• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I can forgive Fates's crimes because it gave me Forrest but that's the best thing I can say about its writing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I feel like I'm actually better overall with Lucina than Zelda, but I win more with Zelda. Marth clones are used so often that people have adapted their strategies to them; Zelda and DK are far less used, so we gain an advantage we don't have on Lucina: common online players don't know our characters in and out anymore.
In general, expect a lot of wins if your opponent doesn’t have matchup experience. It really shows online.

Anyway, I won’t get into Elite with any other character but Diddy anyway.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
To be honest, I expected worse. Got all the 3 routes, didn’t regret it. I bought Conquest, but the damn story made me hate myself and purchased Birthright before I even finished it. In fact, I finished Birthright before Conquest.
Interesting. Because I finished Conquest first and couldn't finish Birthright.

Conquest: "Okay, wow, this story is dumb and I think I hate Corrin, but I can ignore that for the music and gameplay. This is solid."
Birthright: "...and now I'm bored. Do I have to play another map? This is generic as hell and I suddenly just want to play Awakening instead."
Revelations: (three years later) "Oh right I never played this even though I bought it. May as well."

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
To be honest, I expected worse. Got all the 3 routes, didn’t regret it. I bought Conquest, but the damn story made me hate myself and purchased Birthright before I even finished it. In fact, I finished Birthright before Conquest.
Let's just hope Three Houses isn't three separate houses of games

D

Deleted member

If I had to rate my Fire Emblem Experiance:

• Best Fire Emblem Games: Radiant Dawn, Path of Radiance
  • Solid Fire Emblem Game: Blazing Sword
  • Meh Fire Emblem Games: The Sacred Stones, Echoes Shadows of Valentia
  • Dull Fire Emblem Game: Binding Blade
  • Worst Fire Emblem Games: Shadow Dragon, Awakening, Fates.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Conquest has easily THE best overall maps and gameplay in the entire series.
I see this claim come up fairly often so I'm wondering if you could elaborate? I won't deny Conquest comes the closest to the standard FE experience of all of the recent games, but I remember a lot of the maps relying more gimmicks & enemy skills than anything albeit not as much as Revelations.

Fates as a whole was kind of blur to me so I'm curious to know what stands out in people's minds.

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I heard there's like a buncha (fake?) incest **** in there
That’s like...all over the game (though Camilla makes it no problem)
Anyone else get better results with characters other then their main? Like even though I play Shulk more I get more wins and overall do better with Chrom lol. I just perform better with him, though I have more fun with Shulk so I enjoy playing him more even if I lose more.
I only have better results using my main combo of :ultpit::ultinkling::ultsonic::ultdarkpit:, with wins from subs (:ultrosalina::ultduckhunt::ultdoc:) or :ultchrom: being a plus

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Interesting. Because I finished Conquest first and couldn't finish Birthright.

Conquest: "Okay, wow, this story is dumb and I think I hate Corrin, but I can ignore that for the music and gameplay. This is solid."
Birthright: "...and now I'm bored. Do I have to play another map? This is generic as hell and I suddenly just want to play Awakening instead."
Revelations: (three years later) "Oh right I never played this even though I bought it. May as well."
Time for more controversial oppinions, Let's go!
I actually like Conquest, including the story, although it wasn't great. Corrin is an idiot, that much must be accepted, but the other siblings on the Conquest side (except for Camilla) were well written characters and I freaking love Iago.

Birthright was just boring to the point that I almost didn't start Revelations.

Revelations was "fun" but suffered from "too many characters"-syndrome, meaning that only Corrin could get some developement, which het didn't, because it's Corrin.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Best Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn :ultike:
Great Fire Emblem games: Echoes, FE12 :ultmarth:, Awakening :ultchrom::ultrobin::ultlucina:, Blazig Sword, Genealogy of the Holy War
Solid Games: Sacred Stones, Sword of Seals :ultroy:, Fates :ultcorrin:
Decent Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (just underwhelming)
Can’t play cause it’ll kill me: Fire Emblem 5

Lollipopped

Smash Lord
So we're talking about Fire Emblem now, huh?
I never played FE, but I was thinking about starting with Fates or Awakening.
or I might just start with Heroes

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Time for more controversial oppinions, Let's go!
I actually like Conquest, including the story, although it wasn't great. Corrin is an idiot, that much must be accepted, but the other siblings on the Conquest side (except for Camilla) were well written characters and I freaking love Iago.

Birthright was just boring to the point that I almost didn't start Revelations.

Revelations was "fun" but suffered from "too many characters"-syndrome, meaning that only Corrin could get some developement, which het didn't, because it's Corrin.
As far as I am aware don't most people have issues with Xander in that route and not Camilla? Also is your avatar supposed to be a broken image symbol or is smashboards getting that bad with images? lol

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I see this claim come up fairly often so I'm wondering if you could elaborate? I won't deny Conquest comes the closest to the standard FE experience of all of the recent games, but I remember a lot of the maps relying more gimmicks & enemy skills than anything albeit not as much as Revelations.

Fates as a whole was kind of blur to me so I'm curious to know what stands out in people's minds.
You know, it's been three years since I played it, so it'll be hard to go into specifics. But I remember being impressed by the way enemy paths were thought out and positioning your units couldn't just rely on chokepoints every time like Awakening, Birthright and Echoes did. One of my favorites was when you had to fight through the building where they were holding your Hoshidan siblings, then fight your way back out through the same corridors. The use of hallways and multitude of entrances made for a slew of options for both you and the enemy, and really rewarded you for thinking three steps ahead in the way SNES FE games would, rather than just pushing through from point A to point B without accidentally leaving a unit exposed.

In general though, I think it's a blanket statement we use to give Fates some credit. Because in my playthrough, the music and the fun I had in Conquest battles were the only redeeming factors of what was otherwise a very disappointing experience on every front. I'd have to play through it again now to really assess it properly, since I only played the three SNES games after playing Fates.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Anyone else get better results with characters other then their main? Like even though I play Shulk more I get more wins and overall do better with Chrom lol. I just perform better with him, though I have more fun with Shulk so I enjoy playing him more even if I lose more.
Link and Snake are my Top 2 yet Chrom and Ganondorf are easily just as good if not better than them with results. In fact, those 2 are my go to primary characters to go Spirit Hunting.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Best Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn :ultike:
Great Fire Emblem games: Echoes, FE12 :ultmarth:, Awakening :ultchrom::ultrobin::ultlucina:, Blazig Sword, Genealogy of the Holy War
Solid Games: Sacred Stones, Sword of Seals :ultroy:, Fates :ultcorrin:
Decent Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (just underwhelming)
Can’t play cause it’ll kill me: Fire Emblem 5
I actually got Radiant Dawn for my birthday and it's been sitting on my desk for a while (between Smash Ultimate and still not having found the time to finish Ultra Moon and Samus Returns, as well as having a minor addiction to Splatoon 2 and Ultimate Chicken Horse and a borrowed copy of Twilight Princess HD that desperately wants to be played past the first dungeon, I haven't been able to start playing it.)
I heard it's easily the best one. Can you confirm?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Considering the sales numbers Fates had despite what it had

View attachment 185272
I'm just waiting for Fire Emblem: Let's Go! Marth and Let's Go! Lucina.

I'll obviously buy the Lucina version and hate myself after.

HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU HAVE
That game went way down in price this year. It's no longer like $100, it's more like $60. So if you've never played it before, you can justify buying it at a normal "new game" price.

Path of Radiance is the one that still sells for over $100.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm just waiting for Fire Emblem: Let's Go! Marth and Let's Go! Lucina.

I'll obviously buy the Lucina version and hate myself after.
If they're Let's Go games, that means everyone's favorite feature from Fates will return! :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I actually got Radiant Dawn for my birthday and it's been sitting on my desk for a while (between Smash Ultimate and still not having found the time to finish Ultra Moon and Samus Returns, as well as having a minor addiction to Splatoon 2 and Ultimate Chicken Horse and a borrowed copy of Twilight Princess HD that desperately wants to be played past the first dungeon, I haven't been able to start playing it.)
It is! But definitely play Path of Radiance before it! As Radiant Dawn is a direct sequel.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Also is your avatar supposed to be a broken image symbol or is smashboards getting that bad with images? lol
I uploaded an image from my phone which it doesn't want. The obvious solution would be to try again on my laptop but turning that on would mean being reminded that I have a paper due in slightly over a week so I'm biding my time

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Interesting thing about Radiant Dawn. Its English version mistranslated the difficulty modes. What you see as "easy" is actually "normal", and "normal" is actually hard mode. It's a big reason why many considered it "too hard" at the time.

In an ideal world, yeah, play Path of Radiance first since Radiant Dawn is a direct sequel. But it's not necessary and Path of Radiance is expensive. Personally, I like Radiant Dawn more anyway.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
:ultdarksamus:, :ultridley:, and :ultrob: were my crew that I took down the final boss in WoL with. R.O.B.'s been my Smash main for a whole 10 years, and Dark Samus and Ridley are finally the Metroid love I've been missing out on for so long. I've wanted Dark Samus for at least 11 years, ever since Prime 2 and 3, but would've been happy with just Ridley, especially since he's so perfectly represented in Ultimate. But R.O.B. never abandoned me, so I'll never abandon him. I enjoy playing all of them a lot.

But I also enjoy :ultkingdedede:, :ultmegaman:, :ultrichter:, :ultjigglypuff:, :ulttoonlink:, :ultsnake:,:ultganondorf:, :ultincineroar:, :ultkirby:, :ultpeach:/:ultdaisy:, and :ultpichu:. Dedede was my secondary in Smash 4, and I love some of the changes they've made in Ultimate. Mega Man was my fourth (Samus was third, but now I have Dark Samus) and a bit different now, so I haven't fully adjusted to him. Richter's cool because I love Symphony of the Night, but I haven't figured out how to play him very well yet. I started playing Jigglypuff once I finally figured out how Rest worked after 14 years of playing Smash. Toon Link was my initial main in Brawl, before I came to love R.O.B. Started playing Snake very recently, as I hadn't become a Metal Gear fan until 2013, so I only played him occasionally when I went back to Brawl, but have played him here and there in Ultimate, though like Richter, I haven't become proficient yet. Ganondorf was always a challenging yet satisfying pick in Smash 4, but I don't like him as much in Ultimate, as I preferred his old Smash attacks, even if his new ones finally have a sword.

The rest I play less seriously, but just occasionally play to mix things up.

Don't like King K. Rool as much as I thought I might. He's just not my cup of tea. Though I know he's a very strong character, and am glad to see that he's pretty good.

Might also pick up Yoshi more. I played him a few times not very seriously, since Zinith Zinith has made me like Yoshi more just through osmosis, and found that he's actually really powerful in this game. I wasn't even trying my hardest, and I got a score of almost 2 million in Classic with him, which is my highest overall, and I've also mopped the floor with people in Smash matches. His cool felt alt costume only makes me like him more.

But Dark Samus is the character I'll never put down and am going to start trying to get very good with. My goal is to at least get to Elite Smash with her, which I feel I can do in time. Got an ethernet adapter to make sure I have minimal connection issues on my end, but I haven't tested it out much yet, since I've been away from my setup for most of the winter break.
*wrings hands*

My plan is working perfectly. MWAHAHAHA!!! :yoshi:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
what does this even mean?
He asked if I used male or female Corrin like three pages ago.

That started us down this path. We were talking about Zelda at that point.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Based on years of research, I made a tier list on how fun a character is to face in Ultimate.

Good: everyone except
Bad: Any of the Links, Fox, Falco, Cloud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom