• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
I gotta say, I know this news drought is nothing compared to the two year long news drought of 2011-2013, but it feels just as bad some reason.

Guess I'm just that hungry for Smash.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
How many times are ya'll gonna take to understand. Fam and boo are whatever I'm calling you? How many times do I have to say?

I'm not being inappropriate I'm not being condescending. I talk to my best friends in a jesting manner in that way. Soooo...

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
How many times are ya'll gonna take to understand. Fam and boo are whatever I'm calling you? How many times do I have to say?

I'm not being inappropriate I'm not being condescending. I talk to my best friends in a jesting manner in that way. Soooo...
I mean, your current avatar does make it a little creepy :laugh:
Or am I the only one that reads people's comments in a way that reflects their avatar somewhat?

ErenJager

Smash Champion

I'm not your "fam" and certainly not your "boo".

No matter how you jest it.

Why would the tank's size be an issue here? It's not like Andy would be confined in the tank.
I mean. . .if the tank doesn't fit on the stage it isn't really going to work. Unless it's a final smash I guess but that would be kind of boring. . .also im not really sure boxarts are really going to be used as materails or movesets but that's just me. Maybe an example exists and i'm being forgetful.

Villager more or less borrows from other series for some of his moves. The things he does use are straightforward things from AC. Same applies to Andy. Literally nothing implies that he can't be using a Tank, Artillery, or whatever unit. Everything points to the opposite being true as with the case of AW1's cover art.
Based on how this post goes, I imagine you mean from "his" series, not other. Since only his Up b comes from other series.

And the difference is that Villager actually performs lot's of those actions and uses them. An artillery strike I could see I guess but there is still a huge problem of the whole "dancing in his head" thing. That q
Who are all the potential samurai-archetype newcomers?
Takamaru and Goroh spring to mind. FE characters I guuuuuuuuuuess but probably not.

Im sure there is someone im forgetting :p
I gotta say, I know this news drought is nothing compared to the two year long news drought of 2011-2013, but it feels just as bad some reason.

Yeah this has been pretty bad. Giving us a teaser and then absolutely nothing, not even a look at the gameplay is pretty mean We don't even know this game's artstyle:laugh:
:061:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Well for me the wait doesn't seem as bad. Maybe because i'm not invested in Smash speculation the way I was during the DLC period.

I recall the wait in between the June Smash Direct and the November Direct in 2015 felt like an entire lifetime.
I mean. . .if the tank doesn't fit on the stage it isn't really going to work. Unless it's a final smash I guess but that would be kind of boring. . .also im not really sure boxarts are really going to be used as materails or movesets but that's just me. Maybe an example exists and i'm being forgetful.

Based on how this post goes, I imagine you mean from "his" series, not other. Since only his Up b comes from other series.

And the difference is that Villager actually performs lot's of those actions and uses them. An artillery strike I could see I guess but there is still a huge problem of the whole "dancing in his head" thing. That q
The Tanks would have no trouble fitting on stage. It would literally be no bigger than say Wario's Bike. I don't see how it's an issue.

I don't see why the boxart can't be used as an example seeing as most people's arguments boil down to "Well Andy can't do that" when there's official artwork that clearly shows otherwise. Literally all the artwork shows him using a tank.

Andy is more or less in the same category based on this. Andy using any AW unit is really nothing out of the ordinary.

Are we seriously questioning whether a solider could work in smash :rolleyes:
*sounds of :snake: crying in the distance*
Captain Falcon just drove a "car" and he got a made up moveset. Right?
I would argue that was a "different era." Smash was much more experimental back in the N64. Since then, characters have become much more defined as time has gone on. Source material has become more and more important, especially when a moveset can't just be made by random punches and kicks anymore (for the most part :p)

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Okay, so basically you just want to get uppity for no reason.

Sorry for treating you like a friend and like I treat everyone else then I guess.
I'm not one to shy away from making friends, and will take this as an opportunity to consider each other smashboard friends.

Your nicknames in jest will have lighter and better received context.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Sakurai, xenophobic?

That makes as much sense as Sakurai being Metroid-phobic.

The Tanks would have no trouble fitting on stage. It would literally be no bigger than say Wario's Bike. I don't see how it's an issue.

I don't see why the boxart can't be used as an example seeing as most people's arguments boil down to "Well Andy can't do that" when there's official artwork that clearly shows otherwise. Literally all the artwork shows him using a tank.

Andy is more or less in the same category based on this. Andy using any AW unit is really nothing out of the ordinary.
Well if he is riding the tank how would that even work? The thing would definitely **** with hitboxes more than the bike did (since Wario is so low to the ground and he is on the bike not in it, it barely changes anything, here Andy is like 20 feet in the air, and about half his hitbox would be hidden inside the tank.) And even then would he have a special controlling a tank then? Because there is no way you could shrink a tank down enough to be a Boswer Jr situation. And Andy driving a tank as a special would either be a boring clone of the bike or something pretty damn crazy if he's firing projectiles out of it while trying to control it.

But none of that really solves the issue. Driving the tank for one special, fine. But you can't make an entire moveset out of that, unless Sakurai gets drunk playing Crash Bash and gets an idea that requires half of a body being awkwardly stuck in a very tiny tank.

Although TBH, that does sound pretty fun :p

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Here’s a fun game
Instead of having anime characters in smash
Think of Nintendo characters who can play similarly and please those requests

We already have
Ike - Guts (Berserk)
Bowser Jr - Simon (Gurren Lagan )
Lucario - Goku (dragon ball) (lol)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I think the issue with an Advance Wars character is timing/relevence.

Unless by this point you count it as a retro franchise.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Captain Falcon just drove a "car" and he got a made up moveset. Right?
Nottttt exactly. He had a basis, which is Japanese superheroes. It also fits him being fast-paced and his moveset actually reflects some of the abilities in F-Zero. He's partially made up in more the sense that he uses the beta model and moveset(to some degree) from the original character in Dragon King: The Fighting Game, at least from what we can gather. We do know that they share some animations. Sakurai has yet to comment on this particular factor. Beyond saying why he went for Nintendo characters, but that's literally the only thing related to him talking about Falcon to any degree.

The Star Fox trio are the same way. It's not just made up from scratch so much as an interpretation of what they can do.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Nottttt exactly. He had a basis, which is Japanese superheroes. It also fits him being fast-paced and his moveset actually reflects some of the abilities in F-Zero. He's partially made up in more the sense that he uses the beta model and moveset(to some degree) from the original character in Dragon King: The Fighting Game, at least from what we can gather. We do know that they share some animations. Sakurai has yet to comment on this particular factor. Beyond saying why he went for Nintendo characters, but that's literally the only thing related to him talking about Falcon to any degree.

The Star Fox trio are the same way. It's not just made up from scratch so much as an interpretation of what they can do.
It's more accurate to say he was modeled after Samus.

But otherwise yeah, Sakurai's visualization trumps all.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Let's also remember that Captain Falcon is a bounty hunter, so he has to have combat skills in some way.
I’ve been saying let’s just give Captain Falcon an action game by platinum games with racing missions, it’s the only way I can see the series revived and would be amazing

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's more accurate to say he was modeled after Samus.

But otherwise yeah, Sakurai's visualization trumps all.
Oh, yeah, I forgot about some the of the clone stuff. But I don't think he was clear about all of it. I wouldn't be surprised if Falcon was modeled after both. He shared the same model as the beta characters. And literally some animations. So who knows exactly how he was developed. Or maybe I misread and Samus took notes from the beta characters which then got applied to Falcon? Hmm. Eh.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well if he is riding the tank how would that even work? The thing would definitely **** with hitboxes more than the bike did (since Wario is so low to the ground and he is on the bike not in it, it barely changes anything, here Andy is like 20 feet in the air, and about half his hitbox would be hidden inside the tank.) And even then would he have a special controlling a tank then? Because there is no way you could shrink a tank down enough to be a Boswer Jr situation. And Andy driving a tank as a special would either be a boring clone of the bike or something pretty damn crazy if he's firing projectiles out of it while trying to control it.

But none of that really solves the issue. Driving the tank for one special, fine. But you can't make an entire moveset out of that, unless Sakurai gets drunk playing Crash Bash and gets an idea that requires half of a body being awkwardly stuck in a very tiny tank.

Although TBH, that does sound pretty fun :p
Easy. Andy can freely leave the Tank and can move around whilst firing in the tank. The tank doesn't have to be to scale. Make it like a Bowser-sized Tank and it could work. Essentially, when Andy is using the Tank special, he would control the Tank's direction with the control stick, he could freely leave the Tank by pressing A, and he can fire using B. Not that complicated really.

I said it before already. The tank isn't even comprising his entire moveset. It's literally one special that would be a small part of what Andy brings to the table as a Smash fighter. Doing that would just completly suck all the potential he has away.

And no i'm not advocating for Andy to be a clone of Tiny the Tiger from Crash Bash lol.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I’ve been saying let’s just give Captain Falcon an action game by platinum games with racing missions, it’s the only way I can see the series revived and would be amazing
I read this as Captain Toad at first and oh boy, that'd be rad.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think the issue with an Advance Wars character is timing/relevence.

Unless by this point you count it as a retro franchise.
That's not what i'm arguing dude. Although you're right in saying that relevance is not on it's side.

AW is in a weird limbo in between being retro and being modern. It's not new enough to be recent but not old enough to be retro. But personally I think it's a benefit because with that Andy could dual represent the NES/GBA through his series debut (NES) and when he debuted in the game (GBA). Would represent two unique different era's of Nintendo's history.

I will say though, I want more from AW in smash. I don't personally care for a character, but it needs a tad more.

It needs more music

And if possible, incorporate the beautiful graphics.
yeah, that isn't reasonable because Smash isn't pixelated. . .but shut up. An AT is already decent representation I suppose but it could do with a bit more. Music might be a bit weird since a lot of it isn't really fight music, but tell that to AC.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
That's not what i'm arguing dude. Although you're right in saying that relevance is not on it's side.

AW is in a weird limbo in between being retro and being modern. It's not new enough to be recent but not old enough to be retro. But personally I think it's a benefit because with that Andy could dual represent the NES/GBA through his series debut (NES) and when he debuted in the game (GBA). Would represent two unique different era's of Nintendo's history.
When you put it that way that would basically make F-Zero a retro series. Really weird where to start drawing the line for a retro series, like at some point it has to go past NES. Definitely not up to Game Cube yet though.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
When you put it that way that would basically make F-Zero a retro series. Really weird where to start drawing the line for a retro series, like at some point it has to go past NES. Definitely not up to Game Cube yet though.
I would say the Gamecube/GBA era can be retro now. That era is like over a decade old now (even more so with the older games of that gen) and 2001 is even further back than the IC's were in Melee.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Depends how you define retro, of course. Since it's a subjective term entirely(as no company made a clear case for it), I have always defined a game being retro as two systems back by design. Thus, I wouldn't call Shovel Knight a retro game(though it's obvious where the inspiration is from).

It's a bit too YMMV at this point. Sakurai has hardly made a clear cut definition either, which at best may be "old style 2D", a common depiction of it.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I would say the Gamecube/GBA era can be retro now. That era is like over a decade old now (even more so with the older games of that gen) and 2001 is even further back than the IC's were in Melee.
Huh, just barely but boy is that a weird thought. I hate the "I feel old talk" but thinking of Game Cube as retro definitely does make me feel old.

Maybe we need to start having multiple decade old retro picks as well as recent retro picks lol.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
NES, Super NES, N64, and Game Boy Games are what I consider retro.

Gamecube and Gameboy Advance games are in this weird place where I don't like to think they're as old as they are, but they really are old and some people might even consider them retro as well.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Characters more likely than you think: #4
Character: Celica
Universe: Fire Emblem
Debut: Fire Emblem Gaiden (1991)

Celica's History:

Celica debuted in Fire Emblem Gaiden for the Super Famicom in 1991 as one of the two protagonists. It was the second installment in the Fire Emblem series and was remade for Nintendo 3DS in 2017 as Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.

Why Celica?:
Not only is Fire Emblem Gaiden the first sequel to the series, but its remake is now the most recent installment of the series and as a result, Celica is one of the few Fire Emblem heroes to make multiple appearances as a main character. She also appears as a playable character in Fire Emblem Warriors.

What makes Celica unique?:

Celica is a preistess. A class that is new to Super Smash Bros. She has the power of Fire, Seraphim, Thunder, Recover, and Aura. She has many other divine abilities as well, including shooting a beam of light from the tip of her sword upward into the sky, as well as the ability to spawn angel wings.
See 2:38 for her unique abilities.

It's not certain if a Fire Emblem 16 character will make a playable appearance in Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch, but it seems unlikely. If such is the case, Celica is nearly a shoo in.

Whether or not she will appear alongside Alm or if they will be separated once again is up for debate, but if either of them appear alone, Celica is both the more unique option and she has appeared alone in Fire Emblem Warriors.
Ayy that's a nice write up. Celica for Smash. Though how did you forget Ragnarok it's like her signature spell lol.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Huh, just barely but boy is that a weird thought. I hate the "I feel old talk" but thinking of Game Cube as retro definitely does make me feel old.

Maybe we need to start having multiple decade old retro picks as well as recent retro picks lol.
Yeah. As someone who grew up in both the N64/Gamecube era i'm starting to feel pretty old realizing that generation is coming close to being two decades old.

Which in turn makes me feel like an old man. :skull:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom