• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Check the original quote.

Those were the simple days, back when the fanbase was reluctantly tempering their expectations.

Seriously, **** the guy who made the Grinch hoax.
Thanks!

And, also, here's the first response to that post:
Mmm not sure what exactly THIS is. There are some highly requested characters in there I can see though. Would be nice if it's real.
It's nothing too special, though...

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I used to hate :ultyounglink: so why am I silently angry at the thought of his removal?
If were to apply my own opinion, it would probably be because he represents one of the most important games in Nintendo history...
Young Link is the Hero of Time, the most iconic Link from the most iconic Zelda game...
It felt kinda wrong to not have any form of him in either Brawl or Smash 4

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Not really, Team Fake got no losses on their end when it was deconfirmed.
Except for the portion that was hopeful towards DLC of certain characters, then Sakurai came in with Spirits and dashed their hopes too.

and the game he represents was a sony exclusive by the time he was revealed
Cloud has appeared on Nintendo systems before though. Stop spreading that misinformation :L

Soo... Ravio?
The funny thing is that you can consider all current Links representatives of the Adult Time-Line, the Child Time-Line, and the Hero Dies Time-Line. We also technically have Zelda reps across different games, so Ravio would be repping another LBTW character if Zelda's Spirit is anything to go by.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Okay okay yeah that makes sense. I totally agre-

NO.
YOU HAVE LOST YOUR RIGHTS TO SUGGEST CHANGES.
Hey. Young Link is my favorite of the three. But if we had to drop one of the three you know it has to be him.

You know very well that removing a clone doesn't mean more room for a full fledged newcomer...

Say it with me, kids

Clones do not steal slots!
I'm well aware of how game development works. We're talking about ideal representation for franchises, not what-they-should-have-done.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Read my post again, but carefully.
I know what you said. The problem is that whenever the nature of Cloud's inclusion is brought up, it's always about how traces of Final Fantasy VII never left any footmarks on Nintendo before, even though there's proof for the latter. I'd argue that Joker is the first case where a character whose inclusion is essentially "fashionably late" enough to be considered out-there.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Is it just me or does Sheik feels worse in this game? Regardless she's still my favorite character, and one of my mains (Pichu, Roy, and Lucina are the others) so I'm not dropping her, but I want to know if others fell the same way too.
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
The Original Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
E V E R Y T H I N G
Even Metal Gear Survi- *shot with tranq dart, dragged away*

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Cloud has appeared on Nintendo systems before though. Stop spreading that misinformation :L
Yeah, in the same way that Michael Jordan was on the Washington Wizards but no one remembers him for that. Or cares. Or associates him with the team at all.

Cloud is a FF7, Playstation character who also happened to make a guest appearance in a spinoff portable game from a franchise that is, in itself, a game meant to star as many guest characters as possible.

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Yeah for sure. A Resident evil, Tales, Crono Trigger, Dragon Quest and even a Minecraft character would gather more hype than a Nintendo character that would be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Speaking of which, is there any chance you're making "A case for Resident Evil" essay?
I can now. I have no personal stake in the series, but I personally believe Resident Evil has a good chance to be our next Capcom rep (if we get one). Right now I'm stalled on speculation piece #4 because there's a specific piece of evidence I want to use but can't find.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I can now. I have no personal stake in the series, but I personally believe Resident Evil has a good chance to be our next Capcom rep (if we get one). Right now I'm stalled on speculation piece #4 because there's a specific piece of evidence I want to use but can't find.
What's the piece king? Maybe I could help.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I used to hate :ultyounglink: so why am I silently angry at the thought of his removal?
Because Y. Link in Melee was a straight up clone with no significant differences, but now that they changed Link so much, he's like the perfect "old Link" for Ultimate.

It's just a matter of "if we need to represent Zelda as best we can as a franchise", then unfortunately Young Link isn't needed. OoT is represented by Ganondorf, and Majora's Mask would be better served by Skull Kid. Young Link becomes redundant.

That said, he's my favorite Link in Ultimate. I love him. But sacrifices must be made!

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Yeah, in the same way that Michael Jordan was on the Washington Wizards but no one remembers him for that. Or cares. Or associates him with the team at all.

Cloud is a FF7, Playstation character who also happened to make a guest appearance in a spinoff portable game from a franchise that is, in itself, a game meant to star as many guest characters as possible.
And the issue is that whether you're for or against his inclusion, it always comes down to, "THERE ARE NO RULES. EVERYONE IS IN" and "Ugh...Third-party characters ruined everything! Now it's only a matter of time when Mickey-freaking-Mouse is playable!"

Referring to the Fan Dumb in this case, not you or anyone here specifically.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
And the issue is that whether you're for or against his inclusion, it always comes down to, "THERE ARE NO RULES. EVERYONE IS IN" and "Ugh...Third-party characters ruined everything! Now it's only a matter of time when Mickey-freaking-Mouse is playable!"

Well Smash Ultimate is a fanfiction created by Sakurai.
/s

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I'm definitely in the latter group, but it's a pointless argument to have.

I get this weird tick though when someone says "Cloud has starred on a Nintendo console."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom