• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'll never forget the time the Australian ratings board leaked Wario for Smash 4 because it said one character attacked by farting.
Nintendo: "No uh... Wario isn't in Smash Bros. We have nothing to confirm. Heh."

Fans: "Then who attacks by farting?"

Nintendo: "Rosalina?"

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Nintendo: "No uh... Wario isn't in Smash Bros. We have nothing to confirm. Heh."

She has a galaxy under her dress and those galaxies probably contain gas giants. Statement checks out.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
She has a galaxy under her dress and those galaxies probably contain gas giants. Statement checks out.
It's good because my fart joke is secretly a smart joke.

D

Deleted member

To be perfectly honest...

Medusa's only advantage is that she's historical and that she's an easy echo.
I wouldn't say easy echo.

A lot of what Palutena does cannot be properly imitated by Medusa. No, just because they are "equals" doesn't mean they are 1:1 identical, which people don't seem to realize.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

A lot of what Palutena does cannot be properly imitated by Medusa. No, just because they are "equals" doesn't mean they are 1:1 identical, which people don't seem to realize.
I'm gonna have to ask you what things.

She's got a staff and can use dark wings for smashes.

ZelDan

Smash Master

I've always thought that too. It's been a while since I played kid Icarus Uprising, or a KI in general, but I don't recall medusa havging much that is too similar to what Palutena does in Smash. If Medusa was an echo, they'd have to take some liberties I'd imagine. they could make Medusa's neutral B have the beams of lights replaced by a snakes I suppose. the teleport mover could just be a teleport...I guess. Outside of that, uhhh...

D

Deleted member

I'm gonna have to ask you what things.

She's got a staff and can use dark wings for smashes.
Staff is completely different design to where "twirly blunt force" techniques don't make sense.
Dress completely covers her legs so no flexibility or kicks.
No Shield.

That's already three major differences that aren't merely aesthetic changes like "dark wings", "dark pillars of light", or "Underworld symbol instead of Palutena's halo".

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Her farts make a new galaxy
Staff is completely different design to where "twirly blunt force" techniques don't make sense.
No Shield.

That's already three major differences that aren't merely aesthetic changes like "dark wings", "dark pillars of light", or "Underworld symbol instead of Palutena's halo".
easy solution to that...Viridi aged up or in a new body form (since some and Palutena flat out say what we see isn’t their real forms...**** that tease)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Eh? Medusa could still easily do that. I don't see the problem there. It's not the fact that the attack doesn't make real world sense, its if it makes "game sense."

I'm pretty sure you could do Palutena's kicks with a full dress. Zelda does a very similar kick.

No Shield.
Those could be her "unique" attacks like Chrom's recovery.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Well, aside from the Let’s Go Pikachu and Eeve spirits, I currently have every spirit currently available in Smash Ultimate. All 1300 of them.

My first spirit was Venusaur, and my last was Twinrova.

Also, apparently Venusaur is Spirit #420.

So I guess you could say I began my Smash Ultimate experience in high spirits.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Here’s Medusa’s Uprising battle:
Make of this what you will.

Well, aside from the Let’s Go Pikachu and Eeve spirits, I currently have every spirit currently available in Smash Ultimate. All 1300 of them.

6D72FA74-65FA-44F9-BB22-04C115A558C4.jpeg

No. Just no.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
People still trying to say some echoes don't make sense when we have a Dark Samus firing bio-missiles and laying egg bombs.

And besides, Palutena's dress already stretches anyways.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Medusa's actual dress is not like Palutena's either. Palutena's is more like an open dress(actually comparable to Gardevoir), where Medusa's is far more like Zelda's, which is way more limited. Overall, the dress type attacks don't work at all due to rather big model differences. I could imagine her being a regular clone, with smaller changes.

Also, Dark Samus is a pretty poor example. Yeah, she could be better, but she literally is using one of Samus' suits, just effectively recolored. Her model is almost literally identical bar the aesthetics and a slightly different arm cannon(but the difference has zero effect on gameplay). It has nothing to do with attacks, as Medusa could easily have recolored/edited ones. Her proper model and dress, nor the staff, really matches up. She's designed too differently to work as an echo.

D

Deleted member

"Muh Dark Samus..."

....has the same basic design as Samus. This is why even if there is slight tweaking such as the more erratic and floaty animations, she can still fuction properly as what is basically a glorified alternate costume.

Medusa is not an exact match for Palutena.

I really wish people would put more thought into the Echo argument.

Not that it matters since clearly Medusa wasn't getting in either way. If she was an "easy Echo", why isn't she one?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Medusa's actual dress is not like Palutena's either. Palutena's is more like an open dress(actually comparable to Gardevoir), where Medusa's is far more like Zelda's, which is way more limited. Overall, the dress type attacks don't work at all due to rather big model differences. I could imagine her being a regular clone, with smaller changes.

Also, Dark Samus is a pretty poor example. Yeah, she could be better, but she literally is using one of Samus' suits, just effectively recolored. Her model is almost literally identical bar the aesthetics and a slightly different arm cannon(but the difference has zero effect on gameplay). It has nothing to do with attacks, as Medusa could easily have recolored/edited ones. Her proper model and dress, nor the staff, really matches up. She's designed too differently to work as an echo.
But that's the thing.
The dress doesn't matter when the "open dress" design isn't ever used in a meaningful way.
Her leg doesn't come out of the dress nor does the dress ever not hide her legs.
What does happen is the dress streeeeeetches unrealistically to cover that.
It is essentially a normal dress with a slice of transparency over it.

Look at the gifs and tell me that any dress wouldn't be capable of doing the exact same stretching.

Also the Dark Samus reference is to show characters can use moves and attacks they've never done before if that's what it took to fill the echo mark.

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
NineS: *claims ClaTheBae ClaTheBae "gifted us with [the shown] image", which clearly contains what appears to be a girl*
ClaTheBae: *has sex set to "Male" in their Profile*
Girl in Picture: *is wearing an Emil head*
NineS: *known for sporting Emil in their PFP and Sig, Profile is also set to "Male"*

Okay, I know I shouldn't be, but I'm confused. Is that Cla's girlfriend or something?
yeah so one time I went to see this girl and I had her write down "hey smashboards" on a sign and I took a pic of it and uploaded it here to prove I was a megachad or whatever (really just did it for fun)
We dated and ended up not working but yeah thats the story of that image.

KMDP

Smash Legend

My first Spirit was Don Flamenco, and my last was Incineroar (I don't remember what my last non-Fighter Spirit was).

D

Deleted member

TBFH, if you have to stretch ideas and make "exceptions" to make Medusa work as an Echo, then she really isn't an "easy Echo", now is she?

You can throw your "Dark Samuses" and your "Chroms" or your "Kens" in people's faces all day.
I just have one counter.
:ultisabelle:

Sakurai said:
Isabelle is based off of Villager. She pockets items and rides on a balloon swing. However, she is not an Echo Fighter.

This is because Isabelle and Villager have fundamentally different body types and personalities, so we couldn’t have made her an Echo. All of her animations are different; not a single one is the same.
If you have to tweak so many of Palutena's animations JUST to make Medusa "work" with her own identity and still function as an Echo, how is she an "easy Echo"?
What makes her possible but not Isabelle?

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
why you all arguing about medusa when hades is clearly the better option

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If we can’t see Medusa as Palutena’s echo, think of the changes needed to make Hades her echo...

Nobody wants to see Hades in that dress.

We better stop.
yeah remember when chrom was forced to wear roy's armor

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Here’s Medusa’s Uprising battle:
Make of this what you will.
View attachment 187167
No. Just no.
1. Medusa still hot tho
2. Snoop Dogg for a Pokémon Trainer alt confirmed specifically for Ivysaur
People still trying to say some echoes don't make sense when we have a Dark Samus firing bio-missiles and laying egg bombs.

And besides, Palutena's dress already stretches anyways.

Don’t mind me...just enjoying the Palutena viewing
Not that it matters since clearly Medusa wasn't getting in either way. If she was an "easy Echo", why isn't she one?
*remembers the Shadow the Hedgehog dream that ended up dying in a flash*
FB7EDAA0-41C7-47A6-AE79-E94B6DDB28E5.gif

Nobody wants to see Hades in that dress.
EABE63BF-456E-4B3B-A500-F57E450D38EA.gif

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

Working on getting Mew by beating the final boss segment without getting KO'd. Came so goddamn close last month that it hurts. Haven't tried much since then, as I've been busy with other stuff. If you didn't have to do the whole ascent/boss rush sections before doing the final boss, it wouldn't be that bad. Those parts aren't too difficult and I rarely have trouble with them. But having to do all of that just to reattempt the actual final boss is just tedious and grating.

Made a couple of attempts today. Got pretty close on the first attempt, but made some mistakes and in the end was surprised by an attack I either hadn't seen before or forgot about. The second attempt was ended by Dracula as I somehow got comboed by him. Don't really know how that happened, it's a blur.

My problem is that I'm trying to do it with just Dark Samus, though I could probably do it much more easily with Olimar or something else that can cheese the bosses. But I'd just like to be able to say I did it with Dark Samus, rather than whatever's easiest. Since it takes so long just to reattempt the final boss, though, I might have to just cut my losses and stop letting the game waste my time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We have covered 23 pages today so if we keep up this pace we have about 2 and a half days left for this thread

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Make Hades an Incineroar echo. I want to see him strike a pose after every attack.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Working on getting Mew by beating the final boss segment without getting KO'd. Came so goddamn close last month that it hurts. Haven't tried much since then, as I've been busy with other stuff. If you didn't have to do the whole ascent/boss rush sections before doing the final boss, it wouldn't be that bad. Those parts aren't too difficult and I rarely have trouble with them. But having to do all of that just to reattempt the actual final boss is just tedious and grating.

Made a couple of attempts today. Got pretty close on the first attempt, but made some mistakes and in the end was surprised by an attack I either hadn't seen before or forgot about. The second attempt was ended by Dracula as I somehow got comboed by him. Don't really know how that happened, it's a blur.

My problem is that I'm trying to do it with just Dark Samus, though I could probably do it much more easily with Olimar or something else that can cheese the bosses. But I'd just like to be able to say I did it with Dark Samus, rather than whatever's easiest. Since it takes so long just to reattempt the final boss, though, I might have to just cut my losses and stop letting the game waste my time.
I suppose I'm either really good or just insanely lucky, because I got the "Do the Final Boss without KOs" challenge on my first "attempt" (I had already beaten the boss normally). #Humblebrag

I got the challenge by doing it as Ganondorf on Easy, I got "close" to dying a couple of times, but only in terms of my damage getting a bit too high for comfort, I was never really in any danger.

Here's some advice though, not sure if you need it or know this stuff already, but I'll hedge my bets:
  • During the final phase, there's no real rush; Galeem and Dharkon will hurt each other, try to focus more on evading and blocking their attacks, only attacking when the opportunity presents itself.
  • On Easy Mode during the First Phase; Warlock Punch can stop the part where Galeem and Dharkon gradually take up more and more of the screen in one hit (not sure if this applies to other modes).
  • During the second phase, a Maxim Tomato will spawn after every two bosses you defeat (again, on Easy, not sure about other modes), these Tomatos will stick around between Boss fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom