• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Main reason I'm not even bothering with Elite Smash. As much as I love this game, the online is a mess ATM, and while I hope it gets better, I'm not holding my breath.
The computer ghost gamed a match for me last night...

Like I put in like three inputs and it took three stocks off a Roy...

I'm not sure how this happened.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to reach Elite Smash with one character at a time?
Yes, and the amount needed is constantly on the rise depending on how popular your character of choice is. You then lose access if your GSP dips below the average needed.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yes, and the amount needed is constantly on the rise depending on how popular your character of choice is.
Yeah, but your character's current score is constantly inflated to automatically adjust to the changes.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Smashing others through Arena > Quick/Elite Smashing

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, but your character's current score is constantly inflated to automatically adjust to the changes.
Ah, didn't know that. Interesting, not as bad as I thought, then.

Honestly, the problem still lies in that Elite Smash shouldn't even be a thing. What should have been put in place is a normal ranked mode that has a set competitive ruleset and matches you up against other players of your rank, like literally every fighting game ever does.

It's Sakurai's game, he can make it how he and his team wants, but IMHO they dropped the ball hard. Mario Kart, ARMs, and Splatoon both offer at least a decent service with proper modes that guarantee you the playstyle you want. The amount of arm twisting Smash does to get you to play everything is obnoxious. I really don't know what they were thinking with the prefered rules set-up. People wanting to play with 1v1 no items rules want that, not "Uh...heckin' FFA items. Two stock. Walk-off stage. Close enough."

D

Deleted member

Everyone knows the only acceptable Arena theme is Studiopolis.

That or any Punch Out! song.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I think I'm missing one track from the Mario series but I can't find and figure out which one it is

Currently I'm at 91 music tracks from the Mario series but according to Smash Wiki there are 92 music tracks

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Then I don't see what was so hard about just keeping Smash 4's setup. I shouldn't have my GSP lowered because I got paired with an item-spamming Pokémon Trainer on Bridge of Eldin.

...Also GSP is an awful system.
GSP would work ok...if they separated 1v1s from teams, FFAs, and item fests.

All require different skill sets. Putting them all together in an arbitrary number is hogwash.

Alas a diverse ranking system is a pipedream.

D

Deleted member

I am going to have nightmares about armies of Ness (Nesses?) thanks to the Ninten fight on the Spirits Board.

D

Deleted member

i jam out to f-zero melody or phantom blood lament of innocence
TBH my biggest dream for DLC is to get Undertale stuff so that I can jam out to Hopes and Dreams in an arena or when I'm in Training Mode.

D

Deleted member

Anyone who thinks the team in charge of online is at all competent is lying to themselves.

Signed,
Someone who got items-on matches three games in a row despite my preferred rules saying otherwise
The worst I've gotten was an items match on Peach's Castle but even then it was 1v1. Other times it's a bad stage with items off that seems from someone completely misunderstanding what's a viable stage.

I get real tired of being put against players who keep items off except the Smash Ball so when it shows up you're caught offguard and get hit by a sudden FS. Fought at least 3 and that's 3 more than it should have been. It's a really ****ty tactic and you can't really tell them apart from normal players since they choose either FD or BF with 2/3 stocks.
Also, while on this topic, **** players who do 3-stock wuth 3 minutes. I only avoided a sudden death by 4 seconds the last time.

D

Deleted member

The worst I've gotten was an items match on Peach's Castle but even then it was 1v1. Other times it's a bad stage with items off that seems from someone completely misunderstanding what's a viable stage.

I get real tired of being put against players who keep items off except the Smash Ball so when it shows up you're caught offguard and get hit by a sudden FS. Fought at least 3 and that's 3 more than it should have been. It's a really ****ty tactic and you can't really tell them apart from normal players since they choose either FD or BF with 2/3 stocks.
Also, while on this topic, **** players who do 3-stock wuth 3 minutes. I only avoided a sudden death by 4 seconds the last time.
I try to get matches with 3 stocks, 7 minutes on Battlefield stages, but even then I feel that can be too short. I would really prefer if we could take it to 10 minutes or above, honestly.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Anyone who thinks the team in charge of online is at all competent is lying to themselves.

Signed,
Someone who got items-on matches three games in a row despite my preferred rules saying otherwise

The computer won a match for me? How can this happen?

Also how many times can one strike back?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Private tournaments would help a lot.

It would be easier to set up the rules on them.

D

Deleted member

I try to get matches with 3 stocks, 7 minutes on Battlefield stages, but even then I feel that can be too short. I would really prefer if we could take it to 10 minutes or above, honestly.
3-stock, 7 minutes is just perfect actually. I think 10 minutes would defeat the point of even having a timer. I've found plenty of players using the same ruleset(you can tell if they have FD instead of BF set as their stage) so I hope it becomes standard for this sort of thing.
Speaking of which, why are there still people using the For Glory ruleset in this day and age? I find way too many 2-stock, 5 minutes on FD.

D

Deleted member

3-stock, 7 minutes is just perfect actually. I think 10 minutes would defeat the point of even having a timer. I've found plenty of players using the same ruleset(you can tell if they have FD instead of BF set as their stage) so I hope it becomes standard for this sort of thing.
Speaking of which, why are there still people using the For Glory ruleset in this day and age? I find way too many 2-stock, 5 minutes on FD.
Competitive players?

Maybe not, but the possibility exists.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Apparently Vergeben said some new things (according to Smashwikis list of rumors). The Square-Rep is possibly a Dragon Quest-Character (possibily Erdrick or Luminary) and was originally planned to be revealed at the Game Awards.

Any thoughts about it?

D

Deleted member

Apparently Vergeben said some new things (according to Smashwikis list of rumors). The Square-Rep is possibly a Dragon Quest-Character (possibily Erdrick or Luminary) and was originally planned to be revealed at the Game Awards.

Any thoughts about it?
Why would they delay the reveal?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
For arena music, I tend to try to diverse it across series.

The ones I've used the most? Kass' Theme and Smash 64's Character Select theme. Both work so well for an Arena.

D

Deleted member

I think people are doing it with the hope that since it was a previously established ruleset, that a lot of others will do it too and it'll increase the odds of actually playing a decent match.

I would much rather 3-stock, 7 min. become the norm as you said, though.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Some people hate change for some reason. Like, I'm looking for free-for-alls, but if I have to do a one-on-one match, at least make it in Battlefield with three stocks. Or anything with three stocks, why two stocks is even a thing?

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Why would they delay the reveal?
Good question. To my knowledge Dragon Quest is not as big in the U.S. as it is in Japan. Maybe they though Persona is "more hype worthy for americans" or something...if what Vergeben said is true that is...

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Tbh i’ve been playing plenty of online and haven’t experienced many issues at all. I’ve had maybe 4 total matches that weren’t what I was looking for.

I think it’s a flawed ranking system because I really would like to know where I stand in terms of top to bottom ranking. I also would like to just mention that GSP and Elite Smash are more similar to the way ranked in Overwatch works, as in the higher ranks (Master, Elite Smash) are purposely hard to keep because it’s purposely separating people who are consistently good vs. had a good streak that one time.

That’s not meant as an insult, it’s just meant to be stacking you us against particular ranked players. Granted, while I feel like i’m pretty good, I still get 3 stocked by some crazy players. I blame my moments of slow reaction timing, which is why I really, REALLY, shouldn’t play at night or when my hands are cold.

Anyway, if you really want to prove to yourself that you’ve got what it takes, I recommend actual tournaments, local or otherwise. I haven’t participated in anything locally, but I want to. There isn’t that bit of lag, and it feels more real imo. GSP and online are nice, but I feel as though there are too many outlying factors that don’t perfectly display your skill level. Like counterpicking stages, having a bad matchup against another character, etc...

Iridium

Smash Hero
So...does no one use the Break The Targets theme ever? Somehow, it just blends in well in almost any situation.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Some people hate change for some reason. Like, I'm looking for free-for-alls, but if I have to do a one-on-one match, at least make it in Battlefield with three stocks. Or anything with three stocks, why two stocks is even a thing?
Why even 3 stock with 3:00 min? What are we gonna do? Fart around until Sudden Death?

5-7 please, also if you have :ultdarksamus::ultsamus: could folks just not pick 'hazards off' cuz it gets real ****ty having to chase you down in paper Mario.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The warning signs were already there when they said in the Direct that the Online would try to match you up with players with similar rules. It's a shame, but with Nintendo's presentations you always have to assume the worst when they tiptoe around things like that, it was the same when they announced the Online Tournaments in Smash 4 and everyone thought the mode would be back for local play as well, only for it to be Online-only, something that would be logical with any other company just isn't with Nintendo.

At this point I think the best we can hope for is a checkbox that says "Only match me up with people with my exact ruleset", it will still be far from ideal, but they're not going to rework the whole thing until the next game/a port to the next console. Nintendo generally needs something or someone to open their eyes as to the fact that Online is actually important, because as is it remains nothing but an afterthought within the company, their Online service is underwhelming to begin with, and that games that do Online well is the exception is frankly embarassing when we now have to pay for it as well (even if it's cheap as dirt).

It should be mentioned that I do appreciate to some extend that this is Nintendo's biggest problem as the rest of the industry is only getting murkier by the day, so I do see them as one of the few companies that I can still trust, and the game itself is absolutely brilliant, which only makes it so much more frustrating.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom