• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
That's some good points. My problem is how niche they really are. Sure they could warrant some shock value within the community itself but would it really make waves like Snake, Joker, or Cloud? Like, don't get me wrong, I realize unexpected is subjective but I don't feel like having Phoenix or Wright in the game is a big enough deal to make them like a WOW unexpected like Snake, Cloud, Joker, or even Ryu. Dunno. We'll see I guess.
Third parties are naturally shocking, though.

Calling them niche is incorrect. I won't argue that the series aren't - since they are. They are known to a point but their main gameplay mechanics will make them unappealing at first glance to the average gamer (though do try them, they are more fun than you may think!) and Ace Attorney isn't helped by Capcom's obsession with making western releases digital only (change that, losers)

But the characters themselves? I'd say calling them niche is a tad overblown. Phoenix was in Mahvel and would be known as the lawyer guy to many. Layton has a peculiar design that makes him memorable. Not to mention both have a long history on Nintendo systems. That makes them more recognizable to the potential buyers.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The DLC could be literally anybody and I could be hype at this point.
Well, I lie. Not literally anybody, but if someone I didn't particularly care for or like made it in, it's not gonna make me hate the game less (and they might still be fun to play as anyway, and I'd like to have them for parties and stuff).

Like, if Rabbid Peach made it in I would be more or less annoyed (I don't like the rabbids, despite Mario/Rabbids being pretty good) but I mean I'm not gonna go on the internet exclusively to oh woe is me about it
Um, what did you say? :confused:
"Disregard; got back from lunch and the thread moved another 6 pages. Again. "

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Eh, not saying they wouldn't be exciting but we have a fitness trainer and a secretary. "They come from games where you don't beat the **** out of others" isn't that big of a deal nowadays compared to when Villager was first reveal.

Or I just completely misunderstood the point of your post.
I mean you right, but for the PL and PW fans, it will be hella shocking pf

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I get what you mean, and I kinda agree on some level, but I don't really see it as a bad thing? I dunno, but in my opinion leaving a slot open for a character that's guaranteed to be at least sorta interesting from the biggest multi media franchise in the world doesn't seem like that bad an idea imo.
Plus according to Sakurai Incineroar let him do a concept he had been wanting to do. Pokemon honestly tends to be super varied and tends to have over 70+ new designs each new generation. Even if a pokemon itself is guaranteed the pokemon itself tends to be chosen based on its own merits by Sakurai. Like I imagine TPC pushed Incineroar a fair bit but at the end of the day Sakurai picked that one based on what he thought it would add to the game rather than marketing.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
D

Deleted member

Okay, what would you guys think of this fighter pass? Aside from Zoe of course lol

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Even if you ignore Bayonetta, Persona isn't THAT big.
Compared to Ace Attorney and Professor Layton though? I would say it's quite a bit bigger than both of those series probably combined at this point. And this is coming from someone who isn't necessarily a Persona fan.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I'm currently forming my thoughts on Smash Ultimate base game speculation and the November direct from a month ago.

I have a few questions.

1. As of current, are you still motivated to speculate Smash Ultimate's DLC fighters?

2. What do you think of the way Sakurai disconfirmed a ton of fighters in the final direct? Do you still feel upset about it?

3. Has the direct affected you to the point where you just want to forget the newcomer purge and just focus on enjoying the game and nothing more?

I would appreciate in-depth answers. :)
1. I'm not too interested in speculation to be honest since it will take a long time before they reveal more of them. The roster is already huge as it is so I have so much to keep myself occupied.

2. I wasn't upset about it period, none of the disconfirmed characters were ones I had high desire for but I do feel they should have shown them earlier.

3. Not exactly, I'm just prefer to just keep playing the game and enjoy life without worrying about who's getting in since the devs are really unpredictable with their choices.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Compared to Ace Attorney and Professor Layton though? I would say it's quite a bit bigger than both of those series probably combined at this point. And this is coming from someone who isn't necessarily a Persona fan.
I'd argue Ace Attorney is definitely up there with it. Persona got a decent boost from 5, but Ace Attorney has surprisingly widespread popularity for a 'niche' franchise.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Hi, I found something about smash bros.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77310782?page=1
go to the 15th post its by somebody named underway

I think I've made a pretty good counter argument.

But yeah man no body knows the DLC, anything is possible but yeah, not buying it.

WHO is the Pokémon?

What does it look like?

What type is it?

Is it fat?

Is it hairy?

Does it have stink lines?

I mean saying the name of the 2019 game is more solid than just saying "Oh its a Pocket Men from the 2019 game"

There's nothing there to go on!

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I wish fake leakers got creative with their fake leaks.
It's always the same expected characters, which is funny because the narrative by Nintendo is that characters will be unexpected.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
As of now, Ace Attorney and Layton are pretty big in Japan, at least anime wise.

I often see the currently airing Ace Attorney and the Layton anime in the top 10 TV animation rankings on ANN, getting 2-3 million viewers per week.

I dunno about Persona's popularity exactly anime-wise, but I had a more frequent notable exposure to AA and Layton than Persona.

If you combine both franchise's popularity, they'd overshadow Persona easily. :p

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
It's always the same expected characters, which is funny because the narrative by Nintendo is that characters will be unexpected.
the DLC is cooking mama, lord fredrik, jet the hawk and the oogie boogie man

it's fine if you don't believe me, time will prove me right soon enough

BlueKart

Banned via Warnings
Look I know the rumor is on gamefaqs, but I think this one could be real. It's sounds like choices nintendo would make for dlc.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's the most boring **** ever. The most exciting fake leak was the Jeuxvideo leak because it at least contained weird picks like Black Shadow and Ninten and Reimu. It's always Sylux and Edelgard and Gen 8 Pokemon and before that it was Bandana Dee and Geno and everyone just fills the gaps with whatever Vergeben says is the hot ticket like "Square-Enix rep" and "Ken/Incineroar".

Fake leaks can be fun. These ones are exhausting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom