• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think Nihilego is the only UB that would even be considered. Granted I don't think it's likely to be considered, but hey. I'd be all for it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm fairly certain Nihelego doesn't work as it doesn't move enough or fast enough for an action game.

Gotta remember that thing barely moves.

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
On the subject of Pokemon in Smash, does anyone here feel that any of Sun & Moon's Z-Moves could work as Final Smashes?

Besides that, other than my unmelting (ha) desire for Ice Climbers, I would say that a Splatoon charater would be a very desirable character for a Sm4sh port.

D

Deleted member

I'm fairly certain Nihelego doesn't work as it doesn't move enough or fast enough for an action game.

Gotta remember that thing barely moves.
Thing is also supposed to be frail and weak, hence why it uses nuerotoxins to make others stronger and more violent with the idea that its "host" will protect it.
Even if Sakurai/whoever took creative liberties to make Nihilego actually function well as a playable fighter animation-wise, it'd be an even bigger joke than Jigglypuff.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
If there even was a Zelda Newcomer.

Who would it be?
HW Ganondorf as semi-Link clone. In theory all HW characters can be pseudo Link clones because the they all can use hookshot/bombs/bow/boomerang. Ganon would trade out the shield for a 2nd sword so there would still be some major moveset changes.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
HW Ganondorf as semi-Link clone. In theory all HW characters can be pseudo Link clones because the they all can use hookshot/bombs/bow/boomerang. Ganon would trade out the shield for a 2nd sword so there would still be some major moveset changes.
That sounds really boring, not gonna lie.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
On the subject of Pokemon in Smash, does anyone here feel that any of Sun & Moon's Z-Moves could work as Final Smashes?
Many of them.

The Tapunium Z exclusive I feel would work well in Smash(going back to my thoughts on Tapu Koko being a viable pick), just look at it:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think that's a given for any Gen VII Pokémon.

Moves like Malicious Moonsault basically ARE Final Smashes.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Boy.

Let's have ourselves a wrastin' match.

So... what are the chances that in a new Smash game (not a port), our FE roster is the same as Smash 4?

:4marth::4feroy::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina::4corrin:

Now we can properly start this fight with one of the likely choice for a potential pokemon newcomer.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I don't see why not.

Of the Pokémon we have now, Jigglypuff is the only one who should have their current FS changed to one; Pikachu has its signature move, Lucario/Charizard/Mewtwo have their Megas, and Greninja can get Ash-Greninja.

A Gen 7 Pokémon should also logically have one.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I'm going to be honest and simple with this Pokemon discussion; the most viable candidate from Gen 7 that I can see entering the game is Decidueye. We do not have a Grass type Pokemon in the game, and we all know how iconic Water, Fire, and Grass is for being the first 3 types you will ever encounter in the Pokemon games. Decidueye would very easily fit that role of a Grass type starter Pokemon in the game (with a bonus of being the first playable Ghost type Pokemon in Smash). For those suggesting we have Pokemon like Incineroar and Tapu Koko in the game, I am going to have say no on those. For Incineroar's case, we already have enough Fire representation in Smash (with Charizard being the main Fire Pokemon) and while I understand there's a potential unique moveset that could come out of Incineroar for being a writer who fights with evil tactics, I fear it would simply be a waste of a slot if we added yet another Fire user (this sounds familiar to Fire Emblem...) As for Tapu Koko, we have Pikachu to represent the Electric type and I am not sure how a moveset could work for it (but hey, that's just me). And don't get me wrong, I like Tapu Koko, but I'd rather have a Pokemon of a single or double type be represented once and that there should not be Pokemon with the same typing or typings later on. Overall, Decidueye would be the best addition out of the other Gen 7 choices.

And yes, Decidueye's Final Smash would be Sinister Arrow Raid; its practically a signature move for him (which it is).

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Z-Moves work great as Final Smashes, that's essentially what they are in core Pokémon games as well. If a 7th gen Pokémon gets in, Z-Moves are an obvious choice for a Final Smash, it being the major thing of Sun & Moon, much like mega evolution was for 6th gen. I don't necessarily see any existing Final Smashes changed... though many of them do rely on mega evolutions so maybe they want to mix them up a bit. Ash-Greninja for Greninja is an option too.

As for the discussion of a new Pokémon character, here's what I think: while Decidueye is a great choice for a character, I have a gut feeling Mimikyu would be the one to pull through in the end. Decidueye does have its genuine supporters but I personally feel there's also quite a bit of basing it off of Greninja/a starter being chosen last time and the (supposedly needed?) grass-fire-water-trinity which I don't think is a factor. Greninja was in a very different situation when it was chosen VS where a possible 7th gen addition is now: it was impossible to say which Pokémon would grow popular in X/Y so just a potential one was chosen, while now we have somewhat of a feel of how popular each 7th gen Pokémon is - out of which Mimikyu does stand out as one of the more popular ones, if not the most popular. I can't imagine what the development process of adding a 7th gen Pokémon would be (as in when it would be chosen and worked on etc), but even prior to the release of S/M, I feel Mimikyu already stood more ground than many other Pokémon revealed.
I do like the idea of Tapu Koko as well though, it's quite a prominent character when it comes to 7th gen games and anime. Actually, I'm all up for a wild card pick from Alola haha!

Characters which I'd hope for a Smash Switch or port would, of course, be the return of cut veterans (mainly IC's, Snake and Wolf). Inkling I find to be a safe pick as well, maybe something new for Zelda as BotW is turning out to be a huge hit (have yet to play it though so not sure what it could be). Of course I'm still rooting for many other newcomers but I don't want to go overboard haha!

D

Deleted member

Now we can properly start this fight with one of the likely choice for a potential pokemon newcomer.
Funny thing I recently read up on.
On Incineroar's concept art, one of the moves it was shown to be doing was called the "Tiger Swing".

.....said technique is one of Incineroar-GX's attacks in the TCG, in both English and Japanese.

Don't know what the other two attacks are in the concept art (where he puts the Machamp looking thing in a backbreaker and where he slams a table on Pikachu) since I haven't yet been able to translate them. All I know is they are both "Tiger -insert second word-".

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
If there even was a Zelda Newcomer.

Who would it be?
I'd say Tingle maybe. BotW will have been out for awhile once this theoretical port will be released.

And there are a lot of new characters in the game sure, but no real new mainstays. If they had to pick one, I'd say just add another Link who "breaks the conventions" of TP and Toon Link. But the game has a lot of good stuff for stage and item-related additions.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Trident Pig-Ganon or Tingle works for me.

A revamped Gannondorf would be nice. Down B could be transforming into his quadruped-pig form and charging. A faster version of Down B that hurls enemies upwards.

And the B move should have an option of turning the purple fist into a purple ball of energy projectile, although for less knockback.

And his Up B should be free-form levitation with the option of crashing to the stage with a fist.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Boy.

Let's have ourselves a wrastin' match.

So... what are the chances that in a new Smash game (not a port), our FE roster is the same as Smash 4?

:4marth::4feroy::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina::4corrin:
I think Lucina will become a full on Marth Pallette Swap, if for no reason than to cut down the FE representation. And as much as I despise it, I bet Roy gets cut again. Even though he's the business. I can't see them cutting either Robin or Corrin, not just because popularity but also because of how unique they play. I doubt we see Alm or Celica, but the protagonist of the FE switch game is pretty likely. Or, hell, the antagonist. That would be a - switch- up

D

Deleted member

A little question.

Since there's now a forum dedicated to Smash Switch speculation, does that mean the next version of "Rate Their Chance" will come there?

I think Lucina will become a full on Marth Pallette Swap,
I have a problem seeing that happening TBH

Dr. Mario was specifically upgraded from an alt because of fans of the character and the differences. It would be really weird to then completely reverse that idea on a way more popular character. Especially on a low effort character like Lucina for no other reason than "representation"

A little question.

Since there's now a forum dedicated to Smash Switch speculation, does that mean the next version of "Rate Their Chance" will come there?
Right now the kinks are still being worked out, but from what I can tell, most likely.
:061:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
For a Zelda newcomer, I'd still like Impa. And I'm really hoping for that Skyward Sword port, which likely won't happen due to it's piss poor reception. A man can dream right? It's not like Zelda has many recognisable workable characters. Not even Ganondorf shows up regulary.

I do however think Midna might be somewhat likely. Due to the TP designs being around for 2 full games now, and if Smash Switch is a port, it becomes even more likely they'll reuse it. There's no design they can pull for Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf that's not Hyrule Warriors, Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess. And I don't think they'll use OoT designs any more, and Hyrule Warriors... :( Wish it could!

To be honest, a Zelda newcomer seems less likely than ever at this point. They might just pull a surprise and add Tetra, who knows? Impa, Tetra and Midna are all very popular and rather well known series favorites that gained quite a lot to work with thanks to Hyrule Warriors. So I think they might be the most likely from Hyrule Warriors to appear.

v3ga

Smash Cadet
Top characters I want to see added to Smash for Switch:
5) No more pokedongs
4) The Dad from Family Circus
3) Simon Belmont from Castlevania
2) Shaq from Shaq Fu
1) Phoenix Wright from Phoenix Wright

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I still think Ridley has a chance, I will be in denial forever.
Well...I wouldn't call it denial. Sakurai changed his mind on Villager and Pac-Man between Brawl and 4. I wouldn't rule out that he could also change his mind about Ridley eventually.

Won't happen for 4.5 since Pyrosphere is a thing, but when a true sequel happens however many years from now...it's not out of the question.

D

Deleted member

Greetings everyone. I'd figure that since this speculation forum is now a thing that I stop by here at least once. After all, I made tens of thousands of posts during the course of SSB4 speculation and can recall quite a lot of "misadventures" I had within it. Fun times if I'd say so myself and I learned a lot about myself along the journey, even if the primary reason why I hopped on board was for Mega Man's potential inclusion (which thankfully happened). Since the final DLC announcements, I've moved on from speculation (beyond guesses that stays in my mind) and have no desire to actively follow the next Smash game. I highly doubt I will pick up a hypothetical Switch port (which is weird since I am definitely getting a Switch but for other games. With the Wii U, it was riding on just Mega Man's inclusion and I became interested in other games later after Mega Man's confirmation) and I have a feeling I am also permanently burnt out on Smash as a franchise. I'm not even sure if we will get another full-fledge Smash game, but that's my personal hunch. But, since this is the speculation thread, I may as well contribute one little tidbit.

I think Bomberman has a sizable shot at getting in and by sizable, I mean he would not totally shock me like say, any other third-party (but that's not to say no one else has a chance). The focus on third-parties have significantly increased from Brawl to Smash 4 and I believe that they are coming back, even though I am expecting at least two third-party cuts and am bracing myself for losing Mega Man in the process. Seeing Super Bomberman R announced in the Switch Direct was awesome because I thought Konami had killed all of their franchises outside of PES and mobile ventures. Now that Bomberman is essentially back (with 39k sales in the first week being the best of all Bomberman games in nineteen years and Super Bomberman R was mixed received), it shows that Konami at least does not hate the franchise or have resentments towards the people involved in developing the games. What I also find interesting is that both Konami and Nintendo came together to make this game happen so that means Nintendo had some part in Bomberman's revival.

This is interesting because Nintendo could have gone towards Capcom for Mega Man and receive more attention from gaming journalists and gamers (especially the later given its dedicated fan base). Instead they went for Bomberman and I think a large part of it has to do with Nintendo needing a notable multi-player game on launch. Since Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will not be out until next month, an icon of multi-player the precedes even Mario Kart is not a bad move. Now that evidence of success is present in Super Bomberman R's sales, it shows that even in spite of over six years of absence outside of mobile gaming, Bomberman is still relevant enough to resonate with old and new gamers.

My speculation is that Nintendo (and maybe even Sakurai) are thinking about including Bomberman in the next Smash should there be one. He's the last Japanese third-party character that I think could generate notable buzz worldwide for inclusion in a Smash game. I also strongly believe that Konami would be fine with Bomberman's inclusion into Smash, which is more than what I can say for Snake (sadly, I doubt he is ever coming back).

We'll see what happens. If he does get in, I'll buy the next Smash game in spite of my current apathy since he is my most wanted character now (and the only one I want that has a shot of getting in).
---
Also I'd liked to talk about Nintendo and other characters in Smash in general and why I find myself liking them so much. Not sure where to go to talk about this though, perhaps the Ninten Zone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I have a problem seeing that happening TBH

Dr. Mario was specifically upgraded from an alt because of fans of the character and the differences. It would be really weird to then completely reverse that idea on a way more popular character. Especially on a low effort character like Lucina for no other reason than "representation"

Well, the differences matter, for me at least. Dr Mario chucking pills makes a lot more sense than chucking fireballs- Lucina and Marth's differences are largely hitbox-wise, all of which combining into Lucina being a worse Marth. Doc and Mario feel a lot different from each other, but Lucina and Marth are so similar that they could just give her Marth's entire everything and it would be fine. Like, I would fight Roy and Marth becoming assimilated because they are so different. Heck, even Pit and Dark Pit because their specials feel quite separate (Though I'd really just prefer a decloning of Dark Pit altogether, he's better than that). Maybe I'm just a falchion noob but aside from the tipper I just don't see much difference between Marth and Lucina, all she stands to gain is a buff

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, the differences matter, for me at least. Dr Mario chucking pills makes a lot more sense than chucking fireballs- Lucina and Marth's differences are largely hitbox-wise, all of which combining into Lucina being a worse Marth. Doc and Mario feel a lot different from each other, but Lucina and Marth are so similar that they could just give her Marth's entire everything and it would be fine. Like, I would fight Roy and Marth becoming assimilated because they are so different. Heck, even Pit and Dark Pit because their specials feel quite separate (Though I'd really just prefer a decloning of Dark Pit altogether, he's better than that). Maybe I'm just a falchion noob but aside from the tipper I just don't see much difference between Marth and Lucina, all she stands to gain is a buff
It's because she's pretty much Marth without the tipper and her character size is a little smaller. Other than having different voices and taunts, she's pretty much not different at all. She needs changes to even remotely stand out. Dark Pit needs more(he has too many literally identical moves). Dr. Mario respectively is very unique, besides the voice and body shape, ironically.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Dr. Mario is arguably a semi-clone now, due to how much Mario has changed since Melee.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
I have a question:
How much GB have in a Nintendo Switch cartidge?
I'm asking this because if we will have more characters/stuff in the Smash Bros for Switch.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I have a question:
I'm asking this because if we will have more characters/stuff in the Smash Bros for Switch.
Depends on the game. For Example, Zelda is 32 I believe.

Smash would probably be pretty big regardless, but it would be hard to judge characters from that.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I have a question:
Characters don't take up a lot of space actually. Individual character data only takes up tens of megabytes.

Regardless, Wii U discs could store upto 25 GB, while Switch cards go up to 32 GB.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I still think Ridley has a chance, I will be in denial forever.
As is anyone hoping for Advance Wars representation.

Which includes myself unfortunately.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You guys think you're in denial?
I'm someone who thinks Waluigi will (eventually) be promoted to playable character.

There ain't no more denial than that. :^)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You guys think you're in denial?
I'm someone who thinks Waluigi will (eventually) be promoted to playable character.

There ain't no more denial than that. :^)
Oh yeah, that's some next level shiz right there.

Sucks being an AT for life.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think Waluigi does have a chance in the future. A small chance, but it's non-zero.

IMO Waluigi has a chance, but a slim one.

It pretty much comes down to Sakurai getting some wild idea out of nowhere, and seeing other characters like Toad or Paper Mario as uninteresting or unimportant or sometbing to that effect.

Not a high chance, but a chance. That wild idea us the unlikely part IMO

Im still rooting for El Capitan Todd for now

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom