• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I've got my eyes on a used PS3, if a P5 port isn't announced by March i'll probably get it. Your move, Atlus.

Anyway, what are we talki-

Cuts

I'll see you guys later.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
That's why "clones will be cut because they bring nothing to the table" arguments kills my brain cells. Just admit you don't like clones.

Also, people used to throw around "a lot of development time" a lot, but do we know which unique characters take more time? Kirby and Olimar, sure.
We don't really know for sure, but if I had to guess characters with complex gimmicks or a lot of animations are probably the biggest time sink in terms of development time.

The only confirmation we've ever gotten on why a character was cut is :ulticeclimbers:'s exclusion from Smash for (technical issues on the 3DS). Although, we can probably make some strong assumptions on why various characters were cut in the past. It's safe to assume :ultsnake: was cut due to Konami restructuring during Smash for's development, while :ultmewtwo:, :ultroy:, and :ultdoc: were presumably cut from Brawl due to limited development time (as is evident from their files on Brawl's disk).

osby

Smash Obsessed
I've got my eyes on a used PS3, if a P5 port isn't announced by March i'll probably get it. Your move, Atlus.

Cuts

I'll see you guys later.
Don't worry, we established it's not a good argument. Every character has their fans.

D

Deleted member

You clearly don't see enough of my posts then. Especially in Nintenzone. Now I had to add extra sentences for that so I'm going to ask you to give me a refund on the time I wasted typing this. A high five is also acceptable
Ok I'm sorry I shouldn't've said that
*High fives*

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Do you guys have a dead series that you want to be in Smash in hopes of potentially reviving the series?

Something like Isaac for Golden Sun or Banjo Kazooie.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Do you guys have a dead series that you want to be in Smash in hopes of potentially reviving the series?

Something like Isaac for Golden Sun or Banjo Kazooie.
Kid Icarus

Mysterious Murasame Castle. Though I don't believe Smash revives dead series, tbh.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Cuts

I'll see you guys later.
did you just cut and run

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
But that's the thing! They clearly are worthwhile to lots of people! This is especially true as we've got a whole new generation of gamers playing Smash for the first time with Ultimate, thinking "Wow those characters are really cool!" and all, yadda yadda yadda. The Smash fanbase also has a huge *** bubble. Loads of people here were pissed at Bayonetta and demanded cuts. In different circles such as tumblr, people went "YES QUEEN STEP ON THEM ALL I'M SO ****ING GAY RIGHT NOW AAAAAAAAAAAAA" when Bayo got confirmed. Nobody ACTUALLY knows what is or isn't a popular character with fans of Smash and there's many ways to make characters more popular. Plus, people always, ALWAYS, get vocal whenever a character does get cut. Even Pichu had loads of fans missing them, and when Pichu popped back up in Ultimate "OH MY GOD THEY BROUGHT PICHU BACK! YES!". It just devolves into "I'm cutting the character I don't like" only with a high school essay tier of padding to make it seem smarter and sophisticated
I kinda understand what you're saying in that people who go in with characters being cut is a dumb idea. Everyone has fans, but it's still a little silly to pretend that everyone is equally popular. For example, Mario has more fans than Roy, but that doesn't mean that Roy is an inherently unpopular character. I personally like to take the approach of "In an ideal world, no one gets cut, but this isn't an ideal world so it's important to establish who gets priority in terms of development time" regarding the cut conversation.

Likewise, while everyone has a personal bias towards different characters, I don't think that bias is only factor in when people make arguments on who may be cut. I'm not a huge fan of :ultlink: in Smash, but he's an icon and a unique fighter so he's not going to get cut. Likewise, I really like :ultlucas: but he's a Japan-only character, shares certain aspects of his moveset with another character, and has already been cut once. If I was the director, I would never cut Lucas, but I can acknowledge that these may be factors that would lower his priority in terms of dev time, which may lead to him not returning.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I kinda understand what you're saying in that people who go in with characters being cut is a dumb idea. Everyone has fans, but it's still a little silly to pretend that everyone is equally popular. For example, Mario has more fans than Roy, but that doesn't mean that Roy is an inherently unpopular character. I personally like to take the approach of "In an ideal world, no one gets cut, but this isn't an ideal world so it's important to establish who gets priority in terms of development time" regarding the cut conversation.
Okay, but popularity historically doesn't have much meaning when it comes to cuts, considering Snake, Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Wolf got cut at one point while say, R.O.B. never got cut.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
>be me
>try to make a fun game for people to enjoy
>plan backfires
>regret your life decisions
Don't worry my dude I always regret my life decisions *stares at One Piece manga*
Where's the mod, I think a flame war is ensuing.
Oh please, I've seen admins, who are higher ranked than mods, undo a permaban because the guy in question yelled that his free speech rights were being violated. Don't think there's much you can do to fix this site at all

Cuts

I'll see you guys later.
NOI GODDAMMIT YOU'RE NOT GETTING ANY SONY SYSTEMS UNTIL YOU LEARN NOT TO RUN WITH SCISSORS

Likewise, while everyone has a personal bias towards different characters, I don't think that bias is only factor in when people make arguments on who may be cut. I'm not a huge fan of :ultlink: in Smash, but he's an icon and a unique fighter so he's not going to get cut. Likewise, I really like :ultlucas: but he's a Japan-only character, shares certain aspects of his moveset with another character, and has already been cut once. If I was the director, I would never cut Lucas, but I can acknowledge that these may be factors that would lower his priority in terms of dev time, which may lead to him not returning.
I'm not arguing everyone is equally popular, but that everyone has more fans than you think.
Except we always had those "In an ideal world" scenarios, go back to this thread pre-E3, everyone and their mother was yelling about cuts for whatever reason
I see that but if you think people here are honestly trying to be unbiased then you're not going to enjoy reality. Give me a character. ANY character and I can bull**** my way into giving an argument to why they should get cut, it's incredibly easy to do, and we all know it as we're all skilled in the way of the snake, slithering around actual points just so we can sound smart and important for saying "I don't like that!". I even had to ****ing defend Lycanroc from people pulling this crap and I ****ing hate Lycanroc

Just a penguin

Smash Master
A dead series, you say? Well, it would be great to see a character from F-Zero come out, but it's been 14 years since the last game, so it's probably impossible. Same with the Earthbound Series, where the last game was 12 years ago. These are seriously unlikely, though.

/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom