bit, and he is known for using guns with laser/electric attacks, either as a literal gun or a mech with a gun. These actually fit the series etter. Even Bayo's guns aren't that realistic, being magical bullets. This means that Shadow would have to fit the Brawler mold. Meaning that they would have to animate a lot of unique Chaos attacks over the various moves. But did they want more than one Brawler or Gunner for the Sonic series? Apparently not.

There are a lot of characters that stray from their actual potential when being made into Mii costumes, but that's the point... they're just costumes. Ashley and Viridi are mages made into swordfighters simply because they hold a lengthy weapon.
Ashley isn't seen fighting, so it isn't as bad. Viridi does feel like that was a shoehorned-in way to get her as a costume. I don't agree with how they did it. However, they're not 3rd party characters, so there's more at play with how Sonic Team cares about their character being repped.

And Shadow uses guns in his own game, does he not? He needn't be a swordfighter simply because that's the one untouched class in the Sonic series. The Mega Man series has three gunners and one swordfighter, because that's what fits.
As I explained above, realistic guns. He uses swords in his own game too. However, this is Sonic Team. Like I said a moment ago, they clearly care about how Shadow is being portrayed. They clearly don't like his game, as they can't even give a single music of it(which is easy to do, and the music is very popular).

Ok... well then that would also apply to being playable. There's a lot of selective reasoning at play.
My logic isn't perfectly sound, but to be fair, you could apply that to 3rd party companies. SE wouldn't even give up more than 2 songs at all. Jeez. At least not for a reasonable price. Every company has biases, respectively.

Think of it like this; Does Sakurai want him playable? Let's say yes. Would Sonic Team say yes? Hard to say, being they won't push him anymore. Probably no. If Sakurai doesn't want any other choice, that means Sonic Team doesn't magically get another character. Sakurai and them have to work together. The key point is that it's very complicated how 3rd party charcters get chosen. We know that Sakurai generally chooses them, but only if the 3rd party company says yes. Also, it's unknown if Sakurai wanted the Shadow AT or if Sonic Team did first.

I do agree with some points, don't get me wrong, but things aren't that simple during development. Every single costume has to be agreed upon by both Sakurai and the owners of the characters. In most cases, namely not 3rd parties, Sakurai is often given free reign. But he doesn't get that very often by 3rd parties. They're picky. Very picky. If you want an example of Sonic Team being picky, they barely would allow any fairly unique costumes for Sonic. Brawl suffered with having him nearly all the same shading and at best slightly different shading, but no pure color changes. His wristbands were allowed to be changed. 4 was let up slightly by allowing a silver coloring. But otherwise, you didn't see him outside of a variant of blue at best(also, the silver coloring was still blue-ish last I checked).

Summary: 3rd parties are picky and Sakurai has to abide by that factor, making anything we see much harder to predict. And yes, due to this, I do agree that Shadow's chance of being playable isn't all that high(but I would say that to just about any Sonic character besides himself at this point, purely imo).

D

Deleted member

Smash 5 here we come.

Your post made me remember :4ryu:, :4cloud: and :4bayonetta: came without being accompanied by other characters from their games as Assists like :4sonic:, :4megaman: and :4pacman:.

For the new Smash game I'd see them like this:

:4ryu: = Chun-Li
:4cloud: = Black Mage
:4bayonetta: = Masked Lumen Sage

I have no idea on what they could do in action though, you can still share yours on the dedicated topic. :p

Funbot28

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlwaysDOMINATE
Ok so what are the chanced of ICs coming to switch port now with all info we know? From what I heard, there should be no reason that they should not be added due to Sakurai originally intended for them to be in the game. Does * player smash still cause issues even for Switch hardware.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ok so what are the chanced of ICs coming to switch port now with all info we know? From what I heard, there should be no reason that they should not be added due to Sakurai originally intended for them to be in the game. Does * player smash still cause issues even for Switch hardware.
You typo'd there. Nice astrick. XD

We cannot say. Honestly, if they're in, and if they don't work... he could just not let them be selectable for one particular mode. Or limit the number of IC's to avoid any issues. The Switch is definitely more powerful, so it'd most likely work.

To say the least, he'd probably let us outright know what can and can't be done in this case, since he prefers giving us that kind of information.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
8 player multiplayer was a big part of Switch's advertising, so they will bring that back, obviously. Depends on whether ICs work in that mode.

That said, the Switch is more powerful than the Wii U, so it might be able to handle them just fine. So there's indeed hope.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
So, is speculation going well?
If yep, then I swear, everyone was waiting for a Smash Switch port just to support their character for a third time.
And honestly, I don't know how to feel about it. Except I feel like I am going to be dissapointed if I have too much hope. So I am just going to be pessimist as always!...
Please, give me back Snake please. :C

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Hey all. :) I was going to share a list of characters I'd love to see, but they're just so ridiculously unlikely (aside from perhaps becoming assist trophies or collectible trophies), there probably isn't much point... I voted for Muddy Mole on the ballot, so yeah, the others on my wishlist are just as off-the-wall.

But among some of the more popular and possible (?) choices, I would love to see Isaac, Elma, Bandana Dee, and/or Dixie Kong.

The mystery surrounding the fourth Amiibo has me glued to Nintendo news updates... Keeping my expectations in check, but I still can't wait to find out what it ends up being!

Last edited:
Hey all. :) I was going to share a list of characters I'd love to see, but they're just so ridiculously unlikely (aside from perhaps becoming assist trophies or collectible trophies), there probably isn't much point...
Bruh my most wanted are Viridi Ridley and Edea Lee, and it only gets more unlikely from there

Feel free to scream from the rooftops what you want. I'm sure someone will hear you and agree :)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wonder when we will be seeing support sigs again (if we are allowed to make them again, that is). When the next game's title is revealed?

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Bruh my most wanted are Viridi Ridley and Edea Lee, and it only gets more unlikely from there

Feel free to scream from the rooftops what you want. I'm sure someone will hear you and agree :)
None get more obscure than some of the ones I have learned about and adopted.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Wow, this already got more pages than I thought. Not gonna go through all of them, so sorry if this was already kinda said, but assuming there still won't be a 3DS successor anytime soon (I get that it was considered, but the Switch, heh, handles the handheld department just fine), then probably one of the best things about Smash Switch (whether it be a new game or port, though see it having plenty reused assets either way) for me is that it'll feel more like a complete game/package, which the two versions of SSB4 took away from to an extent like with the stages. The 3DS version had some of the better stages imo but not getting to play them on the more powerful system/console was always kinda frustrating.

So, is speculation going well?
If yep, then I swear, everyone was waiting for a Smash Switch port just to support their character for a third time.
And honestly, I don't know how to feel about it. Except I feel like I am going to be dissapointed if I have too much hope. So I am just going to be pessimist as always!...
Please, give me back Snake please. :C
Pulling for Snake? You really are as much a masochist as that Darkness in your avi. :awesome: One of my Brawl mains who will never return so long as Konami keeps being Konami. .cry

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I'm still not convinced that Smash 6 will be a port.

I speculate that it'll be a new game re-using Smash WiiU's engine, assets, etc.

Don't know if I said it here already... I forget...

Wow, this already got more pages than I thought. Not gonna go through all of them, so sorry if this was already kinda said, but assuming there still won't be a 3DS successor anytime soon (I get that it was considered, but the Switch, heh, handles the handheld department just fine), then probably one of the best things about Smash Switch (whether it be a new game or port, though see it having plenty reused assets either way) for me is that it'll feel more like a complete game/package, which the two versions of SSB4 took away from to an extent like with the stages. The 3DS version had some of the better stages imo but not getting to play them on the more powerful system/console was always kinda frustrating.

Pulling for Snake? You really are as much a masochist as that Darkness in your avi. :awesome: One of my Brawl mains who will never return so long as Konami keeps being Konami. .cry
Two more people on Smashboards that watch Konosuba? Nice.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'm still not convinced that Smash 6 will be a port.

I speculate that it'll be a new game re-using Smash WiiU's engine, assets, etc.

Don't know if I said it here already... I forget...

Two more people on Smashboards that watch Konosuba? Nice.
And Dragon Maid far as recent anime which I kinda established with Fal Koopa... That would be the first slice of life kind that'd actually catch interest instead of boring me.

------
If Nier Automata ever makes its way to the Switch (solid game btw), I could kinda see 2B being the next Bayonetta. Would entertain a support thread for her, but believe they can only be made for those that have been on a Nintendo console at this time, so...

edit: Grammar fix

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Back in this thing I guess.

Predictions:
- Smash for Switch is based on the Wii U version with 3DS content and some new things to make it the "definitive" version, like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Super Smash Bros. for the Switch would be the name ofc

- 2017 release is possible but it could also be early 2018 if there's enough new content and Nintendo is confident enough in their 2017 lineup already

- 3-5 new characters max. Inklings and Ice Climbers p. much guaranteed unless some BS happens. Wolf, Sun/Moon Pokemon, Paper Mario, Captain Toad, Rhythm Heaven rep, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, King K. Rool, Snake, Dragon Quest rep, Elma, a new Zelda rep, Alph, and Wonder Red are just some of "who I think could get in", but I wouldn't bank on any of them completely

- Breath of the Wild and Pokemon Sun/Moon will get stages along with any new series. Tons of 3DS stages

- Smash Run will probably be revamped and added to this version, but otherwise I don't see much happening to the current modes. Maybe they'll add the (much superior) 3DS Classic Mode

- I see some Sun/Moon Pokemon summons getting added, esp. if there's no new character. For AT's, the third parties who lack ATs will finally get them

- Miis will probably get a lot of "murdered fan favorite" consoles. In particular, I expect BOTW Link and more FE characters for Sword, ARMS Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, and Wonder Red for Brawler, and Chibi Robo for Gunner.

- The 4th amiibo is female Corrin.

- they should add everyone in my signature :p

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman

Haha, okay, I'll give it a shot! I could go on about this kind of stuff forever, so I'm going to limit my suggestions to 10 characters, but this will probably still turn into a book (I apologize ahead of time).

Muddy Mole: So yeah, I already mentioned him, but Mole Mania was a great little Game Boy gem from Miyamoto. Unfortunately, it's also one of his least known creations, no thanks to the dull title and bad pun on the US box art that made it seem like Nintendo was pleading with consumers to give the game a shot, but simultaneously didn't expect them to:
Muddy is the cool dad we don't have in Smash, and I feel like Sakurai and the team could come up with something really special for his moveset. He had a surprising amount of personality that the team could have fun working into his animations. Obviously, fighting underground would be out of the question, but it'd be cool if he had two different states with their own strengths/weaknesses (kind of like switching between styles with Gen in Street Fighter, in a way), one being completely overground, and the other being half-way in the ground. I haven't thought about all of this in too much detail since it is unlikely to happen, but I just think there's potential there for a unique fighter unlike any others we currently have. I've always liked the addition of oddball characters like ROB, Mr. G&W, WFT, and so on; Muddy would most certainly be one of those oddballs, that's for sure.

The prince of Sablé:
Honestly didn't know much about this little guy until his assist trophy came into existence. I recently had the chance to play through Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The prince isn't your typical hero as he often openly uses his vast wealth to buy his way through challenges, and he's quite the underdog in comparison to his rival. I love his character design (the team did a great job bringing him into the world of 3D, by the way), and he could be interesting as a fighter when taking his snake and frog transformations into account.

Jill (Drill Dozer): Drill Dozer was such a blast. Jill was a character I REALLY wanted back when Brawl was in development; was disappointed when she showed up only to be an assist trophy, but it's even more disappointing that she's been removed entirely (along with Isaac). Her game didn't end up being very known, it seems, so there's already a lot going against her, but now with Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings getting into the playable roster, there's even less of a reason to put her in. I'm not saying Jill's moveset couldn't be vastly different, but Bowser Jr. is just a whole lot more relevant and already covers the small character riding in a machine territory. LOL

Bub & Bob: A couple of beloved Taito characters from my childhood; they're cute, could either work solo or as another IC-esque dual fighter, and have a unique mechanic to incorporate throughout their moveset.

Slippy Toad: I know several have already mentioned that a focus on gadgets could make Slippy an interesting addition, and I agree, but what entices me the most is how funny he could be. Imagine him yelling "NOooOoOooo!" in typical Slippy fashion as he gets star KO'd, perhaps displaying a certain klutziness in his animations, and shouting "Your carcass is mine!" after winning a match... Okay, that sounds kind of annoying actually, but I still want it to happen. The reason I don't feel Slippy will ever get in is because Krystal is more popular as a wanted newcomer by far, and the possible return of Wolf makes it even less likely the team would take up another slot for Star Fox, a seemingly dwindling franchise... Ugh.

Marill:
It's just a Pokemon I love, no other reason. LOL Would never happen.

Marina Liteyears: Treasure just isn't a big enough third party to warrant this addition at all, but one of my favourite games from them is Mischief Makers. Could be interesting having a character whose moveset has a focus on grappling to a greater degree than any of the current roster. Imagine stringing together grounded throws with mid-air command grabs or something crazy...

Alex (Golden Sun): Now, obviously, if we get anyone from Golden Sun, it'll be Isaac, and I'd be perfectly happy with that. However, if we had the extraordinary fortune/opportunity to receive two characters from the franchise, Alex would be the second character I'd want to see. I always found him to be one of the more interesting and intelligent villains in the series; we don't have many of those in Smash (especially with Wolf gone). The thought of more water mechanics in Smash might not be very appealing to some, but he's a cool character, so it'd be worth it, okay?! xP

Qbby: BoxBoy! has a nice following now, and I'd love to see how the puzzle elements of the character could get some use in Smash, though I have no idea how that would work. I also believe this would be a more interesting addition than a Tetris block (sorry to those of you who want a Tetris rep).

Mary O. (Super Mario Maker): I just think her inclusion would be a total riot. She could maybe be paired with Yamamura the rock dove, since they seem to be coupled together quite a bit. Undo Dog is another possibility for a dual-character partner, but I believe Yamamura is more popular? I don't know, even without a partner, she could bring some laughs in a similar way to Wii Fit Trainer, and she's probably the least Mario-like Mario universe addition that they could possibly consider for the roster.

So yeah, there we have it, ten out of some of the characters that would make me go wild, but never will. LOL On a final note, Animal Crossing being my favourite Nintendo series, I'd be happy seeing anyone else from the games get in, but that's another story for a different time.

Last edited:
Wow, this already got more pages than I thought.
That uhh that actually has to do with this originally being a nintendo thread.

This thread really only starts in this section until like page 18 haha

Back in this thing I guess.

Predictions:
- Smash for Switch is based on the Wii U version with 3DS content and some new things to make it the "definitive" version, like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Super Smash Bros. for the Switch would be the name ofc

- 2017 release is possible but it could also be early 2018 if there's enough new content and Nintendo is confident enough in their 2017 lineup already

- 3-5 new characters max. Inklings and Ice Climbers p. much guaranteed unless some BS happens. Wolf, Sun/Moon Pokemon, Paper Mario, Captain Toad, Rhythm Heaven rep, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, King K. Rool, Snake, Dragon Quest rep, Elma, a new Zelda rep, Alph, and Wonder Red are just some of "who I think could get in", but I wouldn't bank on any of them completely

- Breath of the Wild and Pokemon Sun/Moon will get stages along with any new series. Tons of 3DS stages

- Smash Run will probably be revamped and added to this version, but otherwise I don't see much happening to the current modes. Maybe they'll add the (much superior) 3DS Classic Mode

- I see some Sun/Moon Pokemon summons getting added, esp. if there's no new character. For AT's, the third parties who lack ATs will finally get them

- Miis will probably get a lot of "murdered fan favorite" consoles. In particular, I expect BOTW Link and more FE characters for Sword, ARMS Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, and Wonder Red for Brawler, and Chibi Robo for Gunner.

- The 4th amiibo is female Corrin.

- they should add everyone in my signature :p
This is pretty much my prediction pretty far.

Change Ice climbers for Decidueye and get rid of Wonder Red (still sad) and that last line and it's pretty much exact same.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Haha, okay, I'll give it a shot! I could go on about this kind of stuff forever, so I'm going to limit my suggestions to 10 characters, but this will probably still turn into a book (I apologize ahead of time).

Muddy Mole: So yeah, I already mentioned him, but Mole Mania was a great little Game Boy gem from Miyamoto. Unfortunately, it's also one of his least known creations, no thanks to the dull title and bad pun on the US box art that made it seem like Nintendo was pleading with consumers to give the game a shot, but simultaneously didn't expect them to:
Muddy is the cool dad we don't have in Smash, and I feel like Sakurai and the team could come up with something really special for his moveset. He had a surprising amount of personality that the team could have fun working into his animations. Obviously, fighting underground would be out of the question, but it'd be cool if he had two different states with their own strengths/weaknesses (kind of like switching between styles with Gen in Street Fighter, in a way), one being completely overground, and the other being half-way in the ground. I haven't thought about all of this in too much detail since it is unlikely to happen, but I just think there's potential there for a unique fighter unlike any others we currently have. I've always liked the addition of oddball characters like ROB, Mr. G&W, WFT, and so on; Muddy would most certainly be one of those oddballs, that's for sure.

The prince of Sablé:
Honestly didn't know much about this little guy until his assist trophy came into existence. I recently had the chance to play through Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The prince isn't your typical hero as he often openly uses his vast wealth to buy his way through challenges, and he's quite the underdog in comparison to his rival. I love his character design (the team did a great job bringing him into the world of 3D, by the way), and he could be interesting as a fighter when taking his snake and frog transformations into account.

Jill (Drill Dozer): Drill Dozer was such a blast. Jill was a character I REALLY wanted back when Brawl was in development; was disappointed when she showed up only to be an assist trophy, but it's even more disappointing that she's been removed entirely (along with Isaac). Her game didn't end up being very known, it seems, so there's already a lot going against her, but now with Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings getting into the playable roster, there's even less of a reason to put her in. I'm not saying Jill's moveset couldn't be vastly different, but Bowser Jr. is just a whole lot more relevant and already covers the small character riding in a machine territory. LOL

Bub & Bob: A couple of beloved Taito characters from my childhood; they're cute, could either work solo or as another IC-esque dual fighter, and have a unique mechanic to incorporate throughout their moveset.

Slippy Toad: I know several have already mentioned that a focus on gadgets could make Slippy an interesting addition, and I agree, but what entices me the most is how funny he could be. Imagine him yelling "NOooOoOooo!" in typical Slippy fashion as he gets star KO'd, perhaps displaying a certain klutziness in his animations, and shouting "Your carcass is mine!" after winning a match... Okay, that sounds kind of annoying actually, but I still want it to happen. The reason I don't feel Slippy will ever get in is because Krystal is more popular as a wanted newcomer by far, and the possible return of Wolf makes it even less likely the team would take up another slot for Star Fox, a seemingly dwindling franchise... Ugh.

Marill:
It's just a Pokemon I love, no other reason. LOL Would never happen.

Marina Liteyears: Treasure just isn't a big enough third party to warrant this addition at all, but one of my favourite games from them is Mischief Makers. Could be interesting having a character whose moveset has a focus on grappling to a greater degree than any of the current roster. Imagine stringing together grounded throws with mid-air command grabs or something crazy...

Alex (Golden Sun): Now, obviously, if we get anyone from Golden Sun, it'll be Isaac, and I'd be perfectly happy with that. However, if we had the extraordinary fortune/opportunity to receive two characters from the franchise, Alex would be the second character I'd want to see. I always found him to be one of the more interesting and intelligent villains in the series; we don't have many of those in Smash (especially with Wolf gone). The thought of more water mechanics in Smash might not be very appealing to some, but he's a cool character, so it'd be worth it, okay?! xP

Qbby: BoxBoy! has a nice following now, and I'd love to see how the puzzle elements of the character could get some use in Smash, though I have no idea how that would work. I also believe this would be a more interesting addition than a Tetris block (sorry to those of you who want a Tetris rep).

Mary O. (Super Mario Maker): I just think her inclusion would be a total riot. She could maybe be paired with Yamamura the rock dove, since they seem to be coupled together quite a bit. Undo Dog is another possibility for a dual-character partner, but I believe Yamamura is more popular? I don't know, even without a partner, she could bring some laughs in a similar way to Wii Fit Trainer, and she's probably the least Mario-like Mario universe addition that they could possibly consider for the roster.

So yeah, there we have it, ten out of some of the characters that would make me go wild, but never will. LOL On a final note, Animal Crossing being my favourite Nintendo series, I'd be happy seeing anyone else from the games get in, but that's another story for a different time.
Great to see another Muddy fan. :D

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
It makes me so happy that both Bandana Dee and Bomberman are considered decently likely.

I know that probably means nothing because Sakurai does whatever he wants, but still, feels good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom