• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

>Terry Crews is the fighter.

>Minecraft gets the stage.

>Gears Of War gets the Mii costume.

>Halo gets the music.

>Rare only gets Sea Of Thieves and Kinect Spirits.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Is Banjo too fat for smash?

Clearly immobile. Too much Chungus

1546551108140.png
sh?

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
>Terry Crews is the fighter.

>Minecraft gets the stage.

>Gears Of War gets the Mii costume.

>Halo gets the music.

>Rare only gets Sea Of Thieves and Kinect Spirits.
Realtalk, I'd pick up Mii Gunner as a secondary if I could make him look like Marcus Fenix.

And I'd just quote John Dimaggio every match.

"THEY'RE SINKING CITIES WITH A GIANT WORM."
"Godammit they're gonna ruin my ****ING TOMATOES."
"GOD DAMN SON OF A *****!!!"
"THAT'S FIVE, MOTHER****ERS!!!"

...now I'm starting to see why he might not fit in Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It didn’t stop K.Rool, so idk.

But he sure would be worse than Little Mac in regards to the recovery.
TBH I'm not sure it's possible to have a worse recovery than characters like Little Mac and Bowser Jr.

Iridium

Smash Hero
TBH I'm not sure it's possible to have a worse recovery than characters like Little Mac and Bowser Jr.
Can't have a worse recovery if you don't have one.

:ultdoc:'s is definitely worse than Bowser Jr.'s, though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Remember when the data for a playable Microsoft logo was found in the code of Super Mario Maker?

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Do it. Put and iDOLM@STER character in.

I want a character like Sans, or Miku. Someone to screw with the whole fanbase.
But I kinda like the idea of those characters. They're big internet phenomena who are loved or hated at worst. I can think of other characters who exist within the Scrappydom.

Personally though, I kind of favor Haruka over Miku. Just personal preference.

Noipoi

Howdy!
But I kinda like the idea of those characters. They're big internet phenomena who are loved or hated at worst. I can think of other characters who exist within the Scrappydom.

Personally though, I kind of favor Haruka over Miku. Just personal preference.
I like those characters too.

I would unironically main Sans or Miku if they got in.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Since when was Bowser Jr's recovery bad? His Up-B goes up a fair distance and his Side-B is good for horizontal recovery.

D

Deleted member

Since when was Bowser Jr's recovery bad? His Up-B goes up a fair distance and his Side-B is good for horizontal recovery.
From footage I've seen, it seems really bad against good edge-guarding and gimps. He's left pretty helpless after using it.

EDIT: Side-B has pretty poor endlag too, doesn't it? You have to wait for the spin to end before you can do anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You know, the most frustrating thing to me about the Mario roster in Smash is that it’s constantly argued of
whenever or not it’s had enough characters despite being Nintendo’s flagship series and still not having the characters that are missing.

After Brawl where it had no newcomers, Mario started having 2 new characters once a game and funny enough, it’s never the ones some people mostly want.
Paper Mario & Toad for Smash 4? Nope here’s :4bowserjr: &:rosalina:(not saying they’re bad choices just making a point)

Waluigi & Geno for Ultimate? Nope here’s :ultdaisy: and :ultpiranha:.

At that point, people will say that Mario has had enough characters but it really isn’t because there’s still glaring omissions like Toad & Waluigi as well personal desires like Geno or Paper Mario.

Mario’s character representation in Smash is just so bizarre because we’re in a timeline where Mario in a lab coat and an generic obstacle are added before any of those aforementioned characters.

It’s just my two cents on it.
Sakurai and crew are giving us the Mario characters we need...but not the ones we deserve and/or want
Yeah. Had it for a while and just one day they didn't have them them anymore and the worker there made it seem like they weren't allowed to give out honey specifically anymore. Like all the other dipping sauces are fine still but just no honey. Wonder if there is something going on between the local ones and the place they usually get the honey from or something.
Also apparently the ones around where my boyfriend lives have like a big box of nuggets that mine doesn't which is sad.
A big box of nuggets...all Wendy’s should have this
I'd say most people preferred Rosalina, Bowser Jr, Daisy, Toad, and Waluigi to Paper Mario. Most people (aka not the avid Smash fans) just see Paper Mario as Mario and he's already in twice with Mario & Dr. Mario while the others are popular characters that appear in Spin-offs like Mario Kart, the sports titles, and Mario Party, making them much more well known.

In regards to the Smash Fanbase, it doesn't help that people claimed Rosalina would be a Peach clone and Bowser Jr. would just be a smaller, faster Bowser clone before their reveals making people less open about supporting them. Yes, this happened..shows that this fan base rarely knows what it's talking about when saying so-and-so character would just be a clone, only one they got right was Daisy thus far.

Haven't heard anything about the former, but the latter that I've seen have Wendy aged up primarily. They also probably know that actively not condoning it will just increase it..and it gives them free publicity in a funny sort of way..
Rosalina thought of as a Peach clone...and Bowser Jr being a clone of his daddy...how could people think such a thing?
I think that it is possible.
Captain Toad would probably have a worse recovery.
Captain Toad would have the greatest recovery ever...to make up for the lack of jumps

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
His side B makes him go in reverse a little, causing many a SD because they just backed into the blast zone, and his up B can get gimped and it's far more punishing than any other character as Bowser Jr. can't use it again when hit from it until he hits the ground or ledge

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Side-B is good for horizontal recovery.
>be at the very edge of the blast zone
>use side-b to recover because no other options
>get ko'd because side-b winds backwards before going forwards

"wtf bro i thought my recovery was good wtf"

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
>be at the very edge of the blast zone
>use side-b to recover because no other options
>get ko'd because side-b winds backwards before going forwards

"wtf bro i thought my recovery was good wtf"
well...you’re likely not wrong

D

Deleted member

TBH I only learned recently that the Bowser Jr.'s recovery doesn't look very good. It was after watching those Project Wendy videos, lol.

So, is the character really that bad? 'Cause all those videos made them look really bad. Of course, they're meme videos, so it could just be part of the joke, but I'm honestly curious.

Last edited by a moderator:

LetterO

Smash Lord
Eh, I guess I can understand that it leaves him pretty open, but it's still pretty good as far as reaching the ledge goes.

On another note, I really wish Chrom wasn't the character I saw online 85% of the time. In a game with 74 characters, it sucks that I'm only seeing this one character so much.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
TBH I only learned recently that the Bowser Jr.'s recovery doesn't look very good. It was after watching those Project Wendy videos, lol.

So, is the character really that bad? 'Cause all those videos made them look really bad. Of course, they're meme videos, so it could just be part of the joke, but I'm honestly curious.
Bowser Jr. got good buffs

but then again, so did (:ultcloud:almost:ultbayonetta:) everyone

Only real great thing Bowser Jr. got buffed on was Mechakoopa. Great for memes and jank, but not great for competitive unless you always hard read.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I figure i’ll weigh in a bit on Paper Mario.

No pun intended, but Paper Mario is one of my pipe dream characters. There’s an extreme amount of moveset potential simply based on timed attacks and partners alone, and it’s all something that few other characters would be able to copy.

While he is a 3rd Mario, it simply isn’t the same as the 3 Links being similar or even a Dragonball game with 16 million Goku characters. For one, Zelda games have followed a similar formula from game to game, except most recently with Breath of the Wild. Considering this, and despite different items, it made sense to make them each fight similarly based on that train of though: all three are the hero, just different interpretations.

While Toon Link could have used the hammer, it wouldn’t mesh with the rest of the playstyle, and that’s what I think of lot of character speculators miss. You can’t just shoehorn every ability into a character and expect the moveset to work. There’s also the fact that Young Link and Toon Link were added for a few reasons, one of which being the assets available from Adult Link.

Goku, on the other hand, is Goku. It’s the same guy, just different versions that are all known for the same things. He punches, kicks, and blows **** up. The only difference is his power level, which is quite a different concept from an entire line of games.

Paper Mario is different in several respects. His games aren’t anything like the mainline Mario games, and therefore provide us with plenty of opportunities for unique concepts. His main weapon being a hammer, and with his buddies/timed attacks in tow, I think there’s a lot to dig into with him for sure!

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I like those characters too.

I would unironically main Sans or Miku if they got in.
My little sister would lose it if she got Miku. She's up there with Saber and Reimu as some of the most talked-about characters for DLC, courtesy of 5chan. The best of both worlds would be to have at least two Fighter's Passes that cater to both the East and West in varying ways.

tf is the pun here
The word "pipe". Mario's associated with that term.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can't have a worse recovery if you don't have one.

:ultdoc:'s is definitely worse than Bowser Jr.'s, though.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Doc's recovery. Oof, I like the Doc, but I honestly could never main him because of that recovery.

On another note, I really wish Chrom wasn't the character I saw online 85% of the time. In a game with 74 characters, it sucks that I'm only seeing this one character so much.
Welcome to fighting games, where everyone bandwagons the character that everyone complains about online and because of tier lists. (Not saying it's wrong to do that, of course. Up to you who you wanna play.)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Let's just say this. Chrom's recovery is harder to gimp than Junior's up B as Chrom can actually go "Nah ***** come with me"
Beej's recovery isn't the absolute best, but there are far worse.

Cries in :ultincineroar:
Are you recovering low or high? Also remember to use directional airdodges if you're close to the ledge after a side B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom