• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
That line (if it's in the Japanese version mostly unchanged), implies Elise is of "marriageable age" within the context of a Medieval setting.

It could mean "14" (and if that's the case, ew) or "16" (which is the legal age of consent in Britain and most of Europe, for the record).

It is, however, also the case that Elise doesn't act age appropriate even for a teenager (she still plays Hide and Seek, for example).
Dude, medieval girls got married off at 12. But then again the life expectancy was like 25, so.

But on a very serious note, the Awakening-esque children aspect shouldn't have been in Fates. Trying to force all eight royal siblings into romance options kind of bastardizes multiple character relationships with the player character. Elise should have just been a kid and not "of marriageable age, trust us, it's fine".

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
That literally isn't the mods' job. That's up to the admins...and even then, it's pretty much only up to Warchamp.
I already bugged Warchamp for :ultrobinf:&:ultcorrinf:.

Y'all can ask for the rest.

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
Dude, medieval girls got married off at 12. But then again the life expectancy was like 25, so.

But on a very serious note, the Awakening-esque children aspect shouldn't have been in Fates. Trying to force all eight royal siblings into romance options kind of bastardizes multiple character relationships with the player character. Elise should have just been a kid and not "of marriageable age, trust us, it's fine".
dude do you remember the baby pit they throw the kids in to make them age up super quick to help them fight in the war. Like, Jakob has a child just to make them go right into battle and serve Corrin- Fates is stupid

KMDP

Smash Legend

You're right, there was no reason for the Children to exist except to appeal to Awakening fans.

Not to mention that the Supports in Awakening and Fates have a major problem of Quantity over Quality.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
That literally isn't the mods' job. That's up to the admins...and even then, it's pretty much only up to Warchamp.
Alright then.

Time to spam his inbox until he adds Pika Libre, Meta Ridley, Overalls Wario, Alph, All the Villagers and Radiant Dawn Ike.

(Jk, I would never do that)

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I just noticed we now have icons for alt costumes and characters. Thanks, mods!

RIP Alph
Alph deserves this pain
Long live the King!
Pikachu is next.
K Rool looking like a threat as usual
Wanna hear a fool's dream?

I dream of NEW Paper Mario that was a proper RPG...
and I dream of Kid Icarus getting multiple sequels to and HD remakes of Uprising while also having an anime and getting back the real voice of Viridi (Hynden Walch)...unless somebody in the gaming industry has the balls to make my dream come true, no dreams like ours will ever happen...though we still have better chances than F-Zero getting a sequel

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You're right, there was no reason for the Children to exist except to appeal to Awakening fans.

Not to mention that the Supports in Awakening and Fates have a major problem of Quantity over Quality.
I'd say Awakening still has top tier quality in about half of the supports. The problem is that there are clearly certain pairings/parents that the developers favored or expected players to pick. The characters who are "supposed" to go together have way better supports than the oddball picks. So if you make oddball picks, you're missing out on the better portions of the game.

Romancing can exist but making it the sole focus of every S support causes sudden, jarring shifts in storytelling.
C - We disagree.
B - We start to understand one another.
A - We've grown and learned about each other.
S - HAVE MY BABIES.

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
You know how some characters (Fox/Wolf/Falco Robin/Lucina) have different lines if they face each other? Dedede should say "I clobbered dat dere Kirby" if he beats Kirby.
every series represented besides Kirby right back at ya', so sad

D

Deleted member

You know how some characters (Fox/Wolf/Falco Robin/Lucina) have different lines if they face each other? Dedede should say "I clobbered dat dere Kirby" if he beats Kirby.
"CONIDER YOURSELF...CLOBBERED"
*Beats Meta Knight* "OUTTA MY WAY, BIRDMAN!
*Beats K. Rool, Marth or Bowser* "ONLY ROOM FOR ONE KING 'ROUND THESE PARTS!

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
"CONIDER YOURSELF...CLOBBERED"
*Beats Meta Knight* "OUTTA MY WAY, BIRDMAN!
*Beats K. Rool, Marth or Bowser* "ONLY ROOM FOR ONE KING 'ROUND THESE PARTS!
*Beats K. Rool or Wario* "Step aside Tubby!"

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
and I dream of Kid Icarus getting multiple sequels to and HD remakes of Uprising while also having an anime and getting back the real voice of Viridi (Hynden Walch)...unless somebody in the gaming industry has the balls to make my dream come true, no dreams like ours will ever happen...though we still have better chances than F-Zero getting a sequel
This pains me to read not because I disagree...

....but because it's true....:sadeyes:

D

Deleted member

and I just want a ****ing :ulticeclimbers: sequel

D

Deleted member

*Isabelle and Dedede win doubles*
"WELL GIRLY, LOOKS LIKE WE DID IT!"
"actually, I did most of the---"
"WHATS THAT? YOU WANT AN AUTOGRAPH!?"

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'd say Awakening still has top tier quality in about half of the supports. The problem is that there are clearly certain pairings/parents that the developers favored or expected players to pick. The characters who are "supposed" to go together have way better supports than the oddball picks. So if you make oddball picks, you're missing out on the better portions of the game.

Romancing can exist but making it the sole focus of every S support causes sudden, jarring shifts in storytelling.
C - We disagree.
B - We start to understand one another.
A - We've grown and learned about each other.
S - HAVE MY BABIES.
Awakening and Fates would probably have been better off with the GBA Fire Emblem system of having a limited selection of supports for each character.

Robin and Corrin make sense, because they're the avatar and it wouldn't be fair to arbitrarily limit your options.

The weirdest part is that some Awakening characters do have limited Support pools (e.g. Chrom x Cordelia not being possible).

There's some really great stuff in the Fates supports; such as, for example, Camilla teaching Hinoka how to sew, Camilla and Jakob getting into fights about who loves Corrin more, and Beruka and Saizo having a heart-to-heart about their careers as Assassins (sadly censored in the localisation); but finding these great support chains can be muddied by having tons of fluff surrounding them.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Or just go full Injustice and have every character say one of three or four unique things to every other character.

It's like my favorite part of playing Injustice and I hate when online players hit 'skip'.

D

Deleted member

*Isabelle and Dedede win doubles*
"WELL GIRLY, LOOKS LIKE WE DID IT!"
"actually, I did most of the---"
"WHATS THAT? YOU WANT AN AUTOGRAPH!?"
*Beats Wario in a team battle* "TOO BAD YER SKINNY BROTHER AIN'T HERE! AHAHAHAHAAAA!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom