• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'd put it at 5-10%.

Do you realise how tiny 0.01% is? :p It's 1 in 10,000.
It was a joke though I don't doubt his chances are that far off. :smirk:

And it sucks because I would love for him to be in the game.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Meanwhile, there's Geno.

Who already have to compete with a crap ton of other requested Square characters (other than his Mario peers despite being a third party) and his only game is long irrelevant.

Poor Pinocchio.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I see Waluigi in Smash's future.

There is so much potential. Not as a sports game representative, but as a character. Just like Sakurai ditched Wario's known moves and concentrated on the fat man's gross demeanor, the director of a future Smash can focus on the lanky creep that is Waluigi.

Almost all his moves have to reflect his creepy, world-loathing, self-pitying, attention craving personality. He doesn't have to be naked underneath a purple raincoat for spontaneous flashing, but he has to come with that attitude.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Meanwhile, there's Geno.

Who already have to compete with a crap ton of other requested Square characters (other than his Mario peers despite being a third party) and his only game is long irrelevant.

Poor Pinocchio.
Geno supporter here, even I don't think he's really that likely at all.

Sure there's the costume and Sakurai's interest in him, but that's it. His days of fame had long past IMO.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
IMO Waluigi has a chance, but a slim one.

It pretty much comes down to Sakurai getting some wild idea out of nowhere, and seeing other characters like Toad or Paper Mario as uninteresting or unimportant or sometbing to that effect.
That's my stance for now, more or less. It's more likely they'd look at the other prominent Mario-verse characters, and even other characters in general, before they'd alter someone who is currently an AT for just one version of Smash 4. It happened with Charizard and Little Mac in entirely new Smash games, not one version of an existing game or even as optional content like DLC. That's something we need to take into account--I've seen too many people wave it off.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Toad makes the most sense to me as the next Mario rep. in a Smash title.

B Flailing Tantrum: Waluigi becomes a hit-box of flailing limbs as he screams an angry cacophony of "Waaaa's" at the world. He moves slightly slower but can still jump and his long whip-lashing limbs do damage without hit-stun or knockback. It can apply enomorous pressure on shields.

Almost worth it just to see Kirby copy the move.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Geno supporter here, even I don't think he's really that likely at all.

Sure there's the costume and Sakurai's interest in him, but that's it. His days of fame had long past IMO.
And even then, Sakurai seemed content with the Mii costume, calling it a "perfect fit".

Troykv

Smash Master
Depends on how creative IntSys wants to be.

I'd wager that an Axe lord or a Mage lord are quite possible for the next Fire Emblem game. Going backwards the lords we've gotten are Corrin, Lucina, Chrom, Robin, Micaiah, Ike, Ephraim and Eirika.

The Marth archetypes - A swordsman from a noble house - are a minority. Which tells me that IntSys is fine with branching out, and now that FE is big again, they are more likely to do something non-traditional too.
I want IS try more original things with their main characters... and if that isn't the case, I hope we don't get a new playable character from these future games in Smash.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Corrin needs a new move for the Down B.

The counter is simply better than other counters in many ways which destroys design space concerning counter moves.

Corrin can have a few things alleviating his/her close combat weakenes like his/her smashes having a very close range and long range hitting property, but the counter is too much.

Also, Corrin has many unique properties in an FE character. The counter dampens that perception for me.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
OK, sorry, but saying Waluigi has a lot of potential and also saying one of his attacks should be him moving his limbs and saying WAH is just ridiculous.

Waluigi is a character that is popular and wanted for Smash almost 100% thanks to memes and because "he would complete the quartet of plumbers" (Seriously, if you think the Grass Pokemon thing is stupid, this is 10 times worse).
He doesn't really offer nothing new except for being funny.
Not even saying WAH is unique because Wario also does that, lol.

Waluigi, Daisy and the other spin off fodder characters like Toadette and Birdo should not come to Smash before characters that are actually important and have potential like Paper Mario, Captain Toad or even others like King Boo, who is tha main antagonist of Luigi's Mansion.

But yeah, I think he has a chance only thanks to his popularity.

D

Deleted member

.......I suggest you run, Chandelure.

You've royally pissed off the wrong Waluigi fan with your flat-out incorrect statements and hypocrisy.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Waluigi is a character that is popular and wanted for Smash almost 100% thanks to memes and because "he would complete the quartet of plumbers"
Bruh, this is just flat out false.

It's like saying people want Bandana Dee only to fulfill the Kirby Main 4.

It's just stupid.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So, what's everyone's feelings on the possibility of getting a Smash 4 port now?

Like, I was big on the idea a year ago, thinking it'd be great to round out the launch, but that's passed and honestly if we get Smash 4 Switch in like November this year with only a couple more characters, and combined stage list; (and that seems like one of the better scenarios) I honestly don't see the point of it anymore.

Really hoping for them to put their efforts towards a new one right now. Average Smash development time seems to be around 2 years, so we wouldn't be too far off if the development started when the rumors started swirling around.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
At this point in the Mario series what does series importance really matter when you've got popular characters who show up all the time? Hasn't Sakurai considered adding Geno before? And that guy is even less important than Waluigi, having shown up all of twice, only once with any consequence, in a 20+ year old spin-off.

Who cares if Waluigi's significance exists only in spin-offs, Smash isn't beholden to rules like that.

Also, the list of characters who don't have anything unique to offer Smash in terms of a moveset is very short, with Waluigi not being on it. It's really shocking how often that claim gets thrown around regarding characters. Like, do you guys have no creativity? Moreover, do you have no faith in Sakurai's ability to cull a moveset?

So, what's everyone's feelings on the possibility of getting a Smash 4 port now?

Like, I was big on the idea a year ago, thinking it'd be great to round out the launch, but that's passed and honestly if we get Smash 4 Switch in like November this year with only a couple more characters, and combined stage list; (and that seems like one of the better scenarios) I honestly don't see the point of it anymore.

Really hoping for them to put their efforts towards a new one right now. Average Smash development time seems to be around 2 years, so we wouldn't be too far off if the development started when the rumors started swirling around.
Expecting but not hoping for.

I actully dread the possibility that the only smash game qe get for tge switch is a port of a game from last gen I own.

I think the amount of swirling talks means it is prettt likely to happen somewhat soon (2018)
:061:

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

The point is that the Wii U version's success was restricted by the success of the console it was on and Nintendo wants a greater conglomerate of people to experience the game ie. to give them monies for a game worth more than its previous commercial reception would indicate. And by throwing in a few new characters, us slaves to Smash are dragged alongside as well, giving Nintendo that sweet double/triple dipping money.

And I suppose if there was basically no break between development of 4 and 5 the cause for the port would be lessened, but that's not typically the case for Smash development, and honestly I don't think it will be here either. I obviously wouldn't turn down Smash 5, but I don't feel the need for it any time soon.

I'm fine with a port. Smash 4 was great, jam-packed with content, and will keep me and the people I play with entertained for years more to come, even if we got neither a port nor a sequel until a long way down the road. So getting a few additional characters, stages, and amalgamated content only sweetens things, especially considering the list of burning, imminent inclusions that need to make it into Smash are, at this point, really only limited to Inkling. Nintendo has its bases pretty much covered at this point.

D

Deleted member

At this point in the Mario series what does series importance really matter when you've got popular characters who show up all the time? Hasn't Sakurai considered adding Geno before? And that guy is even less important than Waluigi, having shown up all of twice, only once with any consequence, in a 20+ year old spin-off.

Who cares if Waluigi's significance exists only in spin-offs, Smash isn't beholden to rules like that.

Also, the list of characters who don't have anything unique to offer Smash in terms of a moveset is very short, with Waluigi not being on it. It's really shocking how often that claim gets thrown around regarding characters. Like, do you guys have no creativity? Moreover, do you have no faith in Sakurai's ability to cull a moveset?
Not only that, but it's not like Waluigi is devoid of anything from source material to work with. Without even considering that the fact source material gives him so much random techniques and abilities basically means he's a figurative giant mound of clay to be molded into how one sees fit that could be given just aboutt any fighting style or skillset in regards to Smash and it wouldn't be out of place for him. He's the opposite of someone who has no potential, he is someone who has the most potential. Literally the only limit is one's imagination.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mostly picture Waluigi as a character that chooses to not totally obey the laws of physics, such as when he does his little air swim. I hope Smash rolls with that idea, should he ever be included. I mean, past the normal non-obedience to physics in Smash, like the double jump.

I think he'd make a great joke character.

D

Deleted member

I mostly picture Waluigi as a character that chooses to not totally obey the laws of physics, such as when he does his little air swim. I hope Smash rolls with that idea, should he ever be included. I mean, past the normal non-obedience to physics in Smash, like the double jump.

I think he'd make a great joke character.
So basically, you want him to cheat the laws of physics in Smash.

Why stop there.....?
How about make him a character that is designed to be able to break certain "rules" of how Smash works in order to win......?

After all, Sakurai did say "just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle". But what if you cheated your way.....?

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The point is that the Wii U version's success was restricted by the success of the console it was on and Nintendo wants a greater conglomerate of people to experience the game ie. to give them monies for a game worth more than its previous commercial reception would indicate. And by throwing in a few new characters, us slaves to Smash are dragged alongside as well, giving Nintendo that sweet double/triple dipping money.

And I suppose if there was basically no break between development of 4 and 5 the cause for the port would be lessened, but that's not typically the case for Smash development, and honestly I don't think it will be here either. I obviously wouldn't turn down Smash 5, but I don't feel the need for it any time soon.

I'm fine with a port. Smash 4 was great, jam-packed with content, and will keep me and the people I play with entertained for years more to come, even if we got neither a port nor a sequel until a long way down the road. So getting a few additional characters, stages, and amalgamated content only sweetens things, especially considering the list of burning, imminent inclusions that need to make it into Smash are, at this point, really only limited to Inkling. Nintendo has its bases pretty much covered at this point.
I'm not sure I agree with this. We know the game was restricted because of the platforms it was on, but the commercial success turned out to be the best selling Smash Bros game of all time. Regardless of Wii U's faults, the fact that it came out on the 3DS completely negated any sales that would've been missed had it just come out on a console that was successful, probably added a few too. I'd say making Smash 4 for the 3rd time wouldn't be giving the game its due, but rather just milking it for everything it's worth.

I also don't really agree that Smash 4 covered all the bases so to speak when it comes to characters, but I see your point in that all the must haves are pretty much there, and the rest can be added in the port.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

That's a good way to put it, more or less. Smash 4 has done really well for its circumstances, and an upgraded version of it later this year would do more to help the Switch than if we were to wait 2 1/2-3 years for Smash 5. It wouldn't have that intoxicating new game smell, but it'd be an even better version of an already great casual and competitive fighter and I'd be all for it.

Especially if they added even more content after its release, but that's neither here nor there.

No Bravado

Smash Rookie
Can I just piss a few people off and speculate a new blindsiding-unexpected 3rd party character that might be added to the roster simply because of the games community popularity that's held on real hard in the last few years?

Undertale.

Why? Have you seen the mods for Sans?

Not to mention a lot of the Undertale inspiration was because of Earthbound.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Can I just piss a few people off and speculate a new blindsiding-unexpected 3rd party character that might be added to the roster simply because of the games community popularity that's held on real hard in the last few years?

Undertale.

I don't think a lot of people would be outright opposed to an Undertale charcter.

But seeing that it's still only on PC, I'd put the chances really low.

In any case, welcome to the boards. :)

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I would imagine Waluigi's core design would somewhat mimic how the popular Brawl mod designed him, as a Wario knockoff.

Due to his background with cheating, I'm sure some attacks would have very out of place sweetspots as well.

I also hope Waluigi's Final Smash would involve directly manipulating with % meters, it might break the 4th-wall a little too much, but I think it thematically suits him well. Especially since he's the type to cheat in competitions.

-Oh, and why stop there? Have him add a couple points to his score while we're at it? I'm sure gameplay-wise it would probably be very uninteresting, so the animation for the move would have to be perfect.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So most of you would want Waluigi as a sort Toon Force, Fourth Walll character like Deadpool?

I like it.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812

Undertale.

I'd honestly be down for it if for no other reason than that it would make people get past their irritation and maybe actually play that wonderful game. Undertale gets a lot of flack , but it's because of the fanbase. The game itself is original, wonderful and just downright awesome.

But, uh, yeah. Pretty unlikely, rip

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The mere mention of Undertale pisses anyone off.

So imagine if we do get someone from there. But the game is irrelevant and being made from Game Maker prevents it from being on any console unless remade from ground up.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Meanwhile, there's Geno.

Poor Pinocchio.
Geno is still the most requested square enix character since brawl and i havent seen someone from square enix being more requested than him and even though the game is old people are still demanding revival of the SMRPG characters to this date.

i dont think he is very far from making it into smash

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Geno is still the most requested square enix character since brawl and i havent seen someone from square enix being more requested than him and even though the game is old people are still demanding revival of the SMRPG characters to this date.

i dont think he is very far from making it into smash
Round Brawl era, I'd agree with you. I think Sora probably has a higher request rate these days though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd honestly be down for it if for no other reason than that it would make people get past their irritation and maybe actually play that wonderful game. Undertale gets a lot of flack , but it's because of the fanbase. The game itself is original, wonderful and just downright awesome.

But, uh, yeah. Pretty unlikely, rip
Actually, the gameplay also requires quite a lot of reflexes. Some players simply can't handle that kind of stuff. I doubt I'm the only one with that issue. Not everyone prefers(even if they can handle it, some don't enjoy it) reflex-based gameplay. The fanbase isn't the only possible reason to dislike playing a game. Albeit, I do think the game itself is neat, it's just one I know I can't legit enjoy playing. But I vastly prefer turn-based with a decent amount of interaction, just not to the point where I need beyond perfect timing all the time. I'm a slower player.

The type of gameplay can easily be a turnoff to people. It's why some people want simple games puzzle-wise because they don't like to think hard and prefer more mindless gameplay. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just their style. I could go on, but you get the idea.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
.......I suggest you run, Chandelure.

You've royally pissed off the wrong Waluigi fan with your flat-out incorrect statements and hypocrisy.
I am not Chandelure :^)
Bruh, this is just flat out false.

It's like saying people want Bandana Dee only to fulfill the Kirby Main 4.

It's just stupid.
Yeah, it is stupid but that is what every Waluigi fan that I know in real life says.

Also those Youtube videos of top 10 characters, etc.

It is like, I want Waluigi because Wario is already in the game and because Waluigi time lel.

It was an exaggeration to say 100% of fans say that, but the statement is still not false for a lot of people.

Also, there is something funny because a lot of people just hate the idea of Daisy in Smash, but think Waluigi actually deserves it more.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Y'know, I'm excited for speculation to really start picking up. The reason why is because I know it'll be a lot of fun to jump into new threads based around characters I used to support. Snake, Bandana Dee, Takamaru, K. Rool, *ahem* Ridley, I know it'll be a lot of fun to meet the new users and talk to them about our shared love in those characters.

However, I'm not to excited about one thing, detractors. Don't get me wrong they need to be there to be the ones to spark debate but seeing all the Snake love going around right now makes me feel at home here. When the Snake thread was around though we always had someone to randomly show up like once a week and spout insults to us or our character. I know the Snake thread wasn't the only thread to have this too and it was difficult to be a middle ground in those situations trying to calm the storm so to speak.

Maybe it'll be different this round of speculation. We'll see.

/minirant

Y'know I really thought it would take a while before arguments like this started to flare up. I would have lost that bet
Y'know, I'm excited for speculation to really start picking up. The reason why is because I know it'll be a lot of fun to jump into new threads based around characters I used to support. Snake, Bandana Dee, Takamaru, K. Rool, *ahem* Ridley, I know it'll be a lot of fun to meet the new users and talk to them about our shared love in those characters.

However, I'm not to excited about one thing, detractors. Don't get me wrong they need to be there to be the ones to spark debate but seeing all the Snake love going around right now makes me feel at home here. When the Snake thread was around though we always had someone to randomly show up like once a week and spout insults to us or our character. I know the Snake thread wasn't the only thread to have this too and it was difficult to be a middle ground in those situations trying to calm the storm so to speak.

Maybe it'll be different this round of speculation. We'll see.

/minirant
Well my intention is to make sure people can't come in with low quality posts and just try to stir the pot. If you are nonspecifically jumping into a support thread to insult a character you better have a well written argument and not just be throwing around insults ;)

That is, assuming we even get character threads anytime soon, but that is another matter.

Modding the Ridley thread is going to be funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn /s
:061:

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I am not Chandelure :^)

Yeah, it is stupid but that is what every Waluigi fan that I know in real life says.

Also those Youtube videos of top 10 characters, etc.

It is like, I want Waluigi because Wario is already in the game and because Waluigi time lel.

It was an exaggeration to say 100% of fans say that, but the statement is still not false for a lot of people.

Also, there is something funny because a lot of people just hate the idea of Daisy in Smash, but think Waluigi actually deserves it more.
In the end, why a certain character is liked by people is completely irrelevant to the chances. Doesn't matter whether you have a really deep and personal reason to like a character or simply lel memes, at the end of the day, you're going to pay the same $60 for the game. The developer has no reason to give the "deep reasons" priority.

A lot of people like Waluigi because he's a meme. Doesn't mean their support is illegitimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom