• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Man, Shulk kinda looks ugly up close. He's got resting Barbie face, always smiling and ****. It's creepy.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Pit basically replaced Yoshi during the Smash 4 days lol.

I always loved how they tried to push Pit as an unofficial/honorary member of the 64 crew by always being paired up with Mario/Link/DK/Samus etc in trailers/posters/Subspace.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yup.
He's ****ing horrifying looking in his victory screen.
And now I'll never main him because of it.

:ultpit:basically replaced :ultyoshi: during the Smash 4 days lol.

I always loved how they tried to push Pit as an unofficial/honorary member of the 64 crew by always being paired up with Mario/Link/DK/Samus etc.
or maybe it's because he's sakurai's stepson

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I always loved how they tried to push Pit as an unofficial/honorary member of the 64 crew by always being paired up with Mario/Link/DK/Samus etc.
At the same time slooooowly pushing Jigglypuff out.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Sakurai loves his babies. KI: Uprising being recent had something to do with it as well I bet.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sakurai loves his babies. KI: Uprising being recent had something to do with it as well I bet.
Though you'd think Sakurai would immediately say he would think about another KI project after Ultimate but nah he's just like "lmao i'll just wait a decade and see what happens"

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
If it were up to you, and you could pick only one, should Smash 6 focus on (assuming EVERYONE IS HERE again, for the sake of argument):

*Upgrading assists to playable
*Third party characters
*Giving “under”represented franchises a second or third character
*Untapped Nintendo IPs (Advance Wars, Star Tropics, etc)

I genuinely believe third parties are the only things that could exceed current levels of hype. Barring that, another Zelda, Yoshi, Kirby, and Mother rep feel way beyond due to me.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
If it were up to you, and you could pick only one, should Smash 6 focus on (assuming EVERYONE IS HERE again, for the sake of argument):

*Third party characters

I genuinely believe third parties are the only things that could exceed current levels of hype. Barring that, another Zelda, Yoshi, Kirby, and Mother rep feel way beyond due to me.
The most profitable answer here is third parties, but i'd upgrade assist trophies honestly. There's a ton of potential in these characters.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Or maybe Sakurai would be interested in rebooting another dead series. Not like F-Zero, but maybe he thinks Ice Climber needs a good chunk of lore.

osby

Smash Obsessed

*Third party characters

Upgrading Assist Trophies, give me playable Nintendogs to go with Isabelle and Duck Hunt.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

*Third party characters

What do ya think my answer's gonna be?

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Waluigi and Krystal have always been two of my most personal wanted characters, not the only ones of course but I’ve wanted them for a while.

It just sucked to support them during the Smash 4 days because people greatly despised both of them at the time.

-Waluigi for being an “unimportant” spin-off character and having direct competition with Toad/Jr/Rosalina/Paper Mario/Geno for the “5th Mario slot”

And Krystal for the fan rule of Star Fox not having more then 3 characters, being “unimportant”, and most famously “ONLY FURRIES WANT HER REEE”.

Shame too, cause she was a really vocal pick at Brawl’s time.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

*Third party characters

*looks at signature*
*throws picture of Lyn in trash*

Give me the 3rd party characters.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Dangit this reminds me how sad mah grill Krystal got so close yet barely didn't make it. Wonder if her trophy has been fixed yet though
Weirdly enough, she has the best shot at this point. Starfox still gets a lot of love from Sakurai, while Xenoblade content in Ultimate is fairly scarce. If we end up getting a sequel to Ultimate, and Sakurai miraculously brings back everyone again somehow, Krystal has a chance to get promoted the same way Little Mac did from Brawl to Wii U/3DS, and Isabelle & Dark Samus from Wii U/3DS to Ultimate.

The others meanwhile were either Assist Trophies for at least 2 games straight (establishing that Sakurai is dead-set on keeping them that way), or came in too late to be considered for the base roster. In Rex's case, he's from a franchise that Nintendo might regard as lesser than Starfox in a sense where Sakurai won't see a reason to include anyone else other than just Shulk alone.

It's a shame really. I don't know what will happen to Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, but I'd be pretty bummed out if they're excluded from the player roster in the future as well. You are free to call me a Pessimist Pete btw. I can't fault that accusation at all.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Waluigi and Krystal have always been two of my most personal wanted characters, not the only ones of course but I’ve wanted them for a while.

It just sucked to support them during the Smash 4 days because people greatly despised both of them at the time.

-Waluigi for being an “unimportant” spin-off character and having direct competition with Toad/Jr/Rosalina/Paper Mario/Geno for the “5th Mario slot”

And Krystal for the fan rule of Star Fox not having more then 3 characters, being “unimportant”, and most famously “ONLY FURRIES WANT HER REEE”.

Shame too, cause she was a really vocal pick at Brawl’s time.
Krystal's support didn't age greatly but I wouldn't mind her.

And as much as dislike Waluigi, that 5th slot argument was mind-numbingly stupid.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If you want deep Ice Climbers just play Celeste
Nah dude, you don't get it.

First, they climb Everest.
Then, Nana gets kidnapped by ****ing Satan.
Now Popo has to climb the Nine Circles of Hell with their new pal Lulu to destroy the source of all heat, making everything ice and climbable.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Nintendog would be a great WTF character. Though, I don't like the idea of beating up a normal, realistic, cute little puppy.
Tbh, I think most Assist Trophies have pretty good reasons to be one. Though, if Sakurai proves me wrong and makes Yuri, Akira, Shadow or Spring Man playable, it would be great.

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Krystal's support didn't age greatly but I wouldn't mind her.

And as much as dislike Waluigi, that 5th slot argument was mind-numbingly stupid.
And people would argue that Mario wouldn’t get two newcomers.

There were a HUGE amount of idiotic fan rules during Smash 4 speculation when I lurked here, and I glad a couple of them got broken.

Only a few still remain in Ultimate speculation that have yet to get debunked.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

*Third party characters

Let's give each one some perspective...

Upgraded Assists:
-Ashley
-Waluigi
-Isaac
-Lyndis

Third-Party Characters:
-Shovel Knight (prioritizing his 3rd-party status over his Assist Trophy status, which I will regard as coincidental for the sake of his placement here)
-Shantae
-Ryu Hyabusa
-2B

Underrepresented Franchises:
-Rex & Pyra
-Elma
-Kumatora*
-Skull Kid*

*As far as playable reps go anyway, with diversity being a serious issue on the Zelda side of things

Untapped Nintendo IPs:
-Spring Man w/ Ribbon Girl ε
-Chorus Kids
-Chibi Robo
-Lip

My totally-biased opinion is to stick to Third-Party characters. However, given the amount (re)introduced in Smash Ultimate (including Joker), I think we can expect at least 4 3rd-party newcomers. Mine are just examples at the end of it, but I can totally see other first-party characters being any combination of the ones I mentioned, namely the underrepresented ones. The Assist Trophies are hella dubious, given how it's been 3 games in a row, and Waluigi and Lyndis are both stuck in that position for what seems to be all of eternity.

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Random question: What’s the first character that comes to your mind when you see the word “fan request”?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom