• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Man, I have seen 0 Pit guides anywhere. I'm trying to get better with my edgy boi and there's zilch because nobody even plays him except @TMNTSSB4
This is how I feel about Mega Man, except that the only guides are essentially "Do da thing, and do it in perfect rhythm, under a veeeeery specific control scheme. Also, don't **** up the inputs. Ever."

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So Vergeben just commented about the supposed behind the scenes of Joker's reveal.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77344587/914909217

Nintendo chose Joker as a late decision to tie in to relevancy with The Game Awards since it has multiple nominations and won an award the year before at them.

What makes more sense to do at The Game Awards.... announce a character from something a lot of western fans don't have a bigger connection with from a game series that only got one nomination that it should have won but didn't.... or the character from a game that got multiple nominations the year before and got to win one?
Nintendo got Production IG to put together that anime trailer on short notice because it was something they could do that made more sense for reveal at The Game Awards despite Joker's production status being early in.

He said pretty much what I've been speculating since that latest Sakurai column in Famitsu.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So Vergeben just commented about the supposed behind the scenes of Joker's reveal.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77344587/914909217

He said pretty much what I've been speculating since that latest Sakurai column in Famitsu.
Y'know, I wonder how Verge would know this.

I don't want to just 100% believe all of what Verge says these days because DLC is truly a different tale.

This is the kinda "knowing a companies inner philosophy" thing that makes me tilt my head.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Y'know, I wonder how Verge would know this.

I don't want to just 100% believe all of what Verge says these days because DLC is truly a different tale.

This is the kinda "knowing a companies inner philosophy" thing that makes me tilt my head.
Said it better than I could have. I don't think there's any way he knew all that. Otherwise he would have said so before the reveal. I'm not saying he ain't credible but sometimes you can just say, "yeah, I didn't expect that, but my source is still solid". Feel like he's lying here to just make himself look better.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Said it better than I could have. I don't think there's any way he knew all that. Otherwise he would have said so before the reveal. I'm not saying he ain't credible but sometimes you can just say, "yeah, I didn't expect that, but my source is still solid". Feel like he's lying here to just make himself look better.
And, well, don't trust me 100% because I can't quite get the source, as I'm pretty sure PolarPanda(?) said it a while ago, but from what I understand "Squenix was gonna be the first announcement" wasn't something people commonly heard? And Verge only heard it from one dude?

So why is he still subscribing to it? I don't quite get it.

He's totally credible...for the base game. DLC has proved itself to be an entirely different situation. I can't help but think he isn't entirely convinced by what he's saying.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
That's the plan, but first I need an emulator and the ROM. Two things i've never downloaded before.

I am not versed in the ways of pirating.
Friendly warning about emulating Mother 3:
The rhythm-based combat mechanic is kinda screwed up in emulation and the timing you're supposed to use won't work. I learned from experience. :dizzy:

Anyway I forgot VergeBen existed lol. I doubt he knows DLC, unless he can disprove that notion.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
:ultsonic::ultcloud:&:ultbayonetta: I can get not having any no matter agitating it is but :ultfox::ultshulk::ultpit:&:ultwario: getting completely shafted from having any new remixes is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Thanks for the tip. I hope it won't make the game too hard...
Yeah. I'm not far in, but there are hot springs to heal your team; use those liberally and don't charge into battle after battle without breaks to heal. Without rhythm attacks you'll do way less damage overall, so be careful, and hopefully you'll enjoy yourself.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
And, well, don't trust me 100% because I can't quite get the source, as I'm pretty sure PolarPanda(?) said it a while ago, but from what I understand "Squenix was gonna be the first announcement" wasn't something people commonly heard? And Verge only heard it from one dude?

So why is he still subscribing to it? I don't quite get it.

He's totally credible...for the base game. DLC has proved itself to be an entirely different situation. I can't help but think he isn't entirely convinced by what he's saying.
According to Verge:

"It was said to me the days after Joker's reveal & in past few days Sakurai's interview proved there was fact behind it. I don't know when Joker was chosen for the Fighters Pass all together but the decision to reveal him was something Nintendo decided on over the original plan for The Game Awards. Which was a Square Enix character being the first Fighters Pass character.

Thanks to KronoXIV my list was released & had repercussion firings happen... but Square Enix character is one that seems to be from Dragon Quest due to how much I have heard that over anything else. Those names are Erdrick (the name I have heard most), Luminary (second most heard & almost always heard when Erdrick is heard) and Slime (I heard about once)"

Until he's wrong about something that isn't inconsequential like the order of DLC reveal, which can be changed around on short notice, personally I still believe him in that a Square rep and minecraft content is coming.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

To be honest, this feels more like damage control. He is right about information coming up loosely at times.

But to be honest, he might not be wrong either. It's at least a good thing to think about. A different perspective. Not saying I believe him, though.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I thought the Mario Bros. lived in the Mushroom kingdom...
unless you're talking about movie Mario/Luigi.
The Mario Bros despite their Italian Heritage actually live in Brooklyn, NY.

Not sure if it’s still considered canon, it most likely is, but yes this was a fact that Nintendo put out a long time ago.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
:ultsonic::ultcloud:&:ultbayonetta: I can get not having any no matter agitating it is but :ultfox::ultshulk::ultpit:&:ultwario: getting completely shafted from having any new remixes is ridiculous.
They're saving the last four for the next Smash. Just you watch, Dee Dude. We're getting
1546156653042.png
&
, and they're all gonna get us new tracks.

...Which is what I would say if any of those characters had a chance to be playable, ahaha, haha, ha...

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
According to Verge:

"It was said to me the days after Joker's reveal & in past few days Sakurai's interview proved there was fact behind it. I don't know when Joker was chosen for the Fighters Pass all together but the decision to reveal him was something Nintendo decided on over the original plan for The Game Awards. Which was a Square Enix character being the first Fighters Pass character.

Thanks to KronoXIV my list was released & had repercussion firings happen... but Square Enix character is one that seems to be from Dragon Quest due to how much I have heard that over anything else. Those names are Erdrick (the name I have heard most), Luminary (second most heard & almost always heard when Erdrick is heard) and Slime (I heard about once)"

Until he's wrong about something that isn't inconsequential like the order of DLC reveal, which can be changed around on short notice, personally I still believe him in that a Square rep and minecraft content is coming.
Still doesn't explain how Verge or his source would know the inner philosophy.

The Squenix rep is FAR beyond Verge at this point.
Minecraft content is up in the air as insiders like Ryce have come out against it.

He does confirm his belief that the Squenix rep is a DQ character though. Interesting.

A Squenix rep being the first revealed was something Verge was absolutely definite on. It's not fair to say it's inconsequential when it was one of his very few big beliefs regarding DLC.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Hell, Wario himself has been neglected since Brawl especially since he was one of the main poster boys for it during the time.

He gets buffed every game that’s a given but nowadays he just feels like a character that’s just there, despite being of the bigger Nintendo characters, Smash just seems to forget he exists unless they showing the whole roster like the mural.

He doesn’t appear in trailers, promotional art, commercials, box art, completely absent in WoL, barely anyone mains him etc.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The wrong order of reveals is a definite hit to Verg's knoweldge of DLC. That said, plans can change, so he's not discredted about the knowledge yet. It just means he's not as reliable for DLC as what thought earlier.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Vergeben said:
announce a character from something a lot of western fans don't have a bigger connection with from a game series that only got one nomination that it should have won but didn't....
Does anyone know what game he is referring to?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Hell, Wario himself has been neglected since Brawl especially since he was one of the main poster boys for it during the time.

He gets buffed every game that’s a given but nowadays he just feels like a character that’s just there, despite being of the bigger Nintendo characters, Smash just seems to forget he exists unless they showing the whole roster like the mural.

He doesn’t appear in trailers, promotional art, commercials, box art, completely absent in WoL, barely anyone mains him etc.
Yeah! Give Wario some love in the next game!

In the form of new remixes and having Waluigi and Ashley playable.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

That but with my boi

And crossing out "box art" unless you live in Germany

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Still doesn't explain how Verge or his source would know the inner philosophy.

The Squenix rep is FAR beyond Verge at this point.
Minecraft content is up in the air as insiders like Ryce have come out against it.

He does confirm his belief that the Squenix rep is a DQ character though. Interesting.

A Squenix rep being the first revealed was something Verge was absolutely definite on. It's not fair to say it's inconsequential when it was one of his very few big beliefs regarding DLC.
Well if the plan originally was to have a Square reveal first and it just changed, then his statements are all reasonable.

But there's no way of us knowing what the original plans were so we're back at square one.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
They're saving the last four for the next Smash. Just you watch, Dee Dude. We're getting View attachment 184814,
&
, and they're all gonna get us new tracks.

...Which is what I would say if any of those characters had a chance to be playable, ahaha, haha, ha...
Dangit this reminds me how sad mah grill Krystal got so close yet barely didn't make it. Wonder if her trophy has been fixed yet though

Noipoi

Howdy!
Dangit this reminds me how sad mah grill Krystal got so close yet barely didn't make it. Wonder if her trophy has been fixed yet though
So many good characters were made assists in this game. I'm glad they're in the game at all, but when Smash 6 rolls around in ten years it wouldn't hurt to pick a few characters from the assist list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom