• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
K.Rool mains are loads of fun! Their reactions when a Fire Emblem character uses counter on his recovery is hilarious
I would think that would only work against bad K Rool's. Typically when a character is directly under a FE character, the counter does little to nothing (just from what I've seen).

segillav

Smash Apprentice
Small detail I noticed: If you play on stages that have the Mario question blocks like Mushroomy Kingdom or 3D Land without having items on, the question block will appear like it does when it's been hit. This is different from Smash 3DS where you could still hit the question blocks but nothing would come out of them.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
God, now I want a Phoenix and Layton dual reveal and I'm sad it won't happen. I loved their crossover game a bunch.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
We're talking about the highest grossing media franchise in the world, and one that adds at least 70+ potential movesets to each new installment...

Makes total sense to me
...when did I say this? I don’t even remember when I commented this but evidently I did.

I for one don’t necessarily think Pokémon will get a DLC pick, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did. I sincerely do not know where this comment came from though.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If we really are getting those huge shock characters like Reggie said and in the same vein as Joker and a potential Erdrick, I don't think we'll be getting Wright or Layton.

I feel like if they're going to pull for that shock value they'll go for something more recent. More topical I guess. That's why I'm pulling for a Doom Slayer, a Dante, or a Leon. They're characters that are recent but also iconic. Then again, Erdrick, if he is coming isn't very topical so I could see some one like Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden coming in as well. I'm not feeling Layton or Wright though. Not that they wouldn't be good additions. I just don't think it's their time.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
...when did I say this? I don’t even remember when I commented this but evidently I did.

I for one don’t necessarily think Pokémon will get a DLC pick, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did. I sincerely do not know where this comment came from though.
No, actually I said that. And in response to it; whether it makes sense or not isn't really what I'm getting at. It's annoying to me personally. I just know that, "Welp, might as well not even speculate one of the characters cause it's a guaranteed Pokemon that I'll probably never play as." A la Greninja and Lucario.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm currently forming my thoughts on Smash Ultimate base game speculation and the November direct from a month ago.

I have a few questions.

1. As of current, are you still motivated to speculate Smash Ultimate's DLC fighters?

2. What do you think of the way Sakurai disconfirmed a ton of fighters in the final direct? Do you still feel upset about it?

3. Has the direct affected you to the point where you just want to forget the newcomer purge and just focus on enjoying the game and nothing more?

I would appreciate in-depth answers. :)

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
If we really are getting those huge shock characters like Reggie said and in the same vein as Joker and a potential Erdrick, I don't think we'll be getting Wright or Layton.

I feel like if they're going to pull for that shock value they'll go for something more recent. More topical I guess. That's why I'm pulling for a Doom Slayer, a Dante, or a Leon. They're characters that are recent but also iconic. Then again, Erdrick, if he is coming isn't very topical so I could see some one like Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden coming in as well. I'm not feeling Layton or Wright though. Not that they wouldn't be good additions. I just don't think it's their time.
I mean I can see wright over layton. I have no evidence to go on, but Pheonix Wright seems a little more mainstream and recognizable to the general public.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

I would think Layton would be pretty shocking to people because they will go "Isnt he from a puzzle gane, can he fight?" They they show him fencing everyone sees just how good he is

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Professor Layton is probably more shocking than recent iconic characters in the sense that people just wouldn't expect it.

Although Doom Slayer, Dante, or Leon would be good choices for representation of their series and history.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

I feel like if they're going to pull for that shock value they'll go for something more recent. More topical I guess. That's why I'm pulling for a Doom Slayer, a Dante, or a Leon. They're characters that are recent but also iconic. Then again, Erdrick, if he is coming isn't very topical so I could see some one like Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden coming in as well. I'm not feeling Layton or Wright though. Not that they wouldn't be good additions..
Shock value? Layton and Phoenix have it too.
No one is expecting a professor in a lab coat and a lawyer to be in Smash among dragonslayers, timeless heroes, and genocidal villains.

By their design and history alone their inclusions would be shocking.

To be pedantic, in general people would be expecting/asking for Dante more than those two if you went to ask people at tournaments or chat rooms.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Disregard; got back from lunch and the thread moved another 6 pages. Again.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm currently forming my thoughts on Smash Ultimate base game speculation and the November direct from a month ago.

I have a few questions.

1. As of current, are you still motivated to speculate Smash Ultimate's DLC fighters?

2. What do you think of the way Sakurai disconfirmed a ton of fighters in the final direct? Do you still feel upset about it?

3. Has the direct affected you to the point where you just want to forget the newcomer purge and just focus on enjoying the game and nothing more?

They are not going to be very in-depth, but;

1. Yeah, I'm interested. It's hard to come up with names, but I feel like a very interesting set of five characters is waiting us.
  2. I don't care? I loved that I got Spring Man and Yuri as Assist Trophies and Isaac returned.
  3. Newcomer purge isn't a thing. We're going to get new fighters no matter how many characters speculation lists loses. I was going to enjoy the game regardless of newcomers. Like, Spirits was great, why everyone only talks about CSS?

D

Deleted member

Other people have said this, but you could reasonably argue that every character ever would be ‘unexpected’ or someone you wouldn’t anticipate.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I do think that Wright has a much greater chance than Layton - AA7 is on the way and Capcom already has their foot in the Smash door. Still, after Joker, who knows...

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077

I have a few questions.

1. Nah. I've lost any and all hope for Banjo, so at this point, whatever happens happens. I bought the Fighters Pass as soon as it was available, because characters that I'm interested in or not, I know Sakurai and his team are going to make them interesting and fun to play as. Pick on me all you want, I'm just trying to have fun.

2. Well, sorta. Ever since I saw Ridley and K. Rool come back, I was kinda sorta gunning for Isaac, Shadow, and some others because I thought the newcomers were truly focusing around fan favorites this time around. I did feel bad for the Isaac fans when he got the shaft again, though.

3. I never really cared about the newcomer purge in the first place aside from the reasons mentioned above. I want to play the game, I want to have fun, and I wanna see who's gonna be revealed in the future. A big part of the joy in Smash for me is finding out who's joining the fray, and that's been true to me ever since 64. And Ultimate has turned my expectations around and then some, so I couldn't be happier with the roster right now. After all, everyone's here :)

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
You know what's weird though, with square's FFXV I feel like they'd want to put Noctis in to push the FFXV agenda. They make all kinds of trash dlc/games with FFXV and keep trying to milk the crap out of it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I have a few questions.

1. I vastly prefer discussing what I'd like to see instead of what I think will happen. Leads to less pointless fighting and just makes the reward at the end sweeter. Crash and Celica for Smash.

2. I never felt upset to begin with. They had to show the content at some point, after all. If anything I feel bad that poor Tapu Koko never got highlighted in a Direct lol. We already knew the full roster anyway, so there's no need to be that mad at a final Assist reel.

3. "Is...Is only game. Why you heff to be med?" The "purge" never stopped me from enjoying the game in the first place. Smash is more than a collection of filled slots on a newcomer bingo card.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

I have a few questions.

1. For the most part, no. Not because it wouldn't be fun, but because I'm banking on the whole pack (well, most of it) being totally out of left field for me. If I can predict them, then it wasn't really out of left field... With the exception of Wright or Layton. I'd honestly say that they have a good shot. But on the other hand, going with the first part of what I said, if I can predict them, maybe it won't happen :bigthink:
  2. I don't care about that. I can play as Inkling and K. Rool, and now a Piranha Plant and Joker, so characters being disconfirmed doesn't particularly matter to me. Besides, I'm also the type of person who is happy a character gets represented in any way regardless. I'd love if my number one most wanted, Goemon, even ended up as a Spirit. If he was an assist trophy, I'd be even happier. Of course, if he's playable, I'd foam at the mouth and probably end up banned from SB from my hype posts.
  3. See 2 about the newcomer purge. I also mostly play the game with people I know, and a lot of people are busy so I don't end up for playing for very long bouts at once. I like it as a game I can pull out to challenge people and have fun with, but I tend to burn myself out if I play too much too quickly.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean I can see wright over layton. I have no evidence to go on, but Pheonix Wright seems a little more mainstream and recognizable to the general public.
I would think Layton would be pretty shocking to people because they will go "Isnt he from a puzzle gane, can he fight?" They they show him fencing everyone sees just how good he is
Shock value? Layton and Phoenix have it too.
No one is expecting a professor in a lab coat and a lawyer to be in Smash among dragonslayers, timeless heroes, and genocidal villains.

By their design and history alone their inclusions would be shocking.

To be pedantic, in general people would be expecting/asking for Dante more than those two if you went to ask people at tournaments or chat rooms.
That's some good points. My problem is how niche they really are. Sure they could warrant some shock value within the community itself but would it really make waves like Snake, Joker, or Cloud? Like, don't get me wrong, I realize unexpected is subjective but I don't feel like having Phoenix or Wright in the game is a big enough deal to make them like a WOW unexpected like Snake, Cloud, Joker, or even Ryu. Dunno. We'll see I guess.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I have a few questions.

Oh no I'm only still on this thread because I need attention and the ability to go "lol **** you Banjo Kazooie or whatever is ass" is too good to pass up

My only issue is that maybe not wait until the last one to show the most anticipated ones, it was still good ****

The **** is the newcomer purge

D

Deleted member

I have a few questions.

1. I mean in the end this is a time-waster. I’m just doing this cause I don’t got much else, so sure, but motivated isn’t the right word.

2. I really don’t care much about it, but I do feel bad for fans of characters like Isaac. Ultimately, what matters most is just playing the game and getting it in my hands. Plus I’m the type who just likes it when something is represented in any way. Look at all those obscure GBA/DS games as spirits!

3. See above. The direct never affected me much in the first place lol, it’s just a game in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
That's some good points. My problem is how niche they really are. Sure they could warrant some shock value within the community itself but would it really make waves like Snake, Joker, or Cloud? Like, don't get me wrong, I realize unexpected is subjective but I don't feel like having Phoenix or Wright in the game is a big enough deal to make them like a WOW unexpected like Snake, Cloud, Joker, or even Ryu. Dunno. We'll see I guess.
Even if you ignore Bayonetta, Persona isn't THAT big.

Oh no I'm only still on this thread because I need attention and the ability to go "lol **** you Banjo Kazooie or whatever is ***" is too good to pass up

My only issue is that maybe not wait until the last one to show the most anticipated ones, it was still good ****

The **** is the newcomer purge
It's like that movie, but instead of real people, you have video game characters.

D

Deleted member

I have a few questions.

1. I'm still interested in discussing it and will be around off and on for it. However, I personally am good with whatever happens, as very few things could top Joker for me. I don't really have a horse left in this race, I'm just waiting to see what happens, lol.

2. Was initially mad about it until I realized a couple hours later that it was super immature and silly to be mad. It's just a game, after all: Not having a specific character is not insulting anyone, it's just the way it goes. A lot of those characters were unfortunately longshots to begin with.

3. I was pretty negative about the Direct at first, but after calming down and rewatching certain segments of it, I came to like a lot of what was shown. Especially after having now played Spirits, I fully admit my initial spite towards it was completely unwarranted, and it is an extremely fun single player mode. Incineroar is super fun, and Ken being the only newcomer shown I dislike is whatever. There's like, what, only three or so characters out of 74 that I dislike? Not a big deal, lol; especially when I got two characters from my top 10 (My most wanted :ultinkling: and third most wanted :ultisabelle:).

Being honest, this is one of those games where it's about as near to perfection as a game can be, IMO. The only real negative I can state is online, and who knows, future patches could bring big improvements like the one we had recently. It's early days yet, and I'm incredibly excited to see where it goes.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
The missing song is the original Ground Theme from SMB3. It's not a remix.

I have a few questions.

1. Yes.
2. Not really to be honest.
3. Again, not really.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I dont see how a Lawyer and an Archaeologist getting in the same game as snake, joker, bayo, megaman ect wouldnt be shoking but yeah we'll see

Last edited:

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994

I have a few questions.

1. To be honest, not really. I like reading discussion, but there are no leads to follow for DLC right now. Joker's reveal upended what I could expect from DLC, and now there's no real way, other than blind guessing, to speculate.

2. I was sad to see Spring Man as an assist, since I feel ARMS had fighter potential; guess that'll have to wait. But other than that, I don't really care. None of the disconfirmations bother me.

3. At first, I remember the direct really feeling underwhelming, but then I ruminated on it over the course of that day, and I was truly excited again. So, I liked the direct.

D

Deleted member

Oh, and if we're on the topic of how big Persona is, it is pretty big now, but not like super big. It's not like a Kingdom Hearts or a Final Fantasy.

Not overly niche IMO, but not a household name by any means.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I dont see how a Lawyer and an Archaeologist getting in te same game as snake, joker, bayo, megaman ect wouldnt be shoking but yeah we'll see
Eh, not saying they wouldn't be exciting but we have a fitness trainer and a secretary. "They come from games where you don't beat the **** out of others" isn't that big of a deal nowadays compared to when Villager was first reveal.

Or I just completely misunderstood the point of your post.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh, and if we're on the topic of how big Persona is, it is pretty big now, but not like super big. It's not like a Kingdom Hearts or a Final Fantasy.

Not overly niche IMO, but not a household name by any means.
It is literally the most successful media franchise on the planet what the hell

EDIT: **** me, Persona looked like Pokemon for a sec

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It is literally the most successful media franchise on the planet what the hell

EDIT: **** me, Persona looked like Pokemon for a sec
A Pokemon character is never getting into PlayStation all-stars guys. It’s just some obscure Nintendo franchise only weaboos know about, stop dreaming.

segillav

Smash Apprentice

I have a few questions.

1. Not really. I've always been more interested in reading speculation than actually actively participating in it. DLC in general is such a different beast from the base roster that I find it difficult to make any solid predictions.

2. I didn't have a huge connection to any of the deconfirmed characters. Shadow is the only character that I think probably should have been shown off sooner, since Knuckles being shown off as an Assist before did make it seem like he got replaced. I also never saw the Rathalos picture as an Isaac hint & I don't think it was intended that way.

3. I didn't dislike the direct at all. My biggest issue with it was that explaining Spirits without the context of WoL at the start made it seem weirdly underwhelming at first, it had nothing to do with the characters that were announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom