• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Every time someone says Doom isn't popular I have to remind them that porting Doom to obscure hardware is the litmus test for any hobby programmer. Bill Gates literally co-opted Doom to push Windows 95. People paid hundreds of dollars to stand in a room just so they could be the first to see Doom 2016's trailer.
Every time someone says Doom isn't popular I rip and tear until it is done.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm sorry, did someone just say Joker is bigger then Doomguy?

Let alone Steve?

What on earth....

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Minecraft is popular, steve isn’t I bet a large potion of the fanbase doesn’t even know he has a name or is a character. Ninja Gaiden isn’t massive seller at all, elrich is from Dq which is really a franchise that is only really popular in Japan, doom guy is barely a character from my understanding and doom is not a crazy popular franchise like it was in its hayday. Joker is probably the most well known and even he is just the protagonist of the newest game in a series that’s still pretty niche. That’s just from an iconic video games/popular character perspective. From a smash fan perspective none of these characters have been claymored for really in droves.

Character popularity isn’t why these characters were chosen
Ignoring the same shtick and the "Ninja Gaiden doesn't sell" stuff because I know **** all so I can't answer that, but are you really implying Doom 2016 wasn't a pretty big success with critical acclaim? The Switch version sold like hotcakes too and people have been VERY excited about Doom Eternal. Sure, it isn't as popular as in the 90's but back then, every FPS was considered a DOOM clone so that's not a fair judgement to say "It isn't the only name that people think of anymore"

Also Ken and Incineroar being the final newcomers were exciting as hell with the best Smash Ultimate trailer, ****ing fight me

Iridium

Smash Hero
It kind of just hurts that the one time my most wanted gets some spotlight for whatever reason, he gets shoved aside like that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Minecraft is popular, steve isn’t I bet a large potion of the fanbase doesn’t even know he has a name or is a character. Ninja Gaiden isn’t massive seller at all, elrich is from Dq which is really a franchise that is only really popular in Japan, doom guy is barely a character from my understanding and doom is not a crazy popular franchise like it was in its hayday. Joker is probably the most well known and even he is just the protagonist of the newest game in a series that’s still pretty niche. That’s just from an iconic video games/popular character perspective. From a smash fan perspective none of these characters have been claymored for really in droves.

Character popularity isn’t why these characters were chosen
You’re talking out your ass on this one.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i'm generally okay with three of the characters on this list, which makes it objectively better than smash 4's dlc, but subjectively i'm more disappointed in it because i actually like ultimate and smash 4 was garbage

like if it was joker, erdrick, doom guy, plus another character i REALLY wanted, then hayabusa and steve couldfill that last slot no problem and i wouldn't be upset. but this list is three characters i'm merely "okay" on, and two i don't really care about, so obviously i'm a bit disappointed

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I have serious reservations about Western owned characters becoming playable in Smash. I'm in no way against it, don't get me wrong. I just won't believe it or consider it until it actually happens.

Given how many characters we currently have on the roster, and not a single one is owned by a non-Japanese dev.

Plus characters like Rayman, Shovel Knight, and Shantae getting benched in the spirits and assist trophies section.

I hope so, but I have my doubts.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It kind of just hurts that the one time my most wanted gets some spotlight for whatever reason, he gets shoved aside like that.
At least your most wanted is getting spotlight.

Joker was seen as a joke until he was actually revealed.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Remember: Anyone is allowed in Smash, except for people I know absolutely nothing about because they aren't the characters I want.

*cries in banjo kazooie*

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
I feel like some people forget that Persona is still a bit on the niche side. At least compared to the God that is Minecraft.
To be fair, Persona is a highly refined JRPG with a well deserved cult following. Minecraft and Doom literally shaped the gaming industry. It's not that Persona isn't memorable, it's that they just aren't comparable in scale.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Umm.. His west popularity volume in comparison, well mainly US is no secret. That's the only thing not going for him. Call me a fan but I think (I could be wrong) he wasn't an AT because he's too good to be one, he solely fit to be playable, nothing less. You see, like a sidekick or a package, I think 3rd parties come with their own ATs. Raiden with Snask, Alucard with Simon/Richter, Mega Man with Elec Man/Zero/Dr.Wily.. etc.. What proves somehow to me (again, could be hopeful thinking) is that Fatal Frame got to be an AT but not Goemon.. I really think that opens up the possibility for Goemon to be one of those 5 DLCs.. oh sorry, those 3 left XD
None taken. Even if you meant to, it really wouldn't bother me much. Well, there're no more "popular" Konami reps left more than Goemon. Also, as I said in the beginning, "popularity volume". He is popular enough in the west to valid a entry imo, though scattred fans and lack of new games is what makes it look otherwise. Been a port in 2017 SFC mini.. so that's fairly recent.
No character is 'too good' to be an Assist Trophy though. I mean, Isaac, Bomberman, Zero, Knuckles, Shadow, and Alucard are all Assist Trophies and they are all popular, beloved characters that many would say are 'deserving' of being playable.. Raiden didn't come with Snake though, that's Grey Fox, from the first Metal Gear Solid.
Fatal Frame got an Assist Trophy for two main reasons.
1) Not much combat potential in a camera.
2) Nintendo half-owns the entire series from some point onwards.
Bomberman is clearly more popular world-wide then Goemon, again, no offense, yet Bomberman was made an Assist Trophy. I don't think Bomberman would be any more or less 'good' then Goemon in regards to being an Assist Trophy or Playable Character.

In regards to being popular enough in the West..not really, I'd say he was more niche. I mean, I was big into the Nintendo 64 and I barely remember Goemon unless I see his design (which is very distinct and unique, I will say)..and I remember Glover for crying out loud. Its a Cult Classic if anything. I didn't even know that a GameBoy game released at the same time.
And then in regards to not having any popular Konami series left, I'd disagree since we still have Contra, Silent Hill, Suikoden, Zone of the Enders, and Adventure Island, all of which have seen more success in the West then Goemon did.

Would Goemon be a unique and fun fighter? Oh, yes, absolutely. Will he appear as anything more then maybe a Spirit? No, probably not..not when they could add a more popular character from a new or existing series from Konami like the ones listed above or Raiden from Metal Gear or, more likely, another developer entirely since Konami already has 3 characters in the game so I could see them wanting to pick from a different 3rd Party dev with more popular series to include Namco Bandai (Tekken, Tales of), Disney (Kingdom Hearts), Square-Enix (Dragon Quest, NieR, Chrono Trigger), Microsoft (Minecraft, Banjo-Kazooie), Activision (Crash Bandicoot, Spyro), etc.

I just feel that given all of that, Goemon's chances seem much more slim since, for most Western players, he would be a 'literally who' and 'literally what' in regards to his character and series respectively.

Noipoi

Howdy!
To be fair, Persona is a highly refined JRPG with a well deserved cult following. Minecraft and Doom literally shaped the gaming industry. It's not that Persona isn't memorable, it's that they just aren't comparable in scale.
Oh totally, I didn't mean to imply that Persona wasn't famous or memorable.

KickleCubiclist

Smash Apprentice
I mean, while it isn’t comparable, it does receive critical acclaim.
And let’s be real, Rodea the Sky Soldier will never be in Smash.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Minecraft is the spawn of Satan because it is ugly and poopooheaded and children play it.

Eww, poopooheaded children. Ew.

#SomePeople.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Was it that bad? Not doubting what you're saying, but maybe I wasn't around during this time. I was just trying not to lose what hope I had left.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
A lot of people didn't know Robin's name was actually Robin, they just called him the Avatar. What is your point here?

Neither is Castlevania.

Fire Emblem was too in the same boat. Besides, we've had a lot of Western love lately with Ridley and Dark Samus, why can't the opposite be applied?

Also how are you just gonna horribly misspell Erdrick like that, like cmon it ain't that hard.

It still is popular today, especially since its revival. Doomguy is definitely a character with lore. Maybe you should research this stuff.

No it isn't. It's the exact opposite for the "icon" argument standard. What you're saying is that it's your perspective. Nothing's wrong with having your own opinion, but it's not a fact, nor is it heavily supported since you don't know much about these dudes at all.
Oh I don’t give a crap about Robin either lol, I’m not saying it can’t or hasn’t happened before I’m explaining why it’s not a decision made to please fan popularity

Castlevania is verywell know to video game fans though and even has an anime on netflix.

There’s a ton of Japanese love in smash it’s filled Japanese bias, so I understand the pattern doesn’t mean that it is for fan popularity or iconic status which are things many value in character picks

It’s because I don’t care about Dq and I went from memory

Doom guy is the only pick I might be swayed on maybe deserving a spot but am very apathetic towards him and annoyed since the opportunity to get an FPS icon like Master Chief is passed up vs him

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I am a very serious gamer and only play VERY serious things.

Fortnite is also trash because I don't like it because, uh, NINJA, and uh, POOPOOHEADED CHILDREN and....

Have I told you about what a megawatt star Banjo is still?

Microsoft would totally pick him.

Who is Master Chief or Steve really?!

#SomePeople

KickleCubiclist

Smash Apprentice
I am a very serious gamer and only play VERY serious things.

Fortnite is also trash because I don't like it because, uh, NINJA, and uh, POOPOOHEADED CHILDREN and....

Have I told you about what a megawatt star Banjo is still?

Microsoft would totally pick him.

Who is Master Chief or Steve really?!

#SomePeople
Fortnite is also a good game and I will defend that statement until I die

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Minecraft is actually a really fun game.
Yes I said it. Fight me.
It's personally not my style of game, but I can certainly see why it's become megawatt and why people love it so.

I can also see how if you could get it to work in Smash, why it would be totally fine for it to be present.

Potato_

Smash Lord
**** em. At the end of the day if it's true Ryu is in.

Plus whenever a character gets in and people actually see their moveset a lot of them come around. Look at Incineroar.

guilty as charged

To be fair I always thought he'd be really cool, I just thought his chances were literally 0 as well.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Remember: Anyone is allowed in Smash, except for people I know absolutely nothing about because they aren't the characters I want.

*cries in banjo kazooie*
BUT WHAT ABOUT UH...

GOOMBETTE FROM PAPER MARIO 1000 YEAR DOOR? SHE'S TOTALLY A POPULAR PICK AND WAY BETTER THAN STEVE THAT STUPID CUBIC ******* HE ****ED MY WIFE AND NOW WE'RE GETTING DIVORCED AND THEY'RE TAKING THE KIDS PLEASE SAMANTHA I LOVED YOU COME BACK.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
So I still am not convinced by any leak anymore, But about Doom Guy

would make sense to have him as the First FPS Rep in Smash (Prime doesnt count)

Wolfenstein created the genre

Doom Perfected it

And Halo Modernized it

(and CoD milked it into the grave)

But out of those three, Master Chief is a mascot for a rival system... And as for Wolfenstein weeeeeellll

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom