• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

But wait would you seriously accept Zoe if Midna happened I need to know
If any of my wanted characters in general weren't in I would be like "what the **** is this bull**** I hate this" but if one/some (depends on the character) were in I would be like "what the **** wait this doesn't matter [character name] is in anyways so I don't care"

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

If any of my wanted characters in general weren't in I would be like "what the **** is this bull**** I hate this" but if one/some (depends on the character) were in I would be like "what the **** wait this doesn't matter [character name] is in anyways so I don't care"
That makes sense lol
I just wish I could find someone else who would be happy if she made it in...

D

Deleted member

There's bound to be more people then just you who also like whatever series she comes from
Yes but do they want her in Smash
also I can't believe you forgot what FRANCHISE she's from, Littlest Pet Shop is actually a pretty major toy line :glare:

D

Deleted member

Not related to Smash but, what do you guys like in a character? I'm a game design student and I'm currently studying on character design. If possible, can you guys give me some examples too? Thanks in advance.
Number 1 thing is expandable characters
now im not saying that you need to have 172628638263826386383 characters that die every 2 seconds, but have characters die every once in awhile(even the MC) and change the playable character(s). Bonus points if some of the characters have conflicting morals(I.E Absolute Justice vs Moral Justice)

As for examples, here are a few media that could help,

One Piece
Skyrim
Dark Souls
Sonic games
Shovel Knight(the best IMO)
The Legend of Zelda
Death Note

D

Deleted member

also I can't believe you forgot what FRANCHISE she's from, Littlest Pet Shop is actually a pretty major toy line :glare:
I really don't think that the mascot of a little girl's toy line is very common knowledge

Like, did you know that Build-A-Bear workshop has a mascot named Bearemy? Probably not

Pakky

Smash Hero
TIME TO BEE A JERK!

Let's compare these two renditions

1547227125377.png

1547227198337.png

A: Hits most of the character's key points however why is he in a 'Superhero landing' position?

Is he a football player?

Is he too fat too stand?

I just don't get the silhouette.

B: Hits all of the textural points

Conveys intelligence as he's trying to say "you yeah YOU, you're next!"

Both make the eye a focal point but with 'A' making it red along with the same hue as the cape sucks all the energy out of the eye to begin with.

'B' has the cape desaturated so your eye catches it but its more of a casual stroll to view it ,as oppose to a "HEY DID YOU KNOW HE WEARS A CAPE???" that 'A' is conveying with it being BRIGHT scarlet.

If anything stands out on 'B' its all the gold reflecting that "Oh this guy's a bit of a bling boy ain't he?" which translates into gameplay as his fists, crown, and gut are all BIG CHUNGUS parts of his kit.

in 'A' I would have thought the croc shoots lasers from his eye and his cape could do something.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh you ment Zoey from that show i blare the theme song of when my friends won't wake up

D

Deleted member

I really don't think that the mascot of a little girl's toy line is very common knowledge

Like, did you know that Build-A-Bear workshop has a mascot named Bearemy? Probably not
I guess you're kind of right
Sorry...
I'm just kinda pissed off rn, the people who I'm rp'ing with aren't responding

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Noipoi Noipoi Thank you! I think the color scheme of these characters is also important. Litten has darker colors, which helps identifying his aggressiveness. The Inklings have vibrant and colorful schemes, which has a young and lively aura to them. Switch them and you'd get completely different messages from their designs alone.

@faygoshill Thank you! Keeping it simple, right? Simplicity also helps with keeping the character fresh in mind, since the less complicated their design, the easier it is to remember. That's part of why characters like Mario, Kirby and Sonic are so memorable, they look simple enough to remember them after looking only a few times.

Pakky Pakky Thank you! Designs that convey personality. From clothing and accessories to body shape, every detail has their importance in structuring a character. Also, avoiding conflicting details, got it. Color and position might also affect where the focus of the design is, like you just showed.

@Shishœ Thank you?

@Bakugan2556 Thank you! Death is something that helps develop a stronger emotional bond between the character and the player, especially if their death is very tragic. Maybe that's why I like Zero from Megaman so much, he sacrifices himself for others every time they try to bring him back.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Masked Marshmallow Masked Marshmallow This isn't really about individual designs, but: For the love of everything holy, give your characters different faces and builds.

I don't think every character has to be bright and eye catching, especially if they are in a more grounded setting; but a large cast with two body types and four faces make even strong designs look boring.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So I was bored (waiting in the lab for my measurements to finish) so I decided to start a little thing.

You see, everyone keeps asking for peoples top-5 characters for smash, but there is a much more important question:
The top-5 SONGS that should be in smash.

For me, it goes a bit like this:

1. Dialga's Fight to the Finish (PMD2) https://youtu.be/wy9VvdaLuSs

2. Battle!! (Torna: the Golden Country) https://youtu.be/uRtAbX2-f3A

3. Rundas Battle (Metroid Prime 3) https://youtu.be/6nMFLquJeCc

4. Ghost Fight (Undertale) https://youtu.be/Zz1bfhtKsHM

5. VS Joe (Pokémon Battle Revolution) https://youtu.be/yp5XpFJHqzU

(6. Mt. Pyre peak, Pokémon Emerald, https://youtu.be/TEtlhq1PxI4)
Can’t link rn cause I’m on my phone at work on lunch break but:
1. Uncontrollable (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
2. Twister and it’s 68473839637 remixes(The World Ends With You)
3. Theme of Captain Falcon (F-Zero GX)
4. aBOreSSs (Prog Ares) (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
5. Mother****ing Ring A Bell from Tales of Vesperia, see this is why I NEED Brave to be Yuri Lowell
6. Devil Trigger (DMCV)

D

Deleted member

Noipoi Noipoi Thank you! I think the color scheme of these characters is also important. Litten has darker colors, which helps identifying his aggressiveness. The Inklings have vibrant and colorful schemes, which has a young and lively aura to them. Switch them and you'd get completely different messages from their designs alone.

@faygoshill Thank you! Keeping it simple, right? Simplicity also helps with keeping the character fresh in mind, since the less complicated their design, the easier it is to remember. That's part of why characters like Mario, Kirby and Sonic are so memorable, they look simple enough to remember them after looking only a few times.

Pakky Pakky Thank you! Designs that convey personality. From clothing and accessories to body shape, every detail has their importance in structuring a character. Also, avoiding conflicting details, got it. Color and position might also affect where the focus of the design is, like you just showed.

@Shishœ Thank you?

@Bakugan2556 Thank you! Death is something that helps develop a stronger emotional bond between the character and the player, especially if their death is very tragic. Maybe that's why I like Zero from Megaman so much, he sacrifices himself for others every time they try to bring him back.
You're welcome.

D

Deleted member

Can’t link rn cause I’m on my phone at work on lunch break but:
1. Uncontrollable (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
2. Twister and it’s 68473839637 remixes(The World Ends With You)
3. Theme of Captain Falcon (F-Zero GX)
4. aBOreSSs (Prog Ares) (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
5. Mother****ing Ring A Bell from Tales of Vesperia, see this is why I NEED Brave to be Yuri Lowell
6. Devil Trigger (DMCV)
TBH any XCX song would be a ****ing blessing that soundtrack slaps

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
TBH any XCX song would be a ****ing blessing that soundtrack slaps
Hopefully we’ll get Elma, a music pack with XCX tunes and a Sylvalum Lake Ciel stage sometime this DLC season

...lord we need a direct soon

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Since we kinda were speaking about personality in the Ultimate characters, I have to say that I love how Sakurai didn’t portray :ultridley: as a mindless monster in this game. I love his dark sense of humor when he twirls Mario’s hat in the reveal trailer.

The more subtle things like how in one idle animation, he caresses his chin while flexing an ominous grin like he’s thinking about how he’s going to kill his opponent is also great.

Also, the victory screen where he seems to be mauling something before turning around to face the camera and giving a quick smile before the camera zooms out. All of that just shows Ridley as the cunning sadist that he is instead of a feral beast that some people mistake him of being. I really gotta give Sakurai props for that.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Masked Marshmallow Masked Marshmallow This isn't really about individual designs, but: For the love of everything holy, give your characters different faces and builds.

I don't think every character has to be bright and eye catching, especially if they are in a more grounded setting; but a large cast with two body types and four faces make even strong designs look boring.
Oh:ultmarth: come:ultlucina: on:ultike:(The exception from the neck down) man:ultroy: that's :ultchrom: not:ultcorrin: true :ultrobin:

I'm being mean, but this is funny.

Last edited:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord

I see. Maybe that's why people love My Hero Academia, each character has a different artstyle from the other. I think using similar designs can works sometimes as long as they aren't overused. Like, giving the antagonists some shared features, so the player can tell by these features that they are related in some way. This can also be used for story purposes. Like how in Megaman X, all the Reploids look like X. That's because they were created by using X's blueprints as a base.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Number 1 thing is expandable characters
now im not saying that you need to have 172628638263826386383 characters that die every 2 seconds, but have characters die every once in awhile(even the MC) and change the playable character(s). Bonus points if some of the characters have conflicting morals(I.E Absolute Justice vs Moral Justice)

As for examples, here are a few media that could help,

One Piece
Skyrim
Dark Souls
Sonic games
Shovel Knight(the best IMO)
The Legend of Zelda
Death Note
I would be careful on this front though mainly because when you kill off a character, you give up any further opportunity to develop them nor can you use them to drive the plot forward.

And bringing a character back from the dead undermines the concept/threat of death from a narrative standpoint, it’s basically the same as putting them on a round trip bus

(I’m personally not a fan of death in fiction unless it’s done effectively or completely necessary)

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So I was bored (waiting in the lab for my measurements to finish) so I decided to start a little thing.

You see, everyone keeps asking for peoples top-5 characters for smash, but there is a much more important question:
The top-5 SONGS that should be in smash.

For me, it goes a bit like this:

1. Dialga's Fight to the Finish (PMD2) https://youtu.be/wy9VvdaLuSs

2. Battle!! (Torna: the Golden Country) https://youtu.be/uRtAbX2-f3A

3. Rundas Battle (Metroid Prime 3) https://youtu.be/6nMFLquJeCc

4. Ghost Fight (Undertale) https://youtu.be/Zz1bfhtKsHM

5. VS Joe (Pokémon Battle Revolution) https://youtu.be/yp5XpFJHqzU

(6. Mt. Pyre peak, Pokémon Emerald, https://youtu.be/TEtlhq1PxI4)
I'll limit it to Nintendo franchises or franchises that are already in Smash, as much as I'd love to see BFG Division or Devil Trigger in Smash Bros.

1. Uncontrollable (Xenoblade Chronicles X) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmdnpbmM4pc

2. Mor Ardain - Roaming the Wastes (Xenoblade Chronicles 2) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sKp2ZdBaYI

3. One Winged Angel (Final Fantasy VII) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7wJ8pE2qKU (really, ANY Final Fantasy music would work, though for the sake of not having the entire list consist of FF music, I'll stick to Final Fantasy 7)

4. You May Call Me Father (Bayonetta) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFPVWv7X0c4 (Moon River or Fly Me to the Moon would be great, but I assume there's legal issues)

5. It Has To Be This Way (Metal Gear Rising) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwP-OmsTAzQ (even if they were forced to use instrumental versions, most of the Rising boss themes would be great - Rules of Nature (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwDyjDuGCO4) or I'm My Own Master Now (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCmXGaKBPoQ) would work well as alternatives)

EDIT: Honourable mention goes to Akuma's theme from Street Fighter II - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTuUbIouASA (it seems weird to me that they included two different versions of the player select theme, but left out Akuma while including every other Street Fighter II character's theme music)

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Since we kinda were speaking about personality in the Ultimate characters, I have to say that I love how Sakurai didn’t portray :ultridley: as a mindless monster in this game. I love his dark sense of humor when he twirls Mario’s hat in the reveal trailer.

The more subtle things like how in one idle animation, he caresses his chin while flexing an ominous grin like he’s thinking about how he’s going to kill his opponent is also great.

Also, the victory screen where he seems to be mauling something before turning around to face the camera and giving a quick smile before the camera zooms out. All of that just shows Ridley as the cunning sadist that he is instead of a feral beast that some people mistake him of being. I really gotta give Sakurai props for that.
Sakurai was really great with the newcomers in general.

Inkling's fun loving attitude, Isabelle's cuteness, K Rool's sinister silliness, Incineroar in general. I hope the dlc characters have as much personality.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Oh:ultmarth: come:ultlucina: on:ultike:(The exception from the neck down) man:ultroy: that's :ultchrom: not:ultcorrin: true :ultrobin:

I guess it would be if it wasn't my 34348141th time hearing it.

Sakurai was really great with the newcomers in general.

Inkling's fun loving attitude, Isabelle's cuteness, K Rool's sinister silliness, Incineroar in general. I hope the dlc characters have as much personality.
Joker had a ton of personality in P5 (pretty impressive considering he's a silent protagonist in a JRPG), so I imagine you'll like him.

D

Deleted member

how dare you insult chrom's almighty subtle dad bod you take that back right now and wash your mouth with soap

Noipoi

Howdy!
Joker had a ton of personality in P5 (pretty impressive considering he's a silent protagonist in a JRPG), so I imagine you'll like him.
Really? Good to hear he's not another blank slate.

Though I suppose i'll find out myself when I play P5.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I guess it would be if it wasn't my 34348141th time hearing it.

how dare you insult chrom's almighty subtle dad bod you take that back right now and wash your mouth with soap
I sworry :3

osby

Smash Obsessed
I see. Maybe that's why people love My Hero Academia, each character has a different artstyle from the other. I think using similar designs can works sometimes as long as they aren't overused. Like, giving the antagonists some shared features, so the player can tell by these features that they are related in some way. This can also be used for story purposes. Like how in Megaman X, all the Reploids look like X. That's because they were created by using X's blueprints as a base.
Yeah, same face syndrome starts being a problem when you have two characters who should look different but they don't.
If :ultpiranha: is any hint I'm pretty sure they will
It isn't even in the game yet, but it already looks happy being able to chomp the biggest video game starts in the history.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of FE characters anyone else weirded out by how buff Roy is? Like isn't he only 15 or something? Mans got gains

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yeah, same face syndrome starts being a problem when you have two characters who should look different but they don't.
I should really try to avoid same-face in my characters. I just figured out there's a difference between art-style and literally everyone looking the same.

Pakky

Smash Hero
On One Piece

Oda does a great job but 50% of his women are Nami.

Body type wise he's a little better than most but, eh.

Hourglass girls are great and extremes are great and to be fair not everyone in One piece is a hourglass, but the two man girls and possibly the third are, and I mean get it but you can make thick girls attractive. Props for Robin being 6'2 and Carrot is actual pretty well designed.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I should really try to avoid same-face in my characters. I just figured out there's a difference between art-style and literally everyone looking the same.
I can actually draw different faces well enough but when I try to put them on top of a body or sketch quickly, they all end up looking the same.

I think you're fine, since your style is pretty stylized to begin with, though I guess there's always room for improvement.

D

Deleted member

It isn't even in the game yet, but it already looks happy being able to chomp the biggest video game starts in the history.
I feel this innate urge to make some sexual joke out of this but for the good of this thread so it doesn't become another dumpster fire like the other day I will resist.

D

Deleted member

What is everyone's top 5 best characters
Mine are
1 Pikachu
2 Ike
3 Pichu
4 Inkling
5 Peach/Daisy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom