• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't believe the rumors, but I don't believe in going "this is so boring!" because you didn't play any of the games enough to know them well, either.

It's a perfect balance. :drshrug:

D

Deleted member

I'm psychic.

When the Grinch leak showed up, my first thought was "it's fake". It wasn't just a lucky guess, it's totally my psychic ability.

When the list with Steve, Hayabusa and Doomguy showed up my first thought was "it's fake". Considering we have established that i'm psychic, you can all stop discussing this leak now. Cuz i'm totally psychic.

I offer palm readings and fortune telling services.
Are Spawn or Freddie Krueger going to appear in MK11?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm psychic.

When the Grinch leak showed up, my first thought was "it's fake". It wasn't just a lucky guess, it's totally my psychic ability.

When the list with Steve, Hayabusa and Doomguy showed up my first thought was "it's fake". Considering we have established that i'm psychic, you can all stop discussing this leak now. Cuz i'm totally psychic.

Wasn't there a guy who said his aunt was a psychic and Ashley was going to be in and then it turned out she was an Assist trophy.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
>5 Third Party characters representing popular and historic series
>"Bad ending"

Say it with me everyone:
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad

You do realize this is a game where a homicidal flying dragon/lizard thing can fight against giant darkness monsters, Satan with wings, or literal ****ing Dracula who transforms into a demon, right?

This game also has an official trailer where, you know, said homicidal flying dragon/lizard thing crushes Mario's skull and impales Mega Man.

I think Doom Guy is fine.
I mean if they were all really popular characters I’d agree but they really aren’t :S

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Wasn't there a guy who said his aunt was a psychic and Ashley was going to be in and then it turned out she was an Assist trophy.
To be fair, I forgot to ask if they'd be playable. I just asked if they'd be in the game.

My bad on that one...
I mean if they were all really popular characters I’d agree but they really aren’t :S
Are you referring to popularity within the
S M A S H
B U B B L E
? ? ?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
To be fair, I forgot to ask if they'd be playable. I just asked if they'd be in the game.

My bad on that one...
1513673812741.png

If you still believe it (pretty sure she got stuff wrong), now's your prime time to do a second reading.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
People think Ryu Hayabusa is boring? Just wait until they see him with some crazy mechanic like being able to crawl and hang under the stage and platforms or something.

Been a while since i've posted, I lurk time to time... Don't really see too much real on topic discussion so I never feel too inclined to post. But given there's been some buzz, figured I say somethin'.

But I've been a hayabusa advocate for a while, I really got into the idea after seeing the Fatal Frame content in the direct.

I'm not 100% convinced of the leak either. I just feel like Hayabusa is a safer pick based on other circumstance.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
No, and No

Spawn would have been dlc for Injustice 2 to rep Image comics like Hellboy Reps Dark Horse and TMNT Reps uhhh IDW owns them now i think?

And if Freddie would have been a repeat guest he would have been in MKX fighting Jason.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I really don't get this point. How are they not popular? Most of them are pretty much icons for the genre they belong too, having stayed relevant still.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
The worst part of this ""leak"" is these 5 characters were my predictions and now I'm not allowed to have them anymore. :sadeyes:
My DLC predictions are based on what Reggie said, series you wouldn't consider Nintendo or would seem like pipe-dreams, and companies that were on board with the Switch before it even launched.
  • DOOMguy (I would say Dragonborn, but I feel like Bethesda would rather advertise DOOM Eternal.)
  • Crash (Would be a great middle finger to Sony, Spyro HD doesn't have a Switch release yet but CTR was announced with one.)
  • DQ Rep (Erdrick or Slime, I feel Joker is different because he is by far the most popular Persona character at the moment, Luminary isn't.)
  • Joker (He was already announced.)
  • Wildcard, there's a lot I'm leaning towards here. (Steve or Ryu Hayabusa, both Minecraft and Koei were on board with the Switch early on.)
I think the second DLC announced is going to make or break a lot of predictions.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
People think Ryu Hayabusa is boring? Just wait until they see him with some crazy mechanic like being able to crawl and hang under the stage and platforms or something.

Been a while since i've posted, I lurk time to time... Don't really see too much real on topic discussion so I never feel too inclined to post. But given there's been some buzz, figured I say somethin'.

But I've been a hayabusa advocate for a while, I really got into the idea after seeing the Fatal Frame content in the direct.

I'm not 100% convinced of the leak either. I just feel like Hayabusa is a safer pick based on other circumstance.
If he gets the ability to attack while clinging to walls, people will be begging for Kalos and WarioWare to get an immediate ban.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I'm psychic.

Where will I end up in 10 years?

Last edited by a moderator:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Sorry to say, but I doubt Goemon will ever appear in Super Smash Bros. He's not a hugely popular character/series, especially in the West, regardless of how fun the game are and Konami has much more popular characters to choose from that resonate in both Japan and the West, such as the already included Snake and Castlevania reps. Were another Konami character to be considered for Smash DLC in Fighter Pass 1, it would have been between Raiden, Bomberman, and Alucard, meaning one of the latter two wouldn't have been assists (perhaps with Goemon taking their place as an Assist).

I mean absolutely no offense to Goemon, as his games are great, but the lack of popularity compared to other Konami franchises, I think he'd sadly be passed over in favor of one of them.

Umm.. His west popularity volume in comparison, well mainly US is no secret. That's the only thing not going for him. Call me a fan but I think (I could be wrong) he wasn't an AT because he's too good to be one, he solely fit to be playable, nothing less. You see, like a sidekick or a package, I think 3rd parties come with their own ATs. Raiden with Snake, Alucard with Simon/Richter, Mega Man with Elec Man/Zero/Dr.Wily.. etc.. What proves somehow to me (again, could be hopeful thinking) is that Fatal Frame got to be an AT but not Goemon.. I really think that opens up the possibility for Goemon to be one of those 5 DLCs.. oh sorry, those 3 left XD
None taken. Even if you meant to, it really wouldn't bother me much. Well, there're no more "popular" Konami reps left more than Goemon. Also, as I said in the beginning, "popularity volume". He is popular enough in the west to valid a entry imo, though scattered fans and lack of new games is what makes it look otherwise. Been a port in 2017 SFC mini.. so that's fairly recent.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I mean, I couldn't care less about Ryu or Doomguy but I wouldn't call them boring.

Exciting to me? Not at all, but to the general market? Absolutely. They're legends.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I personally think the leak is 100% fake. The dude from Doom is way too terrifying to be in a children’s game.
He was in the leak, right? I haven’t checked in a while.
Everytime I see the "Doomguy is too much for Smash" argument, I'm just gonna post these.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
honestly i would just like some more characters created past the year 2000. i know that a lot of nintendo's most famous characters were created in the 80s/90s but they also have characters from past that too, and there are especially a decent number of third party characters from the last two decades that could probably be better than throwaway retro rep hayabusa

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I mean, I couldn't care less about Ryu or Doomguy but I wouldn't call them boring.

Exciting to me? Not at all, but to the general market? Absolutely. They're legends.
I been saying it all along Ryu Hayabusa was the last NES All Star that was possible (Battletoads are owned by Microsoft now and Bill Rizer and Lance Bean are way way WAY too Projectile heavy)

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I really don't get this point. How are they not popular?
Minecraft is popular, steve isn’t I bet a large potion of the fanbase doesn’t even know he has a name or is a character. Ninja Gaiden isn’t massive seller at all, elrich is from Dq which is really a franchise that is only really popular in Japan, doom guy is barely a character from my understanding and doom is not a crazy popular franchise like it was in its hayday. Joker is probably the most well known and even he is just the protagonist of the newest game in a series that’s still pretty niche. That’s just from an iconic video games/popular character perspective. From a smash fan perspective none of these characters have been claymored for really in droves.

Character popularity isn’t why these characters were chosen

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Ed Boon did an interview, he was asked if Kratos would return. His answer was essentially it's already been done, so probably not. He seems to not be too inclined to repeat guest characters. Hence we didnt get to see Freddy vs. Jason in MKX. As Freddy was a guest in MK9 despite being a perfect match up for X given Jason was in.

Spawn? I mean it's possible. I think he's being sat on for Injustice 3. If they could include him in a story line too... One hell focused with Constantine and Raven... Could be a really cool crossover. Too bad Hellboy won't ass well..

Look me off topic already.
So hypocritical.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
honestly i would just like some more characters created past the year 2000. i know that a lot of nintendo's most famous characters were created in the 80s/90s but they also have characters from past that too, and there are especially a decent number of third party characters from the last two decades that could probably be better than throwaway retro rep hayabusa
Here we go this time with Mr. I Hate Every Character and his Hot Takes. Whats wrong with this one, too scantily clad like Shantae or "I DUN WANT HIIIIMMM" like Sora?

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
If he gets the ability to attack while clinging to walls, people will be begging for Kalos and WarioWare to get an immediate ban.
It wouldn’t necessarily be that OP; he might be able to only stay there briefly, about as long as characters that can already wall cling or less, and maybe he’d detach from the wall after doing one attack and wouldn’t be able to reattach until returning to the stage or at least to the ledge. It’d be useful for recovery mixups and edgeguarding, but you couldn’t stall or anything.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Minecraft is popular, steve isn’t I bet a large potion of the fanbase doesn’t even know he has a name or is a character. Ninja Gaiden isn’t massive seller at all, elrich is from Dq which is really a franchise that is only really popular in Japan, doom guy is barely a character from my understanding and doom is not a crazy popular franchise like it was in its hayday. Joker is probably the most well known and even he is just the protagonist of the newest game in a series that’s still pretty niche. That’s just from an iconic video games/popular character perspective. From a smash fan perspective none of these characters have been claymored for really in droves.

Oh hey, it's the same, tired shtick again.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I been saying it all along Ryu Hayabusa was the last NES All Star that was possible (Battletoads are owned by Microsoft now and Bill Rizer and Lance Bean are way way WAY too Projectile heavy)
I thought this exact same way too.
I recently discovered Arc Systems is a major player too with NES legacy series. Double Dragon, Jake Hunter, and there's one other series I forget. I looked at the history of double dragon... We might be sleeping on it. Unless i'm mistaken.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I believe it’s real because it’s the bad ending like Incineroar/ken (and a plant lol) were the bad ending. Reality tends to have the bad ending so it’s better just to believe that so people can move on from hope and enjoy the base game we have
I, for one, can’t believe that. If I lost hope then life would just become a terrible spiral of sadness.

As for this being the bad ending... no. All of these characters are ones that have massive support and popularity. I’m regretting saying they aren’t big. I just want other characters more. Heck. I don’t even want the Tales character. That just seemed like a likely candidate for a while. If we got Crash, Banjo and DoomSlayer I’d be estatic. If this is the real lift than DoomSlayer would be my highlight. Sure I might not want Streve or Ryu Hayabusa, but lodes of other people do. This is far from the “Bad Ending”

Also, as an aside, how would Ryu Hayabusa be named if he was in Smash? Smash tends to use first names only and Ryu is taken already. Would he just be Hayabusa? That just doesn’t feel right.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Minecraft is popular, steve isn’t I bet a large potion of the fanbase doesn’t even know he has a name or is a character.
A lot of people didn't know Robin's name was actually Robin, they just called him the Avatar. What is your point here?

Ninja Gaiden isn’t massive seller at all
Neither is Castlevania.

elrich is from Dq which is really a franchise that is only really popular in Japan
Fire Emblem was too in the same boat. Besides, we've had a lot of Western love lately with Ridley and Dark Samus, why can't the opposite be applied?

Also how are you just gonna horribly misspell Erdrick like that, like cmon it ain't that hard.

doom guy is barely a character from my understanding and doom is not a crazy popular franchise like it was in its hayday.
It still is popular today, especially since its revival. Doomguy is definitely a character with lore. Maybe you should research this stuff.

That’s just from an iconic video games/popular character perspective.
No it isn't. It's the exact opposite for the "icon" argument standard. What you're saying is that it's your perspective. Nothing's wrong with having your own opinion, but it's not a fact, nor is it heavily supported since you don't know much about these dudes at all.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I don't believe the leak just yet, but if it was real I wouldn't really be disappointed. Joker is fantastic, Hayabusa gives us another ninja so I can't be mad at that (and represents classic NES so that's another point), and Doomguy and Steve have a lot of potential for unique movesets. Erdrick is the one character that I don't really care about, and hey 4/5 is pretty damn good.

That being said, if it's real I think it's fine for people to feel disappointed since they have different tastes and all. I just think to say that none of it is surprising when ****ing DOOMGUY is in is a little much.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It wouldn’t necessarily be that OP; he might be able to only stay there briefly, about as long as characters that can already wall cling or less, and maybe he’d detach from the wall after doing one attack and wouldn’t be able to reattach until returning to the stage or at least to the ledge. It’d be useful for recovery mixups and edgeguarding, but you couldn’t stall or anything.
That's the point. People will overreact over it like they are already. Like how M2King said, people are conservative as heck about stage legality.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511

Every time someone says Doom isn't popular I have to remind them that porting Doom to obscure hardware is the litmus test for any hobby programmer. Bill Gates literally co-opted Doom to push Windows 95. People paid hundreds of dollars to stand in a room just so they could be the first to see Doom 2016's trailer.

Untouch

Smash Master
CsctY[1].jpg

13M isn't popular, odd, Smash's trailers have much less than that, maybe DOOM is too popular for Smash!?

D

Deleted member

To people saying Doomguy is too violent and scary, just going to repost this argument created by a very handsome fellow.
Since we’re full “**** TALKING ABOUT SQUARE” mode, I’d like to say that Doomguy from the original games wasn’t particularly gory. Yeah, the enemies were scary and exploded into blood, but it’s not like Doomguy was running up and tearing their guts out, he was just shooting them with unrealistic guns, which are fair game in Smash. Sure, the reboot made Doomguy full Brutal Doom, but if he got into smash they could just base him on the original.
Doomguy’s violence isn’t really a big problem imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom