• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
dragon quest has a ****ty composer who hates the west
final fantasy is square's golden baby so they won't let anyone touch it any more than absolutely necessary
kingdom hearts is disney

bravely default is a small dev team that's worked well with nintendo on 3 games including octopath and has previously given out music to final fantasy crossovers like theatrhythm with no problem
I'm sure there's a lot of Japanese developers that hate the west and worst.

I'm probably wrong in saying this, but I feel like Disney is more apt to lend their music to Smash than either DQ or FF because Disney knows the power of branding and marketing, whereas Square doesn't. Disney knows what Smash Bros. is. They DEFINITELY know what Pokemon is, too. If you asked Disney what they'd be willing to throw to get close to Pokemon, they'd tell you it's a lot.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Where is shadow? And no sonic black alt doesn't count. Would like him for dlc if he's not an echo

D

Deleted member

Doomguy but he represents the Quake franchise, so the pack won’t have any Doom 2016 music that isn’t on the new Quake.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Doomguy needs to play fast.

Not like Sonic, but maybe like Marth or Captain Falcon.
He seems like he'd be a heavy fighter with multiple projectiles. So, I doubt he'd be as fast as Captain or Marth.

Also Captain Falcon isn't that slower than Sonic.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Can someone breaking the licensing hell differences of Dragon Quest v. Final Fantasy v. Kingdom Hearts?

I feel like all 3 are equally treacherous
Disney has gone on record saying that they would leave everything to Square Enix and Nomura if Sora were in Smash so it's not like they would have any issues really. In general, Sora's utilisation is actually a two-way street - from the strictest legal standpoint, Disney own the character but they always consult with Nomura and Square Enix when using him in any marketing as they want to respect the original creators and not betray the vision of the characters or the fans.

They also said that they would have to get the invitation from Nintendo so at this point Sora being in Smash is down to Nintendo and nobody else.

Music wise, I actually think Kingdom Hearts is safe and could have a wealth of tracks if Sora made it in. The rights are a lot less complicated than Final Fantasy as Yoko Shimomura has been the series composer since it's inception and she has a number of songs in Smash already.

You can find more info here:

https://forums.khinsider.com/kingdo...oras-rights-his-chances-being-smash-bros.html

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
joker was honestly enough, but add edea/a BD character and the next three fighters could be spike, boom boom and dr luigi and the pass would still be worth the £22.49 i shelled out for it

the fact that there's data for a fighter called 'brave' sitting in the game right now, even if it's erdrick, is wild enough already
My hopes are somewhat deflated from how much the odds seem to be stacked against it and people echoing how it is probably Erdrick, but this is definitely still the most hope I've had for a bravely character making it.

I haven't bought the pass yet, but I would definitely buy it instantly if it was somehow a bravely character. I would buy it even harder if it was Edea.

Erdrick is still fine though. He'll probably be cool.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I hope the leak is fake because I’d be personally pretty disappointed considering I’m interested in none of those.

No Crash, Sora, or Banjo.

Erdrick- A lock, he’s Incineroar 2.
The more you deny him, the more likely he happens.

Ryu- Meh, never played Ninja Gaiden.

Doomguy- Not a DOOM fan but would be happy for the fans.

Steve- God please no...

This could be another Grinch leak since nothing’s been debunked yet but doesn’t necessarily confirm it.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Rosalina looks like Peach..so clearly she'd be a Peach clone.
Bowser Jr. is just Bowser as a Baby, clearly he'd have the same moves but weaker and faster.
This is common in this fandom. People don't think about how a character could be unique, if a character has similar moves in their home series (or even a single similar move) or a similar appearance, clearly they'll be a clone.
During the Brawl days, I recall seeing many people saying that Mega Man would just be a Samus clone due to having a Charge Shot in his home series or that Lucario 'replaced' Mewtwo and was even a Mewtwo clone due to having a similar standard special.

Seriously, some parts of this fandom can be pretty dumb sometimes.
Some people just don’t know how to expand their creative minds
Where is shadow? And no sonic black alt doesn't count. Would like him for dlc if he's not an echo
my guy...Shadow is still an Assist Trophy character

Untouch

Smash Master
I want DOOMguy to be incredibly mobile, but have poor air movement and poor weight (he's pretty fragile in DOOM).
DOOM is known for how much control you have over DOOMguy, so I think a moveset where none of his special moves actually stop him would be amazing.

D

Deleted member

joker was honestly enough, but add edea/a BD character and the next three fighters could be spike, boom boom and dr luigi and the pass would still be worth the £22.49 i shelled out for it

the fact that there's data for a fighter called 'brave' sitting in the game right now, even if it's erdrick, is wild enough already
Implying Dr. Luigi wouldn't be the hypest character of the Fighter Pass.

EDIT: Lol, there was a draft for an older post at the top of this one. Well, derp. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I hope the leak is fake because I’d be personally pretty disappointed considering I’m interested in none of those.

No Crash, Sora, or Banjo.

Erdrick- A lock, he’s Incineroar 2.
The more you deny him, the more likely he happens.

Ryu- Meh, never played Ninja Gaiden.

Doomguy- Not a DOOM fan but would be happy for the fans.

Steve- God please no...

This could be another Grinch leak since nothing’s been debunked yet but doesn’t necessarily confirm it.
Which leak are you talking about?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
My hopes are somewhat deflated from how much the odds seem to be stacked against it and people echoing how it is probably Erdrick, but this is definitely still the most hope I've had for a bravely character making it.

I haven't bought the pass yet, but I would definitely buy it instantly if it was somehow a bravely character. I would buy it even harder if it was Edea.

Erdrick is still fine though. He'll probably be cool.
The only reason I've not discounted a Bravely rep yet is the weirdness of the 'Brave' codename being in English while PP is in Japanese—especially since 'brave' is an actual term used in the Japanese BD and would be more relevant to the devs. On the one hand, naming a BD character 'Brave' would be the worst-kept secret of all time; on the other, I don't entirely understand why they'd call Erdrick by a rough English translation of his Japanese class name, since that just seems both needlessly convoluted for an internal name and incredibly obvious to any Western dataminers (aka where the bulk of it comes from).

Honestly, if they wanted to keep this stuff a secret and confuse dataminers then I don't see why they didn't just use random dictionary words. Speculation would be a lot more interesting if we had Piranha Plant, Joker and 'Banana' to argue over...

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
They had Roy and Ryu's victory themes tagged with their actual names when they were added two months in advance.

Nintendo doesn't seem to care much about datamining.
Which is half the point, really - using internal codenames that read less like DLC secrets and more like the Riddler's latest challenge to Batman makes me scratch my head. You'd think that if they want to actually hide these characters, they'd go all the way.

Untouch

Smash Master
Also I see a lot of people say that Erdrick can't have a unique moveset and he's too generic.
You could probably make a totally unique moveset for every character, I feel Sakurai has gotten VERY good at making characters feel unique.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Also I see a lot of people say that Erdrick can't have a unique moveset and he's too generic.
You could probably make a totally unique moveset for every character, I feel Sakurai has gotten VERY good at making characters feel unique.
Everyone unless you're from FE okay, I'll stop, 1 1/2- out of 7? ain't 'bad' :ultrobin:

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Not exactly super hype for the rumor. I kinda question if it is even true due to the part about Steve being held back. It seem very possible this part is fake and is just piggybacking off of Verge's old claims.

Joker: Very cool, was always interested in playing P5 but it was a Sony exclusive. Not what I expected but I will take it.

Erdrick: Not interested in DQ at all. Don't mind but also don't care.

Ryu: Not too interested as well, but if he makes it in I would consider checking him out more.

Doom Guy: Pretty hype and is one of my wanted character, though I kinda question if he has a chance as he is a western character.

Steve: Sigh. I really don't want Steve. I am cool with Minecraft and would be okay with a boss or a stage, but I don't really find any appeal in Steve himself. Plus, imagine if there was a Banjo and Kazooie skin cameo was in the stage xP (they would just randomly appear in the background and wave hi). The salt would be pretty insane for this character and I kinda fear that.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I probably read wrong because Im ****ty in the morning without my coffee but post that already assume the doom dude are 100% in the game

again unless I read something wrong, in that case, my b

yeah, there it is
thats what I meant
I just dont want to see many manybsad peeps because they didnt keep their expectations in check
Right on the money. I think Erdrick's chances are looking very high, but personally, I'm not so sure about Steve, Doomguy, and Hyabusa just yet. I'm going on #TeamFence for this one until there's concrete evidence.

D

Deleted member

Erdrick isn’t just a sword user.

He can cast spells and equip many types of weapons like whips, boomerangs, axes and lances.

osby

Smash Obsessed

He can cast spells and equip many types of weapons like whips, boomerangs, axes and lances.
Yeah, that didn't prevent Corrin or Cloud from getting hate. Some parts of Smash fandom just automatically freaks out whenever they saw swords at this point.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Regarding the Ryu/Steve/Doomguy leak...

If Erdrick does end up being a DLC character, it does not, in anyway shape or form, make the leak more likely.
Erdrick's name is being thrown around so much that pretty much anyone could've just put him in the leak to make it seem real.
Until we see one of the other 3 characters confirmed, this leak's pretty much just another run-of-the-mill text leak.

As for the actual characters:
Ryu and Doomguy are fine; I've got no real opinion towards them.
Steve... ugh. I just don't want him in. (This coming from someone who likes Minecraft)

D

Deleted member

People saying Erdrick would be generic reminds me of when I said Simon would be boring.

Just like I was totally wrong about Simon, I suspect people will be surprised to find out that no, a DQ character would be anything but generic. Then again, I don't think it's that people really think he'd be "generic", it's more so "I don't like this, so I'm going to find whatever minor flaw I can and blow it out of proportion".

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord

While I don't claim there is too much sword characters. The response of "x isn't just a sword character, they have magic" is starting to be really generic.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
What’s keeping this leak alive anyway?
it got erdrick right, presumably

thats literally it. this only came out after erdrick became a popular prediction, so i'm not even giving it that much credit. if you guys wanna talk about how this leak is real then i can find a number of other leaks that would be real because they guessed erdrick

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I like seeing "I dont want another persona with a sword in smash" getting automatically followed up by "I want Lloyd"
Hey, he has two swords
Yeah, that didn't prevent Corrin or Cloud from getting hate. Some parts of Smash fandom just automatically freaks out whenever they saw swords at this point.
Probably because they're constantly getting beat by them online.

Albeit, Cloud and Corrin also had far more in the way of circumstances that stirred up hate; Dragon Quest has the nigh-impervious nostalgia barrier around it.

D

Deleted member

People saying Erdrick would be generic reminds me of when I said Simon would be boring.

Just like I was totally wrong about Simon, I suspect people will be surprised to find out that no, a DQ character would be anything but generic. Then again, I don't think it's that people really think he'd be "generic", it's more so "I don't like this, so I'm going to find whatever minor flaw I can and blow it out of proportion".
A simple search on the DQ Wiki or even just asking about him is enough to know about the abilities of a character.

When i don’t know about something, i either don’t talk about it when it is brought up or just get informed about the topic before saying a word.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
...you guys realize that the DOOM/Hayabusa/Steve rumor isn't confirmed right?

From what i'm seeing, some are taking it as fact.

D

Deleted member

While I don't claim there is too much sword characters. The response of "x isn't just a sword character, they have magic" is starting to be really generic.
I just shared how he has more than a sword and magic (whips, lances, boomerangs and axes being some of them).

D

Deleted member

god if steve gets in i can't wait to see how they handle minecraft's music
Minecraft music is jist so iconic they don't need to even remix
They need Calm 4 though
imagine yoshi and kirby fighting to this
It sounds meh tb
Not a "fan" of either per se (haven't played them) but I'll pitch in a bit.

Here's the only Ninja Gaiden track I know. Albeit a remix (though also one of the most recent tracks associated with the series because it hasn't had much aside from re-releases this decade): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jaIUlz-wNU

MMmmmmm good and manly
Ninja Gaiden music good though

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

The more I hear about Erdrick, the more I'm starting to like him. Being a Dragon Ball fan and being the closest we'll get to Goku will be memed to high hell. Plus, depending on which proportions they settle for, I can see him being an ideal model swap for Trunks. We also lack another sword and shield user that isn't just the Links already.

The only small thing preventing me from believing Erdrick is 100% in is the whole Square fiasco. Who knows though? Maybe someone from the FF team that isn't Nomura has most of its content by the balls and they're the bad egg making the rest of the company look awful. Meanwhile, whoever runs most of the DQ stuff is actually chill and maybe we'll get comparatively more content with Erdrick? I hear the music thing isn't actually that big an issue either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom