• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I’m probably overthinking it, but to me it seems like there are a lot of opportunities to announce newcomers related to upcoming switch games or possible switch games
And unlike 4 there’s a precedent with inklings being announced after the splatoon 2 dlc
Metroid Prime 4 - Ridley
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (or new entry) - Dixie K. Rool
Mario Tennis Aces - Waluigi
New animal crossing(?) - Isabelle
Xenoblade 2 dlc - Rex/Pyra

Any other ideas?
Xenoblade X port/sequel?? (a reach but PLEASE NINTENDO)

Also maybe a SF:Zero sequel, might be too soon for that tho

Last edited:

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
If we got Hunter as a playable character I can imagine his alts would have 4 bases.
Hunter (default)
Rosie
Dino
Dina

Each would have a different color. Hunter would swap colors with Rosie and Dino will swap colors with Dina.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Huh, that leak that had Football Manager in the Switch's data...
It came out last week. The Touch version, that is. A first for home consoles. Hmmm...

But of course we are ignoring the true matter here: The Football Manager for Smash!

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
Is there a chance that Persona 5 JOKER would be included in Smash bros for Switch?
I'm talking about this guy:

Seriously, Persona 5 is more popular.
Even an anime of this is made.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
paper Mario and game & watch crossover to Kickstart the revival.

Also what do u think about a new game & watch rep in smash?
I think they should a Mrs. Game and Watch and have her look and play the exact same as Mr. Game and Watch to show that gender doesn’t define a person, nintendo paving the way to the future

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I would love for a Persona 5 character to make it in, you can obviously tell that I am a big fan, but that is a dream to wish for. I don't think we will much new third party characters in the game.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Is there a chance that Persona 5 JOKER would be included in Smash bros for Switch?

Had you asked me before cloud was revealed I would’ve said no, but now I really hope so

Darkhorse for sure.

Persona 5 is/was a huge release. And we know Joker is coming to Nintendo consoles with Persona Q2. Not a super likely choice because of just how new he is (although Persona surely isn't) and it he can't really compare to other characters we have like Cloud or Ryu, but not impossible.

Again, dark horse.
:061:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
One meta aspect I would love about Joker is that if he's voiced by Xander Mobus again, that would technically mark the first time the announcer of a Smash game would also voice a playable character.

Speaking of which, I hope Xander reprises his role. He's so fun.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I’m probably overthinking it, but to me it seems like there are a lot of opportunities to announce newcomers related to upcoming switch games or possible switch games
And unlike 4 there’s a precedent with inklings being announced after the splatoon 2 dlc
Metroid Prime 4 - Ridley
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (or new entry) - Dixie K. Rool
Mario Tennis Aces - Waluigi
New animal crossing(?) - Isabelle
Xenoblade 2 dlc - Rex/Pyra

Any other ideas?
I would hardly call Smash with Inklings right after the Splatoon DLC a precedent.
I think they should a Mrs. Game and Watch and have her look and play the exact same as Mr. Game and Watch to show that gender doesn’t define a person, nintendo paving the way to the future
If they really wanted to show that gender doesn't define a person, they'd just rename the character "Gender Non-Conforming Game & Watch" :p

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I personally hope they don't do character reveals after specific game directs or announcements. It would be too predictable.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I personally hope they don't do character reveals after specific game directs or announcements. It would be too predictable.
True, but also it'd be kind of ****ty to the game itself.

''We're going to overshadow you with the biggest crossover game in gaming is that cool?!"

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
I think the best hope for both Daisy and Waluigi is that they add a tag team feature in smash
Or something involving 2 vs 2 or dual combo attacks

Mario/Luigi, Peach/Daisy, Wario/Waluigi, Bowser/Bowser Jr, Link/Zelda, Fox/Falco etc
I don’t think that’s likely though
Rosalina/Luma?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I would hardly call Smash with Inklings right after the Splatoon DLC a precedent.

If they really wanted to show that gender doesn't define a person, they'd just rename the character "Gender Non-Conforming Game & Watch" :p
Or just Game & Watch, but I was being tongue in cheek regardless haha

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
If Plusle & Minun were added how would they go about it? Make them a 2-in-1 Pikachu clone or make them unique?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
If Plusle & Minun were added how would they go about it? Make them a 2-in-1 Pikachu clone or make them unique?
Always wanted to see them in Brawl for some reason

I'd say more of some similar moves with moves that makes them feel them (Follow Me, Fake Tears, etc) would be perfect for their unique tag team role. Maybe some weak thunder attacks in combos too

I made a theory regarding Smash Switch's roster, connecting the roster with Switch content in 2017:

https://smashboards.com/threads/a-theory-about-how-the-smash-switchs-roster-could-be-done.454317/

This is what I have been doing for the past 6 hours. It is very rough, but I want to get a discussion going about the effects Switch content has on Smash Switch's roster.
*reads the thread*

*sees the roster*

Nope, not gonna happen man. Some of those choices are very unrealistic and I am NOT going to go through that hellhole of an argument with you like 2013/2014.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I still don't see Sora happening despite being an interesting choice. Disney truly is a fickle company, and I don't want the words ©Disney to be on everything KH related. Nor do I want the meme from the FFRK community to spread.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
It didn't originate as a video game character, so chances are nil. Why, it isn't even a character....

At best it could be a way to obtain trophies or some sort of mini game and even that is stretching...

Last edited:

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
I still don't see Sora happening despite being an interesting choice. Disney truly is a fickle company, and I don't want the words ©Disney to be on everything KH related. Nor do I want the meme from the FFRK community to spread.
Finally someone else who realizes this!

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
What would a Mach Rider stage be like? Something similar to Big Blue? Or how about Mario Circuit styled? Perhaps they'll choose to once again go the Mute City route. I hope to see something interesting!

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
@APC99 I was inspired by your roster to update mine, so I'll have a go:
5Roster.png

I think this is a pretty safe, idealistic roster. Before DLC it sits at 71 characters, adding 11 new characters to the base roster. There's a few things on this roster that I'm a bit skeptical of, particularly what I did with Xenoblade, but I think it's a good idea of what can happen. I'm not the biggest fan of ending up at 76 characters, I think it's too large, but with DLC being ever so likely, we're probably going to add onto our roster more and more after the game comes out.

A few of my bolder predictions:
  • No cuts: I don't particularly wish to cut anyone, the roster we had already was a pretty solid lineup. It's also much harder to predict/easier to start fights on threads so I just nixed the thought entirely. I also added Ice Climbers and Wolf back, as does everyone.
  • DK: I added both Dixie and K. Rool. I think they both have a lot going for them. Gun to my head, I'll go with Dixie, but I can realistically see the two of them make an appearance.
  • Xenoblade/ARMS: Oh boy. I think that ARMS and XC2 were already presented to Smash's team as possible new games to be included. They both are very likely to have been much farther along by the time Smash started development, so I can see them added in this way. However, I think Elma is also a very deserving character and is a good rep for X. My gut reaction tells me that there'd be more of an inclination to promote the new Xenoblade game rather than X, so that's why I put Elma as DLC.
  • DLC options: I think a new Pokemon and FE rep are likely, as is Crash for future DLC. As for Sora, let me live a lie and think he's going to be added, thank you.
  • Honorable mentions include Shovel Knight, Banjo-Kazooie, and Chibi-Robo. RIP in pieces

I feel like a bit of a sellout, not including my faves like Midna or Mimikyu, so forgive me. Also, this is, again, a REALLY safe roster. It only adds 4 new franchises to the base roster (6 including DLC). I am pretty sure we'll see some more, out-there characters from new series. I'm just super basic and have no creative bone in my body.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Nintendo also did deals with Universal Studios for a theme park rather than partner with Disney.

Disney do not need money or promotion they are far bigger than Nintendo could ever hope to be. If anything they would be in the power position during negotiations.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
so...not a game character...
I mean if we want to get next level pedantic, it's technically a game character, just not a video game character. :p

Though honestly I don't think it matters for something that's already Nintendo-owned. The video game rule seems more likely to be for third parties anyway, due to licensing and whatnot.

Not that I think "Mr. Hanafuda" is ever happening, mind you.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Nintendo also did deals with Universal Studios for a theme park rather than partner with Disney.

Disney do not need money or promotion they are far bigger than Nintendo could ever hope to be. If anything they would be in the power position during negotiations.
Exactly, and no offence to sora and kingdom hearts but while the franchise is big it's nowhere near as big or impactful as Final Fantasy, Street fighter, sonic, mega man or pac-man. I don't think the payoff is even worth the money they'd have to dish out.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean if we want to get next level pedantic, it's technically a game character, just not a video game character. :p

Though honestly I don't think it matters for something that's already Nintendo-owned. The video game rule seems more likely to be for third parties anyway, due to licensing and whatnot.

Not that I think "Mr. Hanafuda" is ever happening, mind you.
Yeah, Sakurai only spoke of the whole "game character" thing in reference to 3rd parties as is. We have only technical examples of those who didn't originate in games, but they're also partially/fully owned by Nintendo(Lucario was in the movies first, and R.O.B. didn't literally originate in a game). But they were clearly made for the games too. It'd be interesting to get a Nintendo character who didn't originate in a game or was made for a game by debuted somewhere else first. Is there any good examples of this beyond... Nester and Mr. Hanafuda anyway?

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Blue's not the only one who wants Daitoryo; he's been my third most wanted character for a long time.

Not being a video game character isn't a problem since he's Nintendo. He also made an appearance in Pikmin 2.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Blue's not the only one who wants Daitoryo; he's been my third most wanted character for a long time.

Not being a video game character isn't a problem since he's Nintendo. He also made an appearance in Pikmin 2.
The video game character rule is just for this set of forums. Either A) They originate in a video game or B) They're owned by Nintendo(but must have a video game appearance). That's the rules we have set to allow a support thread for a character.

We don't know Sakurai's view on Nintendo-owned characters. The only two characters who didn't debut in an actual game were still made for video games. He might actually want characters who were meant for games and no one else for all we know.

Mind you, yes, the "originate in a video game" thing was intended for 3rd parties, but a lot can change on his mindset. He's denied characters before(see: Villager) but changed his mind for many reasons. Views of things are everchanging.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

I feel like my thread's OP is relevant here.

Nintendo has produced Hanafuda cards featuring Mario and Pokemon characters for a few years now. Both parody the Daitoryo box.

In the Japanese version of Album B, there is a reference to the Bush Warbler from the February suit.
The "Talisman of Life" treasure in the game is actually a box of Daitoryo cards.
The Nintendo-created Clubhouse Games for Nintendo DS included Koi-Koi (the most popular hanafuda game) in its collection.
In the Japanese version of Mona's game "Quite Touched", the cherry blossom ribbon card appears.
You could purchase three separate hanafuda themes for your 3DS right now if you so desired.
The February Bush Warbler card is referenced.
When hackers broke into the NES Mini's emulation software, they found the following message:
The lapels on the Happi outfit include the lettering 任天堂, Nintendo's name in Japanese, with the Marufuku logo above it. This same lettering is prominent on Nintendo products, namely Hanafuda, from the 1950s.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The video game character rule is just for this set of forums. Either A) They originate in a video game or B) They're owned by Nintendo(but must have a video game appearance). That's the rules we have set to allow a support thread for a character.

We don't know Sakurai's view on Nintendo-owned characters. The only two characters who didn't debut in an actual game were still made for video games. He might actually want characters who were meant for games and no one else for all we know.

Mind you, yes, the "originate in a video game" thing was intended for 3rd parties, but a lot can change on his mindset. He's denied characters before(see: Villager) but changed his mind for many reasons. Views of things are everchanging.
Thing is, as alluded to when Sakurai discussed James Bond, a non-video game third-party character would be an absolute licensing nightmare (which is the real reason why I don't expect to see them at any point).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom